Closed Creating Hope

It begins with a hymn to the sea and the city.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Creating Hope

Postby Sinoa on February 18th, 2014, 6:06 am

Sinoa

The new arrival lowered himself from a very great height so that he was more level with Sinoa before answering Sinoa's questions. The man was very tall like a tree so even when kneeling he was still much taller than the diminutive Pycon. The man presented his massive hand out in front of the pycon before introducing himself as Cassius and informing Sinoa that he was in fact not made of clay and he did not play any instrument. Sinoa didn't know what to do with the hand presented in front of him, so he extended his own arm out as a sign of respect but was surprised when Cassius grabbed hold of his small limb and shook it. Sinoa found this style of greeting to be odd but didn't have any objection too it.
"Nice to meet you Cassius, would you mind if I call you treetrunk?" said Sinoa as he looked up at the man with his three eyed mockery of a human face. "I'm not sure why but you just remind me of a big sturdy tree trunk, and your hands seem like they're covered in bark so it suits you" explained Sinoa cheerfully.

After finishing what she was saying to the sickly man, the Akvatari introduced herself as well. Her name was Gwin and seemed interested in a possible duet, which made Sinoa very happy. After a quick pause to think of flute songs and dances that would compliment Gwins playing, Sinoa responded back "oh yes! sorry..it is nice to have meet you Gwin!" Giggled Sinoa as he brought himself back to the present "I would love to collaborate with you some time. if you want I could give you a taste of my playing, although I’m warning you that I'm no where near as good as you." said Sinoa modestly before realizing he hadn't answered her other enquiry "oh! and I came here because I wanted to travel the world and experience as much as possible, In my two years of life I haven't experienced or learned as much as I would hope." The Pycon proclaimed matter of factly "what about you? why are you here Gwin?" Sinoa asked before speaking up yet again "oh! and do you know a Yomphis shes an Akvatari I know who plays and instrument like you?"

The sickly one was the last to introduce themselves and upon hearing his title Sinoa was very surprised and delighted by the length of this tall folks name. "Hello Samael Fitznemo Ahhfizzitioner, nice to meet you" said Sinoa with the same cheerful disposition he had given the other two acquaintances, completely unaware that physician was Samael's job title and not his name. "and you used to sing did you? well I'm sure you have a wonderful singing voice, why don't you sing a little song for us?" The Pycon proclaimed as he enthusiastically waved his small upper arms around in a circular motion.
OocI may not be able to post tomorrow but will make another one the Wednesday, I have a class that’s finishing up this week.
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Words: 62630
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 3:35 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Creating Hope

Postby Gwin on February 28th, 2014, 5:31 pm

The conversation grew in leaps and bounds, touching upon topics here and there like a bee wandering from flower to flower. Gwin wasn’t sure if she liked that, although she could follow easily enough. A piece of art or a song often developed the same way, bits of a melody here, a tact there, suddenly it was finished and the work done. However, she would’ve preferred a quiet talk about music or the fallacies of life. Porcelain would be easier. Indeed.

The Akvatari didn’t understand the unhealthy man’s words too, although she could pronounce it better... “Physiquer?” A journey. To Gwin, traveling was the air and water, her only way of life and absolutely necessary. The way Samael said it suggested dislike, although he didn’t elaborate and didn’t sound like he wanted to. Gwin was mildly irritated, although that didn’t translate into her expression.

As the clay person complimented her, a sad smile appeared. “Well… at some point, you’re as good or bad as the next person. Adjusting one’s rhythm to a partner is something that requires little skill. I’d be grateful for a taste of your music.” She looked the little thing up and down, trying to find its instrument.

Then another waterfall of words threatened to drown her – sheer irony, of course. “I have a desire to travel. Zeltiva seemed a place as good as any, perhaps better because it is both married to the sea and a place of art. That is a rare combination.” She blinked. In Abura, they’d never spoken of an Akvatari living in the city. “No, sadly I’ve never heard of that name… Where did you happen to meet her?”

Gwin had a feeling it’d be a bad idea to meet the other Akvatari. Surely she’d been formed by the city, the noise and people. On the other hand, she’d like to make music with another of her kin, trade melodies and knowledge. Such were her thoughts as she plucked the strings of her violin absentmindedly.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Creating Hope

Postby Sinoa on March 19th, 2014, 4:28 am

Sinoa

Gwen explained her reason for coming to Zeltiva, and it seemed like a compelling reason based on what Sinoa knew about Akvataris. Sinoa had never heared of the term "married" but assumed by her use of the word that it meant fusing together.
"hrm I never though of this city as being very unique, it seems very similar to where I grew up in"
Sinoa had the city of Alvadas which he visited last year to compare to, so any other city seemed bland to him. The pycon wanted to live in a city with buildings made entirely of stitched fabric or trees growing on the back of a flying turtle, only then would it be considered unique to Sinoa.
Gwen went on to say that she didn't know Yomphis but asked how he had met her.
"I met Yomphis at the world Ends Grotto, she was a performer like me" Sinoa proclaimed.

Sinoa was glad to hear that Gwin was interested in hearing his playing . He was well aware that his skill was not up to par but he was still excited to share his music none the less.
"just a moment" Sinoa said as he took the small bag off his back and rummaged through it to find the case that held his flute. Now was the tough part, thinking of a song that he could play. It would have to be impressive, not anything like the simple cheery melodies sinoa was used to creating. Inspiration was what Sinoa needed and he took it from the very person he was about to play for. The Elegance and sad distant gazes he had come to associate with the Akvatari, were what would fuel his composition. Removing the instrument from the crude looking case, the pycon immediately began playing.

The music that followed was sloppier and less refined than the Akvatari's playing but there was still some decent skill displayed. The song that Sinoa concocted was much more subdued than anything sinoa had ever played, if it weren't for the occasional flat notes and other mishaps the music could almost be considered relaxing. The Pycon entered a sort of meditative state and swayed like grass caught in a gentle summer breeze as he played. When Sinoa felt he was finished he stood still and patiently waited for feed back.

Music :

OocIs the grey/white combo easy to read or should I change it again?
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Creating Hope

Postby Gwin on March 22nd, 2014, 5:06 pm

OOCIt looks fine to me.

Gwin was a little sad to hear that the Pycon didn’t see the beauty Zeltiva offered. Although she’d seen a few cities in her life, none had been like the other. Abura was beyond comparison, of course, but out of the desert towns in Eyktol, each had also possessed its special charm. Yahebah was honest and straightforward like its inhabitants while Ahnatep appeared majestic at first glance, vain and proud at the second. “So where did you grow up?” she asked and hoped her curiosity didn’t disturb Sinoa.

World’s End Grotto… Gwin had never heard of that place, although it was no surprise, given how new she was to the city. Performer could also mean a great deal of things. This Yomphis sounded like an interesting person at any rate. Meeting fellow Akvatari far from home was a rare thing, no matter who they were or how they turned out to be. “Do you know where I can find her? I’d like to meet a fellow Akvatari in a foreign city… It’s unusual.”

A wave of melancholy hit her as she contemplated the nature of her race. Most were drifters, wanderers and nomads. Abura was a home that always awaited their return, but many chose to venture out into the world. Gwin liked to blame a deep-seated hunger for different art forms and styles that sprang from their desire to create.

She nodded, a vow to patience, as the little clay person produced a bag and took out a tiny flute. Then he raised it to his face and played. At first Gwin was watching his motions and how he handled the flute. Soon her eyes started to hurt from staring at tiny details though. So she closed them and focused on the sound.

It started with slow notes and a few subtle trills. Before she knew it, Gwin found herself leaning back and relaxing into the melody. To her, it was filled with longing for the distance as well as a deep peace. She didn’t know where it came from, although she didn’t mind it. The songs she knew didn’t carry any hope beyond the simple desire to never let the music die. Yet the experience Sinoa provided to her through the flute stuck to her and touched her in a strange way.

It also taught her they were similar for who could play a melody like that without feeling it in their own heart? When the song ended, she almost asked the Pycon to repeat it. “I don’t know much about the flute, although your technique seems a little rough… I appreciate the deep emotion you displayed and really felt it though. Thank you for that.” With that, she nodded as another sign of gratitude.

While listening, she hadn’t paid attention to the environment at all. It seemed like others had lost interest in a conversation. So Gwin raised her violin a little. “Shall I play another? Maybe you’d like to join after getting a feel for the rhythm.”
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Creating Hope

Postby Sinoa on March 26th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Sinoa

Continuing the conversation, The Akvatari asked where Sinoa had grown up. Sinoa had always been growing and changing so the question seemed odd to him, but he assumed she meant where he was born. Sinoa remebered very little about the actual city he grew up in as his actual home was more on the outskirts. It was the abandond well that seemed to hold the the most memories, even if they were few.
"I grew up in a dark cave near a large castle, I don't remeber much about it other than it was very wet and we had to climb a rope to get out"
Sinoa paused for a moment and remebered his parents and friends he had made during this time he wondered what they were up to at the moment.
"I spent most of my time with my mother and father..my father was the one that taught me to play the flute." Sinoa said in reflection
He intentionally left out information about his mother because he honestly didn't know much about her. She rarely spoke and seemed to always be out somewhere.

Gwin second question was about Yomphis, she wanted to know where to find her fellow Akvatari. Sinoa was happy to answer her question.
"oh, I haven't seen her that often but she can be found at the World Ends Grotto, she plays there from time to time."
Sinoa didn't really understand Gwins need to find another of her kind, pycons seldom sought each other out. Most pycons didn't even understand that the tall folk were even a seperate race, they were simply pycons that were very large.

After Sinoa finished his playing it seemed that Gwin appreciated the song he had played. Sinoa aggreed about her slight criticism, as his playing was fairly rough but the pycon was overjoyed to hear that she appreciated the mood he was trying to convey.
"you're welcome" Sinoa said happliy
"I'm glad you liked it."
Gwin prepared her instrument and asked if Sinoa would like to hear more of her playing. Sinoa didn't have to think very long about his answer and quickly gave her a resounding yes.

Oocthanks for the imput :)
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Creating Hope

Postby Gwin on March 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Akvatari song :

While the little Pycon explained, Gwin listened with interest and also noted how foreign his way of telling stories sounded to her. His perspective greatly differed from hers, focused on tangible things instead of names and sensations. A wet cave and a rope the only entrance. Then she nodded. So music was in Sinoa’s family too. It was a story Gwin had heard many times before and still appreciated with every new variation. Music provided a language that went above and beyond any spoken language in Mizahar. It connected families just as well as strangers.

The World’s End Grotto it was. Gwin nodded and thanked the Pycon, hoping to find and visit that location in the future. For now, she focused on the people, things and promises in front of her though. The future… a beast of shadow, distance with bared fangs, a threat she never wanted to face. Gwin knew better than to rouse it.

Instead she summoned the violin and lost herself in its never-ending melody. Another shard of it she collected from the bottom of her memories and impressions to share with Sinoa, the fellow musician. Without another word, she lifted the violin and brought the bow down on the strings. The fingers of her left hand were in place and started moving across the fingerboard lazily as the song unfolded.

True to her heritage, she’d chosen a song that the Akvatari had brought from Abura and spread over Mizahar before. Its theme was crystal-clear and sober, tripping into thoughtful and sad soon. Each and every note she played with care and attention so that it resonated sharply and clearly in the crisp air. Of course, a few notes turned out a little screechy. Sometimes she dragged out the rhythm to express the sadness better. All in all, however, Gwin became one with the voice of her violin singing of loss and loneliness. The message translated clearly and with a certain tremor that spoke of her honesty.

When she ended, strands of blond hair fell into her face. Overwhelmed with the emotion displayed through the song, Gwin didn’t feel like breaking the silence with words. Those could only be crude ghosts of thought and emotion anyway.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Creating Hope

Postby Sinoa on March 29th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Sinoa

Sinoa stood still and took the song in, letting it wash over him like the oceans tide. It was a song that clearly told a story of sadness and isolation perfectly but in a much more blatant way than her last song. While it didn’t show on Sinoa’s stationary face, the emotions conveyed in the song could be felt throughout Sinoa’s entire body. When Gwin’s music had begun to softly peter out, Sinoa felt as if a deep void was being drained from within. Sinoa had to fill this void with something and instead of speaking the Pycon began to play as a means of communication through musical notes instead of words. The Pycon started to mimic the song in the best way he could, it was a little off at parts but it was still clear what he was trying to do. The difficult part was capturing the feeling that the Akvatari’s song seemed to so easily evoke, as they were not feelings Sinoa was very familiar with. The notes progressively evolved into higher more cheerful ones, which was Sinoa’s subtle way of showing sympathy for Gwin. Being the eternal optimist that the Pycon was, he made it his goal to cheer as many people up as he could and give them hope for the future.

Sinoa finished his song and with a little effort was able to form a convincing smile to his face –which till this point was never quite believable. He stayed silent for a brief moment as well, which was another rarity for Sinoa as he was seldom content with silence of any kind. The music had clearly affected him in ways the pycon was unaware of but he was certainly enjoying himself. Sinoa still wanted to know about Gwins family and what they were like.

“I would like to know about your child hood if you wouldn’t mind sharing ..You can do so with song or with words.. or maybe both if you want.” Said Sinoa calmly
Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Creating Hope

Postby Gwin on March 30th, 2014, 5:30 pm

When the flute sent her first tone out into the air, Gwin looked up with surprise. At first it sounded like the melody she’d just shared, sad and lonely, but in time it changed into something else and incorporated aspects that differed from what the song was meant to be. Gwin was irritated, but the longer she listened, the more the new interpretation sank in and grew roots inside her. With music, she just had to listen and drink in its message. There was no other way than opening up to all the emotion.

The Pycon’s song ended on a note filled with hope, even encouragement, and was followed by a smile. As soon as the music faded though, Gwin fell back into her usual state of mind. Listening to and playing music provided the only way for her to slip out of it for a few moments. Sometimes she despised it, most of the time she simply couldn’t get enough of it.

The smile she returned was sad, although that didn’t mean hopeless. Still, it’d be hard to convey to someone who didn’t understand it naturally. Gwin wasn’t one to ponder and plan a strategy, instead she simply put her trust in the arts and means of expression she had practiced her entire life. “I grew up with my mother, although that isn’t unusual for our kin. She initiated me into the world of music.”

Then she’d lift the violin and add her voice to the story. Sinoa’s idea of talking through both words and music seemed intriguing. Gwin had never done such a thing before. Since Akvatari were proficient in so many forms of art, they tended to differ strictly between one and the other, she thought. Anyway, she wanted to try it out.

The song of her childhood began with a few low notes, hardly audible, before giving birth to a stronger melody. Due to her improvising, it sounded hazy and lacking at times, although it conveyed the mood and atmosphere of her home well enough. The sweet violin voice told of long days and crispy nights filled with sound, the flutter of wings in the air, voices and other instruments uniting in eternal practice, but also a variety of other noises. Everything in Abura hinted at creation, everyone’s eyes shone with a thirst for good art. In art they sought immortality, a means to forget that the origins of their race were lost to oblivion.

Suddenly the music halted and Gwin spoke up again. “I heard music everywhere. It was only natural to repeat it through instruments or write it down to share with others.” The melody rose and performed a spiral of excited, even ecstatic notes that expressed the feeling of creating music, experimenting with different moods, techniques and putting together a melody beat by beat.

Another break came soon. “Music is the essence of my life and my only goal. I want to play everything perfectly, to be able to express everything. For that reason, I travel Mizahar.” After a few last beats of ecstasy, the melody shrunk to a mere trickle, like footsteps, the steady and somewhat lonely feeling of a life on the road. That was the life Gwin led now, her reality, between meeting strangers and biding them farewell. Most stayed in their cities while Gwin only entered them to leave again.

Eventually she put down her violin gently. While shaking her arms and flexing her fingers, she tilted her head. “This is a curious way of expression… although you’re probably more skilled at it than I am. Would you tell me, through music and word, what you hope to achieve in life?” It was a bit of a challenge, of course, but Gwin also hoped to learn more about the clay person.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Creating Hope

Postby Sinoa on April 4th, 2014, 5:04 am

Sinoa

Sinoa was happy to see his smile returned from Gwin. While it was a sad Smile Sinoa didn't understand such subtleties and took it simply as a sign that she enjoyed his interpretation of her song. The pycon had put a lot of effort into the song as it was a bit above his skill level so it was nice to know his work accomplished its goal.

Conveying ones emotion through song, dance and art was not the least bit foreign to pycons who can't always rely on their face to tell how they're feeling, He could remember seeing Pycons playing music or dancing to each like a conversation through melody and movements. Sinoa wasn't sure if this was universal among pycons but it was definitely a common occurrence in his Pive.

Gwin had started telling her story and Sinoa once again listened intently as every note painted a picture in his nexus. What the Pycon constructed from Gwin's music was beautiful, Gwin had clearly grown up in a vibrant and creative environment. Sinoa pictured a fantastical place filled with colour where everyone was flying around turning everything they touched into something magical. Sinoa could feel the love she had for her mother and it felt warm. Although he also felt the sadness that was always there in the background, like a numbness that would never go away. Sinoa felt he knew her and where she grew up much better after hearing her communicate it through music.

When she was done her playing she asked him what he hoped to achieve in life. It wasn't too hard a question for Sinoa figure out at least at first. "I want to experience as much new things as possible" Sinoa shouted happily and he put his flute to his mouth. The song that followed depicted his time in the well, when he only had stories of what the world outside was like. The notes were soft but flowed nicely into one another like rippling waves of water. The pace got faster and slowly evolved into a completely different song.

The new song had strange notes that didn't seem to go well together. It was meant to convey the awkwardness that came when he went from a simple ball of clay to a more defined creature. The strange notes aligned and turned jovial to signify when he started playing music. The music stayed in a similar coarse until it became bolder but with a subtle hint of sadness to commemorate when he first left the well and snuck aboard a ship to a destination unknown.

Then the music became wild and high with a great deal of vibrato. Sinoa even started dancing a bit by waving his thick lower arms (legs) in stylistic slow movements which seemed to contradict the music played. When Sinoa entered Alvadas he was overwhelmed with stimuli and this place shaped him the most. With all the illusions and chaos that filled the city it was a paradise of sights and sounds that would be terrifying to most people with a spread of sanity. The song shifted again to one that was slow and ominous with the dance moves staying constant as Sinoa remembered all the many threats that faced him there. It wasn't even that long after he arrived that ghosts had attacked him and some new friends he met.

"I have to experience as much as I can, so that my last form can be a great one." Sinoa explained "Unlike you tall folk, our bodies don't fade and our spirits can't be put in another body or taken to the home of the gods...We just stay in the last form we were in so its very important that its one that represents who we are."
Sinoa had The other forms of death Explained to him by a nuit and it proved helpful in understanding the other people of the world,

Sinoa
Pint Sized Musician

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Creating Hope

Postby Gwin on April 8th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Sinoa’s answer hit Gwin harder than expected. The joy washed over her, but it didn’t enter into her heart. Instead she realized they were quite similar, yet expressed it through very different, even opposite ways. As the Pycon took up the music again, the contrast became even clearer. He was filled with joy and curiosity about everything and anything he experienced on his journey. Gwin, on the other hand, saw everything through a veil of sadness that came with her nature. It was simply her way of reacting to outside forces.

Yet she could appreciate things like a beautiful painting or magnificent melody. The Pycon truly knew how to breathe life into a story through music. It was a pity he couldn’t sing the words to his own instrument. As he started waving the other arms though, another layer was added to the performance. Surprise tingled all over Gwin’s body during the wild and colorful last part.

Then he ended the song and explained with a few words. Still, Gwin found it difficult to grasp what he tried to say. Her brow furrowed in confusion. “So that means you can change your appearance… mold yourself like people mold ordinary pieces of clay into statues? And you gather inspiration so you can make your appearance as great as possible?” The words felt strange in her mouth.

Nevertheless, the artist in her sensed another similarity. “I’m always looking for inspiration too.” Different, yet the same. In the end, some people found companions, but full identification would never happen. In the end, everyone was walking their path alone.
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

PreviousNext