[Skerry's Scrapbook] Musings of an English Student

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Skerry on November 19th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Right so I've decided that I ought to have a scrapbook where I can put all my randomness. My brain is really strange sometimes so it's good to have somewhere to put the strangeness so here are some rules:

•Anyone can post or comment in here.
    •No flaming. If you don't like what I write, you don't have to read it.
    •I won't permit videos unless they're widely visible. I live in Ireland and it's very annoying when I get YouTube videos that I can't see.
    •Keep within the normal rules of Mizahar

Right so a little bit about myself:
Name: Sinéad, that's pronounced shin-aid. It's Irish for Jane or Jennifer apparently. My nickname is Nadie.
Age: 18 as of the 5th of November. My birthday in England is a holiday where they celebrate the death of someone who tried to blow up the English parliament. Yay! :/
Where I live: County Dublin, Ireland. I live outside the city luckily. While a day out or college in Dublin is all right, living there is a no.
Favourite Colour: I like red and black, lots of black :)
Favourite Book Series: That's actually really hard for me to narrow down because I love reading (hence why I'm doing English in college). I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld's series. I have read 39 of the 40 books because I haven't gotten the latest one yet :( I also love Trudi Cananvan's Black Magician series and the books pertaining to it.
Music I like: I like a large mixture of stuff actually. I like the Beatles, I sometimes like ABBA (depends on my mood) and I also like Blondie, the Police, Madness, Chris de Burgh, ELO, Fall Out Boy, Duran Duran, some Mindless Self-Indulgence and lots of random songs.
PCs: Azira, Waisana, Caela Dorin.

My first bout of randomness

Right well today I was helping someone with Old English (no not like Shakespeare, much older). I have to learn OE for my first college semester to be able to do translations. For what benefit I have no idea except that it's cool. At least I think so but I'm a fairly sad individual. 

So yeah I was helping someone and being the utter nerd that I am, I say "Oh I forgot I wanted to check if Isengard comes from Old English". This was followed by complete and utter silence. So I tried to explain myself by saying that I came across the word isensmiþas (iron smith) while doing a translation and I wanted to know if that's where Isen came from in Isengard in LOTR. Turns out it is! So I get all excited and everyone just stares at me and then changed the subject. 

Wow. In hindsight, it does seem sort of pathetic :( but that's your insight into my mind for the moment :)

x
Last edited by Skerry on January 19th, 2014, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Quint Caravel on November 20th, 2013, 1:57 am

A week or two belated, but Happy Birthday!
Quint Caravel
Currently dreaming about you!

Words: 151579
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2013, 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Syveris on November 20th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Just learned something new. I love LotR, so thank you for being a nerd and expanding my knowledge on it. :P
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Skerry on November 20th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Thanks Quint and you're welcome Syveris :) Apparently Old English is used in a number of places in LOTR. Someone said to me afterwards that Tolkien was actually a professor of Old English so I suppose it isn't that strange.
Skerry
The Volatile One

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Syveris on November 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Yeah, Tolkien was a linguist, so that's why the languages he creates for elves, dwarfs and the other races are so well done and complete. Some people say that if you take time to actually study the languages, you can learn how to speak and write on them. Too much trouble for a fantasy language, but that's why I love his world building. :)
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kovac on November 20th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Wow....love your taste in music. I confess having Duran Duran hair back in the day!
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Engghaen on November 20th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Yes, Skerry, Tolkien actually loved Old English. You should be utterly geeky and try to figure out where they are in the whole series :) That's going to take a bit. A lot. A very lot-long-time. Yeah. Right. Anyways.
I can't bear to read LOTR yet, though. Since I'm Dutch (yaay, boohoo, don't like it at all) reading in English takes maybe twice the effort as in Dutch. But the Dutch translations are stupid and the jokes are odd and Tolkien wanted people to read the names that way and they're different in Dutch... Same as with Harry Potter. It's a shame, to be honest. 'Hermione' becomes 'Hermelien' and it makes reading the English impossible after you've read the Dutch and the other way around. To get back to me very long point listed above, starting with a moan ('I can't bear to...' is moaning for as far as I know) I can't read them yet. I'm waay too busy with school and Mizahar.

So. My first and longest ever reply to a scrapbook.
Everyone knows pain and misery,
But it's how we survive that makes us who we are.

Character Sheet | Scrapbook | Plotnotes | Ruvyn
Engghaen
I'm not cute! I'm just... Fluffy.

Words: 87123
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2013, 3:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Syveris on November 20th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Engghaen wrote:
But the Dutch translations are stupid and the jokes are odd and Tolkien wanted people to read the names that way and they're different in Dutch... Same as with Harry Potter. It's a shame, to be honest. 'Hermione' becomes 'Hermelien'...

And here I was, complaining about Portuguese translations... Well, when you have time, read them. It's totally worth the effort.
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Skerry on November 20th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Ah well you learn something new everyday I guess, I certainly do. Today I learned that Kovac likes my taste in music and that people are actually bothering to read my scrapbook ;) I also learned that I am embarrassingly clumsy sometimes and that accidents just seem to happen to me :/

How can accidents happen to me, you might ask? Well I don't know. Someone banged a briefcase into my knee today (ouch!), I was hit with a table and I had a refill pad thrown at me. In terms of clumsiness, I manage to wrench a strong metal wire covering away from a wall and expose some of the wiring and I managed to fling a pen at someone. I have not dropped my phone or my iPod today (yet) and I haven't managed to spill the contents of the fridge or the cupboard on my head.

All in all it was a very good day if I do say so myself, which I do because I'm me... or am I? ;)

I also discovered yesterday that cats are a great writing motivation. The proof is here.

x
Skerry
The Volatile One

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Abstract on November 20th, 2013, 7:44 pm

That... that website. AMAZING. Perfect NaNo tool. No doubt about it. I was writing there, just to see what happened... I reach 100 words... this cat pops up in the right box. It sorta scared me, but man.... I need to keep writing here. MUST KEEP WRITING O.o

...Nice clumsiness XD... that must suck, though :P I'm usually not too clumsy, unless I'm rushing.

I also like your scrap title. Very similar to mine, lol... Musings of a Muser... though I think yours is much nicer :P

Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Next