Closed What could I possibly teach you girl? (Annalisa)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

What could I possibly teach you girl? (Annalisa)

Postby Evalin on March 24th, 2014, 1:45 am

11th of Winter, 511 AV

The class seemed restless this day, absently scratching notes, or doodling, while looking longingly past the nuit to the door and the outside air beyond. Evalin could almost smile, but she resisted as she walked to and fro across the stage of her classroom. This was her domain, the children her subjects, and as subjects are to their queen these students were her's to command, and do with as she pleased.

"I have asked all of you to think upon what magic is, and what it means to you. I need not remind you all of the very basics, that for every person there is a different view of the picture, of the same event. As such each and every one of you holds a different opinion of what magic truly is." Evalin paused a moment, stroking the pendant at her neck as she looked over the gathered students with her faintly shimmering eyes of red, "Magic can be a force of creation, or a force of destruction. Magic at its base nature is not evil, nor is it good. Magic simply is. It simply exists, just as words are nothing more than sounds unless we ourselves give them meaning. In this lecture series we will then begin to explore what meanings there are to be found in various disciplines of magic known to us now. However, because the University deems it far too dangerous, there shall not be any active demonstrations."

The nuit could not help the slight downturn of her lips and the roll of her eyes as she said, "As such we shall have to keep our discussions to pure speculation..." She smiled slowly as she leaned on her staff, one hand idly waving about as she continued, "What you learn and take away from this class shall vary I am sure. Some of you will come to hate and despise magic and all that it represents." From beneath her robes res as clear and heatwaves flowed out, collecting at the hems of her robes and slowly rising around her, distorting the air as it moved and shimmered, "Some of you will see it as a tool to use for the good of your people, of your society, of your establishment." the res she gathered around her into one long, cylindrical tube, wrapping around her shoulders, circling her staff and rising to rest over her outstretched left hand, "But it is my hope, that for a select few, I will be able to inspire something more. It is my hope here that within this class magic will become not something to be hated or feared, but something to be coveted, to be envied... to be respected." She hissed under her breath, and the res ignited into flames, crackling in one long serpentine figure as the ends of the tube shaped itself into an elongated head with jaws opening wide, fiery fangs elongating as the twin headed serpent hissed sparks at the students, "Perhaps even alight the imaginations of those brave enough to ask the right questions."

The fiery snakes hissed and twined around the nuits body for a moment more before the whole creation evaporated into air, and with a wave of her hand Evalin dismissed her students, "Begone. Think on what you have learned, and return next class to discuss as we always do. Do not forget your first exam shall be in a fortnight. I suggest you begin your preparations."

With that Evalin turned to her podium, collecting papers and notes and placing them in a folder as she herself prepared to leave.

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on March 24th, 2014, 5:44 am

Anna was not exactly what instructors would refer to as the model student, not in most ways at the very least. There was no denying her brilliance, her ability to latch onto concepts more complex than most students at the College of Djed could understand was impressive. Then again she had been at the subject of magical theory for a few years, and though she had not quite shaken her lovely Zeltivan accent it was clear her potential was not to be balked at. No, it was not the marks of her assignments, nor her exams that frustrated her instructors and professors. It was that she rarely paid attention to them as they spoke, simply staring up at the ceiling as she did with her feet on the desk.

It was as though, she pondered idly as her newest instructor went on about the nature of magic itself, her instructors thought she lacked functional ears. Just because she wasn’t scribbling down notes with the others in this class they seemed to think she was some burn out, hardly the case considering her high marks. She was at the point in her education were she had started to get more than a little arrogant at her understanding of advanced arcane concepts, that she put very little effort into her classes and yet demonstrated understanding nonetheless.

Anna smirked at the slight change in her instructors tone, knowing full well that kind of frustration as she stared up at the ceiling. Her time had been spent endlessly on theory course after theory course with Glyphing thrown in a smattering. It was more than frustrating to her the amount of restrictions the University was putting on her, always citing care and patience like she was some kind of petching child. If her instructors wanted interest and attentiveness from her like she had displayed when first she had walked these hall, then they could at least move her on to actually learning some petching magic beyond mere Glyphing.

The dark haired woman did give her full and undivided attention when her instructor actually did something Anna had heard of in a previous course, but never actually witnessed. She started bleeding a strange and alien substance from her body, the exact name of it escaping the student but her grey eyes watched with a slight widening. Perhaps she had written off her new instructor, Evalin she thought the name was, a little too soon as being a dry and boring individual. A slow smile came to her face were others around her looked a little frightened by the display of power, power Anna was now able to label to Reimancy.

A slight bit of disappointment crossed her mind when the fire serpents were dismissed and the class soon after, though the student was not about to be put off that easily. The odd and rather dead looking instructor had said to ask the right questions; well now Anna had several for her where at first she had written her off. The tall woman stood from her seat briskly and quickly moved to intercept the Nuit, ignoring those that were making a bee line out of the room.

“Well tha’ was… different. Not sure stogy old Stonemiller would be pleased someone did tha’, neva’ seen live magic in a class before so blatantly, instructor. Reimancy, right? Elemental manipulation, read about it in one of me previous magic theory courses. Neva’ actually seen it mind ya, and I’m babblin’.” Anna said, her words coming out in a rush and her Zeltivan accent managing to slip out oh so very obviously.

“Right, getting’ ta the point. I read it manipulates the elements, but how does it work? What was tha’ substance ya released? How do ya learn it?” Anna inquired, the questions coming out in a flood.

Though she had normally appeared rather bored this instructor had found the one surefire way to actually gain her attention, real magic being used instead of just being talked about. Others might have seen danger but Anna saw actual promise, new knowledge that was actually worth knowing. She had been in a few other classes like this one, where disciplines of magic were discussed and talked about in brief, but none that had actually demonstrated it or explained why something did something and how one learned to do it themselves. A spark had ignited behind those grey eyes, flashing brightly and brilliantly.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Evalin on March 27th, 2014, 1:01 am

As Anna approached Evalin could already feel her patience beginning to wane, and when she began to speak it faded all the quicker.

Surely it must be connected. Two far too curious minds coming to speak and question things which I have not the time to bother with. What must they be thinking, approaching I, the Immortal Witch Evalin, and acting with such disrespect?

Perhaps they know not my Master's pedigree... The Familiar's cold voice came from the pendent that hung from her neck, which Evalin absently brushed with her fingers as his words echoed in his mind, You have taken on the guise of one who teaches. Is it not customary that you should also answer questions?

But must it be constant? I care not for their questions. They should learn as I have, through effort and struggle over centuries.

The nuit did not move any quicker despite the urgency at which the questions flowed. She patiently packed her back, hung it over one shoulder, and gripped her staff with both hands, leaning on it as she looked up at Anna with one eyebrow raised, "By what right do you come to me now to bombard me with questions of a nature I care not to speak? Know you nothing child? When knowledge you seek best to conceal your eagerness for it makes you appear weak and childish. Do not begin interrogations before the conversation has even been sanctioned by she who holds the knowledge." She paused looking the tall student up and down. Evalin's red eyes glimmered slightly with hunger, but the urge was forced down as she continued softer, "It was reimancy, but care I not if you knew the art or not. Do not insult a master with your pathetic questions until you know at least the basics. Do not waste my time girl."

With that Evalin turned, taking slow steps toward the door, adjusting the bag on her shoulder as she did.

Harsh words... perhaps undeserved...?

Evalin almost sneered, Doubt I that she will be deterred so easily, and if she is she is either too timid or too prideful to be of any interest to me.

ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on April 10th, 2014, 1:51 am

The young human woman didn’t wince or look deterred by the tongue lashing Evalin leveled at her, if anything it seemed only to prompt her to continue her inquiries. Anna was far too used to harsh words or annoyed glances to be tossed aside that easily, she had seen her chance here and she wasn’t about to let it slip through her fingers. The tall woman merely took the insults and the harshness, her grey eyes static and staring ahead at the undead woman. Master the other woman might be in this situation but Anna was nothing if not dogged in her pursuit of knowledge.

Evalin started away and Anna was quick to follow, moving an arm over the doorway and leaning against it with a smirk on her lips. She needed to speak quickly; clearly this creature was not one to mince words despite her long winded retort so some thinking on her feet would be necessary. Anna opted to adjust her pursuit away from her initial attack and instead opted to play upon the other woman’s overinflated opinion of herself; gods only knew that she needed every edge she could get in this little battle here. Her pride was unimportant compared to the knowledge that could be gained here.

“Fancy way o’ sayin’ ‘petch off’ I suppose? Impressive, can’t say I’m tha best at stringing that stuff together.” She commented.

“Anyway, yer right, I’m sorry. May tha humble student Annalisa Marin have tha pleasure of partakin’ in shared words with Instructor Evalin?” The tall woman inquired, the words leaving a bad taste in her mouth but were spoken anyway.

The dark haired woman was thinking as quickly as she could and laying pride aside in favor for potential gain, if that meant having to show some form of difference to the other woman then she would do so. Anna was irritated enough at the system of the University as it was a however so she was more than willing to seize outside assistance in matters of the arcane. She thought she had heard similar annoyance in this woman so the young woman was hoping to use that to her advantage, thinking on her feet as it were.

Grey eyes didn’t back down though despite the words, staring directly into Evalin with dangerous curiosity flickering within them. Anna wanted to know how to summon those snakes, how to create something through her very spirit. She was a Glypher but other than that the dark haired young woman was not much of a wizard. She knew her Glyphs and her magic theory so if need by the tall woman could use both to attempt to impressed upon the undead here. A hunger had been awakened in her by the sight of that power, a craving, a thirst that could not be slacked.

OOCApologies for the late reply and shortness. :p
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3