Flashback And You Are...? [Eosi]

Two young scholars end up as dormmates.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

And You Are...? [Eosi]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 8th, 2014, 9:25 pm

1st of Spring, 510 AV

Her second season at the University, and yet already she was being tossed outside of her comfort zone by being switched around in the dorms. She missed Velia already if she were being perfectly honest, though the shorter girl did have a tendency to banter a little over much for her own good. Still Anna had grown fond of sharing the same space with her, though it wasn't as though they wouldn't see each other again. She looked towards the empty cot set up above her own, idly wondering who was going to be sharing this small space with her.

The Dorm itself was a simple affair, its only real furnishings were a bunk, a desk and a single chair. It was a very Spartan affair but Anna was not exactly overly concerned by it, hopefully her new dormmate would be amenable to reason and negotiation. Velia and her hadn't exactly hit it off wonderfully either, but who knew? Maybe this next person might be as good, or perhaps she'd be tearing out her long loose black hair.

As Anna had reached maturity she had found herself growing up more than she had grown out, now easily being able to stand eye to eye with her tall father. It amused her to some degree, though it did her no favors as most of the boys here at the University tended to favor more... petite women. No real loss as she was more in it for the learning and the act of uncovering more about the arcane. Her introductory courses had only lighted a thirst in her that would only grow most likely, her mind entirely consumed in learning all she could about the arcane.

Of course the going was slow, but she tended to learn concepts frighteningly quick and was already able to form coherent theories regarding Djed and its application in magic use. Highest marks in her introductory class, she had noted with pride though her parents were less than keen about her new interest. What they didn't seem to understand was that she was good at this, that she felt like this came naturally to her in ways nothing else seemed to. Perhaps her dormmate was a practitioner of the Arcane or at least a scholar of it.

Anna simply sighed and got up, moving to sit at the lone desk and start reading one of the books she'd been given to start this semester. It was titled Magic and I and from what Velia had said it was a very good read, funny at times and tragic at others. Vuld Shaik was apparently an extremely prolific author from the almost mystical days before the Valterrian. Anna opened to the introduction, figuring it might be best to get in some light reading before her new dormmate showed up.

So you have always wanted to be a wizard. Congratulations! So did I, and so do a few million children in our country. What's not to like? You get to harness The Power Of The Universe, don't you? Fame, respect, social standing, money and early retirement - the world is your oyster, isn't it? You know the great wizards of our time: you read about them in the papers and it seems like they are wherever the cool people hang out. The lifeblood of our country, they are also the life of the classiest parties in Treval. Sure, they may be a little 'eccentric' (which would equate to 'raving lunatics' if not for their Djed), but everyone loves them. If they take to wearing woolen scarves in the middle of summer, watch scarves become the next big fashion hit. Life as a famous wizard is sweet, dear reader!

Read that again. Life as a famous wizard. How many of them are there in our country? Five hundred maybe? And several thousands semi-famous ones. Great. Now I will gently remind you that, according to statistics, enrollment in our magic academies is in the tens of thousands per year. That many. I will count myself among those, though just barely, as I have retained precious little of what I was taught at the Academy. Speaking of which, our Academies are not that selective. They may pretend to be, but they will let almost anyone in, on the simple basis that it is difficult to tell who would make a good wizard until they start trying.

Have you ever wondered what happens to those wizards who don't get to be famous or semi-famous? I will tell you, and you aren't going to like the answer. You will be in good company, mind you. This little book was self-published out of my own pockets, as no publishing house in the realm was willing to send this to their presses. I am moderately rich from my other writings, however, and above all I am compelled to tell the truth. I don't know magic, but I know my magic, and that I will tell truthfully.

Magic and I have a long history. I will admit. I always wanted to be a wizard. I mean it. I wanted to be a wizard. I wanted to change the world with the power of my magic formulas! I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be special. I probably just wanted someone to take notice of me. I was just a fool with a dream. Now the dream is gone, but the fool is still here. Will you listen to a fool? Make of it what you will. Put down this book and do whatever you want with it (except ask for a refund). I am sure you have a table in need of some balancing. Wood for the hearth is terribly expensive these days. And I will not be offended should you decide to rip the pages and hook them near your toilet seat. I won't mind.

But then your kid comes back from the Royal Academy of Magic on all fours, foaming at the mouth, and you have to forever keep his disgrace locked away in a dark room of your home. It can't happen, you say? How do you know? If that happens, you will not want it to be known. They say such failures are a symptom of inherited weaknesses. If you are too loud about it, people will imagine you frothing at the mouth, as well.

I consider myself lucky. I only lost the use of my left arm and my best friend. If you lack the talent this is near the milder end of the spectrum. Problem is, you don't know if you have the talent until you try.

Happy reading, wannabe wizard!

- Vuld Shaik, in the fifth year of Queen Kova's reign

Anna found herself snickering at some parts, though others raised an eyebrow. From the words he sounded so bitter about the idea of magic but seemed to deflect with somewhat humorous lines. When she read that he had lost the use of an arm and his best friend she felt her eyes widen a little bit. Nervously she stared at the introduction, swallowing slightly as she thought to the University and its education system.

Surely it was nothing like the academies of old? Professor Stonemiller stressed safety above all things in the College of Djed. Then again the Scholar's Asylum did exist for a reason, to hold those that couldn't control themselves and study how to prevent it. It was rather frightening to think about, so Anna slowly closed the book. She got the feeling that she and mister Shaik were going to get very well acquainted.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

And You Are...? [Eosi]

Postby Eosi on January 9th, 2014, 12:43 am

It’d been a year since she’d arrived in Zeltiva. The bustling port, the screeching fishwives, they existed in perfect contrast to the quiet halls of the University and the sometimes pretentious youths that frequented it. Eosi much preferred the latter, though the former at times, smacked of home. But still, the quiet discipline that she had learned in Denval was best represented in silence. Thus, quietly she went down the hall, in search of her new living arrangements, be it for good or ill.

The last roommate she’d had was obnoxious, at least by her standards. They were haughty and well-to-do, from some estate or another, enrolled in Magical Studies, the picture of wealth and taste. Oh and ignorance. That too. They in particular, were the type to parrot whatever it was they heard from others, championing the opinions of lesser minds without seeking to check information first. Eosi had to cut her down a number of times and thanks to that, they hadn’t spoken much. Which on the whole, had suited her just fine.

But still. The thought of having at least semi-tolerable companion… Well, she would relish that. While Eosi did not mind being alone, she had very few she could call “friend.” Most of her associates were for studies exclusively. Not to say that she lacked social grace. It was simply her inability to suffer fools that chased people away. It had been that way for as long as she could remember and had no hope of changing anytime soon.

She set her bags before the door and reached to turn the handle.

As Eosi crossed the threshold, the first thing she noted was the book. Magic and I, by Vuld Shaik. A faint smile played upon her lips. The second thing she noted, was the fact it was held by a very tall, very attractive woman with dark hair. The Inarta favored brunettes exclusively, back when she worshipped in the Temple of Nikali. She admired her heavy, come hither gaze for a moment before attending to her bags. The archer’s previous roommate had been a blonde, which had only furthered her distaste.

The third, was the fact she’d seen her before. This one had some very firm opinions. As far as she remembered, she’d heard her answer a question wrong, which boded well. This was looking better and better.

”Magic and I,” she remarked, already moving to unpack. ”You should look into the Treval Codex, if that is your fancy.” Anna would find her speech structured, archaic almost. It was a very old form of common, only spoken by the Denvali. ”It lacks the satirical elements of Shaik’s writing, but it offers some insight into the magical stylings of ancient Alahea. The structure leaves a bit to be desired, though.”

It was also convenient that the girl had chosen the bottom bunk. Being Inarta, she favored high places. Also, she liked to be closer to the sun, even if it was figuratively. Eosi paused to brush a loving hand across the back of her neck, where the touch of Syna hid beneath her mane of tangled locks. She didn’t seem compelled to say any more. She was more interested to see how Anna would receive her commentary.

Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

And You Are...? [Eosi]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 9th, 2014, 2:18 am

Anna noted Eosi's entrance with some mild surprise, having been in a quandary regarding what she knew regarding the dangers of magic. Grey eyes fell quickly upon her, a dark eyebrow rising in appraisal of the young woman. She noted with some mild interest that her halo of hair was auburn thought she thought she could make out strands of copper here and there. The woman was shorter than she by a fair amount, though that had long sense stopped being a surprise to Anna.

Her surprise was quickly overcome and she favored her with a slight smile, best to be friendly after all. When she spoke there was an almost old quality to her speech, something that spoke of some manner of refinement. Anna felt a bit nervous about opening her trap now, her accent was still very heavily Zeltivan and very heavily based around her father's way of speaking. Velia had commented that it was rather unique in a way that Zeltiva was capable of producing, Anna on the other hand hated it. The University had yet to get the quirks out of her voice or speech patterns yet, though hanging on around Velia helped a bit.

The Treval Codex? Anna made a mental note to scour the Library in search of it, anything that could shed light on the ways of the arcane was helpful. So apparently her new roommate was at least something of a scholar regarding matters arcane, a bonus in Anna's opinion. She'd have someone to discuss the theories she came across with. Maybe. Hopefully. Was she even enrolled at the College of Djed? Might be a good idea to ask.

The tall woman stood slowly, flashing her a gentle and rather friendly smile. There was that ever present spark of curiosity behind her grey eyes, that desire to delve into new knowledge that had long been unavailable to her. At the moment the target of that curiosity was Eosi.

"Oh, I'll hafta' take a stroll ta the Library ifn' that be the case. Thanks fer tha tip, miss. Mister Shaik seems ta have a pretty good way with gettin' his point across though. His style seems ta be filled with satire, though ya can taste tha bitterness there. Needn' ta be readin' it fer me lesson's on Overgiven'." The tall woman said gratefully.

Belatedly she realized she hadn't either introduced herself or asked her new roommate's name. Her mother would have been rather cross at her for that, needed to remember to mind her manners. After all she'd be spending at least a season with this person. Anna extended her hand and rubbed the back of her head a little sheepishly. Trust her mouth to go off before her mind caught up.

"Pardn' me manners miss, names Annalisa Marin but me friends call me Anna. Really good ta be maken' yer acquaintance. D'ya need some help with yer stuff?" The young scholar said.

She was rather certain that compared to her new roommates accent she was probably going to annoy the petch out of her. Velia had been okay with it, but even she hadn't failed to notice the occasional wince from the higher class girl. Hopefully those speech lessons with Velia would pay off soon enough, because right now she felt a bit of red rising to her cheeks in embarrassment.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

And You Are...? [Eosi]

Postby Eosi on January 9th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Anna had a thick, colloquial style of speech that marked her as a native Zeltivan. She had long since adapted to it; in fact, the accent was endearing, almost. She had a taste for common folk, despite what others thought of her. Being simple was not indicative of being stupid. But often, people make the mistake of equating the two. She paused for a moment, eyeing Annalisa as a lion might eye a doe. It was a penetrating, unabashed stare that had the power to make her blush, if she noticed it.

A gentle smile fell upon her lips. Eosi looked almost coy almost, her eyes a mystery. This season was going to be fun. ”I’d appreciate that. Thank you.” She set one bag to the side and turned to face her. ”I’m Eosi Barlowe, second year student here at the University. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Were the woman to stand, she’d take a moment to marvel at the difference in their height. Eosi couldn’t quite wrap her head around it. Was this Annalisa submissive? Or did her physical capabilities lend themselves better to dominance? She couldn’t quite decide.

The woman smoothed the front of her golden halter dress before extending a hand. She bore the usual cotton half-cape, buttoned in the front. Her hands were perfect representations of just who she was. They were perfectly manicured, each of her nails a uniform length.

”Since we’re roommates, I’d be happy to show you where I found it,” she continued softly, folding a piece of clothing and stowing it away in the nearby chest of drawers. ”The Codex, that is. Though you’ll want to finish that first, no doubt. Shaik, from what I understand, had some hard feelings in regards to his own treatment as a mage. While he is certainly instructive, I find his work entertaining, really. They say he wrote it in a very short period of time, too.”

Eosi didn’t normally talk so much, but it was easier to discuss literature than say, what she had for breakfast. Scholastics had purpose, lending order to chaos. Structure made the woman happy. She’d learned that from her formative years in Denval’s martial training. The discipline just seemed to stick with her.

”So,” she said, turning to gaze at her with those penetrating eyes. ”What do you enjoy doing?” It was a harmless question, though for some reason, there seemed to be some elusive, second meaning.

Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

And You Are...? [Eosi]

Postby Annalisa Marin on January 10th, 2014, 6:06 am

Anna noticed the rather intense look she was receiving from the other woman and felt another slight blush touch her cheeks. This one was a lot different than her blonde haired and well spoken friend Velia, like she had some kind of quiet intensity about her that was almost intimidating. Belatedly the tall woman realized she was staring and looked away, deciding instead to follow up on Eosi's acceptance of her assistance and started to help her put her things away as carefully as possible.

Anna figured she looked rather pretty, almost immaculate actually if the young woman were being entirely honest with herself. Like really pretty, the kind that made the tall woman feel more than a little self conscious about herself. She was tall, plain looking, that average face in the crowd that really didn't have anything other than her height to stand out. At least for now Mister Shaik had mentioned one not knowing if they had the talent until they tried, well Anna could feel that she had the talent. That she could actually be someone, that she could climb out from the shadow of normalcy her family suffered from.

Eosi offered to show her where she found the Codex and Anna flashed her a grateful smile. She was really nice, maybe this whole meeting new people and making new friends wasn't so difficult as she had first thought it would be. The other woman was a two year student, which means she probably knew her way around better than Anna did.

"Thanks Eosi, that would be real swell. Ifn' ya need anythin' from me, I'd be more than happy to help. Ya know, since we're roommates an all." Anna said.

When Eosi mentioned that Vuld Shaik had written 'Magic and I' in a short amount of time she felt a little skeptical. It was a pretty big book, and really well written in Anna's earnest opinion. That would have taken her months probably if not longer, it seemed like much more of a time commitment since she was actually writing it. Then again she had no reason to suspect Eosi was putting one over on her, so she opted to simply accept that fast writing was something she'd need to get used to trying to perfect.

The other woman's next question confused her a little and Anna had to stop what she was doing for a moment to ponder it. It was a nice enough question, but now that Anna thought about it she didn't really like to do things that were all that interesting. At least to other people, to her they were fun but other people found them pretty boring. Still Eosi had asked so she might as well give her an answer.

"Well, I like ta take long walk on tha beach at night. I like ta read. I like talkn' ta friends about stuff that er' goin' on with their studies. I don' really do much, not exactly tha most exciten' girl around sorry ta say." Anna said.

Wait, what if she thought that made her close minded? Like she wasn't open to new things or something? That wasn't the case but you never knew what other people could assume just based on words.

"That's not ta say I'm not open ta new thing, jus' that I don' really do many things other than those. No, that's worse, what I'm meanin' to say is that I like tryin' new things! Aww, petch it, I'm not doin' ta good at explainin' me self am I?" Anna said, shutting her trap and suddenly deciding that the floor was looking very interesting with a heavy blush.

Perfect, now her new roommate probably not only thought she was a closed minded jerk but probably thought she looked like quite the fool now. Petch it, she really needed to work on her social graces if she wanted to last long outside the house.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes