Completed [Undeniable Interests] The Truth Comes Out

The Truth Comes Out and Shane Buys A New Book

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Undeniable Interests] The Truth Comes Out

Postby Shane Wallsly on February 4th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Timestamp: 11th of Winter 513 AV

His back ached and his eyes were blind in the total darkness. With no fire to cast it's residual light over the room Shane was in complete darkness. All that he could see was what he could feel. He was laying on metal bars. The cage. He'd fell asleep in the cage with his new dog, Norman. Norman the Shadow Dog. Yes, he could feel the black beast's frame heave against him. Deep breaths. Norman was still sleeping.

Through careful recollection he attempted to manoeuvre his way out of the cage noiselessly. Bang! “Youch!” he cried as his fore head stuck the cusp of the opened frontend of the cage. The sudden, sharp pain brought a prick to his eyes. The dog's breathing seemed to stop for a moment. It's muscles went taut and then... A very wet, very cold object touched Shane's face and then said object sniffed.

“Morning, Norman.” Shane said with a smile of amusement petting the canine who's sheer blackness outlined him unnaturally in the dark. The dog blinked the tiredness out of it's eyes. Those big red eyes that shone like a beacon in the darkness. “I almost forgot you could see in the dark. What a power...” Shane told himself and the dog. For some reason it felt entirely natural for him to be having a conversation with a dog.

He slid himself out of the cage and stretched wide. “Aaaah! Pwooh!” He grunted and groaned as he stretched out his aching body. “I can't imagine how you managed all those days inside a cage. I'm sore all over.” He told the dog as he began to blindly fumble for the door. Peeking out he looked both ways along the corridor. Clear. He slid out of the room and crept up to one of the torch brackets that kept the hallway lit at all times. He snatched up the torch and crept back into his room. He carefully laid the torch down into his fireplace until he saw the tell-tale starting of a fire before he sneaked out to the corridor to replace the torch. Once returned to his now moderately lit room he breathed a sigh of relief. He'd never been caught pinching fire from the Knights before and, if he could manage it, he hoped he never would. Even the lowliest of rules and regulations were upheld strictly by those authoritarian punks.

“I wonder what time it is...” Shane asked himself as he went about combing his hair and straightening out his clothes so as to at least try and look presentable. “Want to go for a walk, Norman? I'll buy you something tasty.”

The dog gave him a puzzled look. “Come here.” Shane said picking up the collar he had got from Aggard and walking toward the doge bending down over him. Norman didn't seem to mind letting Shane put on his collar.

“Alright, let's go.” Shane told the dog. He checked himself over once more before opening the door. A black blur shot out of it, turned and disappeared down the corridor. Shane jumped, looked left and right down the corridor before chasing off after the blur. “Norman! Come back!”

Credit to Skerry
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on April 1st, 2014, 4:02 am

The first word out of Avira's mouth that morning was “You're late.” and it was followed by “If you're going to be late every time I give you a day off I'll stop giving you them.” Avira seemed to be in a surly mood today. He was writing in a little leather bound book that Shane recognised as his ledger. The little book that Avira recorded the finances f his shop in. How much he spent, how much he gained etc etc.

Shane had started noticing a pattern between how grmpy Avira was on any particular day and whether or not he had been writing in his ledger that day. It made Shane wonder if business was not as good as Avira often made it out to be. Quite frankly Shane saw very little business pass through here at all but what he did see was usually quite a large sale and Avira was often going out to meet customers for big sales too.

“I'm sorry, Sir...” Shane said looking down at his feet trying his best to imitate disappointment in himself. “My dog got out this morning. Rampaging through the corridors, Sir.”

“A dog, Wallsly?” Avira paused writing and looked up at him. “You never mentioned a dog before.”

“Just got him, Sir. On my day off I mean.” Shane replied as he took off his coat and hung it upon the coat rack near the door. “Rare breed as I'm lead to believe. A Bozderon Shadow Dog.”

Avira's eyes lit up at the mention of the breed. “Indeed, very rare. Extraordinary abilities I'm told.” Avira responded with almost concealed interest. Shane concealed a small smile. Rarities, oddities, unusual things and the like made up the heart of the old shopkeeper. “Is it true they are near invisible in the dark?”

“Certainly, Sir.” Shane said with a little more confidence shedding his skin of disappointment like tight-fitting snake skin. Avira was kind of like an egg. “He can see in the dark too.”

“The dark, aay?” Avira asked coylyl trying not to seem quite so interested. “Well anyone who eats their carrots can do that.” A shell of grumpiness.

“But, Sir, he can see in complete darkness...” Shane tried to remember exactly what Aggard had said about his special eyes. “Infravision, Sir.”

“Oh yeah?” Avira put his quill down. “That's quite an ability. Could tell the snakes from the rabbits with that one.” With an egg white of rarities and the unusual.

“Certainly...” Shane replied pretending to know exactly what Avira meant by that. “He wasn't cheap, Sir, I can tell you that.”

“Oh, really now?” Avira leant forward completely abandoning his little black book. “How much?” And a yolk of pure gold.

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on April 1st, 2014, 4:02 am

Sometimes Shane wished he had a friend. Today was one of those days. The thought teetered on the fringes of his mnd as he dusted one aisle. It popped into his mind as he fetched different items for Avira to show customers. It rolled around his head as he swept to and fro. It picked and poked at him as he excused himself out to walk Norman during his lunch break. It nagged at him especially in those little hours where he didn't have to do anything.

As he admired a skull on a shelf he imagined what good fun it would be to hide it on his buddy's bed and watch him explain in surprise when confronted with it on his way to bed. As he brushed the long wooden brush he thought about just how cool it would be to pretend duel his friend. What if his friend was a bit clumsy like he was. An equal match! He'd once hit sticks together with a little, plump boy and that had usually been pretty fair. He wondered what happened to that kid...

Pre-occupied by the thought of his childhood acquaintence Shane didn't navigate his thoughts back to his lack of friends again. It should have bothered the boy more but when he didn't think about the issue it was like it didn't exist. Working had a habit of bringing up odd and bad thoughts every now and again but Shane could always easily distract himself which came as a blessing and a curse sometimes. Thoughts, at the very least, helped to pass the time.

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on April 1st, 2014, 4:04 am

Shane found himself, unsurprisingy, mindng the shop as he was often called upon to do later that day. He decided to find himself a good book to pass the time. He passed along the shelves of books tapping on interesting spines as he did so. Tap. Tap. Tap. His finger stopped on a midnight blue spine. It was emblazoned with silvery lettering. “Magic and I...” he repeated the title to himself under his breath. It was bold and interesting enough a title for Shane to want a further look so he slid the book off the shelf and made his way down to the front.

He put the heavy-ish book down on the counter and sat facing it. “Vuld Shake...” Shane read out the author's name as he saw it. It was kind of an odd name but not by very much. The book didn't look that old to him and when he opened it up he recognised Avira's handwriting instantly. Yes, the old codger hardly ever sold real works by other authors. He preferred to copy the originals he had and sell the copies on. It kept the prices down at least. Even the modarately wealthy could hardly afford an original book.

He flipped through the unnexesary blnk pages and such to get to the preface and he was immediately struck by just how similar it sounded to the book that he owed everything to know. If anything it was much more coherent.

“So you have always wanted to be a wizard. Congratulations! So did I, and so do a few million children in our country. What's not to like? You get to harness The Power Of The Universe, don't you? Fame, respect, social standing, money and early retirement - the world is your oyster, isn't it? You know the great wizards of our time: you read about them in the papers and it seems like they are wherever the cool people hang out. The lifeblood of our country, they are also the life of the classiest parties in Treval. Sure, they may be a little 'eccentric' (which would equate to 'raving lunatics' if not for their Djed), but everyone loves them. If they take to wearing woolen scarves in the middle of summer, watch scarves become the next big fashion hit. Life as a famous wizard is sweet, dear reader!

Read that again. Life as a famous wizard. How many of them are there in our country? Five hundred maybe? And several thousands semi-famous ones. Great. Now I will gently remind you that, according to statistics, enrollment in our magic academies is in the tens of thousands per year. That many. I will count myself among those, though just barely, as I have retained precious little of what I was taught at the Academy. Speaking of which, our Academies are not that selective. They may pretend to be, but they will let almost anyone in, on the simple basis that it is difficult to tell who would make a good wizard until they start trying.

Have you ever wondered what happens to those wizards who don't get to be famous or semi-famous? I will tell you, and you aren't going to like the answer. You will be in good company, mind you. This little book was self-published out of my own pockets, as no publishing house in the realm was willing to send this to their presses. I am moderately rich from my other writings, however, and above all I am compelled to tell the truth. I don't know magic, but I know my magic, and that I will tell truthfully.

Magic and I have a long history. I will admit. I always wanted to be a wizard. I mean it. I wanted to be a wizard. I wanted to change the world with the power of my magic formulas! I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be special. I probably just wanted someone to take notice of me. I was just a fool with a dream. Now the dream is gone, but the fool is still here. Will you listen to a fool? Make of it what you will. Put down this book and do whatever you want with it (except ask for a refund). I am sure you have a table in need of some balancing. Wood for the hearth is terribly expensive these days. And I will not be offended should you decide to rip the pages and hook them near your toilet seat. I won't mind.

But then your kid comes back from the Royal Academy of Magic on all fours, foaming at the mouth, and you have to forever keep his disgrace locked away in a dark room of your home. It can't happen, you say? How do you know? If that happens, you will not want it to be known. They say such failures are a symptom of inherited weaknesses. If you are too loud about it, people will imagine you frothing at the mouth, as well.

I consider myself lucky. I only lost the use of my left arm and my best friend. If you lack the talent this is near the milder end of the spectrum. Problem is, you don't know if you have the talent until you try.

Happy reading, wannabe wizard!”*

He devoured the preface with lust. Wizardy... Magical Academies... But these were bad things? Apprentices apparently came home in queer states or not at all. Vuld spoke of a world where magic seemed to be popular but rather than the utopia Shane thought that might be it seemed that there was some potential for disaster and abuse.

This was certainly different. he had never considered the ramifi-

“Magic and I, aay Wallsly? What are you doing with a tome like that?”

* :
This quote was taken from the Lore. I'm not trying to pass off some contributers hard work as my own. My thanks go to said contributer. This quote is merely here to save the future Grader from having to go find it. The Lore entry is here.

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on April 1st, 2014, 4:05 am

Shane's first instinct was to hide the book as he looked up at his boss framed in the doorway to the shop. It would be too suspicious to do that now though. He had to come up with reasons now. Reasons why an ordinary boy with no magical talent whatsoever would read a book about someone's life with magic.

“I... I've always wondered about magic, Sir.” Shane got out eventually as Avira entered the shop and began the lengthy process of uncovering his scarf. “And this book loked real interesting. And.. And I like ed the colour and the letteing which was what drew me to it at first and...”

“Stick a loaf in it, Wallsly.” Avira said hanging his hat. “I've known there was something fishy about you since the first moment I saw you.” Shane's breath catched in his throat.”You're secretive.” He felt a peculiar feeling in his stomach and goosebumps all over his body. “You're always giving me these funny, queer looks.” His heart thumped a death-defying rhythm in his chest. “It's bloody obvious, boy.”

Shane tried to get himself to say something but all that he could get iout of him mouth was “ko, ko, ko”

“You're an Aurist, right?” Avira conluded shrugging off his winter cloak.

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on April 1st, 2014, 4:05 am

Simultaneously all of the muscles in his body sank into relief. He could live with that. He could live with Avira knowing that. There was no shame in it. The most peaceful kind of magic. As long as just Avira knew. Yes he would allow some truth to be known rather than deny it outright and he would stay in Avira's good graces. Maybe even the old guy wuld take him under his wing or something.

With his course of action picked he immediately attempted to adjust himself. He tried to seem relieved but not as much as he had been. He shifted himself on the chair a little trying to look tense but not as bad as he had been before. Luckily Avira didn't seem to have been paying that much attention to him as he was now opening an envelope he had produced from inside the folds of his now hung up winter cloak.

“Yes, Mr. Avira.” Shane admitted a touch dramatically. “That's why I wanted the job, Sir. I've just started and I thought what with the customers and the magical items I could hone it.”

“I see.” Avira replied while reading a letter to himself. “Tricky business it is, I hear. Never quite had a go at it myself. Who taught you?”

“Uh...” Shane didn't quite want to say a book because then Avira would want to see it and he was an expert on books anyway so he'd know if he lied. “My father's journal...” The more lies he concocted the easier it became to come up with them. “I found it in the Summer. Turns out he was an Aurist-in-Training, Sir.”

“I thought he was a Squire.” Avira said proving that he wasn't completely not paying attention.

“Yep.” Shane said quickly. “He was... Being taught it by the Knights, Sir. His training Knight was an Aurist. I mean that's what he wrote anyway.” Shane was holding on for his life at what he perceived as the harshest grilling of his life and what Avira probably thought was just a pleasant, afternoon chat.

“I forget about the Mage Knights sometimes.” Avira admitted ripping up the letter and throwing the confetti on the floor. “Clean that up, Wallsly.” He ordered Shane strolling over to the counter.

Shane got up and hurried to get the dustban and brush which was somewhere in the labyrinth of shelves. When he returned back to the front of the shop Avira was sitting where he had been sitting and was reading what he had been reading.

“Powerful stuff, Wallsly. Shaik was a master of sarcasm and a very profound writer.” Avira told Shane as he began to sweep up the pieces of parchment. “Published a lot of books. Even in this Mizahar of ours where books are so rare 'Magic and I' is something you can see in almost every library. Not only are the original pre-valterrian copies numerous but copies of them are even more numerous. The must have for every wizard.”

Shane placed the brush against the wall and turned dustpan in hand. “Sir, I've seen you sell enough books to know when you're trying to sell me something.”

“Is it working, Wallsly.” Avira said closing the book and holding it up in front of his face.

Shane sighed. “Yeah...”

Receipt :
Magic and I = 20 GM
Avira's Tidy Profit = 10 GM

Total = -30 GM

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Radiant on April 13th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Shane :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Animal Husbandry +1 XP
Observation +1 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Reading +1 XP
Subterfuge +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Norman: Can See In The Dark
Avira: Secretly Likes Dogs
Book: Magic And I
Magic: Powerful And Dangerous
Avira: Knows I'm An Aurist

Loots
"Magic and I" book
-30 GM

Notes :
A short, but sweet thread, Shane! I always love how you portray their interactions. Enjoy your grades (and new book)!

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)