Solo [The Asylum] Seeing What's There

Gian's interview to gain entrance to the College of Djed

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[The Asylum] Seeing What's There

Postby Giansar on April 28th, 2014, 7:49 am

18 Spring, 514 AV

She didn’t look much like the Svefra, he thought. People had so many little features. The skin alone—dots and hills and valleys, hairs, shading that his hands couldn’t capture in a drawing. He’d tried. Many times. She wasn’t supposed to look like the Svefra—like him, like Deneb and the rest. She was supposed to look as she did, human and paler and nuanced as she had to be. And right now, she was moving. Standing, stepping over with a smile that Gian didn’t like.
It looked like a predator.
“Please, come in,” he heard, feeling her will usher him into the brightly furnished place—office. Her office. “Giansar? I remember all my appointments.” The shading of her voice was confident. The ease of her words, her gestures—Gian shifted, finding himself in a seat that he didn’t remember choosing. “Yes,” he said, blinking. Responding to the last thing she’d said, about the appointment. The voice stopped, and he looked up. Sharp eyes were fixed on his face. “Excuse me?” she said, pausing. She had a clipboard now and a pen. Gian blushed. “I am sorry,” he mumbled. So far, he thought, he was not doing very well.

But the young woman smiled at him again, settling into a cushioned chair. “Let’s start over,” she said, kindly. “You are Giansar, correct?” He nodded, pleased to have his bearings again. “An unusual name,” she commented, raising a single eyebrow. “How did you come to have it?”

“I found it on a star,” the young man replied anxious. Wait. That didn’t sound right. “I didn’t have one,” he tried. “So I looked through a telescope and chose a star. It’s an old name,” he explained. “A tradition in the pod that found me.” Gian’s sharp blue eyes sought hers, some sign, but she was occupied. A quill scratched busily across the paper.
He wondered what it meant.
She seemed to finish, pausing, and looking up again. “Ah. I recall, now. I read your history,” she explained briskly. “Standard procedure before this meeting. Yours was rather short.” The statement sounded to Gian’s ears like a question. “If I find the rest, I’ll be sure to tell you,” he muttered, frustration peeking through his amiable persona. But Bethany laughed, and Gian shrugged.
“Shall we start your interview?” she asked, meeting his gaze with her own.

Funny. He had thought that it already started.
“Yes.”
Last edited by Giansar on April 28th, 2014, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giansar
Looking Through You

Words: 9165
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2013, 4:00 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Giansar on April 28th, 2014, 7:55 am

After the interview, he would look back on it to try to understand exactly what had happened. Bethany was an odd person, he decided later. She was direct and—what as the word, the word that meant your words slipped around the meanings and hooked into someone’s mind to pull it where you wanted it—subtle. She was both. He played it back in his mind, again.
“What makes you think that you want to be a wizard?” she asked, pen poised. The young Ethaefal was taken rather aback. What made him think so? What made anyone think anything? He wondered, though. She meant to ask him what about being a wizard appealed to him, or why he wanted to learn from the scholars of djed—that was what she meant. He knew that, of course. But the shape of words—that was worth time.

Why did he want to enroll? It was so odd, he had thought at first, how he could be so sure of something without knowing why. Without having a reason, he could think something, want something, know something—act, speak, even. So much happened beneath the surface. That was why. “I want to understand,” he tried. “I want to learn about the things that I can’t reach out and touch.”
“Study history.” She was dismissive, brisk, and…playing him? Gian’s head turned a bit, twisting to the right and tilting to the side as he considered it. His eyes narrowed a bit as he looked at her. “That’s not what I meant.” She opened her mouth to speak, but he wasn’t done. “And you knew that.” From him, it was an accusation, not a comment.
The frustration had boiled up out of nowhere, as it did—but it didn’t fade so suddenly. His eyes darted, his breathing quickened a bit, and he felt as though the room had gotten smaller. “I want to learn. That should be enough.”
Giansar
Looking Through You

Character sheet

Postby Giansar on April 28th, 2014, 7:56 am

Bethany seemed to be unfazed, permanently. Gian saw, though, that her knuckles whitened gripping the pen. Surprised? Good, he thought privately, surprised at the idea himself.

“You want to understand people, go study psychology,” she said brusquely. She saw him open his mouth and cut him off. “No, I’m not done. You’re adrift. Svefra have pods—you don’t have one. You’re not even a Svefra. You’re an Ethaefal. And you don’t even have the memories you should since… returning.”

He waited, raising his single eyebrow—was she finished? Yes? Perhaps. The anger had faded, mostly. The frustration, the energy surge. “You’re right,” he said, thoughtfully. “That’s why I want to learn. I want to learn this, and I want to learn here. I want to keep learning Auristics and reaching and getting something. I want to learn about power here. And I want to find memories, new ones or old ones. I want my memories.”

She nodded. “You know that about yourself,” she said, approvingly. “And I think that you don’t quite know yourself yet. That can be dangerous in this field. You’ll have to be careful. And so,” she said, “will we. If I let your application pass, you need control. And you need to decide who you’re going to be. And you’ll have to decide well.”

Gian thought about it. “Does anyone decide that one right?” he asked, genuinely unsure. “All I have is flashes of what I was, sometimes. And Leth took the rest.” He had much to think of Leth, but that was beside the point.

“Sort yourself out, and figure out your quarrel with Leth,” Bethany said, frowning a bit. “But…” she paused, and made up her mind—“welcome to the college.””

He still wasn’t sure what happened as he left, or what she knew about him from such an odd interview. Or why he passed. But, for once, Gian didn’t question things. He accepted.

As he left, he paused, seeing her lean against the doorway. “Don’t forget that you have to take the first two courses,” she said, businesslike, “for our college. And then we’ll see where you go.” He nodded—and went out the door.
Giansar
Looking Through You

Character sheet

Postby Neologism on June 8th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Skills & Lores
Skill XP
Socialization +2 xp
Rhetoric +1 xp

➢ Bethany: Direct & Subtle
➢ Reason For Studying Magic: Curiosity And Determination
➢ Giving A Direct Answer To A Direct Person: It Surprises Them
➢ Leth: He Can Help You Understand Your Past
➢ You've Been Accepted Into The College Of Djed

Comments
I like the interview you set up! Its an interesting read in itself. If you find any problems or are concerned about anything, please let me know and we can work it out. :)
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)