Solo [The Emporium] A Life's Work

Mikayas tasks Venser with the engraving of one of his older works.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[The Emporium] A Life's Work

Postby Venser Rush on January 17th, 2014, 8:52 pm

11th of Winter, 513 AV

A grin materialized across Venser's features as he entered the Emporium. The place was his akin to his second home, a massive reliquary of the works of a man who had been, even in the short time he had known the woodcarver, like a father to Venser. The rare swell of affection swelled in the young man's heart as he climbed the staircase leading into Mikayas' workplace. The downstairs section was left unattended, seeing as it was Venser's workplace. His own personal engraver's kit was left as the help desk, where Venser was to also answer the questions and concerns of those that entered the shop. "Master? I am here. Is there anything in particular that you require of me?"

The young carver watched as his superior turned his head, his hands, which had been occupied with carving lines within what appeared to be a person, had ceased movement. Though it was still very early in the carving process, Venser had learned to tell that it was humanoid in shape. Thinner, so it was possibly a woman, as well. It was often that Mikayas was commissioned to do statues of a lover, though he had taken to notifying Venser of when he was, so that he was not disturbed.

Mikayas held a gouger in his right hand, the other pressed against the wooden surface of the sculpture, as if the practiced hands were able to discern places where the wood was flawed.
Knowing Mikayas, he probably could... It's unbelievable how long he's been here for. I'll ask him about it later. Venser entwined his fingers, tilting his head just slightly, filled with curiousity as he attempted to interpret his mentor's process. "Yes, boy. I would very much like it you will engrave a piece for a client. It is an older work. You will recognize it."

A sly grin materialized upon the old man's features as he considered his words carefully. Venser's own lips mirrored the elderly male's, knowing what was to come.
A riddle. Mikayas enjoys his games. As did Venser. The intellectual stimulation that this employer offered him was part of the reason he had chosen to work for him in the first place. The other half was that the craft was incredibly useful.For my craft, to carve is infinitely more useful than to paint. Change is nothing without impact. A permanent, lasting reminder of what has transpired.

Venser loosed the thoughts from his mind, allowing his full attention to absorb the riddle into his mind as Mikayas opened his mouth to speak, "
In the shrine's temple, the lotus blossom will rest. Streaming tresses that spill to frame a family's crest. Tragedy strikes a lovely face, though slender limbs bear this pain with grace." The carver winked at his charge before gesturing for him to leave and begin his task. "Now go, Venser. Words will find themselves for those who seek. Under your tools, just take a peek." Both men chuckled at the elderly man's words before Venser inclined just slightly for a bow, eager to begin his task.
Last edited by Venser Rush on January 18th, 2014, 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Words: 350153
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 17th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Leaving his Master's presence, Venser moved back down to the shop's base floor, crystalline eyes casting their gaze about in an effort to find the sculpture mentioned. He passed by the desk first, lifting the box that housed his tools, pulling a small slip of paper from underneath. Venser kept the paper in hand, recalling the riddle in his mind. His eyes locked upon the shape of a blossom upon a woman's head.
In the shrine's temple, the lotus blossom will rest... Clever, the head is the temple that houses the mind.

But, he could not be completely sure. One of four pieces of the puzzle that his Master had tasked him with was not nearly enough to assure him that this one was what Mikayas had been referring to. Lowering his gaze from the petal, he noted that the woman's hair was, if anything, rather short, reaching only to her shoulders.He was particular with his wording. Tresses... they are longer than that. This can't be the right one. Shaking his head, Venser turned to resume his search. A chime later, he saw another visage of a woman, the lotus petal present, long, beautifully rendered tresses reaching to her waistline. Perfect. Let's move on to the next part of that line.

Venser's gaze raised to the sculpture's neck, noting the presence of a pendant. The pendant held the shape of a dagger and staff, three small sapphires embedded into the sterling silver.
Hold on a tick... that isn't made of wood. That's an actual pendant! Venser moved forward, tracing his fingers along the wood surrounding the pendant before slowly, carefully attempting to lift the pendant. He found that he was able to, the young carver arching his eyebrows in surprise as he saw a groove, shaped to perfectly accommodate the form of the pendant. A family's crest, if I ever saw one. And that's two.

The third was obvious, a beautiful face had been present upon the last statue, as well, as it was doubtful that a commissioned statue was meant to be hideous. There were also small raises below her eyes and nearing her nose, possibly implied to be tears. Such a small detail was difficult to render, but the customer was not to be refused. But, the fourth. Tragedy strikes a lovely face, though slender limbs bear this pain with grace.The woman's fingers were interwoven, hands positioned at her stomach, her head had been slightly inclined, as if grieving.I've found my task. I should collect my tools, so that I can begin.

The sculpture was too large and heavy to lift onto his desk. He needed to adjust his approach, then. Venser moved to his desk, gathering his engraving tools, placing them into their proper pockets before placing the toolbox onto a chair, carrying the chair along so that Venser would not have to sit on the floor. Right. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, yet. Where's that paper? In his effort to focus, Venser had put the slip into his pocket, the young man pulling it out to read his Master's handwriting, "The name 'Viola' is to be engraved just above the pendant. The words 'In Peace may she Rest' are to be marked upon the sash. Be careful, Venser. This is of sentimental value."

A sash? Venser had not been paying careful attention to the woman's attire, too preoccupied with the specifics attached to the riddle. Upon looking, he noted that indeed, a sash was present. Worn above an elegant dress with puffed shoulders, sleeves extending all the way to her hands. It was intriguing how the sleeves were rendered. It looked almost... real.
Mikayas must have put a significant amount of time and effort into this... I wonder who commissioned it... It was another question that Venser reserved for later. His master was a mysterious man, to be sure.

Last edited by Venser Rush on January 17th, 2014, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 17th, 2014, 11:47 pm

The young carver had to employ caution, as he was both tasked by his master to do so, but he needed to be considerate of the elderly man's sentiments. It was of particular value to him. What did that mean? Venser was as curious as he was honoured, eager to work on a project so dear to his master's heart. He even felt a measure of confidence in the act, Venser having experience carving letters and shape into bone, due to his pursuit of the delicate art of Malediction. While his talent at carving into raw wood was budding, still to be developed, he was sure that his Master was to be proud of his work. But, the young carver was not so overconfident that he was to begin working immediately upon the project.
No. That would be reckless. I will practice the engraving first. Master Mikayas must be proud of my work. This is his trust.

Instead, Venser moved to the very back of the store, picking a piece of skinned wood, one of the mundane tasks he was given by his master, and using it as a practice "sheet." Sitting down in the chair, Venser moved his toolkit onto the floor. Opening the box, he pulled a pick, the third from the longest, its length corresponding with the size of the head. He held the tool in his left hand as his right rested atop of the wood, holding it sturdy against the young man's knee as he began the delicate process of engraving.

The practice material was not as polished as the finished sculpture, the process rendered more difficult because of the rougher surface. He began with the 'V', beginning with the delicate process of looping the left line. Venser assumed that the item, having sentimental value, was to enjoy the added bonus of more elaborate script. Or, at the least, as elaborate as the young engraver could make it without mucking up the whole thing. Fonts were difficult to mirror, and Venser simply did his best to epitomize what his master desired. Three chimes later, the first letter was rendered.

V

Hm... It seemed adequate. Venser was by no means a calligrapher. Just try your best, Venser. Mikayas has faith in you. The young man nodded in acceptance, resolve materializing upon his features in the form of his tongue delicately moving along his lip, his eyes narrowed as he allowed the diamond flecks of his engraver's pick to continue its work. Approximately fifteen chimes later, the name was marked upon the wooden block.

Viola

Satisfied with the work, the young engraver continued with the rest of his practice run. Nearly a bell passed in his effort, the young man's wrist burning with the effort of the precise, concentrated task.

In Peace May She Rest

Satisfied with his practice run, Venser decided that he was to take a break to rest his hand, after which he was to begin to transcribe it onto the real material.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 18th, 2014, 2:28 am

~Thirty-seven chimes passed in solitude as Venser Rush considered how he was to approach the smoother, polished surface of the sculpture. The scene changes as a young woman enters the store, seeking assistance.~

Flexing the muscles of his hand and wrist, Venser was sitting at his desk, carefully peeling tiny wooden pieces that clung to the diamond flecks on his engraving pick. The bells rang as a customer entered the store, Venser arching his eyebrows curiously as the visage of a young woman appeared, her gaze pensive as she looked through the assortment of sculptures. Venser rose from his chair, pushing it back and placing the body of his engraver's pick upon his ear, easily accessible, but still allowing Venser to employ the use of both of his hands in case that something needed to be moved.

How wonderful. She's perusing the smaller sculptures. I'll try to keep her there. Assisting with the transportation of a large item won't serve a purpose right now. The young engraver approached the woman, keeping enough of a distance from her to allow her the freedom to glance however she desired, but not enough so to be negligent, approximately ten feet. "Welcome to the Emporium, miss. May I assist you?" The line was rehearsed, Venser having repeated it to himself dozens of times in order to keep bitterness from rising into it.

When unexpected, the presence of a new person was rather upsetting for Venser, as the carver was, like his Master, perpetually engaged in thought. His ventures in the Flux had encouraged him to keep a broadened mind when understanding the nature of Djed. Not simply in its application, but in the grander course of the world as a whole. Mikayas hasn't known Venser for a sufficient amount of time for the young man to share such thoughts with him, but he did engage in discussion with him regarding other things.

Usually, their conversations revolved around the issues of the city. The general distrust of foreigners, debate regarding the purpose and justification of slavery, even extending to the distrust of Magic. Of course, Venser was far more reserved regarding the last topic, and Mikayas was far more practised than he, but it was... enthralling.

Venser returned his focus to the woman, noting her interest in a particular piece. It was a smaller sculpture, likely three feet tall, two feet wide, presenting an image of Rhysol. It was the norm in this city, and the boy always bit his tongue when zealots entered the store. "
How much is this?" Venser scratched his head, attempting to do the math in his mind, but it was difficult. He had been taught, by Verin, basic addition and subtraction, but it was a tedious work, done on paper. Instead, Venser moved to the desk, referring to the price sheet he had been given. "Ordinarily, an item like that would cost 63 gold mizas, miss. But, seeing as your piece of choice is a representation of our Lord Rhysol," He was, at the least, finding it easier to say the words together. The name Harameus had almost been expressed the last few times the routine conversation was held. "There is a twenty percent discount. Your new price is... Venser referred to the list again before saying, "50 gold mizas, and 4 silver mizas, miss. He managed a smile as the woman reached into her bag. She pulled out a handful of coins from the sack, placing several back in before handing the entire thing to Venser.

"Thank you." She walked out, leaving Venser once again to his solitude as the young man carefully counted out the coin. 47...48... 49... 50. And four silvers. Perfect. Venser placed the sack of coins under his desk, writing a reminder to pass the sack on to Mikayas later as he plucked the engraver's pick from above his ears, ready to begin the work assigned to him.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on January 18th, 2014, 3:37 am

~Venser takes approximately fifteen chimes to prepare himself for the task ahead, stowing the pick he had used for the practice and instead using a shorter one. The scene begins with the young man looking over the sculpture, considering his first move.

The engraver twirled his pick in his left hand, the fingers of his right hand moving along the sleek surface of the wood, at the point of the sculpted woman's collarbones. Glad that none had decided to enter, given that the sun had already begun its descent, the sky that Venser was able to see through the window was painted brilliant orange and vermilion infusing together across the celestial canvas. It was a sight second only to the marvel of night, the endless void of black illuminated by a swarm of shining white stars. He was glad for the night, knowing the peace that came with it, the solitude that he oh so preferred over the presence of patronage.

Venser ceased the movement, deciding that now was the best time to do so before he was told to leave for the day by Mikayas. If he were to leave without doing the task assigned to him, his master would be displeased. Displeasing the man was off his agenda, his respect and adoration for the man who had become his mentor was tantamount. Venser cared more for this elderly man than any of the friends he had made in his lifetime, Verin being the single connection that was of greater importance.

The young engraver began his work, placing the pick upon the surface of the sculpture's "skin", just above the collarbones, immediately above the point where the pendant that marked it as unique within the store was nestled. Venser began the task of slicing into the skin, the feeling of being a tattoo artist occurring to him.
It is sort of like that, isn't it? I'm tattooing the sculpture. I could make it more realistic by gilding it, if Master wished it so. Venser had to be far more careful with the material, noting the delicate state of the polished wood. Easy... It took slightly longer than it had during the practice, finishing the first engraving in the course of twenty-two chimes.

Viola

It wasn't a simple task, but the fact that Venser was standing made him feel more confident, the grounded nature of his posture far sturdier than it was sitting down, with the work above his knees.

Though, now Venser needed to change his posture. The statue was nearly his size, at five-foot four, but the sash was much lower, the point where he needed to begin was so, as well. Mikayas had not indicated to him the exact nature of how to engrave upon the sash, but Venser decided it for him. Mikayas generally allowed him a measure of creativity.

Venser took a seat in the chair, pushing it so that it was within two and a half feet of the sculpture, allowing the engraver space to himself, but also being close enough to not need to stress himself while working.

This... will be a tad more difficult. But, the font I had used is rather simple... I can do this. Venser closed his eyes, allowing himself a number of ticks, nearly a chime of utter silence before opening them anew, the engraver's pick making contact with the surface of the wood again.

The craft work took far longer than he had expected, and Mikayas came down the stairs more than once to check up on Venser, but he had not noticed, too concentrated in his effort. Two bells later, the task was done, letters arranged in a diagonal format along the length of the sash.

In Peace May She Rest

The time of evening had passed long ago, night shrouding Ravok in Rhysol's embrace as Venser climbed up the stairs to alert his Master that the task was complete. "Master, the task is done, I hope it is to your satisfaction."

Mikayas moved his head in a slow nod, smiling at Venser as he replied, "
I saw you as you worked, boy. You have the patience of a scholar, you do." Venser managed a smile before he remembered his question from before, "Master, may I ask who the woman was?"

Venser's resolve shook as he noted Mikayas' shoulders heave, a sigh escaping his lips. "
Go home, boy. It's late. Perhaps I'll tell you some other time."

Venser arched his eyebrows in surprise before nodding, inclining in a short bow before he said, "
Of course. I apologize, Mikayas. Enjoy your night." The question bothered Venser the entire voyage home, his curiosity intensified. He had to know.

Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Abstract on January 18th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Grade Awarded!

Venser

Skills

~ Observation - 4
~ Intelligence - 1
~ Engraving - 2
~ Rhetoric - 1

Lores

~ Solving Riddles to Find a Carving
~ Practice Before Engraving
~ Engraving: Like Tattooing a Sculpture

Other

N/A

Notes

Lovely like always! There were only one or two tense problems, much better than your other threads. Keep up the good work!

Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)