Flashback Waking Under the Black Flag

When he sobered up, sir, he was far away out on the sea.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Waking Under the Black Flag

Postby Stefan on January 19th, 2014, 1:30 am

16th of Spring, 510 AV.
7th Bell

One of the most unpleasant ways to wake up is with a hangover. Stefan knew it for experience, and now he remembered more than ever, for his head was pounding like a war drum. But between pounds, he barely remembered something that happened last night... Jaben, a murderer... the injuries that Stefan suffered in his hand, arm and leg... the running without a proper direction... all was evidently just nonsense.

He was still in his bed in Alvadas, hungover, but safe anyway. He just needed to get up from the bed, drink some water, take a Hangover tonic, and have breakfast with Jaben, then go back to work, as always. So he got out of bed, just to realize that he couldn’t. In fact, not only was he not in his bed, he wasn’t even in a horizontal position, and could barely move. Stefan was tied with a tick rope, with the full sun on his face.

Looking up, he could only see an infinite mass of greenish blue water, bathed in the sun, with no land in sight. The salty breeze hit him in the face, and when he tried to move, he could only shriek in pain, as his left arm and right thigh burned horribly.

He suddenly realized than this was not a dream. Everything that happened last night was real.

His scream alerted someone to his conscious state. “He woke up, he woke up!” The foreign voice shouted with a hammering voice. A few seconds later, Stefan was surrounded by at least a dozen of men and women, wearing sailor attire, – if there was any non-Svefra, he didn’t saw any – staring at him, as if waiting for him to do something. Stefan looked at them without saying anything, barely opening his eyes to shield them from the sun. He now realized how hungry and thirsty he was, but he didn’t dare to say anything, instead trying to figure out where he was. Indeed, he was in a ship on the high seas.

His waiting was awarded with strong steps on the wooden deck after some long minutes of silence. The men stood aside to let a woman through, who stared at Stefan inquisitively. Her blue sea eyes showed a Svefra, and her tricorne showed her position as captain. Her clothes distinguished her from the other sailors, establishing her authority. A Laviku amulet on her neck, leather jacket, boots and belt –adorned with a cutlass, of course –, cloth shirt and pants, along with a collection of rings in her face gave her a rather unique appearance.

“Well, look who’s awake” she said mockingly, while her crew only smiled along “It’s rather funny to walk by the deck one morning and find an human, covered in blood, lying around, you know. That’s really unexpected, especially on a port.”

“Where... where I am?” He replied weakly, exhausted, even after sleeping all night.

“On the Middle Suvan Sea, you idiot, and on the Laviku’s Pride, the deadliest brigantine to ever cross the Suvan, to be more specific, and if you don’t want me to cut off your precious tongue, you better answer instead of asking. “The Svefra continued to speak firmly. “First of all, I want you to tell me the reason of why you appeared on my deck this morning, and covered in blood. I’m sure that’s an interesting history.”

“I... I was attacked...” the words of Stefan came out like a pathetic whimper “I can only remember... alcohol... an old Benshira... a corpse... a knife... I can’t remember anything else...”

The Svefra captain shook her head in disapproval, only to speak again“You’re not good at telling histories, aren’t you? What if I tell you one? The one about the people like you that we throw overboard to feed the sharks. Right now, I don’t see any reason for not do it. You’re already bleeding, anyway.”

She was right. Stefan was bleeding, and these sailors didn’t have any reason to keep him alive. Stefan found himself between a sword and a hard place. Or in this case, between an unforgiving crew and the mast of a ship. His options were few.

The only thing that crossed his mind was to take refuge in audacity.

“Wait! Do you really think that’s the history? Oh no, the real story is much more interesting... but I can’t tell you the history right now... being mortally wounded affects creativity, you know.” He said with a weak voice, almost desperate, forcing a smile and trying to keep the good humour.

The captain, along with her crew, looked baffled for a moment, as if asking themselves if this was some kind of joke. But after a couple of minutes, the captain was laughing thunderously, with the rest of the sailors surrounding her following suit.

“By Laviku, you really have guts” she said, almost crying of laughter “But we kill outsiders that have guts. But you did make me laugh, so that’s something!”

After the laughing fit, the Svefra put two fingers in her mouth and whistled strongly, giving the order to a sailor to cut the ropes, making Stefan fall, face first, onto the wooden deck, in front of the captain’s boots, staining the deck with his blood.

“I’ll tell you what we’ll do, shall we? We are going to let you stay until you heal, and then I’ll listen to your history. If I don’t like it, we’ll use you as a sacrifice to Laviku, but if I like it... we’ll see, got it?”

The fall stunned Stefan, but he understood. He just nodded, and the captain smiled.

“Take him, and treat him well. It would be a shame to lose such a handsome body.” she replied before leaving. Immediately, two sailors picked Stefan by the arms like a ragdoll, making him clench his teeth in pain, as his wounds were still open.

Now, something that Stefan would never forget in his life, even as much as he tried, was the way his injuries were healed. The sailors brought him under the deck, and carried him all the way towards a wooden bed with a white blanket inside a quarter, filled with sharp metal utensils, where a man with solemn demeanour with a dark jacket waited for him. Wincing in pain, with his wounds bleeding, and being held by the strong sailors, Stefan couldn’t distinguish his race.

The process happened without the doctor anything at all. First, he poured a liquid inside a glass, and forced Stefan to drink it. Slowly but surely, after a couple of shots, Stefan calmed down. While the liquor anesthetized him, the sailors continued to hold him firmly against the bed while the doctor took of his clothes, and cleaned his wounds carefully with a wet rag.

After the doctor ordered the sailors to put a wooden block between the young man’s teeth, the easy part was over.

The young man saw as the doctor smeared a poultice on his wounds to stop the bleeding, making him scream, as the poultice burned his wounds like a hot iron rod. The sailors pinned him down, to keep him from struggling while the doctor smeared the burning substance, and then stitched the wound skilfully. As Stefan was forced to watch while his shoulder was sewed with catgut, he bitted down on the wooden block as he yelled. The entire process lasted at least one tortuous hour.

After five Chimes, the doctor retired the wooden block from Stefan’s mouth. The young man couldn’t feel his jaw, so it was easier to make him drink another shot to numb his body. After the young man stopped his squirming, the doctor put the block again in Stefan’s mouth, and the procedure was repeated with the injury in his thigh; applying the poultice and sewing the wound took a little more than a hour.

“He will live, the wounds will not become infected.” The doctor finally said to the sailors, who loosened their grip on Stefan, as his body was so exhausted to move anyway. “We don’t need to worry about his hand, it only needs some cleaning and a bandage and the sunburns are mild, but he needs some rest anyway. He will need it if he wants to be useful here.” And with these words, Stefan finally was allowed to faint again, only this time, he was sure this was not a dream at all.
Last edited by Stefan on March 31st, 2014, 4:51 am, edited 8 times in total.
Stefan
Player

Words: 185497
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2013, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Stefan on January 21st, 2014, 7:19 pm

13th Bell

Stefan’s sleep was interrupted by a slap on his face, waking him up immediately. When he suddenly lifted his head, he could see a Svefra boy, probably sixteen years old, with tanned skin, dark hair, and scar in the right side of his hardened face looking at him with his big, blue eyes, while the boat rocked around them.

The boy started to talk, using some sort of language that Stefan never heard before. It was quick, complicated, and honestly gave him a headache, almost like a tongue-twister.

Stefan rubbed his check in pain and looked at the boy, “I don’t know what the petch you are saying...”

“It’s Fratava, and I said that you need to leave this bed. You’re not the only one that needs it” he said bluntly, while throwing Stefan some simple white crop pants. “And for Lavikus’s sake, put some pants on.”

Stefan sat down on the hard wooden bed, noticing the intense pain in the bandaged wounds, including his right hand. Also noticing that he was only in his undergarments, Stefan took the pants and put them on as fast as his injuries allowed him to.

“Right, now get up and come with me” the boy said as he walked out of the cabin. Stefan got up, slowly and painfully, and stumbled behind the kid, not even noticing that he was barefoot. Just after he left, an Isura walked into the cabin, holding and injury in his head.

The walk inside the ship was awkward for Stefan, even giving missteps often. That was not the case of the kid, who walked quickly and naturally, like it was second nature to him, all while greeting various men and some women casually that walked around. All of them were Svefra; the blue eyes gave that away, as they were the mark of these different kind of humans.

“Here it is...” said the Svefra kid as he reached a couple of barrels, and pointing a chair besides a small table for Stefan to sit. From one of the barrels, the kid grabbed a loaf of bread, while taking a waterskin off his belt.

“Take, eat and drink something. I could hear your stomach grumbling from the other side of the ship.” He said looking at Stefan, with a face in which was hard to tell if he was joking or was being serious.

Stefan took the bread and the water as he sat down, and with the quickness of a man that didn’t ate in two days, he devoured the bread and drank the water with one big gulp. It felt amazing to finally be able to eat something.
The kid looked at him seriously, sitting in his own chair, and grabbing his own bread. “You really have guts, but...”

“Here you kill outsiders that have guts. I’ve been told that one before, lad...” he said with his mouth full, before swallowing his food.

“It's Laddie, and you not only have guts. You have a lot of guts, but no brain.” The broke the bread, giving one half to Stefan, and eating himself the other part. “Only a madman would say something like that co captain Marysol...”

“Marysol?” replied Stefan with curiosity. Finally, he was managing to know something... and any information could be useful to survive.

“Yes, Marysol. Sorry; Captain Marysol. She gets angry if you don’t refer to her as captain...” he said somewhat nervous, eating more moderately that the man in front of him. “Anyway...” he continued “Captain Marysol said that she wanted to hear your story... I don’t know if it’s interesting, but for your own sake, I hope it is.”

Stefan laughed for himself, but almost chocked on the bread he had just finished. “Kid, I’ll be many things... but on top of it, I’m a bard. My job is to make mundane tales interesting, and making interesting tales really interesting.” This time, Stefan was actually cheerful. He was healed, and now he had another chance to survive; he wasn’t completely helpless this time.

“Oh, a bard?” for the first time, Stefan could see a bright in the kid’s eyes, and also a smile “So... you have many histories to tell, right?”

“You can bet on it.” He said, smiling confidently.

The young kid and Stefan began to talk on a more animated way, while the sailors passed and ignored them. Stefan learned that the kids name was Laddie. It was sure an unusual name. Laddie told Stefan about the time his Pod was killed in a storm when he was younger, and being a lonely boy because he was not marked by Laviku, that didn’t wanted someone else that his original Pod, he was all by himself for a while. He could make a living as a fisherman in the Kalista Island, selling the fish to any travels that wanted to trade, paying him with what he needed to survive, and sometimes, with stories. That’s when he gained his name, for that was the way most of the travellers called him. Laddie surely had a real name, but he forgot it many years ago. It didn’t bother him, though, and even less when the captain Marysol recruited him, as he was always the youngest person on the ship.

“So, I guess that you’re a self made lad, Laddie...” Stefan said smiling at him. He indeed seemed like a good chap, and Stefan liked him.

“You could say so, but I own everything to the captain. That reminds me... if you manage to make her like your story... what will you do next? We are far away from our next destination, and I doubt that the captain would like to deviate...”

Stefan just shrugged. “I’ll work it out. I always do.” Stefan stood up hardly, still pained from his stitched injuries, and went to one of the barrels to take some more food, without even asking if he was allowed to. “Hey... what is this?”

Behind the barrel, Stefan found a musical instrument: an old, dusty mandolin. He grabbed it, and could see it closer: the wood was faded, but it could be seen that the colour of the mandolin used to be light brown with some yellow on the sides. One could tell by the smell that the salty air affected the wood. The strings were old and worn out, and the tuning pegs were somewhat rusted... yet, it was perfect for what Stefan had planned.

“Laddie, look at what I found!” Stefan said in an optimistic tone, sitting down again carefully.

“That’s odd... That thing is still here?” Laddie replied trying to remember, scratching his head. “I remember seeing it a year ago, if my memory doesn’t fail me... a Myrian bard that paid us to travel, and he always carried that thing around. Long story short, the rest of the crew, including me, couldn’t stand him, so he had... an accident, right? Let’s say that we didn’t have to make a sacrifice to Laviku that day.”

The young bard looked at him during some long second, prudently choosing not to inquire further. Instead, he told Laddie to observe. At first, he played a couple of notes, making the mandolin sound. The note was off-tune and even irritating. “It needs some tuning... fortunately, I know how to do it...” using his left hand, he twisted one of the tuning pegs until it finally gave in. “Perfect...” he smiled “With my injured hand it will be difficult to play... but I thing I can make something with some chords...”

Making the string sound with the pinkie of his right hand, and adjusting the pegs with his left, he could tune the mandolin by ear. He smiled when he heard that the instrument gave a nicer and melodic sound, but it was obvious that it required new strings.

“I think I’ve got a plan, Laddie...” he said smiling at him, who just nodded. “So, tell me... who is Laviku?”

“He’s the god of the seas, the one that the Svefra worship. In fact, nobody in this ship is allowed to disrespect him...”

“Good, in that case, tell me more. I think information will be useful...”
Last edited by Stefan on March 2nd, 2014, 4:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stefan
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Stefan on January 24th, 2014, 4:02 am

17th of Spring, 510 AV
5th Bell, 50th Chime

Among snoring and the sound of the waves crashing against the hull, Stefan slept deeply on a hammock inside the ship, along with the sailors that took their turns to sleep, carrying the mandolin on his chest. It was really a nice change from the wooden bed where he passed out the last morning.

Stefan could remember talking to Laddie for several hours, while he tuned up the old mandolin, thinking about the right melody. He was barely paying attention to Laddie, but he could hear some things that were actually important; like the meaning of Laviku. Laddie talked about him for at least two hours, and Stefan reached the conclusion that sailing with Laviku’s favour was mostly a deal, as he asked for sacrifices and offerings, and in turn, he will allow the ship to travel through his dominions without harm. For Stefan, it is a fair exchange.

The conversation continued with the bard telling his own histories to the kid; some of the ones he lived, others he remembered, and other he just made up. Stefan didn’t move from the wooden chairs in hours, and he wasn’t complaining. He needed rest, and he would have much time to see the sip if he managed to survive. Only when the night fell, the shifts of the sailors changed and Stefan decided to go to sleep.

The ship rocked slowly below Stefan, almost cooing him, as well as the hammock that swigged softly from side to side, along with the other members of the crew. Another thing Laddie told Stefan was about the one hundred and twenty members of the crew that were needed to sail, and that they had shifts for work, to sleep, and even to rest if the day was quiet. As Laddie said, captain Marysol had strict rules that the crew followed without a question; these rules helped them stay afloat, quite literally.

The steps of the sailors on the deck and the snoring along him didn’t disturbed Stefan’s sleep, and the crash of the waves was actually relaxing, but he certainly woke up when he fell from the hammock. Managing to keep quiet a scream of pain, he looked up, and saw the kid smiling at him.

“Stefan, we have things to do, get up!” even whispering, Stefan could hear enthusiasm in his voice.

“Laddie, first of all, don’t ever do that again, and second... that the petch is going on? What time it is?”

“It’s barely the sixth bell. The sun is coming up, you know what that means?” Laddie had an unusual bright in his eyes, even in the almost complete dark.

“That I should get some sleep?” Stefan rubbed his face, really annoyed.

“Killjoy. Just come with me and you’ll see.”

With that, he turned around and paced quickly, but silently, across the quarters. Again, Stefan could observe how the movement of the ship didn’t affect him at all.

The bard, on the other hand, left the mandolin on the hammock and followed the boy, even though he desired to get some sleep. The only things on him were the pants that Laddie gave him the other day, and the bandages across his body. He wondered what happened to his boots, because he made them himself some years ago, and was quite fond of them, but being barefoot made his steps more silent, so even when he moved clumsily, he didn’t woke up the rest of the crew.

Laddie climbed the stairs quickly, coming out to the deck, followed by Stefan, which did the same, albeit in a slowest and secure way, grunting from the pain on his arm and thigh.

The deck was almost as dark as the inside of the ship, and the breeze was cold as ice, making Stefan shiver. On the deck, there were various sailors working, cleaning, tying ropes and even some of them drank, while on the helm there was also a big man, with red beard and hair, an odd mark below the left ear, and a bow with a quiver full of arrows on his back, supervising the sailors. If Stefan memory wasn’t wrong, the looked like an Inarta. What he was doing on the ship was beyond him.

Even though a scream was heard from far away, “Hey, Stefan!” the sailors didn’t reacted at all, as if they were used to it. Looking through the edge, the young bard could see Laddie rowing a small boat tied firmly to the ship’s railing with a tick rope. He could see the sun coming out of the horizon as well.

“Hey, Stefan, come here!”

“By Nikali’s feet, what are you doing?”

“I’m going to fish, but I want you to come with me. Stop talking and come!”

Stefan looked at him, perplexed “It’s a joke, right?”

“Of course is not, you need to swim to come! Come on, the salt water will heal your wounds!”

Stefan frowned at him, deciding to return to the hammock to sleep, but before he could even turn around, a sailor pushed him overboard, directly to the water.

As soon as Stefan head popped out, he screamed at the top if his lungs “Shyke, its freezing!” while he splashed clumsily.

Stefan was almost drowning, so he swam as fast as he could towards Laddie’s rowboat, fifteen meters ahead. The salt water was stinging in his wounds, and the fact that he moved his arms and legs frantically didn’t helped at all.

After ten minutes of pathetic splashing, sinking once in a while, Stefan could climb towards the small rowboat, coughing, exhausted, and spitting salt water.

“By Laviku, you’re a really bad swimmer” Laddie said as Stefan coughed at breathed his prized air “Did you ever swam before?”

“Once, and it wasn’t swimming as much as getting shot by an arrow and falling on a river. It wasn’t pleasant.”

“You must learn to swim, Stefan. You’re in the sea, after all.” Laddie replied taking a simple fishing rod, along with a small worm to use as bait.

“Why did you drag me, anyway?” Stefan as shivering thanks to the freezing breeze.

“Well, I like to fish when the waters are quiet and the ship is anchoring, but I always do it alone... I supposed it would be better if I had someone to converse with.” The young kid threw the hook to the water, letting it sink. He also noticed that Stefan was shivering, so he gave him a dark bottle that was lying on the bottom of the boat. “Take, drink some: it will help you with the cold.”

Stefan took the bottle, uncorked it, and drank brought the bottle to his lips without saying a word. The liquid was strong and bitter, and he could feel it in his throat, making his gag slightly.

“Its rum, a liquor made using sugar cane, from Kenash. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it. The first time is always like that.” As if making a point, Laddie took the bottle for himself and took a swig, then went back to the fishing.

Stefan didn’t say anything, still feeling the rum in his throat and the salt in his wounds. Nonetheless, slowly but surely, he felt warmer, so he took another drink. He felt the same sensation in the back of his throat, but the cold disappeared slowly, and that was enough.

Now calmer, Stefan could take a good look Laviku’s Pride: it was a good brig, and from where he was, and with the faint sunlight, it looked like some colossal creature. The hull was made of fine wood, and reinforced with some iron, with two ballistae and two light bombards ready for action. However, the thing that Stefan noticed mostly, apart from the figurehead of a old man with a furious expression and hair and beard that looked like seaweed, was the flag what waved on the top of a mast: it consisted on white waves over a completely black background, with what looked like a drowning skeleton along the waves.

“Laddie, that flag means what I think...”

“Yes, it is a pirate flag.” Laddie replied casually, focused on his task. “Well, more or less. We are supposed to be merchants, and we do the typical merchant stuff... but if we find another ship full with things that we can sell... well, nobody said that we can’t take his stuff and sell it themselves. Is a good business”

Laddie noticed the fishing rod bending, so he began to pull, while Stefan observed, barely digesting the fact that he somehow got into a pirate ship. The kid just pulled out the fishing rod, and contemplated the small fish with a beautiful blue hue, bright colours he just caught. The kid smiled and threw it back to the water. “It wasn’t that big, but in any case I don’t mind that.” The kid took out another worm from a small jar and put it on the fishhook again, just to let it sink. “It’s funny... every Svefra kills any of the non-Svefra pirates on sight. Of course, captain Marysol doesn’t do that, she's more practical... the quartermaster is a Inarta, for example, and the medic is a human, though he doesn't actually fight. And here you are, but we have to see if you survive or don't."

“I noticed as much...” Stefan sighed and taking another sip of rum. He preferred the wine, but he couldn’t choose anyway. He gave the bottle back to Laddie, who took his own swig and focused on the fishing.

“Nervous?” Laddie replied as he managed to catch another small fish, and then threw it back at the sea again.

“A little, but don’t worry... I gave it some thought, and I think I know how to please her...” Stefan smiled confidently at Laddie, who in turn smiled back. “You know... I don’t remember having seen the sun that way before...”

Indeed, the sun just came out from the horizon. The rays of Syna bathed the deep blue of the water, reflecting it like a giant mirror, welcoming a new day, and for Stefan, another chance.

“Time to go back.” Laddie said, putting his fishing rod down. “But of course... You’ll have to get back swimming!” The young boy laughed loudly as he pushed Stefan overboard, to let him splash around towards the ship.
Last edited by Stefan on March 31st, 2014, 4:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
Stefan
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Stefan on January 31st, 2014, 7:03 pm

38th of Spring, 510AV.
11th Bell, 10th Chime

The sun washed the outer deck of the Laviku’s Pride, as the ship sailed slowly in the middle of the Middle Suvan Sea, with the sailors working tirelessly. On the helm, whatching them, was the captain Marysol along the Inarta, who turned out to be the quartermaster of the ship. She smiled in an expectant manner, as if watching a dog until it performs a trick. Meanwhile, the Inarta didn’t even give him a glimpse, as he was concentrated on the wheel.

Stefan, on the other hand, was in front of them on the back of the helm, holding the previously tuned mandolin, now with a leather belt as a strap to hold it into onto his neck. He didn’t wore any upper garments since a while now, but he suspected than that was about to change; Laddie was right, the salt water helped with his wounds, at least with the one on his hand, as it didn’t hurt as much as before. He was ready to play for his life.

“So, mate...” the captain said, looking at Stefan in the eye “Are you ready to tell me your history? I didn’t sleep in days thinking about it” the smile on her ring-filled face seemed to add an extra spice at the sarcasm dripping from her mouth.

“Oh, my dear...” Replied Stefan, with a smile of his own “You say you didn’t sleep, yet you look fresh and rested, like a majestic sea creature... and I can bet you moan like one...” the young bard said mockingly.

The captain shocked her head. “Clever, but now I want to heard who do you moan, is that clear? So let’s go, bard, sing. Or I’ll do with you what we did with the previous owner of that thing you got there.”

Stefan nodded, cleared his throat, and with a song melody of his old mandolin, he started to sing.

As I was going over the City of Alvadas
Without a Miza in my pocket and as hungry as one can be
I first stole an apple, then stole a purse
Running and hiding, until I was nowhere to be seen

Stefan paused and breathed, now playing simpler notes as he spoke. “I always fled, but when there was nowhere to run, I became a thief, just to survive. I could escape and remain free... most of the time.” Now, the song as more vigorous and fast-paced, going along with the lyrics.

I took the run once and twice and more times after that
With prison, beatings and the like
A scrap of food and a sip of wine
Don’t know if it was worthy, after all

Oh, but famous I got, alright
The terror of the Bizarre
An alleyway rat, the hand in the night
And of course, a musician sometimes!

“Of course, everything comes to an end... this time, it was good. I got caught again, this time, by a nice old man, a Benshira leatherworker... he offered me food, roof and no problems with the law, and I was happy for a while... but of course, everything comes to an end...” The song was now slower and sinister, now completely different from the other pieces.

Good Jaben, my master, thank you for everything
I’ll drink to your health, and then back to work
In fact, I did it once or twice
Until I found the blood on the floor

You surprised me; I hide, and then stabbed me
But Jaben, you will not take my life
Like you took that poor one there
And fight back I will!

Stefan paused a little bit, without making a sound. After a couple of seconds of the dramatic pause, he played again, now in a more cheerful manner.

Oh, Jaben, thanks for everything
But I must go now
You wounded me, and I killed you
Not fair, I know, but at the end I did win

I ran, far away, and never did I stop
Bloodied and almost dead, I fainted right here
So there’s my history, I hope you liked it
Now is up to you to discover if I lied or not!

Stefan finished the song, taking a deep breath, looking at his audience: some sailors that watched him a nodded from the deck, somewhat entertained – who where quickly back to work by order of the strong-voiced Inarta, of course – and the captain Marysol, that looked at him with her arms crossed.

“That was... interesting.” She said with an estrange tone, as if she was undecided if taking what Stefan said as a joke or not.

“I’m sure it was.” He replied, hiding his nervousness as best as he could. Now he did knew that he screwed up everything.

“Don’t expect applause, at least not from me, if that’s what you wanted.” She said quickly, on a blunt way. “But I have to admit, this story is interesting, at least a bit...”

The captain remained quiet, with her hand on the chin, caressing the rings on her face. She turned towards the quartermaster and spoke in that weird language that the Svefra used – Fratava, as Laddie, who was sleeping on the inner deck, told him – and he replied in the same way, but in a slowest, less fluid manner. That conversation continued for several minutes, both of them using many corporal gestures. Common sense dictated to Stefan that he shouldn’t interrupt them, but he couldn’t help it. Fortunately, just when he opened his mouth, captain Marysol spoke to him in Common.

“I’ve decided. The deal was that if I liked your story, I’ll let you go...” Stefan smiled at that, but a quick gaze from the captain erased that smile from his face. “However, I don’t think that you would survive if I gave you a rowboat and let you go, even though is the most appealing choice.” The sharp tone of the captain didn’t give any hope to the young bard. As if to make emphasis, she started pacing by the helm. “So I’ll tell you what we’ll do: You will live. That’s it, dead is not coming to you, at least not in this minute. But you got a price to pay... a debt, if you will.”

“A debt? Is that a joke?” Stefan was baffled, with a facial expression that could only be described as a poem.

“I’m just going to tell you something, just to be friendly: I recommend you to closer your mouth when I speak to you, or else I’ll cut off your lips and retire my offer. Now, where was I? Oh, yes. You got a debt with us, for it was thanks to us that you didn’t bleed to death on the deck or the ocean. Therefore, you have the option to stay with us and pay your debt. You seem to be the only person around that knows how to play music, and I saw that you entertained my crew, at least a bit. Morale is important, not to mention that a couple of extra hands can result really useful...”

The captain paused, as if to breathe.

“So, what do you say, mate? You got guts, but you have enough to join the Laviku’s Pride?”

Stefan remained silent, with the salty wind in the sea, mixed with the scent of the captain, hitting him in the face. It was an odd mix, and hard to describe; the typical, kind aroma of a woman, with a pinch of salt, all mixed with some drops of rum.

Stefan’s choices were few, but it was true that he didn’t have where to go... he didn’t have a home. He needed to take any chance he could.

“Tell me, I will pass hunger?” he asked, prudently.

“We have enough supplies for various months, mate.” The captain replied “You will only pass hunger if there is scarcity, and that is very unlikely to happen.”

“How much time I’ll have to spend here?”

“As much as I see convenient. After that, you can go wherever and whenever you please”

“Will I survive?”

“That’s up to you” the captain shrugged “Follow the rules, respect the others, learn how to defend yourself, and you will probably survive. Again, probably.”

Stefan gave it some though. “Oh, what the petch...” he sighed, but then smiled at the captain, with some enthusiasm “Captain, count me in, I’m your man!”

“That’s what I wanted to hear!” Marysol smiled too, giving her hand to Stefan “Your name, lad.”

“Stefan” he replied, shaking her hand vigorously “The Bard of Alvadas.” He made up that last part on the spot, but he thought it was a nice touch.

“Alright, Mister Stefan, welcome to the Laviku’s Pride! You’ll learn the rules with the time” the captain moved herself to the wheel, to steer the ship “Of course, we’ll let you heal completely, but after that, you’ll get to work, without excuses. I recommend you to learn who things work here in that time.” Stefan couldn’t see her face as she gave him her back, but he supposed she was smirking. “Mister Iman, please led Mister Stefan to the lower deck to get properly equipped. He’s one of us, after all.”

A big hand touched Stefan’s shoulder, fortunately not in his injured side. When he raised his head, he could see the Inarta, but instead of being serious, now he showed a friendly smile.

“Tell me, bard, have you been in Zeltiva before?” he said with a potent voice, that somehow fitted perfectly with his smile.

“Aye, I was born there, actually, but didn’t been there in quite a while...” they both walked through the deck, with the sailors saluting his new crewmember.

“Then good news, mate. That’s where we are going.”
Last edited by Stefan on March 6th, 2014, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Magpie on March 3rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

e
Stefan :
XP:
Observation +3
Acting +1
Rhetoric +2
Play Musical Instrument: Mandolin +2
Socialization +4
Swimming +1
Seduction +1
Singing +1
Storytelling +1
Interrogation +1

Lores:
Deflection Via Humor
Svefra: Marked by Their Blue Eyes
Laviku: God of the Seas
Laviku: Requires Sacrifices to Maintain Favor
Division of Work Among the Svefra
Rum - Sugar Cane Liqueur

Notes :
I gave you the extra Acting point for working through the pain to forstall your death for a story. I also gave you a Seduction point for that spicy little line about the captain moaning...

I have to admit, this thread was very much a pleasant surprise. Despite the lengths of the posts, you have a very natural writing style that's very easy to read. You had a great variety of skills here, though if you had divided the posts up into more, smaller ones, I would have been able to award more than a point each. Overall though, great job :)

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, please don't hesitate to PM me.
e
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)