[Wanda's Scrap] Wait. What?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Abstract on January 8th, 2014, 2:22 am

Oooh... very pretty! I love the colors, and especially the shadows behind the different parts!

I can't wait to see it :)
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Wanda Endust on January 11th, 2014, 11:46 pm

FROZEN.

I just saw Frozen in theaters!

NEW FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIE ASDF;LKJ.

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on January 21st, 2014, 10:32 pm

Notice.

As of this minute, I just found out that my grandpa passed away. We're going to be heading north for his funeral asap.

I know I promised a good few of you that I'd be getting on top of late replies this week, but I don't know whether or not this will affect that at all.

I'll write something more about this whenever I can.

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Hadyn Skellig on January 29th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Condolences! I know this is a bit late but I just saw this. Very sorry for your loss <3
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on February 15th, 2014, 6:35 am

Valentine's? (I'm late!)

So I'm late, but I'm just gonna drop this here. I'm a big believer that you can only really love someone else if you can love yourself first.

Secret :

Secret :

Secret :

Secret :

And thus ends my period of procrastination! I'll be giving my booty the boot to boost me into a posting frenzy in the morning y'all.

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on February 20th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Quick update!

I've been busy with a bunch of school things this week (senior stuff! (woooo!)) and my posting's been pretty nonexistent. It's going to stay slow on my part for the next couple days, but I'm hoping to get caught up -- or at least get started catching up -- this weekend.

That goes for any and all artsy-fartsy things as well. I've kept some of you waiting longer than I intended to, and I'm not going to put an estimate on how long I'm going to keep taking because I'm not entirely sure myself.

On a related note, it looks like I'm going to be entering the Mizaharian New Year with a number of grandfathered threads, so I'll be trying to keep any Spring co-op threads to a minimum until I can manage to get a good number of those plots tied up!

Hope everyone's having a great week!

Wanda
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on February 23rd, 2014, 6:49 pm

YOU THERE.

I promise I'm going to squeeze in a post or two today, but can I just get something off of my chest first?

I like to think I'm pretty laid-back when it comes to art. Or just pretty laid-back when it comes to things in general. Do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll live happily in the land of sunshine and rainbows and equal-opportunity. And stuff.

But something has been weighing on my conscience for a while.

See, I'm a very competitive person. I love seeing other people improving themselves and their skills and trying new things and being daring even if things don't turn out the way they'd wanted or intended. Seeing others push themselves inspires me to push myself to become better than I was before.

The reason it often takes me a very long time to get any artsy stuff done is because it absolutely KILLS me to know I haven't done the best I can possibly do. It KILLS me to do the same thing I've already done. If you look through my boxcode art thread thing, you might notice that I try not to do the same exact thing twice. Then you'll notice that there are some that look pretty similar to others. Very similar to others. (Especially in the earlier examples, but I digress).

I beat myself up a little bit inside whenever I do a box that's very similar to another because I hate it. I hate knowing that I slacked and could've done better and didn't push myself to do better and instead settled for the same-old-same-old style just because it was easier and all I had to do was slap it together in an hour.

I look at those boxes and, no matter how great y'all think they are, I will always feel a pit in my stomach because I'm disappointed.

I CANNOT physically stand it when I copy something I've already done just because it'll be easier. With every box I make, I try to do something special, something I've never done before, something I was a bit leery about trying. Because, if I'm being honest, I don't care so much about how you guys feel about the boxes. I care about how I feel about the boxes.

But.

These feelings don't extend to just my own art. Any time I see anyone staying stagnant, not improving, never changing, never adapting, never growing, not challenging themselves, I don't just get a little sad. I don't just shed a little tear of disappointment and shake my head and sigh.

I GET MAD.

Sometimes I don't feel like cushioning my words. Sometimes I want to say exactly what I mean, even if it sounds a little mean. Sometimes I want to be blunt and if someone gets offended it's their own fault, because sometimes our feelings shouldn't be anyone's responsibility but our own. So I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm tired of people taking the easy option and just following everyone else's lead just because. JUST BECAUSE. Just because they're too lazy to try anything new? Or too scared? Or too apathetic in general?

Hey, I get it. It's your creation. You can do what you want to/with it. You're okay with doing them same thing over and over like a monotonous machine. But are you proud of it? How long can you go on like that before you just start going through the motions? Before you're just another lump on a log doing the same thing, plugging the same doohickey into another doohickey to get ... (drumroll) THE SAME DOOHICKEY/THING/RESULT/EFFECT! WOAH! Didn't see that coming.

But, the thing is, it's even worse when it's not even your creation. Not really.

You know what eats at me the most? When people don't even do the same thing they've already done. They do the same thing someone else has already done. Like, flat out. It's not even like they tried to tweak it enough to even consider it their own work. Even the most unnecessary little details of it are the same. Like, really. Dude, you're not even trying. Dude.

Dude. Look deep inside yourself. Find something unique to you. Find your own style and your own voice and make your own contribution to the world. Because you know what you're telling me so far? You don't think that your own work is good enough.

I'm not trying to call anyone out here, I'm not necessarily talking about one person, and I'm not necessarily only talking about art. Hey, I'm not even exclusively talking about Miz. I'm talking about anyone this applies to. Including myself.

So give yourself a kick in the pants and do something daring. Create something that's 100% inspired by your own brain. Then, even if it's an ugly mess, you'll love it. It's your baby.

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on March 13th, 2014, 12:04 am

This song.

I heard this song on a Target ad and had to find out what it was. Been listening to it all day!

Forever - HAIM :

Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on April 14th, 2014, 3:49 am

I'm here!

Just thought I'd take some time to answer a few questions:

YES I'm posting as fast as I can at the moment.

NO I haven't forgotten about any of you, promise. I think.

Things are going to be pretty hectic on my end for the rest of this month and on through to May, what with all my last minute college decisions and all. Throw some spotty internet and an uncooperative computer into the mix, and things aren't looking too sharp. But rest assured, I am not purposefully abandoning any threads right now. I'm just working off of a pretty sporadic priority system that may or may not have the thread I have going with you placed on the low end (or the high end, depending on your perspective) of the totem pole for now. Thanks for all of your patience!

“If I told you I’ve worked hard to get where I’m at, I’d be lying, because I have no idea where I am right now.”

― Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not for Sale
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Siobhan on August 4th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Wherefore did I go?

This is definitely a contrast to my last post.

So what happened?

Well, initially, my hard drive got fried. That got fixed around mid-June.

Followed up by issues and problems -- mostly familial -- that I don't feel comfortable going into detail about because they effect other people and their privacy.

I can't apologize for the absence, because it was necessary and I don't regret it. But I do regret not giving a heads-up or explanation when I had the chance to. I feel really bad about -- and apologize for -- that.

I had something really long and grandiose that I was going to write, but I don't want to over-dramatize my reentry.

Third time's a charm?

--

That being said, all my previous PCs are being put on the back-burner. One thing I have realized with them is that, while they had personalities and general concepts and histories, none of them had a real story. There was nothing for me to tell. They weren't born of a need to share their tale -- I had to draw them out of me. I had to think long and hard about them before I felt like I knew them well enough to write for them. So writing for them was tedious and draining.

So here's Siobhan. My fresh start. I didn't have to think about what kind of person she is, or what her story is. It's all here already, just waiting for me to put it to words. I don't think I created her. She already existed in my mind, just waiting for me to share her story. I guess that must be what writing is about -- relaying the life and times of a person who might have otherwise have never existed.

I might have been content to stay away from roleplaying altogether, if her story hadn't popped into my mind.

I've written her history from her perspective because it's a story that's personal to her, and using any voice other than her own to describe it seemed wrong. I found that pretty interesting.

And I'm really really really excited.

Well, right now I'm mostly really tired. But also excited.
Siobhan
Beware the frozen heart.

Words: 43437
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext