[Great Bazaar] Meet Norman. He's a Dog.

10th Winter 513AV - Shane gets a Dog!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Timestamp: 10th of Winter 513AV

The snow had come and with it the biting winds transformed into snarling, whipping fangs of vengeance determined to deter anyone who hoped to leave the safety of the Citadel. Surprisingly this didn't seem to upset Shane today. In fact he rather enjoyed the fact owing that he didn't have to leave the Citadel at all for today was a very special one. It was his first day off and Shane was going to spend it in a meaningful way.

The only problem was that he hadn't actually decided what that was yet. He'd been working non-stop since he got his job and before that his life was a struggle for survival. In essence Shane felt that he didn't actually know what to do with 'free time'. He felt like he should be working but, as promised, he was going to get paid for his day off anyway. He wasn't losing productivity and yet it felt so wrong not to be working. Perhaps if he got a second more part-time job for when he had a day off he could make even more money. He doubted Avira would be very happy about that if he found out though.

Perhaps then training was the best thing for him to do. After all he was hardly a master of his two disciplines of magic and even if he was there was still more things in the wide world to learn. “The Thinking Mind's work is never done” as the book said. The problem, he scowled, was that he had chosen to learn the two most people related disciplines of magic around. He needed intelligent life forms to experiment on and when one experimented on people there was such a high degree of personal risk. He wished he had a slave or something that wouldn't, or couldn't, tell when he experimented on them.

He didn't even see the problem people seemed to have with it. He wasn't going to jab them with a hot poker and watch their aura change or anything like that. He wasn't being cruel. He was simply trying to observe, practice and learn. If someone asked him to pose so that they could practice painting he would surely help them so why was Auristics and Hypnotism any different. He would make extra certain to put everything back where it was before he was done.

There was no use wishing for any different. People would never just allow themselves to be experimented on. They were too heartless. People irked him. People... Yes it was people that had the problem but they weren’t the only things with minds.... Shane smiled devilishly and collected his savings before leaving home for the Great Bazaar. He would have his subject before the day was out.....

Credit to Skerry
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2014, 10:39 pm

At first Shane had been unsure whether he'd be able to get one but he very quickly found the opposite was true. There were in fact too many too choose from. There were big ones, tall ones, spotty ones, fluffy ones and on and on the variables went. Shane had seen them around the Citadel but he had never known it was such a bustling trade. Shane was, of course, looking for a dog. A loyal companion and test subject. A dog would never tell on him for experimenting on it and it wasn't like he was going to mistreat it anyway.

The stall that seemed to have the widest variety was owned by a rather large and full bodied man with a thick curly black hair and beard. “All right there, young 'un?” He bellowed in an almost friendly way. “Looking for a new friend, aay?”

Shane glanced around and then up at the man who must have been rivalling seven feet in height. “Em, yes sir.” Shane replied politely.

“Aye you've came to the right place then bu' please, call me Aggard.” He offered a thick hand for Shane to shake.

“Shane Wallsly.” Shane replied as he took the massive hand. “Uh, call me Shane if you like.”

“Nice to meet yer, Shane.” He said giving Shane's hand an enthusiastic shake before letting it go. “Now d'you know what yer looking for?”

“Ummm...” Shane mulled over the question. He wasn't quite sure what the Giant meant. He was obviously looking for a dog.

“What kind is what I meant. What are you looking for it to do?” The giant explained after the pause stretched out too long. “Now you don't look like no warrior or hunter or whatever so yer probably lookin' for a companion.” Shane nodded in agreement quite unsure if he had anything to add “When yer lookin' for companions it's really just a lookin' choice.”

The Giant moved over to one of the many cages that were on display in front of, on and around his stall. Inside was a large snub tailed dog. It was very fluffy and a sort of gingery-copper color. It lay on it's front quietly sleeping. “This is Sponger. He's a Kiparon. That's a breed well known for their loyalty. If you've got any kids or siblings very protective of children. Average at about forty Gold Mizas.”

Shane looked the dog over scrunching up his face. He didn't want it. He didn't have kids or siblings and he just didn't really like the dog. “He's very nice but what else would you suggest Aggard?”

“Mmm, okay.” The Giant said thoughtfully and swooped a few steps to the left patting his hand on top of another cage. What lay inside looked very much like a bald rodent. Shane cringed his face up in disgust and Aggard didn't even bother going for the sale instead he whisked away to another cage.

This one was filled with two small dogs that followed Aggard's every move excitably with their eyes while their small tails waggled under them shaking their entire bodies. They practically reeked of excitement. “This is Mary and Pippin. Twin Sykanis. Very loyal but excitable too. They wouldn't hurt a hair on your head but good at keeping rats away. Thirty Gold Miza's each. Wouldn't separate 'em though. It would break their little hearts.”

Shane could see himself growing to like one of these dogs but he didn't have the time to care for two high energy animals and work. He gave a small smile and sighed “Sorry, Aggard. Just looking for the one.”

“Hmm, alright. Let me think here...” Aggard contemplated a few moments before asking “You ain't a shepherd are you?”

“Unfortunately not.” Shane answered disdainfully. He was a small part insulted by the accusation.

“Alright, I got as good 'un and I'm positive you'll like him bu' he's not the cheapest. In fact he sells for more than any of my other dogs. If you want him. It'll be fifty five Gold Mizas and I ain't getting his hopes up unless you've got the money.”

Shane scowled and pulled off his backpack. Reaching in he withdrew a bunch of gold coins to show to the Giant. “I've got enough, Aggard, now show him to me.” Shane growled impatiently.

“Alright, alright...” Aggard moved over to a cage that had a grey sheet over it covering it's occupant from view. “He's not averse to sunlight but he prefers total darkness when he can get it.” Aggard explained to shane as he grabbed hold of the sheet. In one firm tug he whipped the sheet of the cage and exposed a long, glossy midnight black dog. He lay on his front with his head between his paws. Startled by the sudden change in light the dog brought it's chocolate brown nose up to peer through startlingly crimson eyes at Shane. “This is Norman.”

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2014, 10:40 pm

“What kind of breed is he?” Shane asked moving closer clearly fascinated.

“Norman's a Bozderon Shadow Dog.” Aggard seemed to struggle a bit around the syllables but he managed it quite imposingly. “Aye, he's a right beaut. Look at that glossy coat.” Aggard sounded very proud of what was probably his prize dog.

“What a striking pair of eyes.” Shane noted more to himself than Aggard as he stared into the red tinged blackness of Norman's round eyes.

“Inforvision... Nah, Intervisi- Inner..?” Aggard struggled with a complicated word. “Ah petch it, he can see in the dark. That's what the eyes are for.”

“Oh really?” Shane asked his curiosity peeked. That was certainly interesting. He reached his hand into the cage. The dog continued to stare at him but didn't make any threatening movements or sounds. Shane got the impression he was a gentle kind of soul. He felt the dogs silky coat. Shane couldn't help but smile. This made him happy for reasons he couldn't really fathom. It was just a dog and yet he just wanted to hug it and never let go. “I'll take him, Aggard, and I'll take the cage too. Uh, but I don't know how I could carry it all the way back to my room.”

Aggard smiled “You want the full package, milad. Dog, Collar, Cage, Grooming kit and Delivery.”

Shane withdrew his hand from the cage and looked up at Aggard searchingly. “And how much would all that be?”

“Erm, lemme see. Fifty five, as agreed upon, fer Norman; ten for the cage, ten for the toolkit an' a couple of silver mizas for the Collar and Delivery. Eighty-five Gold Miza's will do it.” Aggard spoke quickly like he didn't want Shane to analyse the math.

Shane gave a snort of derision. “I thought we'd bonded, Aggard. I thought Norman meant more to you than this.” Shane replied feigning disappointed in Aggard.

Aggard outwardly bristled at this “Wha?! What!? I love Norman. You know I do.” Aggard declared.

“Well I'd have thought you'd want him off that travelling road.” Shane explained innocently. “The life of a travelling merchant is no life for such a fine pedigree such as Norman.”

“Well, nah but I gots to make a living!” Aggard almost broke but he bounced back. Shane would have to adjust his strategy a bit.

“Tell you what.” Shane said with a sigh. “I'll come back next season when I have more money.”

“But- But-” Aggard's eyes darted to and from Norman and Shane as Shane began to overly dramatically turn away. “Alright, alright! Eighty and that's my final offer.”

Shane smiled and raised his hand out to the Giant. “Deal.”

Receipt :
Bozderon Shadow Dog 40 GM
Dog, Companion 15 GM
Leather, Collar 6 SM
Cage, Medium 10 GM
Toolkit, Animal Groomer 10 GM
Delivery - 4 sm
Pure Profit - 4 GM

Total = -80 GM

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2014, 10:40 pm

The door closed behind him and Shane said a mental farewell to the Giant. He would, of course, be purchasing feed regularly from him but all in all his dealings with the Giant had come to a close and a better conclusion he could not have asked for. The cage, Norman and all, had been placed next to his wooden chest. The grooming kit was laying on the floor by Shane's feet and the leather collar was in Shane's hand.

Norman, who had been strangely comfortable with being carried rather like a box by the immensely strong giant, was lying in his cage in the exact same position Shane had first spied him in. Shane took a deep breath. He was home. He was alone. Sanctuary. No one could see him. No one could know anything that went on within these four walls. Sanctuary. Sanctuary was an important part of clearing one's mind. If one had a safe place they could concentrate vastly while they were in it. It allowed complete release of fear. Or so the book said. The meditation technique had worked so far but, of course, he had never been able to perform magic in his Sanctuary before having never had a test subject.

He reached forward and undid the simple latch on the cage allowing the front of the cage to swing out. Noman looked up at him but didn't bother to get up. “Norman,” Shane started in an authoritative tone. “Get up.” The dog gave him a look as if to say 'You're kidding, right?' but Shane was not kidding. He went and got his one miserable chair and placed it opposite the cage.

Shane closed his eyes. Sanctuary. Opening them again he focused his other sense on Noman. Like something coming into focus a haze appeared around the dog. With every second it became a little more and more defined. Shane was a complete novice at the skill so it took much longer than he would have liked but eventually Norman's aura was clear enough for him to make a reading of sorts.

Norman was a dog. He didn't need auristics to tell him that though. What auristics did show him was that Norman's joints ached from being cooped up all day. Aggard must have been kind because the ache wasn't too severe. He must have walked him quite often. What else was there? Shane had to focus for longer to get more information. Norman had a feeling. It was almost like longing. It reminded Shane of something he had saw in Avira on occasion. A lost family perhaps? It was highly likely. At least in Norman anyway. He could imagine being abandoned. He'd been abandoned by his family too.

He dropped his focus not wanting to strain himself too much. He stood as well and walked over to the cage. He crouched down and sort of slid inside the cage sitting, pretty squashed beside Norman who refused to give him even a little bit of the most of the cage he was hogging. He put his hand in Norman’s glossy coating and began to ran his hands through it in a soothing motion. “Hello there, Norman.” he told the dog. “My name is Shane.” He continued to stroke the lazy dog. Shane took a deep breath and reached into his sphere of influence. He was so close to the dog that his sphere didn't have to move that much at all to connect with the dogs. “I am your friend.” He suggested to the dog ultimately unsure if a dog could be effected by a language it couldn't speak. “I am your Master.” He spoke softly and threateningly. He closed his eyes but never stopped his stroking. He sent an emotion into Norman's sphere of influence. Safety. He was safe in here; in this cage; in this room; with this person. He sent another. Love. He loved being here; he loved this cage; he loved this room; he loved this person. “I am your friend.” Shane repeated “I am your Master.Safe here. Safe cage. Safe room. Safe person. Love here. Love cage. Love room. Love person.

This continued for some amount of time. It was brought to a stop when Norman fell asleep. Truth be told Shane was feeling pretty tired himself. He rested his head on Norman's soft coat and closed his eyes drifting off into lala land....

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Una Tanta on January 26th, 2014, 7:08 am

Experience
Socialization +1
Observation +1
Negotiation +3
Auristics +2
Rhetoric +1
Hypnotism +2

Lores:
Norman: Aching joints
Norman: Sense of loss
Norman: Enjoys being carried
Aggard: Dog Merchant
Norman: Bozderon Shadow Dog
Sykanis Temperament
Kiparon Temperament

Other:
Bozderon Shadow Dog 40 GM
Leather, Collar 6 SM
Cage, Medium 10 GM
Toolkit, Animal Groomer 10 GM
Delivery - 4 sm
Total: -65GM
Note: You paid for the dog, you needn't pay for the Dog, companion part as well. Otherwise your receipt is fine.

I cannot emphasize how sorry I am I forgot about this.

Please don't be afraid to PM me with any questions ^-^ and please don't forget to edit your request as graded.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)