Placeholder Among The Wilds, They Meet Again (Part II)

The second half of Kaie and Aider's second meeting.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Among The Wilds, They Meet Again (Part II)

Postby Kaie on November 24th, 2013, 7:31 pm

89th Fall, 513 AV

A Duplicate of the Last Post From Here

Kaie had a feeling they'd both be seeing the vapor of their breaths soon enough. That was the curse of winter's approach, the cold that settled during the end of fall. The kind that settled deep into one's bones and tore their bodies apart in fits of shivers. There was no escaping that kind of freeze. Only a fire could temporarily ease the uncomfortable tremors one learned to tolerate. At least Aider had the sense to put a shirt on. Thankfully her own clothes were nearly dry.

"Who knows. Maybe both," She teased him back, partially fueling the mystery surrounding her life and hiding it all at once. Never did she openly want to admit the latter accusation might've been somewhat true. Kaie could almost remember that day. That gentle, parting kiss in which one left in quiet fits of desperation and the other parting with detached emotions and restrained feelings. She couldn't remember the last time his name even slipped from her lips.

Kaie mused quietly to her, conversing between herself and the flames. A coy smile eased up her cheeks at his infantile gesture, rolling her own eyes in response. She should've known another question would come.

"Don't you miss your home?"

The Myrian woman stiffened despite the relaxing burn of the fire, her muscles coiling like muscular snakes prepared to strike. There was the slightest dilation in her eyes, one similar to panic, before they went dark. Dark and empty. Her vision disappeared into oblivion. In its wake was a hollow body and a wounded soul, all wrapped up in the appearance of a dauntless warrior. Once again, she left her own body to cross the Suvan. To return to the place the trees towered and blocked out Syna, Caiyha's creations ran wild, and the sounds of battle, victory, and glory rang through her ears. The place where everything was a splatter of color against a canvas of greens and browns. The place where longhouses laid, their fires looming upward through the trees. All fading behind the fearless roar of Navre's greatest gift, the snarl that could tear that whole world in two.

And then came the faces. The faces that tore her soul into bits, shredding it like one did to paper when ensuring no one else could read the words. Kaie did not see nor hear Aider. Not completely. His words reached her ears, but not the person inside the body. She was far, far away. And in a world of pain she would not speak of.

"Yes. I do. And I did," Kaie answered simply, her voice devoid of life and speaking only fact. Simple, requested fact. Harmless fact. But why did it burn her so? "You ask a lot of questions."

This time it was not so much an accusation.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aider Silander on May 15th, 2014, 3:25 am

He looked at her, her voice empty with the reply. He wondered if he had touched a nerve.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you." he said. He paused for a moment the still quiet filling the air around them. "It wasn't my place to ask" he said, "I do. Maybe I shouldn't, it might be better" he said. He rubbed his eyes, Why did I ask that he thought to himself. I should have said something else, let her ask a question. He was doubting himself, she was in his mind making him question things? No it couldn't be. He doubted she would have that much affect. She didn't bother him, didn't make him uncomfortable. "Do you have any questions?" he asked. Trying to bring her back into his world, he wanted to bring back the warmth that she gave him. He wanted the awkwardness and emptiness that he caused to disappear. The birds chirped during their silence, the roar of the falls crashing into the pound that they were in recently. This could be the last time they meet and he possibly just messed everything up. The person he longed to be next to could hate him, she could just leave now and break everything he dreamed of in that moment. Could he blame her? He might have dug to deep, into a place in her mind that caused her pain. He wouldn't be able to, he wouldn't have the right to. He sighed again, stretching his arms and rolling his neck. He looked at her, that beautiful Myrian that was next to him. The one who had tackled him into the pond, the one who he couldn't be mad at. She made him smile like a fool yet she nearly killed him. He chuckled at his own stupid memories.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander
She has my heart on the end of her blade.

Words: 170163
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on May 19th, 2014, 9:13 pm

She stared off into the flames for some time. Her lips had long since pressed into an unwilling line, and most of her concentration was sacrificed to the daunting task of locking away suppressed memories. It was an impossible task and she knew it, but showing weakness before a barbarian was absolutely out of the question. She knew her behavior for the duration the topic was discussed was enough. Immediately she found herself craving ale like it was water to a desert traveler. Trent had all the alcohol safely locked away back at camp. Such resources along the road were best kept away from belligerent cutthroats, which was the exact kind of company she had been keeping as of late.

Is that what I should be doing? Joining with bandits, rouges, and bloodthirsty thieves along the road, slaughtering those that come down through the wilderness and ducking out of the Knighthood's grasp? She thought bitterly to herself, glaring into the depths of the blaze. She could feel her companion's eyes on her. No, that is not for me. That is not the way. I will go home now. It shouldn't be long now until I get to Syliras. Just a few more days...

"Questions?" Kaie asked suddenly, head snapping back to Aider and only then realizing just how far she had begun to drift off. A mischievous smile crept upon her lips and for the moment her discontent vanished again. "Alright. How about...places. I see you all adventurous out here. Stupid, but adventurous. If you could live anywhere else in the world, be anything you wanted to, where would you go? Anywhere. You already know my answer." Finally the Myrian could begin to feel the true sensation of the familiar fabric against her flesh and bite of winter upon her back. The fire had been a good idea after all, but how long would she be able to truly enjoy it?

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on May 19th, 2014, 10:50 pm

She was quiet for awhile, fighting with her own thoughts. He could see the concentration on her face. She had forgotten him for the time being and was off in her own land. Does she actually trust me? Or is she just pitying me? he wondered, those questions biting at the back of his mind. Then she snapped back into reality, mimicking the last word that he had said. She asked him if he could be anywhere where would it be.
He remained silent, thinking out his answer. "Well. I don't know" he said simply. He turned the idea over in his head, he laid down in the dirt. Staring up into the nights sky. The broken vision between the trees. "Part of me would love to be able to stay out here. Forever, wondering the woods. Feeling Caiytha's embrace, the feeling of true freedom" he said.

He paused for a few more ticks before turning his head towards her. The fire reflecting in his warm hazel eyes.
"Then another part of me wants to be with... Well..." he took in a deep breath. "With you." he muttered almost instantly. His heart pounding in his chest. "You know adventuring with a friend, someone I could rely on" he added quickly. He hadn't a clue what he was saying, but he couldn't tell her how he felt. She wouldn't accept it anyway, not from him. Where he was born, where she knew he was from.

He wondered now if his honesty the first time they met would be his downfall. He could have lied, said he was traveling with a caravan. Maybe then he could have gotten lucky, spent the rest of the day with her. Felt her embrace. But was that what he really wanted? Did he just want to feel her skin on his? The rush between the two of them as their bodies danced together. No! he quickly shut his eyes. Shaking the images out of his head. He didn't want her body, he wanted her. Her soul, her personality. The innocent passion he saw in her eyes the first time. That willingness to fight for what she believe in, and her love for her home. He wanted her to be his, rather he wanted to be hers. He wanted her to want him, to want to be near him.

He grimaced before sitting up once again. He put his face in his hands. He took a deep breath and sighed. "I must be getting tired" he muttered. Though it wasn't a complete lie, he couldn't face her. He looked down into the dirt. What is wrong with me? Is she really different from the others? he wondered. Of course she is, she is the very thing I cant have. Freedom, he finally worked up the courage to look back up at her. Though he would not meet her eyes, he stared into the darkness that was settling behind her. The fire crackling in his ears, he would just enjoy this moment as long as he could.

Hey all, just wanted to say I am sorry for any delays and failed promises. I am getting ready for a huge trip out of the country as well as taking on a lot of extra shifts at work. The creative side of my brain hasn't been active as of late.
Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on May 20th, 2014, 9:10 pm

To the beginning of his response, Kaie nodded knowingly. Caiyha was one of Taloba's central deities besides Myri herself. The natural world was something to be honored and respected, all had come to understand in the lethal jungle they ruled. Though most would grow to become accomplished soldiers and hunters, it wasn't uncommon for some to instead devote themselves wholly to Caiyha's will. They were the witches of the wilds. Bohemian and aloof as they sometimes grew to be, their knowledge and acquired abilities were greatly valued by those that knew how to reach them. Aider spoke often of his loneliness. Would he really ever feel whole alone with none other than the trees?

"Traveling with a friend is far easier than traveling alone unless you know how to. Few do. Besides, with all the thieves and raiders that lurk around the roads now, it's better to be with people you trust," Kaie navigated slowly, brow knit as she tried to read his face. She watched the flicker of light from the fire that mirrored in his eyes. "Someone to rely on..." The copper skinned woman turned to him then with amber eyes burning just as brightly as the blaze. They bore into him ruthlessly, yet it was not in anger. "You think you know me, don't you?" The amber pools danced about his face accusingly for a tick before she turned away from him. She laid down beside him and stared at the bright specks within the night sky. "Whatever you think you've got figured out about me, forget it. You trust too easily, Deyhan. One of these days it might just get you killed." Her eyes closed then, hands knitting as one over her bare stomach. The long trek had lasted from Syna's rise to her untimely set, and with Leth now ruling the sky, the Myrian was just realizing the fatigue in her legs.

"I might not have killed you yet but if the rest of my caravan had come along, don't think I'd stand between you and a dozen swords because you're a familiar face."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on May 20th, 2014, 10:17 pm

There conversation turned from that of peace to a sudden hostility. She called him out. Challenging him, saying that his trust would get him killed. That he didn't know her. He sighed and nodded.
"I don't know you. In fact I know nothing of you other then your name." he said, pausing for a brief moment before adding "And if my trust gets me killed so be it. I am not a man able to live his life by hating and judging everyone. How would I get by? I cant hunt, nor can I fight. By all right I should be dead by now. But Im not. Why is that?" He wasn't really asking her just stating, maybe even asking himself. "Maybe I do trust to easily" he mumbled. "You had two chances to kill me. One which I would have never saw your face. At least in the pool I would have had that chance." he mumbled. The sound of bugs buzzed in the light of Leth. "I wouldn't expect you to" he said. "I wouldn't wish for anyone to stand between me and a sword." He stood, tired of sitting on the ground and stretched.

"Does it bother you?" he asked, not looking down at her. "Do I bother you?" His eyes glanced up to meet Leth as he rose into the nights sky. "To be here, with me right now. Does it bother you that you haven't had the will to kill me? Or maybe you are just toying with me. Waiting for me to fall for you and then, you'll kill me." he said rather dully. "No. I don't think you are that kind of person." he said, "but then again I don't know you" he clearly pointed out to her previous accusation. He walked over to the pond, he looked down at his own reflection. "Then again do I even know myself?" he mumbled under his breath.

His life had changed so much since they had met. He wanted adventure, a life worth living. One you could tell stories about. He finally met someone who lived outside of his city, a race he though he would never had the chance to meet and now? Now he was cursed with this hunger he couldn't quench. It annoyed him, angered him to a point that he had not felt before. He stood over the pond, his breaths deep and long. His breath showing in the chilly air. "Why are you still here then? If you don't trust me? If there is no reason for you to still be here, then why haven't you left?" he asked.

Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on May 21st, 2014, 12:04 am

She let him speak for some time, her eyes remaining closed as if she were passive to his outbursts. Her knit fingers danced upon opposite knuckles rhythmically. Finally when he had finished his spiel her eyes flashed back open and she rolled onto her side to face him. Her expression was one that was rather unimpressed. Her brow shot up in disappointment, eyes glazed over in a veil of disdain. Finally she shook her head at him and released a deep sigh.

"Oh, for petch's sake, Aider. If you keep carrying on like this I swear I'll get out my sword and finally run you through. You pity yourself too much," Kaie responded bluntly, groaning and falling back onto her back. Her eyes stared back up between the bare tree limbs that laced between the synapses of stars. "I'm here because to tell you the truth, those guys I'm traveling with back at camp? They sent me out here to find people like you to gut and loot. They're killers, smugglers, and thieves. They found me on my way to Ravok and gave me two options: fight another member for a spot in their caravan or face the edge of all their swords. So I beat the man to death and now I'm there scout." The Myrian yawned passively, feeling the warmth of the fire as its intensity reached her bare feet. She could see no reason to feel overwhelmingly guilty for the murder. It was a matter of survival. "I'm still here because it's easy to forget not everyone's like them."

The sunkissed female stretched and folded her arms back behind her head, propping her head up with her palms. Her head turned to find him again, eyes softening with honesty.
"If you want to find out who you are, go out and do something. Take risks. Go back to Nyka. Drink until you can't stand, find a woman to lie in the night with. Shoot with that stupid bow of yours until you can't feel your arm. Goddess, find some honest merchants and travel the world. The more you test yourself, the more you discover about yourself." She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and sighed once more, feeling the leaves beneath her crackle as she adjusted. "Now are you going to sleep or stand there and go back to ruining this?" Kaie patted the indent he had left in the grass before he removed himself to stare at his reflection. She offered him a small smile, as if trying to be a bit more sympathetic.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on May 21st, 2014, 10:02 pm

Leths climb continued into the nights sky, the fire crackling at their feet was the only sound to be heard for a few chimes. Then her sigh broke the silence, and what came after wasn't kind to his ears. Pity himself? Was it true, did his lack luster life come from his own mind? He had pitied himself so much yet didn't do anything about it?. He clinched his fist and painful frown had spread across her face. If his back had not been turned to her, it would show how hard her word had hit him. What she said was true, Aider had done nothing to change his life.

He just accepted it and moved on. He was annoyed at himself, the feeling of self hatred building inside him. Then she spoke again. Her soothing voice hit his ears. He turned back towards her as she spoke of her caravan. The people she was traveling with now, killers, smugglers and thieves? The sudden realization of how dangerous her life was compared to his was. How far apart their live truly were. Now she worked for them? As a means to keep her self alive he hoped. He stepped closer, though not returning to where he had sat before. Part of him didn't feel that it was right, not after his outburst. Test yourself and you'll discover more about yourself?Maybe it was that easy. He sighed slightly, after wards she offered his spot beside her back. He nodded not saying a word, he stepped back towards it. He sat down his legs kicked out towards the warmth of the fire.

His eyes met hers, a smile that mimicked hers was now on his lips.
"Forgive me" he said quietly, not expecting her forgiveness like he didn't expect her trust. He yawned and stretched out, laying back in the grass with his hands behind his head. He closed his eyes and whispere "Goodnight stranger" before he quietly drifted off to sleep.

Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on May 21st, 2014, 10:37 pm

The Myrian studied his expression for a moment, assessing his reaction. It didn't take much analysis to see she had obviously offended him. That had been the point in her words anyways, hadn't it? She would not coddle him and murmur sweetly into his ear like a babe in its mother's arms. He was a man grown, a very sheltered man, but aged enough that he should hear only truth. Kaie reflected no essence of an apology his way. She merely waited for him to contemplate her words and return to his previous position beside her.

Lucky it was me that stumbled onto Trent's caravan and not Aider. The boxer would've sensed his sensitively and bury him with both words and fist, Kaie thought grimly, seeing the bloodied face of the dead man she had killed hardly a season before. It was a battle well fought and had it not been a death match, the Myrian thought she might've grown fond of him with time. Lhex always had other plans.

"Goodnight, Nykan," She said sleepily, rolling onto her side away from him and letting the waves of drowsiness drown her deep into Nysel's realm.

Bells later Kaie awoke with a start, amber eyes flashing open wide. The scene of a nearby smolder filled her nostrils. Her gaze drifted down beside her, realizing far too late that in her sleep she had laced her left arm across Aider's stomach. The arm lifted immediately and the Myrian removed her head from its fleshy pillow, which just so happened to have been Aider's chest as well. In a rush she was quietly back on her feet.

How long have I been here? When did I fall asleep? I have to get back...

Just then she realized the smokey smell had come from the all but ceased fire before her. Thick black puffs wafted up from charred timber. A pile of ash blanketed beneath orange embers too stubborn to fall prey to the frequent gusts of fall wind. The savage wasted no time quietly fleeing the scene. Her feet hustled across the leaf barren earth, trying to avoid the fallen, dry plants for the sake of noise. She turned around to note the slow glow of Syna's rise above the falls, but found herself focused on the obvious smog beaming a signal for all to see high into the sky. The bronzed woman hesitated, glancing at the dense forest and then back toward the sleeping man. Someone will see it, Her better part whispered, and thus the Myrian begrudgingly sneaked back to the scene. Hastily she stomped out the rest of the embers and quietly rolled the burning timber off the hearth and into the dirt. And then Kaie was gone, back into the wildlands from whence she had come. Back to face Trent's wrath. Certainly she'd never see the innocent Nykan again unless it was in another dream...one she had been trying so hard at that moment to forget.
Last edited by Kaie on May 22nd, 2014, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Aider Silander on May 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm

The sleeping man rolled from his slumber as Syna peeked over the horizon. His hands felt for something that was no longer there, the presence of a woman that had been sleeping there the night before. He groggily sat up and wiped the sleep away from his eyes. The fire had been disturbed and other wise put out. He stretched with a yawn and sighed.
"Be safe Kaie" he said pushing himself off of the ground. He stumbled a bit, catching himself before he fell, and walked over to his stuff. He slid his shirt back on that he removed before and gathered the rest of his stuff. His quiver now slung over his shoulder and bow in his hand he looked up to the sky. "Syna give her vision on her way to wherever she may go, Caiytha guild her path along your domain." he prayed, he paused for a moment as if to think if what would come next was proper. For a barbarian like himself to say such thing as what he was about to. He sighed and looked down at the spot that they had laid the night before. "And Goddess Myri, though I am not your child I ask for one favor... Keep her safe so that I may see that beautiful face at least one more time" he said. Part of him thought that the Goddess Queen wouldn't even hear him and another remained hopeful. Once fully awake he climbed back into the woods, bow in hand ready for whatever may come his way. He stopped and looked back towards the falls one last time, a smile spread across his face. He then continued on his trek back to his home. "One more time, that's all I ask for" he said to himself and whatever god maybe listening.

Aider Silander

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next