Flashback A Simple Lesson in a Simpler Time

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Simple Lesson in a Simpler Time

Postby Matthew on March 27th, 2014, 12:15 am

20th of Winter, 511 AV.

A small tuft of steam wafted from the black surface of his coffee, tickling at the tip of his nose and causing the stoic student to wrinkle his face a bit.

Coffee. Delicious. It smells burnt. It makes my head sing.

He stared down at the cup for a moment, studying it before lifting it to his lips and taking a sip. He had only recently started to drink it, and it was only because of Lisaelis that he was now addicted. He hated the idea of being addicted to something. He woul dhave to stop drinking it soon. Not this morning, though. Perhaps tomorrow morning, when there wasn't so much work to do and so much to learn. Glancing back up, Matthew stared out the dorm window, peering through a crack in the simple curtains that lined it. It was still horribly early in the morning, Setting his cup on the rim of the window, he shuffled a stack of papers from one arm to both hands, flipping through them quickly as he glanced over their contents. They were personal notes, about a half dozen pages per book that he had based the notes off of. Pausing on one page in particular, he took a moment to reread some of his handwriting, checking for any sort of inconsistancies. The title of that particular book had been Practical Glyphing.

...Glyphs by two different mages can look completely different, but mean the same thing. It is a personal preference, really. We say it is a science, but we draw with our instincts. When we are finished, then the instincts of others can tell the same thing. Glyphs can be a form of Ancient Tongue, though that is saved for another book. For now, merely soak in the shapes, and try to understand their power...

It would be helpful to seek Annalisa's counsel on this, then. Several teachers had recommended her when Matthew had asked for advice concerning his project. They all seemed to eager to get the students to work together. Matthew had politely agreed and then contacted the young woman one day after one of her classes. They would meet in her dorm a certain morning. Today was that morning, and Matthew had come prepared. Ink and quill, stack of notes, and mind wide awake. A simple black button-up shirt clung to his well-defined body, black britches holding to his slim hips. His appearance was quite simple, though with quite a bit of attention paid to the small details.There was a faint earthy smell rising from his flesh, the pleasing scent of cologne. There was the gentle odor of mint lingering on his lips. He always remembered to brush his teeth. The morning had been just the same as every morning, though now Matthew was curious as to one thing. Him and Annalisa hadn't set an exact time.

Was he here too early?

He turned, sliding his back down against the wall, peering at the woman. Was she sleeping? The door had been unlocked, he had assumed she was expecting him. After about two or so bells of waiting though, he was starting to think that perhaps she was actually still sound asleep and that before the crack of dawn hadn't been the equally assumed time. He crossed his legs slowly, letting his notes settle into his lap and reaching up his hand to snag his coffee off the window edge. Perhaps she was just resting her eyes and wasn't aware he had came in. He had been very quiet and had gone straight to the side of the room, settling there to prepare himself for her lesson. He had wanted to be a good student, to make her task as easy as possible.

Clearing his throat, completely unaware of the exact appearance of all his actions this morning, Matthew hesitantly spoke in a soft and polite voice. "Excuse me? Annalisa? Is this too early? Are you asleep and I should come back later, perhaps?"

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on April 5th, 2014, 10:14 pm

The brush danced across the parchment with practiced ease, bringing to life the Glyphs she knew had to adorn the sheet. Prodigy they called her, a waste of such boundless talent cried others; however none could deny the genius Annalisa Marin displayed towards the magical arts. Dark ink bled onto the parchment, formed in the pattern of a stylized inverted triangle with her strokes even and confident. A Focus Glyph if ever there was one to be found, well-crafted and the work of that prodigious talent within her. However rather than form a sigil her next task was to form a ring of smaller geometric shapes beneath it, a Barrier Glyph to stand on its own.

Today was something of a special day for her, as apparently another student was interested in learning the art of Glyphing from her. Anna had never taught someone before, however the young woman was rather excited of the prospect of using her magic for something. The University’s constraints upon magic were irritating, as far as she could see they were only in place to hold her back from her true potential. They were a safety net and Anna was slowly, and bitterly, coming to that realization as the more she progressed the more restrictions arose.

The Barrier came to life, her brush teasing lightly at the symbols to create a ring that possessed the function of containment. The individual Glyphs had lost their challenge and instead she found her world opened to the art of crafting sigils. The young woman’s face grew contemplative as she pondered what else her student would need to know in this lesson; the Trigger was an advanced concept so perhaps the Path would finish it up? It seemed to be a good possible direction to take the lesson, so Anna started on another Barrier below her existing one.

The chimes flew by as Anna worked, her mind becoming so engrossed in the task of her Glyphs that all around her was drowned out. Grey eyes shifted over the parchment as her brush worked, bringing the second Barrier Glyph to life and the connecting the two Barriers with a line of geometric shapes that made up her Pathway Glyph. Anna’s eyes were alight with passion and joy as she worked, magic being one of the few subjects one could truly find her get animated over. Everything else just looked so mundane by comparison now.

As she finished her task Anna she moved the parchment to the side and sighed, staring out the window and figuring that she possessed a few chimes before Matthew arrived. Enough time to catch up on some needed sleep, her work previously having taken quite a bit of time. Lazy she might have been in her magic theory classes she always did the work that was expected of her well, as well as making sure it was done on time. Which was probably why her sleeping habits had become erratic, though such was the way of things unfortunately. As it was she lightly yawned and slumped forward onto the small desk, grey eyes shutting as her breathing slowed.

The next thing she knew was a polite toned voice jolting her from her slumber, sending her sitting bolt upright and looking about with her eyes alert. Her gaze found Matthew, as immaculate as she had come to expect, leaning up against the far wall. By contrast Anna’s hair was unbound and a little wild, her clothing loose and looking rather like she had just thrown it on. Hardly the appearance one would expect from a prepared instructor.

“Oh, no, I’m awake! Jus’ needed ta catch a bit o shut eye earlier. Nothing to worry ‘bout.” Anna said hurriedly, her accent bleeding out into her words.

“Right, so, first off, ya got any questions ‘fore we get started?” The tall woman asked, yawning slightly and rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

OOCRight, sorry this took so long Matthew, I have no excuse. I'll hopefully be much quicker on the reply. :)
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Matthew on April 8th, 2014, 4:52 pm

He stared at her for a moment, mulling over his words. Everything the student did was noticably precise and planned, even each word he spoke. It wasn't as much that the young Matthew was trying to be calculating, he just thought about everything, in a sense. It could be infuriating for some, helpful for others. "You can sleep awhile longer, if you like. I don't mind waiting, if you don't mind me sitting here. I have been working on strategies for a variant of chess that I designed when I was younger, so perhaps I could take a moment to review those." Depending on her answer, they could certainly go one of two ways. He would be more than okay with allowing her a bit of time to sleep, and their conversation could end there for a short moment. He would also be okay continuing the lesson, and would do so without hesitation.

"I do. I tried to educate myself a little before I came here. Glyphing will be the first discipline I take, but I read that it was usually not the best to study as a first art. I am interested mostly in World Magics. This leads me to two different questions. First, why is Glyphing not suitable for a first selection? Second, is there a World Magic that you would suggest to accompany it? I enjoy the science of World Magic. Not to say that Personal Magic doesn't have its own science, it just requires a certain amount of imagination that I think I lack, if that makes sense. However, I would be the first to admit that my experiences are limited to what I could spy on in University classes and what I could learn from snippets of Library books." He took a breath, pausing, making sure that he wasn't speaking too fast or becoming too unclear. Matthew hadn't moved a bit, was still just sitting there with his hands politely clasped and the stack of notes on his lap.

Remembering the notes, he did take a moment to glance down at them and finally started to move a bit more. He plucked one piece of blank paper from the stack and pulled a quill and inkwell from his pocket, uncorking it and letting the tip of the quill soak in it. He was such the good little student, all ready to take notes.

"Also, on second thought, I do have a third question. What basic fundamental understanding should I have of magic before studying the specific World disciplines? Is there a correct order to learn things? I understand there is a language, is that something that is needed? I am very new to all of this, and while I am very happy to research, the advice of someone who is more familiar with it all would prove to be invaluable." He paused again and blinked a few times, then spoke once more, this time sounding as if he was having a hard time phrasing the words.

"I do appreciate your time." He hadn't been sure how to thank her. She was a teacher so it was her job to teach, but this was a private and focused lesson. Should he have brought a baked good or some coin? "If there is a way I can repay it, do not hesitate to let me know."

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on April 26th, 2014, 2:38 am

Anna raised an eyebrow at the man when he commented on letting her sleep a bit more, the young mage waving her hand in dismissal of the offer and chuckling a bit. The dark haired woman was here to teach Matthew after all, to show him some aspects of the arcane as well as she could. Avoiding it with a bit more shut eye would do neither of them any good and would waste time they both could be spending elsewhere, though Anna was unsure exactly what Matthew studied. The tall woman reclined back into her chair, arm settling on the small side table.

“Nah, don’t worry o’er much. Said I’d teach ya, so I’ll teach ya.” The tall woman said, smirking slightly.

Matthew wasted no time with his questions and immediately the dark haired woman started pondering the answers to these questions, as well as how to build her lesson around them. He seemed focused upon the aspects of what Glyphing was as a basic skill, how it functioned and affected magics of the world. Anna lifted a single eyebrow at his interest in those particular arts, world magics were more sciences while personal magic was more of an art form in the tall woman’s mind. It was odd really to Anna as she was just the opposite in that she looked more into the magics of self.

Anna opted to answer his questions first by producing the parchment she had just been working on, holding up the sigil for Matthew to look upon. She then would stand briefly and move to hand it to him, sitting back down if he would take it and leaning back into her chair as she crossed her legs. The tall woman would give him time to look over the sigil, crossing her arms under her breasts as she did and drinking in every detail of the well-dressed man. He was immaculately dressed and when she had drawn close a pleasant aroma had tickled her nose, handsome and desirable to most any.

“Those symbols ya are looking at are exactly why it’s no’ recommended to learn Glyphing first. Without magic ta interact with ‘em, those Glyphs ya are looking’ upon are merely pretty pictures on a page. Glyphing thus is only useful when in some way interactin’ with a mage or magic, this means that it is often best to possess ano’er magic when utilizin’ it. As for world magics to accompany it… any and all of ‘em is the short answer. All magic, no matter tha type, is affected in some way by Glyphing. World or personal it makes no difference.” The tall woman offered, shrugging slightly.

“Think o’ magic as a language, Matthew. Glyphing is tha codex by which we can understand tha’ magic, how we can begin ta truly know how it functions. Each wizard possesses a different style; my Glyphs are gonna be far different than another’s might be. However it is no’ so much about the Glyphs themselves, as it is tha manner and patterns in which they are used.” She offered.

“World magics in general possess their differences, just like any o’er magic. There is no sure fire or easier path ta go about it though havin’ some knowledge of Glyphing might make it more safe. Generally it is best ta start with plenty of theory before jumpin’ in, in my opinion at least. I assume by language ya mean the Ancient Tongue. Sure, it always helps ta be able ta read some old documents, though it ain’t required.” The tall woman said, leaning forward and looking upon the man as she waited for any further questions.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on May 3rd, 2014, 1:25 am

He stared at the sigil, blue eyes sharp. There was movement behind the stare, the turning and clicking of gears. While his face was passive and fairly blank, his eyes were so very alive with unfiltered and unrestrained thought. He didn't glance over at her, but his next soft words did target her. "I've noticed you cross your arms under your breasts whenever you are in thought. Have you noticed it? It seems to be a tic of sorts. I tilt my head." His voice was faint and distance, his focus obviously on something completely different. If he noticed that he was the one that was the object of her study, he gave no outward sign of it. Even if he did notice, it wasn't anything he would think much of. He was pleasing to the eye, it was a simple fact. It was nothing to be particularly proud of. It had been complete luck of the draw, one of his fate-given strengths. He would have chosen more brilliance, if possible. Or perhaps how to cook. Cooking was a useful skill.

The student understood her explaination. He had read a little about Glyphing. What he had read had demanded the the symbols be embedded with magic. What good were they if they did not have a determined use? He tilted his head to the side slowly, showing Annalisa the exact tic that he had mentioned earlier. "In theory then, there is only so far I can progress before I have to use another sort of magic to compliment my knowledge of Glyphing. When it comes to world magics, is there a particular one that you would suggest, one that the University would have services for? This would not be the focus of my studies, that would be medicine, but I still would like to explore knowledge of any kind." He stared at the glyph for a bit more and then blinked, blue eyes moving back to the girl. Ancient Tongue, was it? He would have to remember that and see if the Library had any materials that he could make use of.

"Also, does that mean that this lesson should change focus? I would not want to be taught something out of order. If it is a waste of your time to try and push Glyphing theory into my head when I have no other magics to compliment it, perhaps we could find another subject to study, or I could make it up to you with something entertaining instead." His eyes went back to the sigil, mind turning again. He was fairly sure he could learn what theory he needed to learn from the Library. He could at least grow familiar with painting and drawing the Glyphs that were needed. He imagined it would be useful to be able to form them with somewhat skillful speed whenever he ended up learning another world magic to compliment them. He wasn't so sure if Annalisa would want to be involved in a lesson with that sort of thing though, or if he would be better off just going to an artist of some sort.

Whatever the case, his attention eventually went back to her. She had shown him that a lesson in Glyphing might very well not be the most productive use of their time. He was a matter-of-fact sort of person, someone who enjoyed getting straight to the point, speaking what was on his mind and so on. If this was a waste of her energy, then he had presented her with a number of different options. He wouldn't be at all upset if she decided to take him up on one of those, or if she offered her own or decided to continue the lesson.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on May 10th, 2014, 6:45 am

Anna’s eyes widened at the observation and she noted that, sure enough, her arms were crossed under her breasts as he said. The young woman dropped the posture self-consciously, a little unnerved by the observation as harmless as it was as most people typically did not make observations such as that so bluntly. The tall woman instead leaned her elbow against the table, pondering once more the full measure of the attractive man before her. He was not just a pretty face, that much was obvious so there was likely more to him than met the eye. The dark haired wondered exactly how much help he really needed, whether this was a mere idly curiosity for him or not.

She chuckled at his theory regarding the advancement in Glyphing, shaking her head ever so. She was living proof that theory was false, though Anna was also rather prodigal talent in regards to magic in any event. Not everyone grasped the art much like she did, one of the weakness’ of prodigal talent was it made one think others should be able to grasp the craft as naturally. The Glypher certainly fell into that trap sadly enough, even if she herself was not completely aware of it.

“Glyphing can be… more challenging without ano’er supplementary magic, but it is very possible ta learn it ta an advanced degree without other magics. I, for instance, don’t possess o’er magics beyond Glyphing and I grasp tha magic easily enough ta handle more advanced concepts. If ya supplement it with proper magic theory and instruction those should make up tha difference. In theory though, ta make the fullest use of it, then yeah ya would require another magic ta pursue.” The tall woman offered, shrugging slightly at the end.

“As for world magics, I hear there is a fine theory course on tha discipline known as Alchemy I have had my own eye on. Spiritism is also offered I believe. Anything else I am unaware of.” The woman offered.

The tall woman lifted a brow at the suggestion, technically this was an off the course roster kind of lesson but his suggestion held some merit. She really did want to look into a few alchemy related tomes in the restricted section of the Library, the problem being that Matthew was likely not College of Djed as he mentioned medicine being his main course of study. Of course, there was nothing that stated she simply could not bring books on the subject to the man outside of the restricted section. After all, it was for the betterment of academia.

“Well, now tha’ we are talkin’ about it… on tha subject of Alchemy, my friend told me there was a rather enlightenin’ book on its basic concepts. If ya are interested, we could always take a look yeah? Might be able ta tie in some Glyphin’ with it.” The tall woman offered, shrugging slight at it and folding her arms under her breasts once again unconsciously.

She noticed it this time and chuckled, leaning back in her chair and awaiting what Matthew’s answer might be. Anna was all for researching a bit of theory on Alchemy; she rather liked personal magic herself but rarely got to research it with what the University had to offer. They were rather strict regarding safety above all things in regards to magic classes, something the tall woman could understand the reason for but she felt held back. She could feel that she was meant for so much more than just what the University could teach, that her power could encompass more. She just needed a chance.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on May 15th, 2014, 4:23 pm

The young student didn't really notice as she dropped her arms, nor did he pick up on the fact that she was a bit un-nerved. To him, such observations weren't of any real importance. Perhaps interesting, which was why he had shared, but not very useful.

Ah, so she didn't have any magics other than her discipline of focus? It seemed odd to him. He also noted how her claim broke the guidelines of what she had just told him, but he had heard she was smart. He had heard she was very smart. What better a person to break the laws of the everyday mundane than someone who was set aside and in a place of their own? The way she put it, it didn't sound like she was someone who had just studied an incredible amount. No, it had come naturally to her. After a moment of silent thought he slowly nodded and stood, politely offering a hand to help the professor up. "I would be very interested. Thank you for the suggestion." He would wait if she had anything to prepare, but then would take the lead towards the Library. As they walked through the halls toward the correct wing, Matthew glanced over at her and then slowly spoke again, his words soft and meant for only her own ears.

"If you are brilliant, why are you here? Brilliance would seemingly be shackled here, not nurtured. Perhaps nurtured for a time, but eventually the shackles start to tug. Do you ever realize that there is a place your mind can go that the minds of normal people cannot reach?" It was a somewhat personal question but Matthew wasn't aware. He did not have a very good concept of such a thing. Instead, he had often wondered the same thing himself. He was brilliant, though perhaps in a different way. All the rules, all the structure, they were good until a certain point. They were good up until the point when the brilliant began to overcome the normal. He was unlike Annalisa in this regard, not exactly arrogant or prideful. He merely saw it as a simple fact.

She would have time to answer the question if she so wished, or she could merely mull it over. He would not press it farther. They would eventually reach the Memorial Library, Matthew quickly approaching one of the junior members of staff. He glanced around for Lisaelis, but didn't spot her. Once they were reasonably close to the staff member, Matthew would slow and let Annalisa take the lead. She was the teacher, after all.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on May 29th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Anna had not needed any time to prepare for this little journey and so the pair would set off through the dorms first towards the correct wing. The tall woman walked with a slight slouch to her gait, exuding easy confidence in her own abilities as well as a touch of arrogance perhaps? As they walked Matthew addressed her quietly, asking her a question she herself had actually wondered the answer to for quite some time. Anna was brilliant by all accounts, a little flippant and lazy at times, but a prodigy of arts that were magical. Yet she stayed in this place where her abilities were starting to be held back rather than fostered for all they were worth.

“I’m no’ entirely sure o’ why exactly, Matthew. Habit maybe. You’re right though, there reaches a poin’ when the chains o’ academics chafe. As fer where my mind can go, yeah, it can but with magic it can also fall deeper than anyone would wan’ ta go.” Anna offered by way of response as they arrived at the Library.

The musty smell of old parchment was a welcome one to someone like Anna, truly the Library was one of the few places she could allow herself to be lost. The Library’s selection of magical works was not the most extensive ever but it held a respectable amount of volumes, hopefully she could fine what she was looking for. The tall dark haired woman located one of the staff and made a line towards them, knowing they could likely point her in the direction of the restricted section’s Alchemy selection. As for Matthew, well, he was the student after all so she was sure she could think of something.

“Hello there, names Annalisa, College o’ Djed and I’m looking for the Library’s selection on Alchemy.” Anna started, smiling cordially at the man.

He looked over the rim of his half-moon spectacles at Anna, looking her up and down before shifting his gaze to Matthew shortly. Now here would come the tricky bit for the student, though she had a good enough lie as to why he was with her. Not exactly something that made her comfortable, but hopefully enough to get Matthew through to access the book itself. The thought of deception always managed to get the blood pumping in her veins, excitement thrilling its way down her spine in a delightful tingle.

“I see… and who might this young man be?” He inquired.

“Ah, this is my fiancé, Regis; he’s only here ta humor me this one time. He’s no' exactly fond o' books or reading sadly.” The tall sorceress said, going so far as to frown at Matthew to display her displeasure at that little made up fact.

Anna was rather hoping Matthew was not so stoic as he appeared and that he could act at least halfway decently. In truth, while the sorceress found most everything about Matthew attractive and extremely enticing, she was not exactly interested in him in a romantic sense. Maybe as a fling she’d probably have her clothing on the floor before one could say ‘off’, but she was far more interested in pursuing members of her own gender. If Matthew had been a woman, then that would perhaps be an entirely different matter.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on May 29th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Fiancé?

Matthew resisted the urge to blink, his stoic appearance turning into his saving grace for a brief moment. The completely blank face that he naturally wore automatically hid his brief moment of surprise, blue eyes cooly sliding to Annalisa and then back to the librarian. He considered his options, mind blurring through the possibilities in the brief second that his response to Annalisa's little ruse hesitated.

He was not at all good at acting, not at this point in his life. Matthew's tone of voice and facial expression had one basic setting that it very barely ever deviated from. While he rarely considered this to be a handicap of any sort, in this moment and this scenario, it definitely could be a setback. How to take that weakness and turn it around to be helpful when putting on an act, then? What would Regis do in this situation? Who was Regis, even? It was an odd name to choose.

The young student leaned on the only skll he had that could perhaps substitute for acting. In a way, it was pretty much just an act anyways. Blue eyes blinked and then glanced down at Annalisa, a small smirk touching to Matthew's full lips, a little secret of a smile that held all sorts of hidden meanings for two lovers. An arm very casually slipped around her waist, light to the touch but possessive in its hold, giving her the slightest of tugs closer to him. It would be a very obvious shift to Annalisa, like Matthew had flicked a switch somewhere within himself and suddenly invoked the charm that one would think he should have. When he spoke even his voice was different, low and slightly playful in tone. "She promised a reward if I was a good boy." He winked at the librarian, his little show enough to make the man give a not-so-subtle roll of his eyes. They were waved onwards, pointed in the direction they needed to go, a brief warning glance thrown towards Annalisa as if to warn her to keep an eye on her apparently frisky fiancé.

The couple would move on and Matthew would once again flip that inner switch the minute they were in private, arm falling from Annalisa's waist. He did it as if changing a pair of clothes, casually and without paying it much attention. The young wizard might notice his detachment even more than ever now. Even if he was attractive, he didn't show it off unless required to. Even if he had been briefly forced to play the part of the lover, he had done so while still somehow keeping a certain sort of casual and professional feel to it. Annalisa would never have to worry about any attempts at romance or any misunderstands about their status on Matthew's part. He was emotionally vacant in a sense, though this did give her a rather non-judgmental blank slate of person to associate with. He had indulged in her deception without a second thought, so that certainly suggested his morality might be just as... blank.

"I understand. I struggle with the chains of society. Perhaps not chains, just... difficulties. I have a hard time understanding all of the unspoken rules that many others seem to know. I have no doubt you'll find a way to free yourself, however. Sometimes I wonder if the mind is too smart for its own good." His tone had switched back to a professional one, Matthew leading the way to the forbidden area and perusing the shelves that they had been pointed towards. Already he could see multiple books on the subject they had come to study, as well as quite a few books that spoke of things he had no idea about. He awaited Annalisa's judgement, not liking to have to force her to take the lead so often, but left with little other option because of his gap in magical knowledge.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Annalisa Marin on June 17th, 2014, 6:14 am

The young woman was pleased as Matthew played along to their little ploy, allowing them to be waved along for their trouble with no further questions. Anna walked easily through the shelves, noting when Matthew was able to just turn off his act easily enough. It was an odd thing, the man could act extremely well and it was almost a little frightening how good it was. He could just flick a switch and change how he acted and who he was, if nothing else Anna had just learned he was far different than many men she had met. He had changed so easily and casually back to his more distant self, was this who he was or was it just another act?

Anna kept her rather paranoid musings to herself and simply started to scan the shelves of the library, searching for one that did not look to be incompetently written. Not exactly an easy task, the library had information up to its ceiling but some of it was rather useless information. A person could go on for paragraphs on end about a topic of little interest and still get his point across less effectively than another who captured in a couple of sentences. Unfortunately, the magical section was hardly expansive so her options were rather limited.

The tall woman turned to Matthew, giving his words some actual thought as her grey eyes seemed to ponder him as he was. The man was rather easily philosophical with a woman he barely knew, some might classify it as presumptuous though Anna was not much to care over that. Rather, what drew her attention was what he had said about unspoken rules. It was true for herself at times; the unspoken rules were rather often forgotten in favor of further learning. In truth Anna would prefer to leave the University, but the sad truth was that what she had said about it being habit was truer than Matthew likely knew. This was all she was good at.

“We’ll see. Academia, as stunting as it can be, can useful. It’s gotten me this far I suppose.” The woman said, as much to herself as to Matthew.

The student selected a rather thick looking volume labeled invitingly as “Basic Theoretical Applications for the Budding Alchemist.” Anna could practically feel the horrible amounts of indiscernible magical jargon contained within the pages begin to bleed into her hands. The tall woman would then lead them to a little side desk fit for two to sit at and read. She carefully placed the massive book down upon the table with a thud still resounding from it. A sigh escaped her lips as she gazed over to Matthew with a resigned look on her face.

“Ya know, I’m starten’ ta think tha’ most wizards don’t want others ta learn from whatever they have written down. I could probably cave a man’s skull in with this.” Anna remarked as she sat down, crossing her legs and pushing the book over to Matthew first.

“Ya wanted ta know a bit about some world magic, so let’s be gettin’ started, yeah?” Anna prompted, gesturing to the tome for Matthew to do the initial honors.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes