Completed Access and Balance (Miro)

Inoadar seeks training in the art of Flux

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Access and Balance (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on January 21st, 2014, 8:11 am

xxxxxxx15th day of Winter, 513
Inoadar

Inoadar left the shop, heading across town. He wore his usual mail shirt beneath his jacket; his Nettle Cloak over all. He carried extra clothes with him, in case the training regimen required something less movement-restricting than the mail. But the fact was, he knew nothing of what was going to be required.

Inoadar was a man who opted for less encumbrance as opposed to more gear when entering a situation he was unfamiliar with. Mostly this philosophy only applied to the aspect of keeping his hands free, though. He'd gone into the wild often enough to where it was no longer a truly "unfamiliar" situation, so the pack of gear he'd bring along on that sort of excursion did not contradict this rule.

Inoadar rarely carried food with him in town. He was not going to starve if an afternoon went by without a meal. This time, however, he picked up a loaf of bread, a chunk of cheese, meat and a half pound of raisins. He did not know what was involved in performing magic, and he thought it might take some reserves of energy. He could not remember ever seeing Miro eat. He knew from experience that Nuits did not eat, and there was something Nuit-like about the man. But this would not be any great encumbrance.

He shrugged this line of thinking off as he munched a few raisins, watching the canal go by from his view aboard a ravosala, one of the sleek, light taxi vessels which plied the waterways of Ravok. They arrived at the platform serving the section of NHC housing units where Miro was staying. And he crossed several bridges, doubling back to give himself views of where he had passed previously and checking alleys, rooftops and reflections in windows for overly curious eyes.

It took longer this way, but he had left early to account for this. He had noted that the suspicious ravosalaman, "Renzy", had not been serving the route which had allowed him to keep tabs on Miro's movements. Inoadar had informed Miro of the man's transgressions against his privacy, and now the man was gone. Inoadar liked that development. He entered the building and walked past Miro's unit, looking for doors sightly ajar or telltale shadows under closed ones. Seeing nothing suspicious, he went back to Miro's door and knocked.
x
Last edited by Inoadar on March 11th, 2014, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Miro on January 21st, 2014, 7:43 pm

Miro rest in his room deep in meditation. Ender Meanwhile was away from his master, in his natural form hovering over the desk. The Irylid was musing over Lessomm's attempts at Glyphing, able to easily improve them. It was obvious the man had a way to go. A few more lessons wouldn't hurt him. Perhaps one taught by the Familiar himself. The aspiration to teach and grow closer to beings beside his master was growing within him. Though both residents had their focus snapped towards the door.

The wizard struggled to rise slowly made his way to the door. He spoke silently to his partner via telepathy before the door was swung open. "It must be Lessomm, though I was not expecting him today. Abandon your natural form for something less suspicious." Immediately the command was met with excitement, which triggered another reply. "Your sealed form, not the other." The Familiar's feelings shifted to disappointment. But he did as he told and assumed the form of a reflective silver bracelet, icy cold to the touch.

The door creaked open slowly to reveal Nolan, an old friend of the undead's. Or at least he was something like that. A reliable asset, and as it was, a man owed a favor. It was for this favor that he expected his company had come. "Nolan, please come in, make yourself at home." He pulled the door wide open and gestured the man to walk in. After he was in the door was pushed shut. "I was not expecting your company, otherwise I'd have my servant here to receive you. But perhaps you would prefer a little privacy. Have you come to learn from me? It would certainly be a good timing on your part."

The Reimancer walked back to sit at the lone chair at his desk next to Ender. Across from it was a bed, and near the door was a wardrobe. Apart from that the room was rather bare, somewhat cramped too. There were drag marks across the middle of the floor, and under the bed dark blood stains could be made out in the shadows. Miro turned to look at Nolan and hoped he might help him settle in. "Please, take a seat on the bed, it's by far the most comfortable. Relax and acclimate yourself, then talk to me. It has been too long, and we've much to talk about I am sure."
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Inoadar on January 24th, 2014, 8:29 am

Inoadar

Inoadar nodded a quick smile as he entered the single room. He was surprised to find himself uncomfortable. 'He has a servant in this little place?' But it was not the presence or absence of a servant that bothered him. He didn't like that he knew absolutely nothing about what he could expect. He also wondered if there was enough room to learn a magic discipline without wrecking the place.

He sat on the bed as he was bidden, setting his small pack on the floor. "Yes, Miro, I have come to learn. I confess to some uneasiness. It is difficult for me to feel so completely dependent. You could tell me anything and I would have no choice but to believe it. That sort of position is the kind of hold I myself crave to have over others." He looked around nervously, not wanting to admit what was the true source of his uneasiness.

There were several different elements. "We have a history, a reassuring history of mutually beneficial cooperation. And though this may make a different man feel that there should be no concern with going a step further, I am not one to press on blindly. I recall you mentioning some sort of ritual, to make me your...'kin' in magic. I'm not sure what this means, but you said this would come after lessons. That there would be a 'Test of Trust'? For me to trust you as 'Master".

He looked at Miro directly, "Now, it isn't as though I can't comprehend any of this. But simple 'trust', and 'loyalty', is a different thing than calling you 'Master'. If that is only a reference to you being the teacher and myself the student, then there's no problem. I don't want to undermine our past association with all these questions, but it has been a long time since I called any man 'Master'. You already have my loyalty, Miro, but only Rhysol is my master."

He watched Miro to see if there were any signs of disappointment. It was difficult with the mask, since most such reactions showed in facial effects. But there were no bodily sags or subtle hand gestures of frustration. "Understand, it is only that I want there to be no misunderstandings between us. I cannot put any master above Him. Outside of that, I see no obstacles. Is this a problem?"
x
Last edited by Inoadar on February 12th, 2014, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Miro on January 29th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Nolan seemed troubled as he entered, but did as he was asked. He spoke his purpose, his hesitance, and was quite frank with Miro. This was not the first time, and it was again noted that such a thing could not be common for the man. The bit about him wishing to hold power over others was amused Miro though. It seemed that the two had a few things in common. Not that the wizard would do such a thing. But as the man talked on to his undead confidant, more and more it became apparent Nolan had put a bit of thought into the offer.

When finally he finished, there was an awkward pause of acceptance. He saw his acquaintance watching him for some sign of approval, at which Miro sighed and shrugged with his one hand. He understood very well the things that must have been going through his dear friends mind. "Nolan, relax friend, I understand your plight well. I will not steer you wrong however. As resourceful an ally as you make, I would be fool to hinder you in any way. And I most certainly have not forgotten the lessons you taught in Nyka. Calm your worried mind, and do listen carefully. I will tell you all about magic, and I will tell you all about being my apprentice. When our time is finished you will understand what it means to be a wizard, and what it means to be apprenticed to me."

The issue of putting none above Rhysol was an admirable one. As a show of faith to the Defiler, with pleasure this request would be filled. As for the ritual of initiation, it was different for every person. Truly in its essence, it was posed as a ceremony that all wizard's must perform exactly as instructed by the master. In reality every time the conditions and process were created for individuals. No two were the same, though one theme always presented itself. The wizard would always set a collar and chain around an apprentice's neck. The length of its reach, always different, dependent on a few things. The capability of an initiate, how trusted they are, and how much power would be given. This was a special case however.

Indeed Nolan was a capable initiate, able to offer great benefit to Miro without being given much. A rather trusted man as well, for there was an understanding between the two. Already the would-be-initiate had proven himself and earned a favor. Another way the man had proven loyalty. And all he asked was to be taught the ways of the Flux. A very reasonable request, and an honorable choice. It would certainly mean his asset would become more capable. And as such, it hardly seemed at all that any restrictions needed to be placed. Instead to garner a debt of gratitude so that the undead may call upon this asset willingly was appropriate. It was likely the wizard could not give as much as he could receive from somebody so impressive already.

At least not when the Flux was all that was asked. The Reimancer leaned in toward the bed and spoke in a confident voice. "You see, I like you Nolan, and surprisingly, you are a trustworthy guy, as shifty as you can be. Though you have a strong mind. That is why I can even consider you for this offer. Before you set your mind on being my apprentice or not, I will take today to explain Djed to you. I will also explain what will come after you understand, becoming my apprentice, learning the Flux, practicing the discipline. When you understand, the choice should become clear." Perhaps not as clear as mentioned, but any confusions could be addressed with Hypnotism.

"If I take you on as my apprentice, I am not going to force you to call me master. It is only a term of respect that acknowledges me as your mentor. When learning a magic such as the Flux, these roles of master and apprentice are very important for imparting discipline. However we needn't act as if one of us is better than the other. Simply using our real names is respectful enough, wouldn't you say, Nolan?" the wizard gave a suggestive wink before he continued. "I am thankful you have brought these concerns to me, and I hope that you understand. Nothing you have said is any issue for me. I am still in your debt, and very much wish to show my thanks and repay it."

Miro stood and reached his hand out to his wardrobe, Ionu's Light was leaned against it. He spoke the command, "Return," and the staff came to his hand. "I guess now is as good at time as any to begin." He leaned against the wooden shaft for support. "Everything comes down to Djed, but personal magic comes from the soul. These are the concepts we will begin with. I am not sure how much you already know, but it matters little. It is all relevant and you can never hear it too many times." There was so much that could be told, but a person could not take it all in at once. How to pace one's instructions was something the wizard hadn't mastered yet.

An introduction would likely cover only a few broader topics. The laws and concepts of Djed, layers of the soul, types of magic, and a display of the Flux. As well a brief lecture on the discipline and magic in general. From there he could go on to so much more though. He would make sure as well to explain Overgiving and things like Sweet Whispers, the delusions of magic. And always express the amount of self-control and discipline required to practice magic successfully. A wizard was always to be dedicated to their magic. Yes, that was perfect, just enough to explain the basics. From there Nolan could decide if he truly wished to learn the Flux.

"Oh, but before we begin, about the rite I mentioned to test your loyalty. I haven't any need to pose a test for the sake of judging you. Instead it would seem that part of my teaching method requires you to put some amount of faith in me. To trust that even were I given the chance to take advantage of you, as your mentor, I would not harm my student. Much like I am trusting you to learn my secrets and keep them safe. However after the initiation, you are very well free to do as you please. Though it is to be expected that a master and apprentice will work to hold a mutually beneficial relationship."

Miro hesitated for a moment to gather his thoughts again. He had gotten off track and struggled to bring his focus back to the lesson. It had been so long since he had taught the fundamentals, and maybe he was a bit rusty. There was a need to buy time, but he could not outright ask for it. A distraction would be needed to fill a bit of time. "Perhaps you would be interested to start our lesson with a demonstration. I will provide you the opportunity to experience the Flux for yourself. I am sure you are curious, and it should offer some insight." If he used his Glyphing bag to paint it would buy him all the time he needed.

The Reimancer began to pour liquid Res onto the floor and formed a circular plate. It was thin and flat, meant to serve as a disposable template to hold runes. The Res was transmuted to rock and the wizard moved to his wardrobe. Again he set the staff against it, and from within it he retrieved a leather bag. Just as quickly as he turned he was on the floor. "That was a demonstration of Reimancy, a personal magic. I am able to produce that aqua colored fluid, Res, and manipulate it with my will. Its real use comes from my ability to transmute it into any element. In this instance, rock, which will become a template for another magic. This time a world magic, Glyphing. It is a magic of runes, symbols drawn with the ability to modify magic."

The undead quickly began to sift through his materials and get them in place to begin Glyphing. By now using his paints to work on a plate was more treat than chore. "This will be a simple sigil, but with it I will be able to share my magic. It will store a Flux spell and release it so that you may feel the effect. Very simple and entirely safe. It is not as if I filled it with fire. Though I could do so quite easily." He opened his paint, dipped his brush and started to work. The sigil would only need contain a focus, barrier and trigger. It was hardly a powerful spell to be contained.

For the barrier Miro drew a range of jagged mountains around the outside of the plate. Their massive peaks framed the center which would hold the focus. A slight recess in the range was left open for the trigger as well. For the focus he began to draw a large swirling whirlpool. He drew lines growing thinner as he moved inward, until finally in the center he drew the symbol of the black sun. For the trigger he painted a flame burning under the cover of mountains, but kept at bay by vicious waters. It was tasked to release the focus when the rune was stepped on by a living person. And with that it was done, quick and easy.

He didn't take as much time to think about the lesson as he would hope, but it was all coming back to him. Glyphing like that, it always took him back to his childhood. The wonder of crafting runes, to tell a story of magic with their Djed. The undead could almost hear his mother's voice in his ear now. How long now had it been since he heard it? Seemed like an eternity, though her lessons would always be with him. He took his sandals off in preparation to step bare feet onto the plate. The paint would still be a bit longer before it fully dried. In that time he would collect his mind.

It felt nice to have free feet. Miro could only barely tolerate sandals, and anything else was out of the question. Much of the time he was tempted to leave his feet bare, but such a thing posed some problems. It certainly did allow him to feel refreshment from the brief exposure he did get. The cold of the wooden floor was quite soothing. As well he used this time to begin to place items back in his bag and move to store it in the wardrobe. His mind calmed and slowly he came to a mental tranquility. He began to think about the Flux and his own training. All of the procedures and discipline taught and learned over the many years he practiced the magic.

By the time the plate had finished drying, the undead had his lesson plan mostly figured. There were some subtle details still to work out, but it would not be an issue. He stepped onto his bare feet onto the plate and stood in the center atop the focus. He lacked to satisfy the trigger, thus the sigil was kept in tact. Were any living wizard to try and program the plate, it would activate and crumble before their feet. To ready for casting his closed his eyes and clenched the face of his mask with his hand.

The Flux functioned quite simply for a discipline so complex. It was all about redirecting currents. Djed flown through pathways to empower limbs mostly, but so much more could be done. The ability to draw from one part of the body and empower another was a very flexible one. The key to it was balance, as one must know how much any pathway can spare, as well as how much the target pathway can receive. To redirect from multiple pathways was the ability of a skilled user, but somewhat simple by now. It was by far the best way to make an impression.

Miro began to call his Djed for casting. He focused on his spine, as if to flex, but did not move in the slightest. He began to pull from his very soul and flow it through his body. There was a silent tension in the room, his mind focused on the spell at hand. The wizard attuned himself with his body, though unable to feel a portion of it. Ink had taken so many of his pathways. He moved his hand from his face to grasp his blackened hand that hung from his robe. Slowly he drew in breath and released it, and finally he was ready to begin the redirection.

The sensation of Djed's influence on the flux of a pathway was always a thrill. It tingled as it moved and built, but where it had left was numbed accordingly, until finally all connection was lost. The undead redirected the Djed from his right arm's pathways to flow through his internal organs slowly before it came to rest along his spine. At the same time an amount was drawn from his left leg and flown into the right. An amount that would transfer nearly half the leg's strength. For the final redirection he took an amount from his heart, though already without a beat, and guided part of its strength to the brain.

The Djed that moved from one leg to another would give direct comparison in strength, an example of practical use. Though the effect of each internal organ being empowered he could only guess, a rather complex use. The amount that moved from the heart however would cause it to pump less blood, but cause the mind to sharpen, an effect both complex and practical. It was the best that could be managed, and hopefully it was enough of a demonstration. The wizard stepped off the plate and turned to Nolan.

"There, I have finished. It is a complex redirection, perhaps somewhat extreme, but entirely safe. When you are ready step onto the plate, and the effects will happen naturally. Just remain calm and try to focus on what happens. You will experience the redirections, and then the effect will fade within a few moments. After you have finished I will begin the lesson." Though the focus was only on two sentient beings in the room, there was a third. Ender remained silent and still of mind on his master's desk, but slowly something stirred. It was not enough to be perceived through empathetic connection, though the Irylid became increasingly displeased as the lesson progressed. Still he did not quite trust this Nolan Parnell character. His master seemed quite overly taken with him however.
Last edited by Miro on February 1st, 2014, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Inoadar on January 30th, 2014, 7:47 am

Inoadar

Inoadar watched as Miro began outlining a glyph pattern, a barrier of mountains around the circumference, and some sort of whirlpool in its midst. The mage's words would inspire reassurance if Inoadar chose to take them at face value. This was difficult for him though. Miro heaped flattery on him, which all too often was the first step in taking someone off guard. But he could never perceive any real guile in the man. Miro seemed too confident in his power to bother with it.

The additional high comments about magic and things like 'understanding what it means to be a wizard' did not sit well with him. Inoadar did not wish to be a "wizard". He only wanted a way to enhance his melee abilities. But as Miro spoke, his self-assurance was increasingly infectious. If not for the run-ins Inoadar had had with the mage, Clyde Sullins, he'd have probably had no trepidation whatsoever. But much of Miro's demeanor reminded him of Sullins. But Sullins' assurances were all in support of threats. Miro's promised knowledge and options of power.

The glyph was finished and Miro had empowered it in some unseen way. The mage's words were somewhat at odds with themselves. 'A "complex" spell?...somewhat "extreme"?...yet entirely "safe?" All Inoadar had to do was step inside the glyph mountain barrier. Miro's mention of the ease with which he could have it be a fire spell did not calm Inoadar's nerves any. But he'd had that threat hanging over his head for two seasons now. Again, the work of Clyde Sullins.

Inoadar currently had three glyphed scrolls residing in his shop, 'Ino Vations'. All placed there by Sullins with conditions prohibiting their removal. His history of animosity with the man was too long to rehash now. He didn't have the money to simply allow his shop to be gutted by fire, and rebuilt elsewhere. So he'd gotten used to the threat. In fact, he'd developed the mental approach to the situation in a way that made him feel that he had a dread weapon to use on the place if it was ever full of enemies.

That was not the approach that served him here though. Here, it was the same philosophy he'd preached to his apprentice, Vera. That all people had fates based upon their past lives. Courage in the face of adversity being rewarded in their next life with better circumstances. Cowardice or pointless cruelty meriting suffering. This was obviously to be one of his life's crux moments. If something went horribly wrong, he will have deserved it, due to some past life's transgression.

He saw Miro waiting and made his choice. His first step resulted in no sensation whatsoever. Clearly it took both feet, the same as Miro when he'd formed the spell. The moment the second foot touched stone, it felt as if his body's very composition surged and whirled out of control. He felt as though he'd somehow exhausted one leg with some extreme effort and exchanged that with a sudden burst of unexpected vitality in the other. He felt that he must surely topple over on the weak side. If not for the disorienting surge of...essence...through his torso and arm, he might have leapt from the plate with just the power in his right leg.

Power surged up his spine and stopped, seeming to suck the functionality from his internal organs at the same time. All over his body, he felt dizzying ravages of unrestrained spikes and dips of vigor and balance. But though the "drained" areas felt briefly numbed, the experience was not truly unpleasant. While the rushes of sensation were occurring, he could not fathom what the point of this ordeal was. Only that the capabilites of some parts of his body were rushing to other parts. His leg and spine felt as though they could lift a building, but his arms and other leg felt as if they could not lift their own weight.

That very notion of balance and imbalance was right on the cusp of realization when the surge from his chest reached his head. His brain suddenly felt so pressurized he thought it might burst. It was almost as if a second brain was suddenly packed into his skull. He instinctively closed his eyes tightly and crunched his neck into his shoulders as he rolled his head to find relief. He brought his hands to his ears and heard moaning. He was too disoriented to realize it was himself.

The weakened leg collapsed and he flopped out of the glyph plate onto the floor, the room spinning in his mind. Everything snapped quickly back into balance, however, and he found himself instinctively getting back to his feet. He turned to find Miro watching him. "What in Dira's Dungeons was that?" he barked, digging at his ears to stop the ringing.

x
Last edited by Inoadar on February 12th, 2014, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Miro on February 6th, 2014, 6:40 am

Nolan took the effects of the sigil like a champ. More or less at least. In all of the chaos unexpectedly flown through his body, it was possible to interpret such an effect as an attack. But without doubt it would prove the existence of the magic. As the plate released the last of the spell into its target, it began to crumble, and as it fell so did the user. "Oh, right, when the Glyphing is exhausted, the medium used is often damaged. My Reimancy has a habit of breaking down into rubble. But as you can see, the Flux works as I said. Currents of your body's Djed redirected from one area to another. Interesting, isn't it?"

Miro offered a hand to the man and prepared himself to pull his fallen friend to his feet. Nolan was the type to perhaps not trust such a simple gesture, but the offer would still hold purpose. Not that the undead's feelings would be hurt if it were declined. He was sure no assistance was actually required, offered more as a gesture than anything. But the distraction of the Glyphing had run it course. By now he felt a little more confident to continue. "Now I suppose we should start with the actual lesson. We will start with the concept of Djed, the very backbone of our existence. The word literally means backbone in the ancient tongue."

The wizard hobbled back to his chair and dropped his weight upon it. He turned himself back to Nolan and continued the lesson. Or at least he opened his mouth to. Before he could Ender interrupted with a change in his form. The Irylid assumed his natural form, a large silver orb, and floated above the desk. Miro could feel his Familiar's desire for attention, but would not indulge him. "Ender, if you are to assume that form, do stay silent." Hopefully such an introduction to the room was not too shocking for their company. "Forgive me Nolan, this is my Familiar, Ender. Do not pay him much attention now, your lesson is very important. But do tell me if his presence is a distraction."

It was an annoyance for the master, but more a slight to the Familiar. He felt insulted, belittled, unimportant, and the undead easily picked up on this. However he simply did not care. Lately Ender had sought attention far too much. It was certainly not going to interrupt important business. "Where was I? Oh, yes, right. Djed is the essence of existence, what everything is made of. Everything tangible and intangible alike. It is synonymous with magic however, as magic is the art of manipulating Djed. In personal magic, like the Flux, it is manipulating the Djed of the soul." Things got complicated from here, and could split into a few directions. To properly organize a lesson always left him slightly frustrated.

"This is where things get a little complex, so I'll try to take things slow. Let us focus on personal magic and the soul for a bit. In use of personal magic, a wizard learns to part with a portion of their spiritual essence. Through training you will learn to expend a portion of your soul for casting magic, though only a slight portion. With this a great deal of amazing feats can be accomplished, but the price is always steep, with limits hard to see. When these limits are crossed Djed is taken from the body and soul, which causes overgiving. When one casts with this vital Djed, they are damaging themselves to continue casting. This is why wizards are often lost to insanity or deformity."

The Chained One grinned at this, his attention centered on Nolan's reaction to everything said. He was quite curious how the lesson would be received. It was somewhat a thrill even to speak of magic, oddly enough. The wizard leaned in and spoke in a clear voice. "When a wizard has started to slip past his limits he starts to feel an allure to cast more. Sweet Whispers softly hum the desire to cast one more spell in his ear. His body begins to lose all sense of fatigue and pain, instead vigor and comfort fill his muscles. He is sure he can't be beaten, he need only cast one more, no, one more, no just one more. Until one more causes him to forget his own name and why he should stop casting."

This was the most important lesson to learn. Flux wizards were the type to lose just enough of their mind to destroy their bodies. The effects could be terrible, as the wizard knew all too well. "What effects happen though depend on the discipline of magic however. Some, like the Flux, they tend to have some emphasis on the body. However others have greater effect on the mind. Though in most cases a discipline will affect both, only to different degrees. The effects of pulling Djed from the body could result in wounds, deformities, as well as other odd paranormal effects. But when overgiving effects the souls, things tend to be a bit more complex. Instead of the body breaking down, the mind tends to, and sanity is slowly withered away."

This next part was important to understand the effects of overgiving. The way it manifests depends on what the magic is channeled through, what layer of the soul if damages. "The soul is made up of four layers. The soulcore is the very center of the soul. It is the only part that remains untouched during reincarnation, and it defines your soul. It is what links your many incarnations together in the grand cycle, until finally it is freed from the endless chain. The next layer is the persona, a very important layer. It contains all of your skills, memories, feelings, your very personality. During reincarnation it is shed and replaced, wiped clean for a new life. The third layer is the astral body, a very important layer for the Flux. The astral body binds the soul to the body, and it controls the body’s movements. The last layer is the aura, radiated Djed from the soul."

Things had gotten slightly complicated. Perhaps it was not too much for the student, but it could very well be far too much. The best thing to do would be to slow things down. Miro began to drift into his mind as he sorted the best solution. For a chime he became distant, his mind occupied, and his Familiar picked up on this. As to obey the order given, Ender would not speak. At least he wouldn’t in his current form. So again he began to change his form, this time to his replicant form. The silver orb began to morph into a humanoid shape. He sprouted limbs and began to form clothes on his body and definite features. He assumed the form of a young adult of Symenestra and Vantha heritage. His eyes shone silver, and he wore dark clothes. He pushed his black hair from his face and watched with a blank look on his face.

The Irylid walked to the foot of the bed and looked at Nolan. He looked the man in the eyes and spoke in a dry monotone. "Hello Nolan,” he paused for a moment. ”I am Ender, an Irylid from Fyrden. It is a distant world, a terrible place, one you would not wish to visit. I was brought to this world by a Summoner and bound to Miro. Our souls are connected, as are our lives. It is nice to finally meet you." Ender did not quite like Nolan however. He did not trust him, yet whimsy had overtaken reason, and the creature continued to reveal his secrets. At one time he had even ordered his master not to reveal his existence, but much had changed since then.

Perhaps it was that by now the Familiar had become comfortable with the shady man's presence. He seemed far more level headed than Miro. And in truth Ender sought attention and companionship. Something the wizard he was bound to did not excel at. Such initiative was surprising to his master however. The undead watched with subtle discontent as the Irylid acted out of term. Though he did not make a move yet. It was such a bother to sort things like this out. If the creature wished his presence revealed, so be it. Nothing could be done at this point but to accept the act and work with it. A needless distraction at best.

"Yes, this is Ender, my partner. The magic that binds us is known as Familiary, and as our bond deepens, so too does our power. We two have been through a lot. As you can see, he is able to assume a few forms. Do notice the silver bracelet I wear is gone. But his natural form is that of the silver orb. With a bit of effort he can assume his current form, but rarely does that ever happen. I assume he has heard enough of you to have an impression and wishes to make it known. He is quite opinionated and expressive, when he does talk."

Ender was a bit surprised to read such a cold tone from his master. The satisfaction of being acknowledged was evident when the Irylid's cold expression broke with a slight smirk. It was the first expression of body language the wizard had ever witnessed from his Familiar. His young face lost all expression again as he began to drone further to Nolan. "Indeed Miro is correct. You are not the kind of man I would normally advise my master to trust. In fact, when you two met, I pleaded he not get involved. However that would have been a mistake. I shan't distract you much longer, but know that if ever you are in need of my assistance, it is yours. I am nearly as powerful as Miro, and you needn't worry about providing compensation."

With the short leash the creature had been allowed he made his move. The Irylid wasn't sure that Nolan would ever request anything of him, but would eagerly accept the chance. The Familiar would assist the man without compensation for a very simple reason. The adventure and company was reward enough. To be of assistance and work with a human as an equal was what he craved most. He could do great things assisting Nolan. Though he knew his master would not approve so easily. To use the duo's Djed without compensation was the fault in that. But if Nolan were to become an apprentice, that would all change. Miro's apprentices were entitled to use all of his resources.

And yet again the wizard was thrown off route in teaching. He had lost his place in the lesson, and still he had to deal with Ender's intrusion. The undead moved to Ender and grasped him by the back of the neck roughly. The impatience he radiated was hint enough for the Irylid to resume his sealed form. His features quickly began to evaporate as he wrapped about his master's wrist yet again as a silver bracelet. "Yes, indeed, a Familiar is a lifelong burden. But also a companion and asset with great potential. He has caused me to lose my place in your lesson however, as I feared. Might we take this time to hold a short pause? I encourage you to ask as many questions as possible before we begin again. There is not much more you need to know."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Inoadar on February 11th, 2014, 5:04 am

Inoadar

Inoadar stood slowly, expecting to find himself weakened, but feeling surprisingly unaffected now. "Is this how it is when it's over?" he asked cautiously, still anticipating some sort of dizziness or lack of feeling. "I feel okay now. I figured I'd stay that way until you cast some sort of...reversal...spell...or something."

The masked man seemed to have a particular order to his instructions and acted as though he would get to that in due time. He made mention of starting the "actual lesson", which caused Inoadar a bit of uneasiness. He not liked the sense of not being in control, even though the feeling of enhanced capability in his leg had been quite impressive.

He was about to ask a couple more questions when a silver ball suddenly caught his attention. The fact that it floated on its own meant little to Inoadar. He assumed it was some mage trick of Miro's. It was the fact that the mage began talking to it that struck him as odd. But Inoadar soon realized this was a sentient being and not just a wad of..."djed" or..."res" or whatever. He wondered if there was a difference between the two. He remembered Miro using both terms at times. But he also remembered that it had been bluish in color, whereas this was decidedly silver.

He had no idea if mages were limited to colors in any way. But he also remembered curious past moments when Miro had seemed to be lost in some external focus of sorts. But when He introduced the little entity as his familiar, and named him as "Ender", Inoadar realized he probably had some sort of mental bond that would allow silent communication between them. It seemed only logical.

Miro launched back into his lecture. it all seemed to be common sense, with a clear emphasis on warnings of reckless use. Inoadar was reassured to recognize an approach that would mirror his own. If he was to teach someone the use of poison, the first and foremost thing he would begin with was caution and respect for the dangers of the trade. He found the reference to "Whispers", goading a wizard into harmful excess, quite extraordinary. He could see how devastating a cycle into which this could trap an overconfident wizard.

He was wondering just how he could make himself a note to be careful of this when the silver orb became a fully clothed humanoid figure on the end of the bed. The little familiar, "Ender" began to speak to HIM now and Inoadar was quite intrigued. He wasn't really listening, but his fascination may have made it appear so. It took little effort for Inoadar to imagine how useful such a shape-shifting little confederate could be.

For his part, Miro seemed genuinely annoyed at the interruption, and Inoadar could not blame him. Had he not been so intrigued, he might have been a little insulted to hear that the little entity had advised distrust at the outset of their relationship. But then again, it was only sensible to be careful. This was Ravok after all, and Inoadar would have it no other way.

Clearly though, Miro had had enough of his familiar's introduction and coerced him back to bracelet form. The mage encouraged Inoadar to ask questions. The poisoner supposed it was probably a useful way for the mage to recollect the direction of his lesson. He started with his original query.

"Is it supposed to feel normal when it's over? I felt normal very quickly.
Would I have heard these "whispers" you spoke of if I had done it again?
Is that part of what you get better at, doing it more times before it starts to petch you up?
Was that how it always feels, or does it go through different...body...paths?
Is that the point, that you can choose?
Does it always have to affect your whole body, or can you make it just be a small portion of it?
Was there a second spell that reversed it, or do you return to normal automatically?
Am I supposed to be able to do it myself now, or was that just a sample of what it will feel like?
Can you make it happen to others' bodies also?"

x

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Miro on February 11th, 2014, 11:09 am

Miro was a little unsure where to go with the lesson from here. But the students questions directed things well. It seemed Nolan wanted to know of the Flux. It was to be expected, even if it was not to be the focus of the instruction. Arguably an apprentice only needed a slanted knowledge of magic as it related to their own discipline. To be taught this way was what made dabbling into other disciplines dangerous. To only graze the surface of knowledge on a discipline and dive in blindly often turned out disasters quite quickly.

"Alright Nolan, I'll explain it all, don't worry. Redirections of one's Djed must be sustained. Of course to hold a spell strains the caster. To a novice, multiple redirections at once, as I did, is very taxing. However you needn't worry of overgiving. The redirection is caused by the stored Djed in the Glyphing. It would only use your own if you were to attempt to sustain it. Even if you did attempt, I doubt you'd have gotten very far. Though I must say, you are quite adept at asking questions. I will explain exactly how the discipline is used for you."

It was quite the fun lesson suddenly. Obviously the student was working well with his teacher, even if the tutors skill in instruction lacked practice. The questions were a great guide to fill in a lesson, as well as a question the wizard hadn't the answer to. It was one he hadn't really asked himself. "The Flux is learned by first understanding the pathways that flow through our bodies. These pathways flow through our internal organs and limbs, all the way from the top of the head to the tip of your toes. By borrowing the strength of another body part, a Flux practitioner may redirect their Djed to empower another."

It was already as he had explained, but finally he could explain the rest. There was so much more he could not say until he had explained the lesson. "These pathways are what connect the astral body, the third layer of the soul, the one that maneuvers the body. It is indeed a magic of manipulating the astral body within these streams of Djed that flow through our beings controlling them. With great practice it is even able to control the functions of the body with your control. The key to the discipline is unity and understanding of the body. To know how much any body part will behave if enhanced and the limit before it breaks. This is why discipline is everything."

With discipline a wizard could stray away from the edge of overgiving and slipping away from becoming reckless. The magic was useless if the practitioner's body was destroyed from use. This was exactly what the discipline did. It made the caster careless, to slip little by little, cast stronger redirections, then lose control of any concept of strength. Any form of overgiving beyond that was likely horrid, but little when compared to the destruction of the body. "A Flux wizard learns to cast Djed to redirect individual pathways with balance. They will learn to simultaneously become weaker and stronger to deal cheat the limits of the body."

Miro grinned behind his mask. He had never thought of it that way, the magic truly was to cheat the body. "The only way you can learn this magic is to train and meditate until you understand the unity between your body and soul. If you wish to become my apprentice, I can teach you everything you need to know, train you like nobody else could. I will help you to understand everything you need to know about magic to practice the discipline. Slowly you will come to understand what it means to be a wizard. With a master to train you as an apprentice, you will have a guidance and protection. I will watch you for any signs of overgiving, teach you how to properly cast."

The undead thought about the question he had been asked about being able to make the effect happen in others. With Glyphing it could be done easily. It was always how he had always done it. But since he had become more skilled he had not attempted to try to manipulate another's pathways. "About your inquiry about direct manipulation of another person's pathways, I hadn't though to try. I learned instead to use Glyphing, and haven't ever made an attempt to feel another's Djed flux. Let alone to try and manipulate it. I expect I would need to practice the technique, if such a possibility does exist."

Miro halted his lesson and brought his hand to his face inquisitively. He began to interrogate himself to decide the direction of the lesson. But as he thought it seemed there was naught left to say. Had he really taught everything needed to for an introduction of magic necessary to understand the Flux? Could magic ever really be that easy? Of course there was more on basic lessons of magic that needed to be touched on. A full lecture on world and divine magic, the laws of Djed, not just basic theory, as well as a great many other topics that bring enlightenment. For now with the lesson explained, it only seemed appropriate that he follow up on his promise.

"Well, as I said, you know all you need to know for now. To be my apprentice means we are colleagues, but with a unique relationship. I am your instruction on magic, and you my student. I allow you access to a great many of my resources, anything I may provide to you, and in return you provide assistance on things I may need help with. And when a time comes that I am in NEED of you, that you will not let me down. Of course, this can be expected of me to you as well, and with of course the compensation that comes with cooperative ventures. Master and apprentice when it comes to magic, partners always."

Miro stood and walked to the middle of the room. He looked Nolan in the eyes and offered his hand. His voice was calm and soft, yet powerful with confidence. "If you will accept me as your master, your partner, your instructor, shake my hand. I will gladly teach you my friend. All that I know would be yours to claim, should you seek it. If not, then I understand. I ask for some commitment to me, something you should not accept so lightly. With my lesson I am sure you could find the Flux without me, should you search hard enough." The Hypnotist focused on his gaze and presence and began to empower his words with suggestions to leave a subconscious impression on the mind. "I am sure we will be happy as partners."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Inoadar on February 12th, 2014, 4:03 am

Inoadar

It did not seem too complicated a concept to Inoadar. What he had felt when he stepped into the glyph plate jibed with what the mage was telling him now. He'd felt the pathways as the force, which he could only assume was djed, sped from location to location.

It had been both disturbing and exhilarating at the same time. He'd never had the sense of being aware of the presence of lungs within his chest, the bones in his hips, the array of muscles in his thighs. It was as if his body was full of moderately inflated balloons and the flow of force had deflated some on the way to bringing powerful pressure to others.

He'd felt as if he could have kicked Miro's front door in half if he'd wanted. But this brought a question to mind. "When you say "borrowing the strength", is that an accurate assessment of what's happening? I mean, is it more than just a loss of strength? Is the actual structure of the bone affected as well? I felt like I could have lifted five hundred pounds when that hit my leg, but would the rest of my body shattered if I had tried?"

Miro's explanation of balance, discipline and knowing the body's limits was right on the mark. It made sense. There would be no reason to pump up his arms with enough strength to lift ten times their normal capacity if the rest of the body was so weakened by it that he couldn't even stand. It was along the lines of the difference between a long distance run and a sprint. It would be for short bursts, utilizing only portions of the body.

If you needed a devastating punch, you wouldn't take it from your back, or you wouldn't be able to back up the force of the swing with sufficient leverage. It would be best to pull the buffering force from the non-punching arm just for that hit. It would not be for anything long term. If he tried to empower a long run, there would surely be some aspect of the body that would fail. He could empower his legs, but the synchronized movements of the arms would soon be lacking, greatly diminishing the benefit. Or worse, some vital organ would fail from the exertion.

He was just formulating the words to ask about structural strength manipulation, the ability to reinforce a normal fist with enough extra sturdiness to punch through a door without breaking the bones, when Miro admitted that he did not know about being able to affect another person's pathways.

He'd been going over the parameters of the master-apprentice relationship. This was not anything Inoadar found demeaning. He'd been using the same terminology with people he gave instructions to about crafting poisons. It was necessary to establish the structure of authority. The other questions he had could wait. He enjoyed Miro's attitude and confidence. He even liked Ender. He felt a sense that he would be glad he made this commitment.

He rose, took Miro's offered hand, shook it and smiled, "I accept, Master...Partner...Friend. So...How do I do it?" He grinned at what he knew was a greatly generalized question, but you had to start somewhere.

x
Last edited by Inoadar on March 11th, 2014, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Miro on March 10th, 2014, 3:22 am

Miro was feeling as if things were coming to a close today. While there was no simple way to achieve initiation into the Flux, there was a simple enough lesson to do so. It really was based around a very simple principle, and training was not especially difficult. But the process took dedication, and it took a long time to realize the ability to naturally redirect one's Djed. "Indeed Nolan, you are borrowing the strength of the body. You redirect the Astral Body within your physical body to increase your capabilities beyond their natural means. Of course, as I explained, the Astral Body controls the physical body. So without the astral, the physical can not move."

The process the wizard learned by, it took years. Admittedly he was just a child, but one dedicated to studies of magic. His teacher was somewhat skilled to be working with a child as she did, but limited in her knowledge of the discipline. There were things the undead could do for his students that his own master could not for him. "Through the manipulation of the body's Djed, some effects can be achieved, but this is not a magic that changes the structure of the body. The redirection will, at least to a degree, enhance your body's ability to withstand pressure put on it. However this enhancement is hardly enough to hold out against the strength the magic allows. Your body will shatter if you try." These were good questions, but alarmed the wizard. He had so much more to teach his apprentice.

"The Flux is a magic of balance. This must be remembered above all else. I will tell you how to perform the magic for yourself, but the process is not easy. The first step is to understand your own body. To become familiar with what it is capable of. To know just how strong it is, and to understand well its limits. This is the first step, and it is achieved through training. You become stronger, know your body better, and this prepares you for your next step. Once you know the physical part of your body, you then look deeper. You learn to feel the flow of your pathways, to sense your Astral Body resting within. Once you can do this, it is only a matter of practice. Practice day after day manipulating the energies within. Eventually you will become proficient."

And that is all there was to it. While Miro was an expert now, he once was only able to manipulate a small amount in his hands. And it was this small amount that he worked with over and over until he became able to redirect entire limbs, to no longer need gestures and eventually manipulate his Djed effortlessly. "Normally I would advise a student to perform a simple routine day after day. Train your body to its limit, and then meditate. Hold a meditative pose and focus on the body. Feel every ache, every pulse of blood pumping, the internal flow of your life force. You focus on this with all you have, and you attempt to control it. Reverse the flow, guide it to your will, and someday you will succeed."

This was the way things were supposed to be with the Flux. The process instilled discipline and patience. The unity of the mind, body and soul were forged through this drawn out process. Indeed all three were trained by it too, and the practitioner became strong by them. The fortitude that taught them to use the magic also kept them from being lost to it. Though there was a way it could be taught much more quickly. A way that skipped all of the philosophy and training and just taught how to perform the magic. As much as the morals and lessons were a part of the magic, they were not a part of this arrangement.

"However I can give you a way to skip all of that nonsense. I can give you the magic, rather than to dangle it in front of you. Instead of working day after day, dedicating all of your focus, patience and time, I can help your mind to realize the process of redirection. This would mean you lack the discipline of a wizard who learned over years, and you would have to instead rely on your own mental fortitude. Overgiving can take anyone who would abuse the gift of magic, so you must be sure to use it in moderation. However, given you leave me some time to prepare, I can simply and quite literally give you the magic. It will spring upon you like a forgotten memory, and you will be able to achieve the most minor or redirections on your own. From there you only need to hone the ability to properly practice the discipline."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next