Completed A Day In The Life

A Day In The Moderately Eventful life of Shane Wallsly: Clerk, Hypnotist, Target for Books about Arms

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Day In The Life

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Timestamp: Day 54 of Fall 513 AV (7th Bell)

Deep within the bowels of Shane’s mind his biological alarm tick, tick, exploded into action! It was time to wake! Shane's eyes lurched open and his upper body lurched forward. He always woke up at this time. Shane slept eight hours every night without fail. He went to bed at 23rd bell and woke up at 7th. If he went to bed earlier he merely had to subtract how earlier he was from 7th bell or, conversely, if he fell asleep later he merely had to add. Sometimes the math was harder than you might think considering the very limited knowledge of mathematics the average peasant was taught. The peasants only really had to know maths for when they were working with money and making purchases etc.

Shane was quite easily a morning person. He had no problem with getting up in the morning and felt little sluggishness. It was the dawn of a new day and, in a way, he was excited to see how it would play out.

Shane moved quickly and efficiently through the darkness of his room. As each item of clothing was located it was put on. In the case of clothing he couldn't put on till a little later he put that on the bed folding them neatly even in the darkness. Shane was used to the darkness. Candles were expensive.

When finally Shane was dressed he exited his room; his home; and headed off to the Great Bazaar. If there was any place in Stormhold Citadel to get hot food in a hurry the Bazaar was where it was. The moment he entered the bazaar he could already spell the many smells of all that mouth-watering food.

Stepping up to a stall with a wide variety of cooked meats he perused what was on offer. Looking up at the merchant offering them he attempted to study the man's expression. However the man noticed him staring and scowled at him “You gonna buy something or just stare all day?”

“Yeah I'll take a hunk of that.” Shane rebutted.

“Aye, that'll be five silver pieces.” The merchant didn't even bother to start wrapping it up for him before negotiating the price.

“Five!” Shane exclaimed. There was no way that meat was worth that much. “Who do you think I am? I'll give you four.” Shane looked into the man's eyes expanding his influence into the man's own. He laced the following words with hypnotic suggestion “It's a pretty good deal. They're only worth three and I'm giving you an extra one.

The merchant seemed torn for a moment before responding gruffly “Four silver, four copper and you petch off right now.”

Shane frowned a little. He couldn't tell whether his Hypnotism had worked or whether the man was just bartering as he normally would or if perhaps a mixture of both occurred? It was a better deal than the first though so Shane took it. He handed over the coins and went on his merry way picking up a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese at another stall...

Receipt :
Hunk of Meat – 4 SM 4CM
Hunk of Cheese – 1 SM
Loaf of Bread – 2 CM

Total – 5 SM 6CM
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

A Day In The Life

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Timestamp: 8th Bell

“On time again I see.” Avira admonished from his rocking chair as Shane approached the shop. “If you're not careful I might actually end up liking you.

“Wouldn't want that, would we Sir?” Shane replied with a respectful bow.

“Don't push it, Wallsly.” Avira responded gruffly. “You've not been doing all that you should. Don't forget the promise you made me when you started working here. I've got high expectations for you and you haven't even started practising writing yet. I expect you to get a start on that tonight. Bought any materials with all of my profits, err I mean, your wage?”

Shane's eyes had steadily lowered with every passing sentence until eventually they rested on his feet in shame. “No, Sir, not yet Sir.” He responded despairingly.

“Mhm, that's what I thought. Well I gave you a chance to get your own materials but now it's too late. You'll practise writing tomorrow night after your usual shift from eighteenth bell to twentieth bell. You will pay me say...” Avira paused to do some mental calculations “Three Gold Mizas which will cover the letting of the room, a quill (which you can keep), an ounce of black ink (which you can keep) and five sheets of parchment (which I will expect to be handed in for my perusal). From then on I'll expect you to practise your writing every 5th day until you're at a competent level.”

“Yes, sir.” Shane responded feeling a lot like he had on that first day when Avira had dictated the terms of the job to him. The old bear was really not a compromiser. He was fair though which Shane could see. Fair, strict and a businessman to the very core.

“Right now get in there and eat your breakfast.” Avira dismissed him “Can't have the customers scared away by a boy-shaped stick insect.”

“Yes, sir.” Shane repeated and hurried past him into the shop.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Day In The Life

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Timestamp: 12th Bell

The door to the shop swung open for the first time that day, excluding Shane and Dominac's coming and goings, at noon. A man, in his late twenties, entered the shop and stormed right up to the front desk slamming a book down upon it angrily. Avira had popped out for a spot of lunch and had instructed Shane to 'deal with' customers should any come a-calling so it was he behind the front desk and not the shop's owner.

Shane gulped and looked up at the tall, dark haired fellow. “How can I help you, Sir?”

“Where's your good for nothing, boss!?” The man demanded “I got a bone to pick with him.”

“I'm sorry, Sir, but Mister Avira is not here right now. If you are having trouble with your purchase I'd be happy to help.” Shane was managing to keep a pretty cool head all things considering.

“You petching bet! Look at this.” The man reached down and threw the book open letting it settle on a page about halfway. Shane could see the problem now. Someone had cut out a massive hole in all of the pages to fit a metal flask. It was quite ingenious actually. One could walk around with a flask of alcohol or something disguised as a book so it just looked like you were sneaking off to read a book rather than drink. It seemed a bit more intelligent a plan than the average tavernhead could come up with. “I come in here last week looking for a book of maps. Your boss sells me one, for more than a pretty penny mind you, so you can imagine my surprise when I open it this morning all geared up for my hunting trip and find that every single page has a giant hole in it. I want my money back!”

“Uh, ummm...” Shane was sort of stuck in a bad position here. He'd never seen Avira give anybody their money back and he didn't know if it would be stealing to be giving away Avira's money even if the man did deserve his money back. Then Shane was struck by blind inspiration. “Can you prove the book was like that before it left this store, Sir?”

“What are you implying, kid?” The man growled dangerously.

“I am merely suggesting that such a dignified and esteemed man such as yourself has many enemies who would wish to sabotage your hunting trips. Imagine if you had gotten all the way into the forest and then brought the book out. They would have had you exactly where they wanted you then.” Shane tried to appeal to the man's vanity tactfully.

“You see,” the man began as he reached into his pocket “I could believe such a story if not for this.” The man withdrew a silver flask and held it up to the light clearly showing to Shane the initials 'D. A'.

“Oh.” Shane didn't really say it but his mouth certainly formed it. It had definitely been like this when it was in the store. In fact it had probably been Avira's alcohol stash for mid-afternoon swigs. Shane could actually remember the old man grumbling about a missing flask the last couple of days. “But surely Mister Ariva would not sell you his engraved flask on purpose. I know for a fact it is very dear to him and he has been in much despair missing it this past week.”

“I feel much better now.” The man replied sarcastically. “Look, kid, I just want my damn money back and if I don't get it back right now I'm going to take this flask and shove it @$@+) $( ^%@& &%&$!

Shane raised himself to his full height the fires of passion igniting in his eyes. “Look right here, Mister. You can't come into a shop and start making demands like that. The money in this till is not mine to hand over and it would be wrong of me to hand over his money unless I was a hundred percent sure that's what he wanted. How can I even be sure that flask is Mister Aviras. It could belong to any number of people with those initials so I suggest you leave and don't come back until Mister Ariva is here to verify it or... Or I'm calling the Knights!” His voice was impressive and clear all the way up until the end when he basically realised he had nothing to force the man to leave except the adult version of calling for the adults.

The man glared at Shane with an immense amount of venom before picking up the book and stalking out of the shop. Shane breathed a deep sigh of relief. For a moment it had seemed the substantially taller man, who liked to go on hunting trips, was going to respond in kind to his verbal assault. However with less words and more pain. Pain for Shane

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Day In The Life

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Timestamp: 18h Bell

Pop! Shane almost leapt to his feet in ecstasy when he heard the sound. It was the sound of the very last rung on the time candle going out. That meant it was time for Shane to leave. However, Shane was in the process of task and no task was left unfinished by the young man. It was the last rule of the code and a most important one. Shane always strove to do more than just the average amount and that meant, at it's very basic, staying a little later at work to finish what you were doing.

What was Shane doing? He was searching for the book entitled “The Flux and How It Made Me Shyke My Pants: A Less Gentlemanly Guide to the Weird and Unexplained Surrounding the Flux” He didn't know why Avira wanted it. He hadn't seen any customers around when he asked for it. Shane wasn't even that sure what the Flux was but it sounded disgusting.

Books themselves were heard to locate amongst the jumble of objects on every shelf and Shane was happy to be wearing gloves while he sorted this stuff out. Who knew what you could find around here.

With some amount of fearing for his life and keen eyes he eventually found it nestled between two other books. One simply entitled “Flux for Beginners” and the other “Arms and What To Do If You Have An Extra One.”. He took 'Flux for Beginners' and opened it just wanting to take a peek and sensing the book would be much more likely to provide simple answers than the one Avira had requested.

“The trick behind flux is that it uses the power of your astral body within itself to accomplish feats otherwise impossible.” Shane had opened the book at the first page and picked out a random sentence. “It is your astral body that commands your physical body to move and it does this through pathways in the body called nerves. Thes-”

WALLSLY!” The loud shout caused Shane to snap the book shut in a panic. Reaching out he grabbed the book about arms by mistake and rushed out to the front desk and presented it to Dominac. “Good job, Wallsly.” The old man said with a pleased smile as he picked up the book. “But this is the wrong book!” Dominac suddenly screamed and threw it at Shane who was already flying off back to retrieve the book...

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Day In The Life

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 29th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Timestamp: 22nd Bell

Shane was sometimes thankful for the silence somewhat strictly imposed by the Knights after dark. At times he could truly believe that he was the only person in the citadel. All of the problems created by such a vast amount of people in such an enclosed space were gone. The Knights and the Nobles weren't around to impose their rules and superiority over him. It was just him. Hi and his book and his room. These were the perfect times to meditate.

Shane sat down on his bed crossing his legs and closing his eyes. He took a deep breath inward. And then a long steady exhale. He imagined the stress and the pain that clouded his mind left with the exhale and the calm entered with every inhale. He imagined this occurred on every inhale and exhale twenty-one times as he had been instructed by the book. When he was finished he found some amount of clarity had occurred within his mind. Everything was just as it was but, unlike in the day to day bustle, he could identify which problem was which rather than them all simply being jumbled together in this big knot of pain.

He was happy. This was the first thought that came to his mind. He was working every day to near exhaustion but he was happy. Everyone in Syliras seemed to believe they were better than him but he was happy. His boss was strict, abusive and often times teased him but he was happy. He was yet to find the second volume that he was sure would wipe away the greatest of his problems like the book before had but he was happy. There was so much in his life he was yet to do; so much that was holding him back; so much he had to accomplish in the tiny span of his life; but he was happy.

His problems seemed meaningless compared to those he had once had. It was odd and miraculous to think how the simple acquisition of a real job could turn someone's whole life around. For the first time in his life he didn't feel as if his life was meaningless. He felt as if it was going to go somewhere. He was starting to have dreams and ambitions he would have never dared to have before. For the first time in his life he felt like he belonged...

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Day In The Life

Postby Radiant on October 30th, 2013, 5:13 am

Shane :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Rhetoric +2 XP
Hypnotism +1 XP
Negotiation +1 XP
Intimidation +1 XP
Meditation +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Hypnotism: To Negotiate Prices
Hypnotism: To Intimidate
Flux: Commanding The Astral Body And Nerves

Loots
-5 SM 6 CM

Notes :
Haha! Amusing solo, Shane! Now this, I like. Multiple posts with decent length.

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)