Closed The Ackbar Problem

[Fallon]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

The Ackbar Problem

Postby Zandelia on April 25th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Lips curled slightly at the mention of teaching, it was an ironic one that made her both happy and sad. It was not that she had a problem with being taught but the notion that she was wrong and needed correcting. She let it slide past, there was no use in arguing - they both held strong ideals that she doubted would give in even if they shouted the air hoarsely from their lungs. Still, she had been asked for her input and listened to Fallon’s with slow blinking, lining up the points and considering them. Feeling them out before responding. She had been hired as an advisor and assistant firstly and gained more after a struggle. She couldn’t help but still cling to the idea that she was useful and knowledgeable enough to still advise at times.

“I don’t disagree with your observations Bitzer, I just think that some things are better left buried. I don’t know why they became disused but in a city of greed I will assume it was for a good reason - if forgotten,” she spoke slowly, cautiously, “uncovering the truth and…teaching…may end up being something to regret. The people don’t care about it, refuse to even go near it most days. I am not wise but even I know that tales have truth to them. We might not like what we find if we open them” she shrugged.

“But I think we should leave it for now. Something more practical and less conflicting to start with…river defenses. Yes. That is an idea everyone can get behind. I thank you for your offer of aid, I will call upon you perhaps when I am ready” she closed the discussion neatly, she didn’t want to digress into a heated exchange.

She smiled genuinely at the admission of ignorance, just before feigning a shocked open mouthed expression as if the world had just become unrecognizable. She was useful after all, even if it were in the realm of numbers. She knew little enough herself but to be able to teach the other she would learn quickly, attempt to devour the book and obtain another couple as soon as she could. She had many Bells of relaxation within which to do so after all. She locked her gaze to Fallon’s, expression still plastered upon her face as best she could as teasing mirth vied for the conquering.

“You…you know something less than me? Gods forbid! I- I’m…I couldn’t resist” she chuckled deeply, “of course I will. It’s what I’m here for, well one of the reasons. To help” she finished as she turned and finally made her way towards the door.

The exchange for the book copying she left to the other, she was a good negotiator even when under stress and she fancied that she would get a decent price. Remmy was a hard woman at times but she knew knowledge needed to be shared and so gave it away at discounted pricelist. Few enough came to her that every one that did she attempted to lure into her world. Zandelia doubted that much cajoling would be required, if any. It was a short time of waiting, spent in contemplation of the teasing words. She knew the importance of their tasks, the work. Yet distraction loomed all too avidly. There was not so much a balance at the moment as there was a pendulum. One day spent in work, the next in play.

Something to develop over time, perhaps… she told herself, wondering just how long it would take - she hoped quite some time indeed. Precious were the Bells spent in exploration and enjoyment of character.

“And lose the opportunity to see you bedazzle the docks?” she responded as she pushed the doors open with her foot and stepped forth into the half-blinding light of the afternoon, “but a ribbon would do so much to enchance th-” she didn’t finish, the swift shadow in her peripherals and she ducked as hands flashed to the tonfa upon her right hip.

“It’s a-” she tried to get the warning but other shapes were coalescing out of the fading flare of new light and words could wait.

Fingers curled around handles, gaze quickly shifting right before head tilted left to see she had potential enemies on both sides. The only advantage was that they had expected to take her with one strike and so had not been fully ready. There was a delay and distance on the left. Right arm snapped forwards to drive the butt into the right’s gut as the left swept out and across to flick outwards, arcing to strike what she thought was jawbone and rebounding slightly with the impact. She accepted the bounce, used it as the beginnings of momentum she stepped forwards and to left a pace.

Left came around and right swept in the other direction, feet shifting as she crouched still. Ankles crossed as tonfa became fully extended to create the circular scything of dulled weaponry. Speed, agility is what she possessed rather than brute strength. Left smacked into the back of a knee of the first and right slammed into kneecap of the second. Following through past the crunching of bone and the collapsing of tendons as footing of the enemy was lost and they crashed to the floor. She continued the spin so that she was facing away from the doors of the Library - Fallon was more than able of conducting herself with success she knew.

Another came in with a downwards crashing of a club, tonfa crossed to form the shape of a cross and blocked it halfway down the weapon. Leg flashed out to crash against the side of a knee and she shifted her arms to the right to push the weapon away. Foot found floor once more and she brought the upper tonfa, the left, back against itself to smack into a bulbous nose that caved and splattered as red shower as the enemy fell backwards.

She turned to her right and brought up her tonfa, lined against her forearm to accept the impact of another blunt instrument, she couldn’t tell what type at this speed. Arm numbed, and was pushed back into her chest painfully as her strength failed the block but slip it towards her elbow enough that it slammed into her hip instead of her head. Pain blossomed and she staggered sideways, a wild swing at the shadow that hit but didn’t incapacitate. Another shadow loomed behind her and the world flashed.

Pain didn’t exist anymore, unconsciousness slammed into her and she could fight no more. She had failed and left Fallon on her own. She had disabled three, injured a forth but it wasn’t enough.

She had failed. Again.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Ackbar Problem

Postby Fallon on April 25th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Happy chatter, pleasant talking and words. It was going to be a good day, a healthy mixture between work and play. Or at least that was what Fallon saw it as. Even as the teasing tones and the discussions twisted and changed, potential disagreements on plans that then died down once more to the embers below. There was no need for such things in great deals, it would only ruin the mood. Besides, the pair were enjoying themselves with all the suggestive distractions. But, with focus Fallon no doubt would have been able to concentrate just a little while longer - to grasp upon the raw principles of what she wanted to achieve and write them down.

"Well, as you wish. Just for a little while then," She gave a playful nudge, "Best be ready to take no-"

Fallon did not gain the opportunity to finish. It was the alarm of Zandelia that pushed her into action, the acknowledgement that something was amiss. The swarming of bodies, the whipping crack of tonfa as they were pulled free - and it was instinct that sent Fallon down to the kukri first and then the shorter tulwar second. Animated, she thought only to break out of the space behind her partner, to fight back no matter what. They were in danger, she was the shield - she had to fight.

A club swung at her, a crunch of wood against her arm as the gaps were closed. Retaliation came the swarm closing in seeping through the gaps and looking to separate. Consume, split, divide and conquer. It was a good tactic if she ever knew one. The right gave a stab, kurki whipping round to push the club away. Space, she needed more space to draw her tulwars and use them effectively - even she knew that. She heard the beating of weapons, of clubs and blunts striking against bones and flesh. Zandelia was fast, she could sense that now - skilled and knowing of her tools. But what worried her was the separation, even as an enemy was send crashing to the floor.

Her pulse began to rise, a forced start into fighting. A shout, a cry as she wildly slashed the kukri round, a deep carve into the one who was before her as another smashed his weapon against her. The blade slipped from her grasp, a clatter as it crashed to the floor and the club swung round to meet her gut. A rush of air, a rattling dirge as she felt the fingers try to grasp upon her hair. A snap, a curl up as she slashed the tulwar out with all her might. She heard a sickening crunch, her form ripping free as the scene blurred before her. She watched the woman crumple, caught and trapped as she tried to fight back.

"Zandelia!" she roared. Secrecies did not matter at present, not when there was too much danger on the line. A stagger, a swing, a snapping snarl as she thrust the tulwar forward into the back of the one closest to her. A scream, a gurgle of pain as she felt the blunt implement crack against her temple. She saw them grab and grasp, the same weapon come swinging round to catch her in the abdomen. The tulwar was released, her knees buckling as she continued her struggling.

Fight, survive, protect. Teeth gritted, eyes burned with fury, a snarl escaping as she tried to clamber up. A kick into the side, the loss of air as the scene flickered from view. Fingers clenched the earth, that final push up, that final scream as she watched the other be claimed and dragged. A forced separation between them. That strain, the wide eyed look as she clawed forward. The cheek met the ground, noise failing as she blinked and tried to hold onto something, anything.

Weak, it hurt. It stung, it consumed her with that burning pain. The hand gave a shoot forward, the cold embrace of the earth opening up before her, that final choking gasp. Inky black consumed her vision.

She had failed.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Ackbar Problem

Postby Ablation on May 26th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Fallon :
Experience:
    Tactics +3
    Philosophy +4

Lores:
    Library: History Section
    Sunberth Loathes Mages
    Sunberth Once Ruled By A Mage
    Rebellion is Freedom
    Fear Surrounds the Mines
    Mines Closed Too Long Ago To Remember Reasons
    Castle Commons was once Gilders Nook
    Zandelia: Change Through Eduction Is Unwise

Other:
    -10GM Mathematics: An Introduction to Numbers by Narrick Jolstane
    -10GM Ordreck and Olfsten: Myths of Sunberth

Zandelia :
Experience:
    Tactics +3
    Deduction +1
    Philosophy +4

Lores:
    How to Browse a Library
    The Tale of Ordreck and Olfsten
    Castle Commons was once Gilders Nook
    Fallon: Change Through Education

Please don't be afraid to PM me with any questions ^-^ and please don't forget to remove your grading request from the list to keep My office spick and span.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous