Solo [The Velvet Curtain] Serenades of Velvet

Time to try these new strings...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Velvet Curtain] Serenades of Velvet

Postby Stefan on February 20th, 2014, 8:39 pm

46th of Winter, 513 AV
11th Bell

With a blank book on the table along a glass of wine, and the mandolin strapped to his chest, Stefan, who was sitting on a table at the Velvet Curtain, let his inspiration go by as he tried to write down the lyrics for a song.

He was smiling, though. After getting lost the other day, he ended up on the Zhongjie Warren, Rivefall’s Bazaar. Heck, he didn’t even Rivefall had a bazaar! And in fact, it was truly impressive. Everything that wasn’t on other places could be found here, as it was always the case, but it had a terrible downside: Stefan’s fingers were itching.

He could remember his time in Alvadas, where he often stole what he needed from the Bizarre. It surely got him a lot of problems, but old habits die hard, after all... he had to contain himself, but it was, indeed, hard. It reached a boiling point when, by any chance, Stefan managed to find a set of strings in one of the shops. They were thin, made of copper, and Stefan knew them well: mandolin strings. Like a children grabbing candy without permission, he took them, rather indiscreetly, only to be snapped by an Akalak clearing his throat. “Damn, I’m out of practice...” Stefan thought to himself, rather sad.

Fortunately, he managed to convince the Akalak that he was actually buying them. The price was of 3 golden mizas, but Stefan knew better. He also added a blank book, perfect to write songs, which had a cost of 3 golden mizas as well. Stefan quickly got into the spirit of a bazaar and started to haggle.

His father has taught him how to do it before, but it has been a while, so he did what he remembered. He would be happy if he managed to get out with both items with for only 5 gold mizas. He started by saying that he preferred catgut strings, since he observed that the Akalak didn’t had none. Stefan feigned resignation, and agreed to buy the copper ones, but with at a lower price, since he made believe that it wasn’t was he was looking for. The Akalak on the other hand was insistent, and only seemed to lower the price because Stefan was trying to haggle, so he humoured him.

In the end, he ended up only spending 5GM for both the book and the copper strings, and after putting them both in his pocket, he exited the bazaar. Stefan was happy to get the good deal, but on the other hand, he believed that he could have gained something better... but that just optimism on his part.

He got to the Velvet Curtain as quick as he could, only that he got lost again, so he finally ended up in the brothel after roughly one hour and a half. He sat down one of the tables. Fortunately, it was still early in the day, so there weren’t any customers and he could sit down in peace.

Once he sat down, Stefan took out the old strings of the mandolin. Holding them in his hand, he smiled fondly. They were made of catgut, but the salt and the time hadn’t been kind to it. Stefan thought that he was going to miss them. After he stringed them, tuned the mandolin, and plaid a small chord, he proved himself wrong. He shivered, with an electric feel crawling through his spine. Finally, after all these years, his mandolin; his old, brackish mandolin, made a nice sound. It was simply beautiful. He played another chord and shivered again.

“Perfect... just perfect...” he said to himself.

He played some other chords, and quickly took the blank book. He borrowed a quill from the Curtain’s account book, and began to write as he made the strings sound.

Truly, Stefan didn’t knew how to write musical sheets very well, only knowing –barely –how to read them, so he just wrote the lyrics instead.

He accompanied the deal with a nice glass of wine, which he drank cheerfully as he wrote something down. One part of the lyric there, a correction then, a small spot of ink on a corner, but that was just part of the creative process.

“Now that’s what I was asking for... I got wine, got song, and now I only need...” Stefan’s smile widened when someone else came “Kiki! My dear gal, I’m so glad to see ya!”

“Stef, fancy seeing you here so early” she got closer to him; each one giving the other a kind kiss on the cheek. “What are you doing? Looks interesting”

“My dear, I’m doing what is called a creative process...” he paused for a moment, and then smiled at her. He hated to admit it, but she wasn’t very bright. “I’m writing a song, lass. It’s... a celebration of some sort, because I got these new strings.”

“Oh, that’s fantastic!” she said cheerfully. She took a sip of Stefan’s wine, as he didn’t mind, and looked at him in the eye. “Stef, could you... uhmm...” she stammered, blushing slightly “...This is embarrassing. Could you write a song for me, maybe? Any day is fine...”

Stefan snickered softly, and was about to tell her than that was silly. He was in the middle of something, and couldn’t simply change it... but then she looked her in the eye and then looked at his new book.

“Lass... you know me well enough. For you; anything.”

Stefan could hear Kiki squeal like a child, but he just laughed and took a sip of the glass and then wrote again on the small book.

It was usually difficult, as writing a song could be, but he got his muse right here. It was always easier with a muse. So when he got the quill, he started to write something down on the book with the black ink. The eyes of Stefan switched from time to time to the book and Kiki, who was getting impatient.

“You know, I think it’s done...” he smiled taking his mandolin. Truth be told, he only wrote a few lyrics... but he could made up the rest. He picked up the mandolin and started to play a soft song, like a serenade.

“Oh my dear, my beautiful gal, why do you treat me like this?
I don’t know in what I failed, I leaved some time and just skipped a beat
Blonde hair, fair skin, these are always in my mind
Could it be, could it be, could this be the proper time?

Don’t sell my love for money, please, don’t forget my touch
I beg you, please be mine, I only ask you as much

You’ll be always in my mind; you’ll be always in my heart
So even after I leave again, you’ll be always my dear
I shall return soon, please believe me as it is true
When I do, I promise you, my arms will be open to you

Don’t sell my love for money, please, don’t forget my touch
I beg you, please be mine, I only ask you as much”

Stefan’s song ended with a soft chord, and then it stopped. The mandolin still did a beautiful sound, and he knew it, but also noticed something else on her friend.

“Kasandra, this can’t be possible... are you blushing?” Stefan watched her in amusement.

“Maybe...” she replied and giggled, still somewhat embarrassed “Women like songs, you know...”

“I’m noticing, lass...” he drank some of the wine, and then caressing Kiki’s chin affectionately “women like romance... a nice glass of wine, a beautiful song...” he snickered at her.

“There is more than that, Stefan... but you seem to know the basics” Kiki said, still blushing slightly.

Stefan nodded and smiled. “Tell me... do you want me to play again?”

“Oh, yes, please!” Kiki spoke in her usual bubbly tone.
Last edited by Stefan on March 4th, 2014, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan
Player

Words: 185497
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2013, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Stefan on March 2nd, 2014, 2:12 pm

It was time to work, though Stefan only called that and nothing more, as he believed that if you love what you do, it isn’t work. Stefan spent most of the afternoon writing up on the new book, letting his inspiration get the best of him, all with the company of the lovely Kiki.

It was true what she said: women loved songs, especially serenades dedicated to them. Kiki helped with it, however, as it was easier to write a song about beautiful women with a beautiful inspiration.

It was just game of flirting between the two of them. Eye contact was essential, not to mention speaking kindly and confidently. The occasional wink could also work, of course, and the conversation was essential –in this case, it was of music and romance. If it was out of context, anybody could argue that he wanted to take Kiki to his bed. That wouldn’t be a complete lie, in fact.

But of course, one of the most important aspects was making the other feel like the most important person in the world; to make them know, or at least believe, that nothing else matters.

“Is that so?” truly, Kiki caught Stefan’s interest. Frankly, he liked to think himself as a master of seduction, but that was far away from the truth. He could use any help he could get.

“That’s right, Stef. It’s a simple fact, but essential at that. When you’re with someone, you must make him feel that nothing else exists. He or she must feel important, like nobody else. The songs you write can help with that, as one truly feels special when they had something so nice dedicated to them...”

“I figured as much, my dear...” Stefan smiled as he continued to tune his mandolin. He knew that Kiki was right, and it came to no surprise. She was a prostitute, and she must know about these things. Seduction, flirting, that was part of the business. Stefan did that just for pleasure, though, but he respected prostitutes, even more than he respected authority figures. It was odd, but they deserved it.

The conversation and the songs came to an end when the evening arrived to the city. It was time for business for both of them. Kiki did a good job as a hostess, and he admired her for it; from her facial expression to her body language was really appealing. But he could understand her dream of paying her debts to never have to prostitute herself again. He had his own plans, though, but they also seemed really far away.

Stefan went back to his spot behind the stage, smiling at his mandolin. It looked really pretty with his new string, even though the wood was creaking, and it looked like the instrument would turn into dust at any moment. But still, it did hold great sentimental value to him... and that’s why he had to treat it like a lover, as weird as that might sound. He had to hold her gently, touch her tenderly yet firmly, use his fingers with passion and appreciate what it gave to him. That mandolin accompanied him since many years ago, after all, and was actually glad that the poor sod didn’t carry it when they threw him at Laviku’s Laundry Room. Finder’s keepers, as it was called.

And now, the principal event; on stage there was an attractive Benshira, wearing an almost transparent apparel that didn’t leave much to the imagination, with a veil over her face. Her tanned skin reflected perfectly the inner light of the premises, and the gazes of the patrons looking at her while grabbed the pole. Stefan, meanwhile, was ready to use his new string. While he was not supposed to sing, it helped him to get the tune, so he sang the song under his breath while he played the soft, sensual song. For some reason, he imagined Madame re Bashina singing it, which brought a smile to his face.

Gather Lads, gather near,
Welcome to our Rose
Come on in from the cold,
And let us take your clothes (Off!)

The gal gave the cheering patrons a belly dance, all while moving her hips and her arms in an exotic manner, with the veils around her body making hypnotic movements. Stefan knew what song is what he was supposed to play, so he adapted the lyrics to the tune that came out of the mandolin. The notes were as beautiful as ever, but not as beautiful as the dancer on the stage. Sometimes, Stefan was glad to be a musician in these places, mostly because the sight was wondrous.

We've got a girl for every man,
A wine for every taste,
Meet them here and tack your pick,
There's no need to be chaste

And the song did end, with the Benshira dancer giving the patrons a generous view of her cleavage while she bowed and exited the stage. The next one was an Eypharian. One of the races Stefan liked the most: hedonistic, easygoing, and knew how to live. This gal was dressed with bright yet thin strings on velvet that barely covered her breasts and pubic area. Some strings connected her six arms by her wrists, and her hair was fixed in an intricate design. An exotic design for an exotic race; it was really fitting, not to mention unbelievably attractive.

Her movements were as sensual as her body, of course. Her arms moving in a complicated, well-coordinated pattern, with her legs moving her through the stage slowly but sensually. As the song started to get more upbeat, the Eypharian gal grabbed the pole and started to move herself with her arms. It came to no surprise the fact that she was so skilled in it. As the chords of the mandolin played, Stefan could imagine himself singing and playing the serenade, just to get lucky, or at least receive a flower after being drenched with a cold water bucket. It did happen to him before, and even though it was unpleasant, it usually came with a happy ending.

We've got a beauty for everything,
From her lips to her hips
She'll do with you what you ask,
Just don't forget the tip

Stefan could almost hear the golden mizas being deposited on the tip boxes in front of the seats. Oh, the sound clinking of coin; a sound that Stefan really liked, like a pleasure moan, the crash of the waves against a hull, the sound of the wine being poured and now, the sound of his mandolin, now renewed and sweeter than ever.

OOCCredit to Ainyi for the amazing song. Thanks, lass!
Stefan
Player

Words: 185497
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2013, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on March 24th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Thread Award

Stefan

Skills
Composition +2
Larceny +1
Negotiation +1
Play Musical Instrument: Mandolin +4
Seduction +3

Lores
Negotiation: Comparison
Composition: Basic Song Lyrics
Seduction: Eye Contact
Seduction: Paying Attention

Notes

Nicely done! Please edit or delete your post in the grade request thread to reflect completion and, as ever, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)