[Verified by Radiant] Valien Altare

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Valien Altare

Postby Valien on May 31st, 2014, 5:47 pm

Valien Altare

Appearance

Race: Human
Birthday: 49th of Autumn, 484 AV

Scars and Marks

Lacun Mark
Valien's Lacun mark is just over his heart. It's a shadowy pattern that looks like smoke, and is identical to the Cheva mark he once had on the left side of his neck while married to Avenna, except instead of being silver, as it was then, it's a dull gray.

Personality

There are two components to Valien's personality, the face he shows everyone, and the face he hides. On the outside, Valien appears to be cheerful, friendly, and outgoing, quick with a smile and a joke, witty, roguish, and occasionally insouciant. He's spent years cultivating this 'lovable rogue' persona, and has become quite good at it. In reality, though, while that side of himself does have aspects of his true personality, after everything that's happened in the past year, Valien is a wreck. He isn't sure what to do, isn't sure of himself, is still very much in mourning for Avenna, and only the knowledge that Serah needs him keeps him going on, striving to get through each day and to forge a better life for her.

The real Valien, underneath the smiles and jokes and brave face he puts on for his daughter, is depressed, scared, guilt-ridden, and determined to do anything to protect his little girl. Valien's character is currently very much in flux, not even he knows who he'll be by the time his life settles down again.

History

Valien Altare was born and raised in Ravok. Growing up poor and wanting to escape that lifestyle, he turned his attention towards criminal activities from a young age, falling pretty easily into organized crime. As a teenager, Valien's talents for stealth and the knife were quickly noted by the other members of his gang, and he was encouraged to train as an assassin. By the time he was twenty, Valien had built up a small, not very noticeable but still promising reputation as an assassin for his organization. And for the most part, he was happy with that, until he met Avenna.

Avenna was an herbalist, an ordinary citizen of Ravok just starting to take over her family's trade. The two of them fell in love quickly, as the young are wont to do, although Valien kept the darker parts of his life secret from her. To her, he explained that he was a hunter, an excuse that covered both his odd hours and his penchant for being away from home for a few days at a time. Though Avenna had her suspicions, and Valien was sure that she didn't fully buy his story, she never said anything, and he never really knew whether or not she discovered the truth. Their love affair escalated until Avenna found herself pregnant, and he married her.

Seraven Altare was born just after Valien's 21st birthday, and Valien found himself instantly enthralled with his daughter. The family lived pretty much happily for the next eight years, with Valien keeping his life secret from his wife and daughter. But unknown to him, Avenna was keeping a secret of her own, one of rebellion.

Valien had never given much of a thought to the darker aspects of his city, but when Avenna was captured, tortured, and executed for ties to the Rising Dawn in the Winter of 513, he found himself thinking about such things rather quickly. Using all of his training in stealth, Valien quickly smuggled himself and Serah out of the city, the two of them struggling for the next season and a half to make their way across Mizahar, usually by joining other traveling groups under false names and pretenses. Valien spent the time traveling to teach Serah the importance of keeping things secret, of watching and waiting, and of being able to defend herself.

But Mizahar's wilds are harsh on everyone, children most of all. When Serah got sick late in Spring, Valien knew that they had to settle somewhere. Syliras was the closest town to them at the time, and so Syliras was where they ended up. Valien had never given a thought to "going straight" before, but with an eight-year-old child in tow, and a life of secrets behind him, it was starting to look like Syliras would be a good place to make a fresh start.

Inventory

Clothing :
  • Set of Simple Clothing
    -Shirt
    -Pants
    -Undergarments
    -Cloak
    -Boots

Supplies :
  • Waterskin
  • Backpack which contains:
    -Comb (Wood)
    -Brush (Wood)
    -Soap
    -Razor
  • Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
  • 1 eating knife
  • Flint & Steel

Important Items :
  • A simple gold ring that belonged to his wife. Valien wears it on a chain around his neck, and plans to give it to Serah when she is older. (Heirloom)
  • 1 Assassin's Dagger
  • 2 Wrist Knives

Ledger

Purchase Cost Total
Starting +100 GM 100 GM
Valien's Weapons - 6 GM 94 GM
Serah's Supplies -8 GM, 2 SM, 5 CM 85 GM, 7 SM, 5 CM

Skills

Skill EXP Total Proficiency
Weapon: Dagger (+27 SB) 27 Competent
Intelligence (+15 RB) 15 Novice
Wilderness Survival (+13 SB) 13 Novice
Stealth (+10 SB) 10 Novice
Observation (+3) 3 Novice
Socialization (+3) 3 Novice
Rhetoric (+2) 2 Novice
Land Navigation (+2) 2 Novice
Endurance (+1) 1 Novice
Interrogation (+1) 1 Novice
Investigation (+1) 1 Novice

Languages

Fluent: Common

Lores

Cheva's Mark: Mark Of Matrimony
Lore of Ravok Layout
Lore of Ravok Culture
Ser Bastion: Quartermaster Knight of the Garrison
Weapon: Tanto
Weaponry: Clove Oil Is Used To Maintain Exotic Blades

Threads

Summer 514 AV

Flashbacks :
Last edited by Valien on June 16th, 2014, 11:24 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Box code by Cylos Marn
Valien
Player

Words: 41501
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 6:31 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Valien Altare

Postby Valien on May 31st, 2014, 6:08 pm

NPC

Seraven "Serah" Altare

Appearance

Birthday: 87th of Winter, 505 AV

Personality

Seraven started life as a cheerful, carefree child, always excited, and always ready with a word of comfort or a new game to play. But her mother's death, her flight from Ravok, and her father's change in behavior have changed her in recent years. Serah is much more perceptive than her father gives her credit for, and after seeing how hard her father is working to keep her safe, has taken it upon herself to take care of him in her own way. The events she's gone through have forced her to mature beyond her years, and there are moments where she definitely does not act like a child. She's started hiding her own discomfort and fears to not make her father worry, and has become determined to put on a brave face no matter what happens. She doesn't smile and laugh as much as she used to, but neither does she act depressed or angry, and often tries to comfort her father in her own way.

She does miss her mother terribly, and has been known to cry when her father is not around, or in her sleep, much to Valien's chagrin. She's definitely inherited her parents' talent for keeping secrets. While Serah is polite to everyone, recent events have made her wary and watchful, and she tends to be withdrawn and distrustful of people who are not her father.

History

Serah was born in Ravok, and spent her first eight years of life living a mostly carefree existence as the young child of parents who were not poor and not rich. She didn't know that both of her parents were living double lives, and didn't particularly care, as long as they came home each day and showered her with love and affection, which they did. She grew up cheerful and carefree, but her life changed when her mother was taken from her, and her father whisked her out of the city that same night, thrusting the two of them out into the wilds in an act of desperation that nearly killed them both. Would have, if they hadn't run into a group of traveling merchants and been absorbed into their company under false names.

Since then, Serah has learned a lot about the world, and about the secrets her father has been keeping from her. She's become a diligent student in the art of keeping things hidden, and has even started learning to defend herself along the way. After getting sick in the spring and recovering (though for a while, Valien was worried she wouldn't), the two of them settled in Syliras, a new place for her, and a place that honestly terrifies her. Serah is determined to put on a brave face, though, and to make the most of her life here, in a way that doesn't make her father worry.

Her life has only begun.

Inventory

Clothing :
Note: All Serah's clothes are child-sized and base price.
  • 1 Shirt
  • 1 Pair of Pants
  • 1 Pair of Boots
  • 1 Dress
  • 1 Jacket
  • 1 Pair of Shoes
  • Undergarments

Supplies :
  • Backpack
  • Hairbrush
  • Soap

Important Items :
  • 1 Wrist Knife

Skills

Skill Total Proficiency
Wilderness Survival 10 Novice
Stealth 10 Novice
Observation 5 Novice
Weapon: Dagger 5 Novice

Languages

Fluent: Common
Box code by Cylos Marn
Valien
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Valien Altare

Postby Valien on June 3rd, 2014, 12:49 am

Character Development Questions

General Information :
1. What is your Name?
2. Do you go by a nickname or pet name?
3. How old are you?
4. What is your height?
5. What is your weight?

Aesthetics :
1. Describe yourself as you see yourself.
2. Describe yourself as others typically see you.
3. What is your favorite body feature?
4. How physically fit are you?
5. How do you typically dress and what is your style?

Family :
1. Who are your parents and what are they like?
2. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
3. What is your extended family like?
4. Do you consider close friends as important or more/less important than family?
5. Do you treat animals like family?

2. Where do you live now?
3. If you could live anywhere in Mizahar where would that be?
4. Do you have a favorite place to vacation or spend leisure time?
5. Where do you fear to be? Ravok. The thought of going back there terrifies me now.

Traits :
1. Do you have any physical weaknesses (disease, scars, and missing limbs?)
2. Are you right handed or left handed?
3. What languages do you speak? What do you sound like? Do you have an accent?
4. Do you have any odd mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
5. Do you have (or want to get) any tattoos or piercing? Why do you have them (or will get them) ?

Occupations :
1. What is your occupation?
2. Do you like/dislike your work? Why?
3. If you could be anything you wanted to, what would you be?
4. What occupation do you admire the most? Why?
5. What occupation do you lest like? Why?

Childhood :
1. What sort of child were you?
2. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
3. What is your worst memory from childhood?
4. What sort of relationship did you have with your parents?
5. Who was your most influential rolemodel?

Education :
1. What sort of education do you have?
2. Do you like/dislike learning?
3. Where or how did you learn most of your skills/abilities?
4. How do you learn best?
5. What are your educational goals for the future?

Relationships :
1. Do you form close bonds with people? Why? Why not?
2. Do you trust people easily? If not, why not?
3. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else? I can conclusively say that I am straight. Please don't ask me how I know.
4. Have you ever been kissed? If so, describe the first time.
5. Have you ever had sex? If so, describe the first time. Well, erm...I have a child, so I certainly hope so. First time? Well, there was this—shall we call her a lady of the night?—at the House of Immortal Pleasures, and...wait, is Serah reading this? Serah, honey, if you're reading this, it was your mother and we definitely waited until our wedding night (we did not).

Drugs and Alcohol :
1. Have you ever been drunk? If so, describe your first time. I would happily describe it if I could remember it. As it is, all I can tell you is that Ravok's canals are not for swimming in, and Ravosalamen get annoyed when you vomit all over their boats.
2. Do you like to drink on a regular basis? I used to. Now that I'm caring for a child, though, I don't drink as often.
3. What sort of alcohol do you prefer? Gods, I don't care. On some days, when I feel like being 'refined', I'll pretend I do. On most, whatever gets the job done.
4. Have you ever tried drugs (mood altering substances)? If so, which kinds and what did you think of them? As the parent of a young impressionable child, I reserve the right to not answer this question. (The answer is yes).
5. What do you think of drugs and alcohol? Be specific. Do what you want, don't hurt anyone with what you do. I'm not someone who can judge people for their vices, but if your drunkenness hurts my daughter in any way, I can promise you that you will be sorry.

Likes and Dislikes :
1. What are your hobbies?
2. Do you like to read?
3. What annoys you more than anything else?
4. What do you find the most relaxing activity to do?
5. What kinds of things embarrass you? Why?

Favorites :
1. What is your favorite color or colors?
2. What is your favorite time of day?
3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
4. What do you like to eat? What do you hate to eat?
5. What is your favorite type of weather? Does any kind scare you?

Outlook :
1. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
2. What are your religious views?
3. Would you be able to kill? Yes. Easily. Although you'll find I'm a little more...selective than I used to be.
4. What are your views on sex? Do whatever you want, as long as it's consensual and doesn't hurt anyone else. Unless 'whatever' is Serah. In that case, may I refer you to the question above?
5. What, in your opinion, makes a successful life?

Actions :
1. What is the worst and best thing you’ve ever done?
2. What is your greatest regret? When they took my wife away, I had two choices. I could leave the city with my daughter and maybe survive, or I could try to rescue her and definitely die. I chose to live. There's not a day that goes by when I don't wonder whether or not I made the right choice. Maybe I could have done something. Maybe I could have saved her. I see Serah alive and happy and tell myself I made the right choice. But I suppose I'll always wonder.
3. What is your best/worst memory?
4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why? I would have paid closer attention. If I had known that Avenna was doing what she did, maybe all three of us would be alive in Syliras today.
5. What are you the most proud of doing in your life? There's not a lot in my life that I'm proud of. But Serah's turning into a good kid. If anything, I'm proud of her.

Emotions :
1. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings with others?
2. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
3. What makes you happy?
4. Who or what, if anything, would you die for? I would have died for Avenna. I chose to live for Serah. I suppose I'd die for her too.
5. What makes you angry?

Relationships :
1. In general, how do you treat others?
2. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
3. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
4. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If not, describe an ideal lover.
5. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why

Group Situations :
1. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
2. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
3. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
4. Do you care what others think of you?
5. What do you think of others, in general?

Self Image :
1. What is your greatest strength as a person?
2. What is your greatest weakness?
3. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
4. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
5. Are you generally organized or messy?

Beliefs :
1. What God or Goddess do you find most appealing, if any? I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out myself.
2. Which God or Goddess do you fear, if any? Rhysol. I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to leave Ravok, and now that I know what I know...well, I'll be lying low on this side of eternity.
3. Do you have any Gnosis Marks? If so, how did you receive them? The only gods that would want me are the ones I want nothing to do with anymore.
4. What lengths would you go to to please your deity? I suppose I wouldn't do anything too disagreeable.
5. Where do you draw the line at pleasing your deity? What is too much? As it turns out, I draw the line at anything that hurts my family.

Life & Death :
1. What do you absolutely live for? Serah. Always.
2. What is the best part of life? The fact that things can always change, so things can always get better. I suppose the fact that I said that means I'm still slightly optimistic.
3. What is the best part of death? The fact that it's over, and you can rest.
4. If you could choose, how would you want to die? A better man than I am now.
5. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death? I want Serah to remember me as someone who loved her.
Box code by Cylos Marn
Valien
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Valien Altare

Postby Valien on June 5th, 2014, 2:27 am

The Story So Far

Spring 514 AV

Valien and Serah arrived in Syliras on the 90th Day of Spring, 514 AV. The two of them purchased housing in a small apartment in the Bittern District of Stormhold Castle, and spent most of their first night resting and recovering from their journey. On the last day of spring, their second day in Syliras, Valien took Serah to the Great Bazaar, where they met the Kelvic Myra Karaugh. It was also on that day that Valien visited the Syliran Order's Recruitment Office, with the possible intention of becoming a squire. When the Order said that they wouldn't be able to cover Serah's living expenses as well as his own, Valien left, seeking other employment.

Summer 514 AV

To be added
Box code by Cylos Marn
Valien
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook