Closed [Lakeshore] An Understanding of Res (Miro)

Miro teaches Venser how to use Reimancy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Lakeshore] An Understanding of Res (Miro)

Postby Venser Rush on February 26th, 2014, 10:45 am

79th of Winter, 513

Crystalline eyes cast their gaze about the lake as the ferry made its way to Lakeshore, Venser quickly making his way out of the boat, intent on making his way off of the boat, a familiarity with his surroundings dawning upon him with the continued visitation of Lakeshore. It seemed that this season was filled with a sense of adventure, or at the very least, a twisting of fate. The Rush twin was but a toddler in the past, sheltered by Ravok's paradise, almost fully ignorant of the dangers of the outside world. But, this Winter in particular bred a different light. Venser was changed by exposure to danger, a sort of naivete present in the past. The ignorance was, in truth, sickening to him. It spoke of a lack of understanding, a hesitance to know the world. Venser had traveled to a small extent to the past, yet he lacked a knowledge of the world.

He also learned that his knowledge of magic, though practiced to the extent possible, was pitiable. Weak, infuriatingly so, Venser sought to, again, be changed. Miro supplied this change, the initiation into the magic that he called Reimancy being one of the most painful experiences of his life. But even so, it paled in the face of his utter humiliation. Ignorance. Lies. A veil drawn over his head, limiting his perspective and weakening his ability to cast judgement. How could one invoke change without power? Without knowledge? The thoughts plagued him, frustrated him to no end, and the fact was made obvious by closed fists, a clenched jaw, and a fixed stare, the usual lack of compassion only highlighted by dark rims under his eyes.

The previous night was a cesspool of restlessness in combination with failed attempts at sleep. Venser knew not how many bells that he was allowed of rest, but it was not enough, the result bringing rise to the darkness. Memories flashed in his skull, the sheen of a dagger, painted with crimson, visions of circles engraved into calcified organics. The memories ended with darkness and agony, the shattering of a world. It was reminiscent of the experience he had with the death of Vilkas Rush. The change was apparent, though subtle. Developed over time, and it allowed Venser to keep track of it, to observe and foster it. It was obviously the direction that Harameus wanted him to go, so he made sure to know of it, but let it be.

If Change wishes me to be a certain way, then I am no one to stop it. The voices were heard in Miro's presence. They continued through the initiation, and I survived the encounter. Denying this is meaningless. It is time to move forward.

Venser cast his gaze towards the shores, sitting himself on the ground and removing his boots, allowing his feet to press to the solid ground, gaze cast towards the waters of the lake as he waited for Miro to exit the ferry and approach. The waters of the lake reflected Syna's light, the Goddess' majesty shining high in the sky, a sign of the day reaching its approximate midpoint. Glare filled Venser's crystalline gaze, blinding in its intensity, and it caused Venser to blink repeatedly for the feeling to subside.

Eyes closed, instead, the Rush twin allowing the chill of Winter's winds to buffet him, a deep breath filling his lungs. He would listen for Miro's approach rather than look for him, the wizard's limping form would make much more noise than a person with working legs.
Last edited by Venser Rush on May 22nd, 2014, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Words: 350153
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on February 26th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Miro hadn't seen very much of Venser since they had first met. This was fine, they were both busy men. Last they left off, there was a lot that happened. The Legate had a few prizes given to him, among them an initiation to Reimancy. Today the two found themselves together, and for obvious reasons. In the time that had passed, how much had changed, that was still to be discovered. What the undead wished to accomplish, that was kept clear in mind.

The young Venser Rush owed Miro quite a bit. How it would be claimed, that was no simple matter. There was of course Malediction that could be taken as payment, but that was not the goal here. The Legate would find his debt repaid as he was further groomed. For what, it hardly mattered, but there was a rare opportunity here. The debt was great, and it could be collected in full. But this only worked as long as the relationship between the two progressed as planned.

Eventually things between them would change. What was a life debt turned to a partnership would become something more. At some point the true cost of business would present itself, and it would seem the next logical step. Things only needed to move naturally for now, to progress as they would. For now the wizard would remain detached, though always helpful and supportive. This never more evident than by today's trip out of the city.

The journey to the shores was long, but relatively quiet. Though it seemed that Venser was in a mood, this was not necessarily a bad thing. He was a strange fellow, but such things never seemed to detract from his capabilities. It did make the man quite hard to understand and predict however. That could be somewhat fun, if it were not a more volatile part of him. He was labeled by Miro as one of the quiet ones that should be watched carefully.

Though it was not as if there was any sort of distrust for held for Venser. Quite the opposite in fact. When he did speak his mind, it often seemed quite straightforward and honest. It was an odd combination of traits, but it was likely the reason the man stood out from the rest. Still, the wizard hardly knew the man, so he could not say much. However from what he had witnessed so far, it was clear the man was perfect for investment.

The Chained One hobbled after his companion off the ferry and away from the lake. It had been a while since he had done much teaching, but he could hardly forget how. He doubted that his student had gotten very far on his own, but anything was possible. To learn to produce Res was not the most complex thing in the world. When finally the wizard caught up to his companion he stopped. "I will follow you. Find a place that is comfortable."
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Venser Rush on May 22nd, 2014, 9:34 am

Venser was not fully paying attention, his memory flashing in his mind's eye. Part of him wondered if Miro had lied to him, and the wizard had merely tortured him for his own amusement. The blonde felt no more powerful, he felt no life-changing alteration or surge of competency with the magic that he knew so little about. In fact, he felt nothing at all. The djed in his body felt untapped, hidden away, and lodged within his astral. Accessible within the veil of the astral body, flowing in the soul and ready for use, his djed was felt, Venser reaching into himself and slowly tapping into the well of his djed.

It felt akin to tapping into a reservoir, the djed filling him, receding from his soul and flooding into his body as he took steps forward. The waters of Lake Ravok pressed to the Lakeshore, waves crashing weakly to the muddied sands of the shoreline as Venser continued to tap into his djed. He felt a large measure of control over his djed, a smile breaking over the surface of scowl as he sat himself down at the shoreline, the smallest of waves finding its way towards him, missing his body, though the Rush twin was prompted by its proximity into removing his high boots.

The gifted boots were torn from his feet, placed next to one another a dew feet away from the Rush twin as he tapped into the djed flowing through his body, allowing the Flux to flow into both of his arms in equal measure, the strength taken from his legs, instead, djed pulling the physical strength from his legs, the astral pathways sending the current of djed to each of his arms as he lifted himself off of the ground, his entire body still seated.

The strength flowed through him! How the pleasure receded any hint of his sullen mood as he felt the strength in his body, a deep breath taken into his lungs as he sat himself back down. He tucked his legs towards his stomach, utilizing the strength of his core to roll his body forward, his abdomen straining from the effort, though his time training his body seemed to produce results. These sort of actions had become easier as Venser paid more attention to his form, his body becoming more and more a specimen of perfection, a perfect vessel for Harameus' transformation.

And he demonstrated this. The Flux poured into his arms, the magic enhancing his strength to double their norm, his legs all but useless as he rolled forward, shooting his hands out so they dug into the sand before Venser pushed with both his arms and his core, placing himself into a handstand with ease as a laugh escaped him. The Flux calmed his nerves, it eased the pain in his abdomen, but most of all, it liberated him from his own scrutiny.

The Rush twin had rolled into a handstand, his legs folded at the knee, putting pressure on his abdomen as Venser folded his arm at the elbow, a single inverted push up performed, the action replicated twice before he rolled back onto the floor. A breath filled his lungs as the Rush twin re-focused on the weave of his djed, allowing the astral pathways to pull upon the residual djed in his arms and slowly navigate it back towards his legs, the strength returning to them as he found his way to his feet,

"That was a diverting enough little show, wasn't it? In any case, I believe the shoreline will do perfectly for our lesson? You wish to show me... Reimancy, it was called, correct? You explained to me that it would 'make me strong.' But other than the logical conclusions that I could garner, you never explained exactly what the premise of the magic was. Do you mind me asking you to do so?"
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on June 28th, 2014, 2:53 am

Miro was much slower than his company in his departure from the ferry. He took his time moving about, his mind ablaze with wild thought. There was a lot that had to be taught, but that was not what stole his attention. It was mostly Venser, such an odd man, but one with great potential. Yes, odd was fair, for so often he perplexed the undead. Even now, the man wasted no time, already doing things his own way.

The wizard walked past his young friend, trying not to make any snide comments. To stand on his head like that, it was strange, but certainly a way to gain a different perspective on the world. At least there was no rush. For what they wished to accomplish, well, it would take a while. They could not be in any hurry, but had to stay focused. No doubt this was Venser's way of focus.

It was not an easy thing to do, to teach well, to be a proper instructor. There was so much that had to be explained, and sometimes it was not easy to do. Especially if the student was not well versed in the ways of magic. Personal magic could be a struggle for a world wizard to grasp. Hopefully it would not be too difficult. It seemed they were ready to continue anyways.

Yes, they were ready, that was for sure. There was something about Venser that really took the Chained One back to his days of living. The way he spoke, it was completely foreign, but the way he was, it was all too familiar. "Yes, Reimancy, that's right. There is much to discuss, and the shoreline is perfect. This will take some time however. Come, walk with me. Let us start now."

Miro waved along his companion as he began to trek the coast of the lake. The smallest of waves lapped against the sandy shores and created quite the peaceful ambiance. There was a cool breeze that swept in from across the lake. It was brisk enough to refresh the Ice Reaver as his hair was swept up in the gusty currents.

"Reimancy is an elemental magic. A Reimancer first learns to create Res, a physical manifestation of your Djed. This substance works as the intermediary stage of Djed before the final transmutation into an element. It can be manipulated by the caster's will and guided before the spell is cast. This brings us to the elements themselves."

Perhaps that was a much for any to understand immediately, but a demonstration would help immensely. "There are four elements, water, fire, earth and air. A Reimancer must, after learning to produce Res, learn to transmute it to one of these elements. A novice can manage only one, but a master such as myself can use all four. Even combine them."

"This is all a lot to hear, I know, but you will soon understand. I only tell you this because merely showing you would leave you with such questions." The two continued to walk, but soon they would be far enough away from the Post to begin. "You will need to first learn to produce Res, which is no simple task. It will take time and great effort. But with my assistance you will hone your talent quickly."

Miro continued them along for just a while longer before he stopped and turned to Venser. "Okay, this is good enough." The Reimancer adjusted his stance to one of poise. He stood tall, his shoulders squared back, feet tight together, arm held out before his body. "Watch closely. I shall show you my Res. You will see a bit of what a master can do."

This was where things would get a bit complex, but the Legate was an observant one. Without doubt, the explanation in conjunction with the demonstration, it would be enough. At least enough to get a basic understanding. Djed was flown into the wizard's arm and his will kneaded it into a corporeal form.

Res leaked from the Reimancers arm and hand in two different ways. From his palm surged a thick aqua colored liquid that formed a sphere. However from his arm poured a gaseous form of the substance. It appeared translucent, almost ethereal, the wisps that flowed to circulate about the sphere. The hand was retracted, but the substance hovered still. Gravity was proven to have no effect it.

"Res is controlled by the Reimancer's will. Its state, solid, liquid or gas, can be manipulated at will." The entirety of the Res became a gas, then condensed entirely to liquid, then returned to its former mix. "So too can it be maneuvered." The substance began to orbit the undead slowly, though his body did not move. "But there is something else Res can do besides become an element."

Miro swiped his arm to the side and the orb of Res shot behind him into the water with a splash. The splash however reacted oddly. Though the waves arched up from the surface of the lake, they quickly retracted back to the surface. The wizard clenched a tight fist and reversed the movement of his arm, and the Res reacted accordingly. Though it would seem the substance was not alone anymore.

The water of the lake had attracted to the aqua colored orb that rose from the shallows of the water, the element magnetized to the Res. The spell, water and all, it returned to its original position before the Reimancer. "Res can also attract the elements, manipulate them, which has varied uses. This can be used offensively or defensively. This is a very important lesson to learn."

There were few Djed-forms as taxing on one's soul as Reimancy. The discipline had pushed countless wizards to the extreme instances of overgiving. The kind of overgiving that one was best to just die from. It also made the caster reckless, prone to friendly-fire. "Reimancy is the most taxing of the magics on the soul. By attracting Djed, we spare some of the cost." It was that simple to explain.

However the next lesson was not nearly so simple. "Though one must truly master their elements to be an effective Reimancer. Water, for instance, it can be used to put out fires, but it can do other things. For instance, I could very easily drown you right now. But there is more to it. To understand an element means to understand how it is effected by other elements." There was a simple way to show this, and water was the perfect example.

"For instance, water and fire, when combined, they make steam." An amount of the Res was flown into the mass of water and transmuted to a powerful burst of heat, enough to evaporate the liquid with an audible hiss. "But when combined with air, when cooled, it can become ice or snow." The water was further infected by Res and bits of the liquid were transmuted to a torrent tiny snowflakes that rained down.

"I as a master, I pride myself on my control of the elements. My control over them has made me mostly immune to them, and as well able to call them to aid me wherever they may exist. And, as you can see, the elements exist all around us. First you will learn to create Res, then you will learn to transmute your element, and then finally, once you have done that, I will help you to master your element. Have you any questions?"
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Venser Rush on July 1st, 2014, 4:18 am

It was a simple thing, to listen. Venser Rush had nothing but time, the learning that took place in his and Miro's last encounter was negligible, at best. Thought provoking and mind-bending, Venser quickly learned that his previous study of djed was completely and utterly limited. The fact that the djed remained within his body with the Flux, relatively unchanged, but instead transported rather than transformed made it incredibly difficult to comprehend exactly what the nature of this magic, this 'Reimancy' was. He knew what it was capable of, but the exact, present and concrete laws of its practice were foreign to him. But, as Miro explained, it became abundantly clear to the Rush twin what he was dealing with.

Venser Rush enjoyed asking questions, for it was by and far the simplest way to clarify something, but as he walked and listened, he found that with the simple conjunction of his current understanding of djed, what he had seen, and what he was being told, that he was absolutely capable of learning the basic theory of this Reimancy. His thoughts whirled as he processed Miro's words.

A magic that incorporates not the use of one single medium. Or rather, this 'Res' that he speaks of is the medium. Manipulated and guided by the caster's will. This implies that one can fully control the magic in their bodies and rather than have to push it to a destination, the djed in turn becomes manipulated by the mind. Controlled by it.

Miro's reference in our last meeting to how the Flux refers to power and this magic to control makes far, far more sense now. If there are four elements, what exactly dictates how one can learn another? And how does that transpire, exactly? Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. Four 'elements', able to be both combined and formed into one another. Miro is treating this with kid gloves because of how foreign the magic is, but... from what he says...

But before the Rush twin could continue along the lines of his thought, he was interrupted by Miro's further clarification of what he had acted upon. He referred to himself as a 'master' of the magic, which, given his knowledge regarding it and his ability to draw upon it so easily, made sense. Though, rather than dwell upon usage of a word, Venser clearly looked upon the formation of the Res and noted that rather than simply materializing from his hand, it also flowed from his arm.

Venser's thoughts were taken again as he sought to catalog the information that he was being given.

It seems that rather than being linked to particular parts of the body, as the Flux is, which limits its output to a particular area, that the Res is drawn directly from the soul. This would, in turn allow it to flow from whichever of the astral pathways. If I'm correct, then that means that this magic could be evoked from anywhere, and it permeates based on, as Miro implied, the will of the caster.

This knowledge allowed Venser to imagine the incorporation of this, then thought back to immediately what had transpired. Miro had spoken of Reimancy and initiation, then he threw his Res into Venser's wounds and sent it coursing through his body. Part of him wondered if Miro had thrown fire directly into the Rush twin's veins, but that seemed unlikely, given how he would be dead if that were the case. But, rather, he thought on something else.

Miro guided the Res through my entire body... I fell unconscious before he could finish the job, but this shows more than basic control of something. It implies more than simple direction. Weapons apply the use of basic direction giving. Absolute master of a concept or movement is more akin to an art form. Or a tool to create. It reminds me less of the Flux and more of Malediction in the exacting nature of its implementation, though it is very obviously a personal magic rather than a world magic. It's bewildering how foreign it is, yet with this... I feel that I can begin to understand.

The Rush twin then watched as Miro kneaded his Res through the three states of matter with ease, curiosity abound in his features as he noted the simple transition through the physical phasing between states. Venser, who liked to think of himself as an educated young man despite the background of deprivation of education at the hands of his father, was astounded. Verin had done his utmost to teach Venser as a child, which eventually transformed into the Rush twins learning as equals down the path to knowledge (Of course, we again diverged after that, but it is, for the moment, irrelevant.) together. But this, was utterly and as of yet, unseen.

Venser Rush looked upon the globe of Res as it was maneuvered, further proving the blonde's earlier theory of absolute control and thus proving Miro's concise, if inarticulate, wording regarding the matter. Venser felt that it was very competently explained, however, and could not think low on Miro simply for his tendency to speak plainly and for his obscured, but concluded status as an undead. The man was, after all, an effective teacher, a master wizard, and a powerful ally. But, Venser ignored his thoughts for long enough to notice that the 'Res' floated in the air. It retained its state transitions, yet through all three of them, including the solid, gravity was not incorporated into its placement. It simply... persisted.

Miro then went on to explain the concept of 'attraction'. What Miro related it to was strictly for the purpose of combat. Venser could relate to it, seeing Reimancy's capability to 'attract' the element of earth and crumble and draw forth the ground beneath their very feet. It seemed very possible given the immense amount of Reimantic potential that he had seen Miro invoke against the wolves. But, Venser, neither a soldier for the Ebonstryfe nor a man dedicating his life to the life of the sword, did not see it for that purpose.

Venser imagined the possibility of creating a place beneath the ground at Lakeshore, a laboratory or some sort of setting where he could work in peace. The Rush twin pictured the ability to use fire to burn the flesh from the bones of the dead and have an easier time working with Malediction. The blonde related the discipline to one of various and limitless utility, but he did not relate it to being used as just a weapon. Or simply a tool to show one's superiority over others. Magic was not, in his opinion, a craft devoted to showing one's superiority, but knowing it to be so. And acting upon that to shape the world around a person.

Venser imagined the Flux to be his weapon. For it was designed solely for that purpose. It stretched through the body rather than the world. It made the body a weapon of destruction and a force to be reckoned with. The art of Reimancy, by and all, seemed to make the world accessible. It made it smaller, broke it into elements that Venser or a proper Reimancer could in turn manipulate, control and shape. To leave his mark of creation rather than destruction.

When Miro showed Venser both the creation of steam and ice respectively, the snow flakes still falling low to the floor, the Rush twin perked his eyebrows with curiosity, almost compelled to step forward and look closer at the snow flakes. Venser was, however, quickly held back by Miro's explanation of how he carried out the transformation of the elements as he had before explained how he transformed Res into the primary element.

Based on Miro's articulation, Venser picked up that the creation of steam was performed by rapidly heating up the water with the use of Res transmuted into fire within the sphere. This rapid heating of water quickly and audibly boiled it, creating which led to the change of physical state of the now liquid matter: water. Conversely, he showed and explained that the creation of ice was done in a similar, but opposite fashion, with the use of the element of air. By using freezing air, the Undead slowed the progression of the movement of the water and allowed it to crystallize into snow flakes that, no longer containing Res to suspend them, fell to the ground.

"I as a master, I pride myself on my control of the elements. My control over them has made me mostly immune to them, and as well able to call them to aid me wherever they may exist. And, as you can see, the elements exist all around us. First you will learn to create Res, then you will learn to transmute your element, and then finally, once you have done that, I will help you to master your element. Have you any questions?"

Again, Venser listened to the Undead refer to himself as a Master. Then he counted himself as immune to the elements and their controller before then going on to transition Venser's involvement. He laid upon the process that they were going to undertake. First, the creation of Res. Then, the 'transmutation', which Venser correlated with the similarly pronounced word 'transformation', then the mastery of the element. It seemed to Venser like a rather simple process when underlined so concisely, but Venser knew from personal experience that magic was by no means simple.

And so, when Venser finally spoke, he did not ask questions, but instead, made statements.

"Based on the information that you've imparted upon me, I can make several conclusions. I can, firstly, assume that Reimancy, as you have insinuated in our previously encounter and plainly expressed now, is very much about the aspect of control instead of power. It involves, as you dictated, the materialization of Res from the body, pulling the djed from the depths of the soul and unleashing it from within the body's pores, which is, from my previous experience with the Flux, a stark and complete shift from the paradigm of what I previously knew of magic."

The Rush twin folded his hands together, representing the aspect of djed that he knew,

"From my previous experience with djed, it is lined through the astral pathways of the body when released from the soul, pulled along the body, siphoned into a segment or otherwise brought to a point and enhances that point of the body. This is, the Flux. I have a measure of experience in it, tutelage granted from the self and from a book that I managed to find in a shop in Syliras. The theory is absolutely different, but I can correlate it through what you have told me, instead. In truth, this Reimancy defies everything that I previously knew about djed, but seeing it with my eyes and being provided with further examples of its use have allowed to formulate what the discipline could be used for."

The Rush twin unfolded his hands, placing them at his sides as he looked upon the Undead intently, crystalline eyes setting themselves upon the odd, rather unsettling bone mask, (Most definitely a Legacy...) and continued to speak.

"There is little more that I can understand of the theory simply by listening. I feel, as you have just stated, that it is best expressed through my own, practical application into the discipline of Reimancy. Though, I would first like to ask, before you explain how the discipline is enacted, what the effects of Reimancy's overgiving can be. I have, in the past, pushed myself too far with the Flux, which is an extremely taxing discipline from what I've encountered. You state that Reimancy is all the more taxing, so I would much like to know exactly how far down the loop of insanity or destruction I am likely to go before I proceed."

Venser was nothing if not cautious. Caution would, after all, likely save his life. Wizards went down the slope of insanity far more often than the mundane, and Venser had no intention of allowing it to consume him.

One could argue that it already has.

A thought he preferred to keep to himself.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on July 16th, 2014, 9:33 pm

"You certainly can think like a wizard." Miro could not help but to mutter the comment after hearing all that Venser had to say. "And I can say you are drawing the conclusions I wish you to. However what technicalities you understand have little impact on actual performance, at least for now, while you are still a novice. The same could be said of overgiving, for you haven't even the ability to reach it with your lack of skill. However I must agree, it is best you know now."

Those who wished to learn Reimancy under Miro needed to understand the balance required to maintain control over the elements. In most cases, rather than overwhelming power, it was more about finesse, making every bit of Djed count. It was inevitable that a Reimancer would start to cross the threshold of their available Djed and step into overgiving eventually. This was why it was important to know the signs and be able to identify them.

"But more than just knowing, you need to be able to stop it from overtaking you. It is more than just being able to identify that you have exhausted your casting Djed, but as well be able to fight the Sweet Whispers, the euphoria and blood lust. It is an overwhelming power that must be balanced with control. You will learn in our training, and with it you will master Flux. And with our Flux training you will master the power of Reimancy."

The signs and effects of overgiving, well, Miro hadn't a book to tell him. Instead he had only his lifetime's training to mark the progression, and indeed there were horrific things that he had yet to experience, at least firsthand. "The most minor effects of Reimancy overgiving are the most important to watch for. As I mentioned, euphoria, desire to cast more, Sweet Whispers, a taste of blood in the mouth, shaking, racing heart, bloodshot eyes, things like that."

But there was a reason this was the most important stage. "A wizard may also start to develop a fighter's psychosis, much like in the Flux. A fixation on casting, on fighting, destroying the target. You know well how dangerous it is to be sucked into this. Control is key. As one starts to cross into the next stages of overgiving the chances of a spell going out of control increase greatly." To fall into the hallucinations of overgiving, to allow the tricks to overtake the mind, it was hard to turn back.

"The next stage of overgiving is a quite bit more serious, and at this point, despite the harsh consequences, it is harder to stop than one might think. The body may begin to tear and manifest wounds spontaneously. As well causeless pain may strike at random. Tremors may turn into full seizures, psychosis may sever all contact with reality. And to go beyond this, well, there is not much I can tell you of this. Much of it I can only speculate on."

Even at the more moderate levels of overgiving, some of that was only experienced in another. A time or two the wizard had overstepped and crossed into that dangerous territory of severe overgiving, but most who did were not so lucky as to survive. In many cases they were best dead anyways. "I have seen people who go beyond this lose consciousness and struggle for their lives, began to cough up blood, have their bodies torn asunder. Death is almost inevitable at this point."

Though there was one key trait that overgiving between the Flux and Reimancy shared. It caused the caster to lose sight of allies and become reckless. "The most important part of using either the Flux or Reimancy however is to remain conscious of yourself, your allies and your target at all times. To focus on any one too intently is a trap, a loss of balance. Both magics cause you to become reckless, to lose control of your actions and your spells. The mind becomes fixated, and that is the ultimate trap."

And that was about it for the overgiving, all the master knew at least. "I am sure there is a lot more that can happen to a wizard who pushes beyond his means, but that is all I can say for sure. There is an infinite number of possibilities, though those are the most common." And with that out of the way it meant they could move onto the process of Res creation. The long process that it was. There were steps to be taken, things to understand, but through practice it had become quite the refined process.

"This is the easy part for me, because this is all about you here. I can guide you a bit, but results are ultimately up to you. You will need to meditate to find the ability to produce Res. It is an instinct already within you. You must transmute your Djed, tarnish your soul, turn it into something foreign. You must envision your soul separating from your body, imagine it transmuted into Res. Everyone's will look unique. You will have to search within yourself to find it. This will take some time. Do begin when you are ready."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Venser Rush on July 17th, 2014, 3:50 am

The Rush twin did not appreciate being coddled, but it was as Miro said. Magic was not something that could be... rushed. It required concentration and wit to be used safely. Venser listened first to Miro's advice regarding the overgiving that transpired with Reimancy. For the most part, it seemed like it was the same as the Flux. Or, at the very least, very similar. Magic felt good to use, a pleasure much more powerful and compelling than that of the physical world. Venser Rush delved into the former much more often, the latter done when he had the time or desire to break himself from the magicks that had consumed his existence. The Flux filled his dreams, the magic flowed into his thoughts. Malediction haunted him, the concepts and intricacies of the art weaving a web of possibilities, explored, unknown and mysterious in nature. Everything else was secondary.

And Miro gave him a new thing to consider. A new thing to explore. A new thing to learn. For Venser, knowledge was an obsession, dissected, disassembled, then reassembled and re-ordered with his mind. Venser nodded as Miro stated that he had drawn the conclusions that he expected, knowing himself to be more intelligent than Miro likely expected. The Rush twin paused in thought for a moment before re-shifting his attention towards the Undead. He went on about the Flux and Reimancy, going back to his philosophy of power and control without quite mentioning it, and the blonde could not help but agree.

Reimancy is control from what I've learned of it. The Flux, I've known for quite a while, is power. The two in combination would create a warrior of incredible power. And if I must become a warrior in order to become a Legate, then I will do so. There is nothing that will get in the way of knowledge. Not weakness. Not Fate. Not Miro. I will persevere and overstep the boundaries of the mundane to become transcendent.

The Rush twin smirked inwardly before he continued to process what Miro was saying. The more serious steps of overgiving were even more reminiscent of the Flux. Venser knew what it was to feel the pain of overgiving. He had felt djed spike through his body and tear at his musculature. What Miro referred to, while distinct, was not entirely foreign. Seizures, twitching, spontaneous wounds, mental psychosis. It was all a plague that affected the mind, body, but most importantly, the very soul. The Rush twin pursed his lips, but he did not stray away from Miro. He did not shy away from the lecture because of fear.

It is only through change, through transformation... through overcoming the boundaries that the mundane set for man that a transcendent feeling is formed. It is only through breaching the foundations of what one has known and what one does not understand that a person ascends their state. And I, at the hands of Transformation have already been risen anew. And I, as the the heir of Transformation, will press forward. I... will not be lost.

Miro had finished speaking, and the Rush twin processed his words, continuously. He repeated them in his mind, blazed them within his thoughts. Committing them to memory, Venser Rush closed his eyes, the words stirring in his thoughts.

Consciousness... Focus... Fixation.

Ruin. Revelation. Power. Control.

Knowledge Understanding Realization.

TranscendenceVictoryTransformation...

Thoughts whirled further and further into the blonde's thoughts before he sealed them. Entirely. His eyes closed as he followed Miro's instructions, delving past the insistence of his thoughts. Breaching deeper into himself. The process took several chimes, but eventually, he would become closed off to the extent that he no longer heard the sounds that entered his ears and were registered by his brain. He was directed inward. Into the soul.

Venser poured into the understanding of his djed. He pulled at the tapestry of his djed. It swelled as he pulled at it, elation rising in the depths of his thoughts as pleasure rolled through his body. However, he did not feel the sensation. He was beyond it. He pulled further at the weave of his djed but did not yet direct it. And it was only when he pulled deeply enough into the very reaches of his soul that, in his mind, he saw a veiled, silvery wisp. He reached out for it, pulling upon the wisp, but it did not grip. His lips would purse in frustration as he reached deeper, pulling harder upon the illusory wisp.

He repeated the process three times in turn until he finally found that the wisp had gained substance. Given form, it had turned into a ribbon. The Rush twin pulled at the ribbon, seizing it. Pressure built at the tips of his left hand as he pulled harder upon the ribbon. He tore at it, seizing it, desperation present within his thoughts.

Give... GIVE. NOW!

And it was with the last tug that he tore the ribbon from its leash. A single wisp of silver Res flowed from his palms, the Rush twin's spine coursing with a deep, unfamiliar chill as his eyes parted. He gasped in surprise as he noted the ribbon that he had been reaching for float from his hands and hover in place before his eyes, astonishment present in his expression.

"This... is it."

Complete astonishment rose in the Rush twin's features as he stared at the wispy, floating ribbon that hovered in front of his face. He noted that it did not move in the slightest, Venser attempting to command it to no avail. Another frown pursed his lips as he realized that the wisp of Res scattered in the wind and surrendered to its flow.

And with that, it was gone.

"How... how do I do it again?"

He had to know.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on July 29th, 2014, 5:54 am

Miro did not expect much, but was curious to try to understand Venser. The way he performed his magic, what he felt, his method of casting. Of course the answer to this was Auristics, but there was more to understanding. To see an aura, it allowed insight, not understanding. It helped a lot, but to understand one needed more. Empathy, to be able to comprehend, to feel as they did somewhere deep down. Such a thing was lost on the undead.

Yes, to try to understand another's feelings, it could be done. Even the Chained One could understand simple things. He knew how pain and happiness felt, desire and fear, so many things. He knew how to use these things to influence actions, push a person to do things they wouldn't normally. But to understand what made a person deny these influences, to push beyond temptation, that was something else. Something that was lost to the wizard the further he strayed from his humanity.

But Venser, no, he was not like these people. He was not the type to be easily guided by Hypnotism, nor did he seem the type to hinge on these deep emotions. He was unique, brilliant and primal both. There was a time that Miro was met with people similar, but never quite the same. Even then, when he still had some grasp on the depths of emotion, he could not understand. There were just things that escaped him, and it was okay. But was still okay?

The Aurist focused his will and tapped into the Djed in his soul. He heightened his senses, reached himself out spiritually to Venser. He began to attune his aura to the man before him attempting to cast. There was an obvious magical presence in the air, thicker than one would expect from a wizard of Venser's caliber. Faint distortions in the air began to thicken and take form. The aura manifested before him with brilliant color and shape.

Miro stared long at the man, into his aura. To catch a glimpse of the soul was still a taxing process for the wizard, but one not nearly as stressful as it once had been. This however was an exception, for there was a torrent of information overwhelming his mind. The aura, it manifested in dark tones, but shone brilliantly. And its shape was just as unusual, tight to his form, yet it swirled about him.

So much feeling, so much activity, too much at once. The wizard could not handle it, he closed his Auristic sense off. He shut his senses away as best as he could, but still his mind burned with the glimpse he took. It as if he had stared at the sun, yet he was not sure why. When the darkness in his vision faded, he caught a glimpse of something amazing. The apprentice Reimancer had created Res for the first time.

There was truth hidden in this young man. A realization that still eluded Miro. Every wizard had their own drive that fueled their will and gave them the potential to cast magic. To see Venser create a wisp of Res so quickly, it was astounding. It was nearly frightening, in truth. Not impossible, far from it, but rare. The drive that pushed a man so quickly down this path must be great. Greater than any rational person would allow themselves to channel.

To try to give name to the emotion that the Aurist sensed, it was beyond him to do so. All he knew was that it burned like a great fire within him. Yes, Venser was a rare breed, that was certain. Normally people did not push so hard without yield. They took things easily, especially in the pursuits of magic. So afraid of being burned that they threw sand on their fires. This was a great accomplishment for the apprentice, but as well a great warning for the master.

"Venser, you frighten me." It was not a correct answer to the question asked. "Calm yourself, gather your mind, reflect on what you've done." It was closer, but not yet an answer befitting a master. "Meditate, understand the process, what it took. Run it through your mind, feel it again. But as you feel it, do not let it consume you. You must consume it instead. You must take everything that led to the creation of Res and concentrate it, channel it."

Miro took to his bag and pulled forth a few materials he used for Glyphing. A brush and inscribing paint primarily, but as well he took his red paint and a smaller brush too. "Take and channel everything through your hands. But first, let me ease the process, let me Glyph them for you." He took his materials and readied them for the construction of focus runes. These would greatly ease the process of casting.

The Glypher all but forced his way upon the apprentice. He turned the hands palms up and began with a design on each hand in black paint. A patterning of swirled lines that intersected at various points and latticed into grand design. This took a bit of time, and by the time the second hand was finished, the first was dry. Now he switched brushes and paints, the smaller brush and red paint.

A memory drew Miro's mind back, to a time and place where he was the apprentice. He could now understand the mix of fear and pride his mother must have felt. To have such a promising a magical student, yet to see their potential ruin. It was that unwavering devotion that would trump caution at times and lead to overgiving. Miro would not make the same mistake his mother did, Venser would not rampage due to overgiving.

Now he painted in red atop the black a shape on Venser's right hand. He drew a large square and diamond posed around a central point. It became a large octagram that took up the entirety of the palm. In each of the points he painted a letter to spell out the word, "powerful". And in the center octagon he wrote the word, "force". "This hand will represent your power, it is where you will focus your Djed."

The Glypher now turned his attention to the other hand and refreshed his red paint. He painted a large triangle that took up the entirety of the palm, then drew another inverted triangle within it. In each of the three points he drew a letter that spelled the word, "all". Then within the inverted triangle he wrote the word, "controlling." And with that the Channeling Glyph was completed. "And this shall be your control. Use this hand to steady the Djed that is exuded from your other hand."

And now there was only Venser and his pursuits into magic. That and the advice of his teacher. "Venser, you have a great willpower that gives you great focus and potential. But you have such a powerful drive that without control you will become pure destruction." This came from personal experience. "It is fine to be destructive, but it must be channeled. Tap into your desire for Reimancy, but use the discipline you have learned to channel it into a spell between your hands."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Venser Rush on July 30th, 2014, 1:34 am

"Do I, really? I should be saying that about you, Miro. Control over the elements is not a paltry thing. You have mastery over a power that I scarcely understand. I am calm, but I am not going to shy away from the furthering of knowledge and surrender to cowardice simply because of the dangers of magic. I bear the scars of my sacrifice for knowledge. I will not have them be in vain."

The Rush twin both appreciated and despised Miro's caution for him. One, it showed that the Undead valued his life, which meant that he would continue to the Undead and that Miro would continue to teach him. But, the appreciation was tempered with frustration due to the Rush twin finding it to be utterly unnecessary. Venser understood all too well of the risks of losing oneself to magic. He had experienced it. He lived it. But, he would never fear it. Then, Miro did something unexpected: he nearly accosted him. Discomfort was replaced by curiosity when the Undead raised Venser's hands and began to work on them.

Venser looked down upon his hands after Miro painted upon them, intrigue cast upon his features as he struggled to understand what the meanings of the markings were. Painted upon his flesh in black and then in red, it looked as if Venser had the surface of his skin prepared to a live practice of Malediction. But to ascertain this was a stupid thing to do. Miro had clearly used the word 'Glyphing', curiosity set upon the Rush twin's features as he studied them in turn. Distinct from circles or shapes similar to such, it took form as swirling sigils cast upon his flesh, lines that intersected in a strange, indecipherable medium. Venser had no ability to read what was placed upon his hands, and pursed his lips in frustration. It was until he took the time to digest Miro's words that he found that he should be focusing less on the nature of the so-called 'Glyphs' upon his hands and much more so upon the craft of Reimancy.

Miro had stated that the Glyphs would make it easier. He suggested for Venser to reflect and consider upon what he had done to make the wisp of Res materialize in the first place. Then he added upon it, cautioning and advising Venser to move forth cautiously so that he did not become what he titled as 'pure destruction.' The wording was rather dramatic in nature and perhaps a bit elementary for Venser's taste, but he heeded it nonetheless. His left hand, deemed that of control, was placed above his right, his arm bent at the elbow, his upper arm stretching forward. His left hand faced slightly into his chest, so that palms were approximately eight inches from one another. Venser's right hand, titled as 'Powerful', hung lower. His shoulder was still and relaxed, his elbow bent to bring his arm forward. Venser closed his eyes, and in doing so, attempted to close the world away once again.

The world went black and as Venser again tugged at the weave of his djed, eliciting the fabrics of his very soul to weave from the astral pathways, he sought to elicit it from his right hand. Venser noted that the ribbon materialized in his mind much, much faster than before, clearly shaped, ethereal. It seemed to vibrate within the blonde's thoughts, solidifying as Venser delved deeper into his mind. A chime passed as Venser dove into the weave of his thoughts, clouded, muffled words heard in the background of the singular, vibrant image that haunted him. The Res taunted him in its perfection, the silver ribbon growing larger and Venser reached out to grab it. He struggled twice, failing both times only to grip it at the third time, pulling at it in his thoughts and eliciting it.

Venser felt warmth build at his right hand as a deep, powerful chill cascaded down his spine. Satisfaction curled his lips as he felt the Res flow freely from his palm. A gaseous fog, approximately the size of his hand, flowed from his right hand, and with it, Venser ceased the delving deeply into his soul. He wanted to elicit more, do more. He felt the presence of desire flooding his mind, but he closed himself off to it, physically shaking his head to banish the whispers that clouded his judgement before he moved his left hand. His thoughts triggered the movement of the Res, the silvery gas cloaking his left hand, sluggish in its movement, but the control and connection were both clearly felt in Venser's mind. He had, with Miro's guidance, tamed the Res rather than allowing it to flee from him and disperse. Venser looked to Miro, a grin cast upon his features as he asked of his mentor,

"What do I do next? How do I make this 'Res' turn into the elements that you have shown me?"

Miro had explained the process earlier, but actually doing it was completely different than discussing theory. Venser made sure to keep his thoughts on the Res that cloaked his hand, taking care not to loose his grip upon it. He HAD to make sure that it stayed with him. He had to ensure that it was his to control and not the other way around. Venser sought victory by means of knowledge and power. And he kept his ears open to Miro, the 'man' who made it possible for him to do so.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Nemesis on November 9th, 2014, 8:57 am

Thread Grade Pending

Greetings! If either of you return to us, fling me a PM and your grade will be posted for this thread.

Thank ye,

-Nemesis
Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)