Solo Making A Man Out Of Himself

Shane Becomes A Man!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Making A Man Out Of Himself

Postby Shane Wallsly on May 21st, 2014, 11:09 am

Timestamp: 33rd of Spring 514 AV

Shane swallowed hard. The wooden door loomed before him lit by the flickering flames of a torch held by a metal hand aside the door. A little swinging wooden board read “Herald Arms” as was the name of the tavern. Shane looked down by his side forgetting, for an instant, that his canine companion had not, could not, come with him. This was something he needed to do for himself. To experience the thing that most men craved after... Would it make him a man? Would it at least allow him to see why? He had never felt like a man; at least he'd never felt in a way that seemed like a man's feeling. Men were brave; men fought for what the believed in; they fought for what they wanted. Not all men did it with swords and shields like the Knights nor with any other might or magic. Some with cunning, others with faith. A man knew what he wanted and protected what he had. He did it unquestioningly and even in the face of mortal peril. Shane would need this kind of tenacity for the days ahead. He wasn't a kid working in Avira's shop any more. He was going to be a businessman and an adult. He was nineteen and it was high time he shed his adolescent skin.

Shane took a deep breath and reached out for the wooden door pushing it open and stepping through. His senses were instantly massaged by the sight of a lavish, ornate tavern; a strong, pleasant smell and the soft yet calming undertones of a very competent violinist. The tavern was agreeably lit by several blazing hearths filling the air with a gentle warmth. It wasn't anywhere near as dank or seedy as Shane would have guessed a place like this to have been. His spirits raised he headed toward the bar. He perused the selection of drinks behind the counter. There were bottles of several different colours and most were completely without labels. He had never drank before either. If it were not for the fact the White Swan was his favourite place to treat himself for a meal this would have been his very first outing to a tavern.

The bartender, a man about ten to fifteen years his senior, seemed to notice his hesitation and gave him a friendly smile. “You look like you could use some help, my friend.” He spoke slowly and confidently. Shane couldn't help but think how great a Hypnotist this man would make. He had a very large, natural sphere of charisma. He was confident, cool and seemed pretty level-headed.

Shane tried to rid his head of such thoughts. He wasn't here to look for people who would make good hypnotists. He was here to become a man and standing around looking confused wasn't going to help with that. He straightened his posture a bit and re-arranged his face into what he thought seemed confident. “Yes, ah, what do the ladies like?” He said in his most confident, adult voice.

The man seemed to tense a little as if something were wrong and his smile dropped for a few seconds. Shane tried to keep the concern from his face. What was wrong? Was he not allowed to ask that? Was he too young to be here? Was he about to get kicked out?

Credit to Skerry
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 1st, 2014, 4:19 pm

Then the bartender began to chuckle. Shane instantly went red in the face. He'd clearly been trying to suppress his laughter at Shane's out-of-placeness and had now failed horribly. After a few moments the bartender's expression changed to one of concern and apology. “I'm sorry, kid, I couldn't help myself. You stick out here like a Konti out of water. It's obvious you're new here. Now, what are you looking for? I can help.” The bartender offered sincerely.

Shane thought about it for a few moments. The bartender's offer seemed genuine and why wouldn't it be? He obviously wanted the place to do well so that, at the very least, he could keep his job if he wasn't the owner of the place or something like that. Shane also felt like he knew when people were lying. Their face always seemed wrong and their posture got all thrown out of balance and tons of other little things that everyone but the best liars seemed unable to shake. Shane decided just to tell him straight then. Fighting the urge to lean forward and whisper he straightened his back and looked the man firmly in the eyes. “I'm looking for a... girl. You know the kind that's really interested in gold.”

The bartender nodded knowingly. “Well... you walked into the right tavern then, Mister?” The bartender fished for a name as he turned his back on Shane and plucked two wine glasses from the back of the bar. “If you meant what you said earlier about ordering what the ladies like than I would suggest wine. I wouldn't bore you with any details because you don't seem much of a wine man to me but we have two kinds. One that goes in a pitcher for two silver mizas and one exquisite beverage that comes in a bottle for ten gold mizas.” He turned placing the two wine glasses on the bar in front of Shane. “Which one would you like?”

“It's Wallsly.” Shane replied without even thinking of using a fake name. He had no idea that was common practice as he'd never discussed this kind of thing with anyone before. He doubted that he had never met anyone who didn't have experience with it but it was not something you just had a conversation about. Shane didn't know how much the woman would cost so he'd brought more money with him then probably he should have. Shane felt his coin purse was too heavy and the pleasant atmosphere around him had relaxed him into a much more carefree state than he was usually in. “I'll take the bottle, good man. I think it's best to start things off on a good note with the lady, don't you?”

The bartender smiled at Shane's good will and fetched the bottle from behind the bar. “I agree, Mister Wallsly, but if it's all the same to you I'd like to see the coin before I pop open this vintage.” The bartender managed to make it sound like a favour rather than a sign of distrust. Shane could tell but he was none too bothered. After all he hardly wore nobleman's clothing. There was no sign at all in the way Shane walked or talked that he came from money and that was because he had not and it was perfectly plausible that Shane could not have afforded such a beverage. He reached into his coin purse and counted out ten gold ones and placed them on the counter. “Excellent. Excellent.” The bartender replied pouring the drinks and whisking away the gold. “What kind of girl were you looking for, Mister Wallsly? Blonde, brunette, fat, thin? We have quite a few girls to choose from and some of them aren't even entirely human.”

Shane furrowed his brow at the question. He hadn't actually considered this. He'd sort of just thought he'd pick one or one would pick him. What was he supposed to do with specifications. He wasn't ordering a sword. He only needed it for one job and couldn't all girls do that job the same? He cast his mind back to girls he had entertasined secret crushes on throughout his life. A redhead, a blonde... His crushes were few and one was so long ago he could hardly remember her face. “A blonde one. A thin blonde one but not a starved one. Not too thin. More like medium. Not fat but perfectly rounded out. Experienced.” When Shane began to specify it just kept coming out. It seemed he had known what he wanted.

The bartender looked surprised. “Experienced?” He asked with a wiggle of his eyebrows. “That's not a common preference. Experienced how, Mister Wallsly?” The bartender set him an inquisitive stare as if trying to ascertain his very nature.

“Well,” Shane began the answer to the question forming in his mind as he began to speak it “when I wish to buy a sword I consult the best weaponsmith around. When I need a great painting I consult the best painter around. When I want the best night... Well, you know... The best girl, right?” Shane kind of stumbled a bit at the end determined to make it through this conversation without saying anything unsavoury.

The bartender grinned and nodded “I like the way you think. You'll do well around here.” He told Shane before signalling to someone in the lounge to come over. Shane turned to see who he was signalling to. It was a blonde woman. She was late twenties or early thirties. She stood about a head and maybe shoulders smaller than him with long, shapely legs and childbearing hips. She looked mumsy to Shane her face a kind, rounded shape possessed of a buttone nose some might suggest had evolved into a baby potatoe and those wrinkles you only see on people who smile a lot. The last thing Shane came to notice, and the first thing most men did, looked sizeable constrained as they were in a blue dress that showed off her shoulders and sloped down in a lazy v at her cleavage.

“Hey, handsome.”

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 2nd, 2014, 9:41 am

“What can I help you with, Victor?” Her words were too slow and sensual. Shane supposed in the same vein as a salesman pretended to be your friend a lady of the night had to pretend as well but this time she herself was both the salesman and the product. What an odd mixture of ideas. He couldn’t decide whether such a trade would be easier or harder.

“Mister Wallsly, may I introduce to you Atheara.” The bartender, whom Shane assumed must be Victor, introduced them. “Atheara, this is Mister Wallsly. He’s looking for some companionship.”

She smiled alluringly and curtsied before him. Shane blushed at the royal treatment. No one had ever bowed before him before. “Is there something a little less formal I can call you, Mister Wallsly?” She asked sweetly.

“Hmm, uh, Shane, of course.” Shane stumbled a bit as he tried to recall his own name. This was all a bit overwhelming. Rather, she was a bit overwhelming. “Yes, you can call me Shane, Atheara. What a pretty name you have.” Shane turned to the bar remembering the glasses of wine. He picked one up from the bar “For you” He said holding it out to her.

“Oh, thank you.” Her words were accompanied with a more genuine smile as she took a sip of the wine. He had forked out for the more expensive wine and he wondered if it was that fact that had prompted the smile or the fact he had bought her some wine at all. For all he knew buying wine for your ‘companion’ was the norm. “Would you like to get us a table? I need to have a few words with Victor here and I’ll be right over.”

Shane didn’t know exactly what she wanted with the bartender but he guessed it was just business talk so he told her “Of course” grabbed the bottle of wine and his glass and left the bar area. He stepped into the lounge area which consisted of many tables with little love seats all around the edge of the room. This part of the room smelt the most pleasant. There were sprinkles of people dotted about the various tables and love seats as well as various girls that seemed to be circling the area like birds of prey. Shane picked the nearest table in sight almost fearful of being snatched up by another girl before he had his time with Atheara. He wondered how open Atheara would be to multiple companions in bed. Shane shook the idea out of his head for more than one reason; the biggest among them being the cost of such a thing.

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on June 5th, 2014, 9:19 am

He was not left to ponder for long. She soon returned empty glass in hand. “Let me refill that for you.” Shane responded eagerly. She smiled charmingly and held the empty glass out to him. He tilted the wine bottle into it and let it fill the glass. He put the bottle down and raised his own glass to his lips. His expression soured as the liquid met with his tastebuds. He forced the foul-tasting liquid down with an intense frown. “Oh, wow...” Shane cried out in disgust. “That stuff is awful.”

Atheara giggled genuinely putting a hand over her mouth as if trying to stop herself. “First glass of wine?” She asked after she composed herself. Her lips were held in a knowing smile.

“Verily.” Shane replied with a playful roll of the eyes at himself. “I'd always thought it would taste more fruity. It tastes a bit more... Umm, burny.” As he spoke his cheeks began to burn as red as the wine he had just tried to ingest.

“You get used to it after a while.” She replied bemusedly. “If I may ask, how old are you Shane?” She asked with veiled interest.

He didn't know if she thought he was too young to be here if he had never drank wine before or if she was merely interested or even if she were just trying to make conversation. “Nineteen just this season.” He replied truthfully. He was considering this as a belated birthday present; the money he was spending at least. As far as wanting to be here went it was mostly a mixture of something he felt like he had to do and curiosity.

“I've never been to a place like this before though or, ummm... Met a girl like you or any girl in that kind of way...”He was tragically aware of just how ignorant and immature he sounded. He didn't want her to think of him that way at all. He wanted her to think he was knowledgeable and experienced. He needed to act more confident. “So this will be my first time. Make it special.” He urged playfully drawing upon that well of confidence he kept deep within for times of crisis.

She smiled a perfect, seductive smile. Her back arched forward and she leant forward bringing an aroma of perfumes to massage Shane's senses. Her personality, her very being seemed to become almost tangible as she leant forward. She seemed to have this erotic aura and it engulfed him, encapsulated him. “You know we can skip all the small talk and head up to our own private room right now.” Her words, her whispers, floated into his hazy mind and she leant asway again.

Suddenly the entire room returned. It had been such an intense rush of emotions Shane could scarcely believe he hadn't just been put under Hypnosis. He took a deep breath realising he'd been holding it. Shane felt almost drunk after the closeness. His heart thumped in his chest. The closest feeling he could ever remember was being held by his mother but even that was a million times different than what had just happened. What had just happened?

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on August 17th, 2014, 10:22 am

There was a long pause then. Shane didn't know what to say and Atheara didn't seem to want to rush him. Finally his mouth and brain connected and words were form. “Wine... Ummm, I mean let's just finish the wine... Okay?”

She smiled sweetly. “Of course.” Her words were just as sweet. She seemed nice or at least she was good enough at her profession to make it seem so. She, as in the real Atheara, was hidden beneath all this sweet, sensual grace. It was almost unsporting to pick it a part. The experience of any sale would never be the same to a man who knew how it was done. Hypnotism had taught him that all people wore masks and he considered this a blessing. The true curse was in knowing there was something underneath at all. If you're not looking for a mask you can always assume there aren't any. Shane always assumed. There was a reason in every look, every word, every twitch. Shane couldn't help but look for them. At his level of understanding he didn't even understand them all but they were there and Shane had to content himself with guesswork.

So here was Atheara. She had a past, she lived a present and there was, more than likely, a future she wished to have. He didn't know anything about her but they would have relations together. Presumably she did this for the money but why did she need the money? Did she have plans, was she just trying to make it through the month or did she have people or children dependant on her? Who exactly was she?

“A girl ought to blush if you look at her like that.” She flirtily pointed out that he'd been staring at her for a little while now in what must have been for her an awkward silence. “Are you trying to sum me up? Wondering who I am? Why I'm here?” Shane was rather taken aback by how quickly she guessed what was on his mind. It must have shown on his face because she continued “I'll tell you but...” She paused and leaned forward. “You'll have to do me a favour.” She said in a conspiratorial whisper.

Shane leant in eager to learn of a mystery so secret to constitute a favour in return. She smiled and looked down at the empty glass that occupied one hand. “Pour me another glass, would you?” She tittered and leant back as Shane filled up her glass shaking his head but internally smiling as he did so. She was more feisty than he had realised. “That's the second time I've seen you ease up since we met. It looks good on you.”

Shane smiled and, for a moment, forgot about the taste of the win in his glass and took a drink. He almost spat it out. By the Gods it was disgusting. Atheara started giggling and when finally she managed to stop herself she amended her statement. “Okay, three times the tally counts.” She smiled sipping from her wine. “Now, Shane, tell me how a... A man of nineteen years has never had a taste of wine or enjoyed the company of a woman?” She managed to pause only once and deliver the question with an inconceivable amount of nonchalance.

Shane frowned. It was easy to tell he'd never had a glass of wine before but how could she tell he'd never had the company of a woman? The answer, of course, must be simple to a woman of her profession in the same way, he supposed, that a master swordsman would know if you'd never handled a sword before. “Time is something I've either had too little of or too much in the past. Neither helped much.” Shane replied thoughtfully before adding “And I do believe I was promised a story.”

“What kind of story?” She asked playfully.

“A drama, a romance, an epic...” Shane suggested airily “Nah, just your story will do.”

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shane Wallsly on August 17th, 2014, 12:25 pm

“Okay then.” She began, trailing her fingers through the condensation on the wine glass absent-mindedly as she spoke. “There once was a girl from Sunberth. She had a beautiful lock of golden brown hair-”

“You have blonde hair.” Shane pointed out interrupting her mid sentence.

“Who's telling this story?” She glared. Shane raised his hands in surrender and let her continue. He supposed it was possible she had changed her hair colour at some point. “So there was a Sunberthian girl with hair of golden brown. Her name was Angilia.”

“Bu-”

“Are you going to let me start this story or not?” She chided.

“Sorry.”

“Right, now Angilia grew up on the rough streets of Sunberth. She'd been in more than her fair share of scraps. She always carried a dagger strapped to her leg and never took more money anywhere she went than was needed. Despite this she never despised her life. She was quietly happy with her lot. You see she earned a small wage as a barmaid and lived in a small shack with her mother and father. She had enough to get by and that was all she needed. Are you listening?” She suddenly shot the question at him.

“Of course.” Shane replied without a heartbeats falter. He had been listening. He had in fact been quite enthralled by the story.

Why?” She countered.

“I like stories.” Shane offered honestly. He'd always been a fan of stories since his mother had told him his first folk tale. “Don't you?”

She gave him a queer look and continued the story. “Well Angilia was quite beautiful as you might imagine. She had many suitors but she turned every single one down. She didn't need a man to look after her. She was a Sunberthian girl; guys should have sought protection from her.”

“But weren't they Sunberthian guys?” Shane puzzled. “If being Sunberthian makes you tougher doesn't that work for the men too?”

Exactly. Angilia had overestimated herself. She had friends in some of the gangs but she had very little actual protection. Her whole life was waiting to be ripped apart by any man worth more than a copper coin and one day exactly that happened. A lieutenant in one of the gangs named Oswell the Bull came into her tavern one day and he wanted her from the very first moment he laid eyes on her. When he inevitably began to court her she refused all of his advances for not only did she not want a man but she also didn't want to get mixed up in the affairs of high-ranking gang members. Sunberth is a dangerous place if you don't have any friends but it can also be a much more dangerous place if you have the wrong ones. Oswell had enemies and if any one of them knew his feelings for her it was likely she that would be harmed.”

“Ah, so did he use his considerable influence to force her to be with him?” Shane deduced.

“Not quite.” She revealed. “He won her hand by using his influence to protect her. He gave her space but asked his most trusted companions to keep an eye on her. Eventually a rival lieutenant did find out and he was there to save her when he struck. Seeing the dedication to protect her and the love he so obviously had for her she fell in love. She realised that life was not meant to be lived alone and found even more joy in a life of love. They got married and she lived happily ever after.”

Shane could feel a sting in his eyes. The words touched him or, at the very least, how she said them did. Shane had almost forgotten that this was her story. She'd been using a different name and talking about something that could be a different life. “What happened then?” Shane was afraid to ask but his curiosity was getting the better of him. “The story can't end here. Angilia isn't even at the Citadel yet.”

Atheara had been staring off into the misty blue. She seemed almost startled to hear his voice. “Why can't we finish on happily ever after?” She sighed. Her eyes were watery.

Shane slid his hand across the table and took one of hers. She looked up into his eyes at the touch. “This isn't a story, remember?” Shane reminded her. “A happy ending can't end in this place.”

She looked away again but didn't retract her hands. After a long half a chime of silence she began again. “She was pregnant. She was to bear Oswall's child. To bring into her life of love and happiness another person that she could bathe in the warmth of love that kept her going. Oswall still had enemies though and the streets of Sunberth were as mean as ever. Angilia wanted to leave. She wanted to go to Syliras which she heard was a place of peace and prosperity. Oswall wouldn't agree. He didn't want to leave his home or the gang members he considered his extended family. In any case how could an old gangster like him find any kind of honest work in a lawful city like that? Like this?” She briefly looked around the room, sighed and continued “The next time his enemies came looking to hurt Oswall they were successful. Angilia was killed but a Healer managed to save the baby. Oswall went after the perpetrators putting his newborn daughter's fate into her grandparents hands. They decided to honour Angilia's wish and moved to Syliras leaving Oswall behind to rot in vengeance and sorrow...” She finished miserably or at least so he thought but she continued on a moment later with a startling revelation. “Angilia and Oswall are my mother and father. I grew up here in Syliras with my penniless grandparents but that's another story.”

Shane almost couldn't believe her tale but what would be the point in her lying? In any case it was a very heart tugging story. She told it well. Shane got the impression she'd either told it many times or been told it many times. “Did you ever..?”

“He's dead.” She interjected before he could finish the question. “I spent a little bit of time in Sunberth. He died chasing my mother's killers. I was told he was searching for retribution right up until the moment of his death.”

“Who told you?”

“Uh uh uh.” She asserted removing her hand from his. “You only get one story. You'll have to come visit me another time if you want to hear more.”

Shane couldn't help but smile to himself at her spirit. “How much does it cost for the night?” He asked rummaging through his coins.

She seemed taken aback by his sudden forwardness. “Ten gold ones.” She answered watching him with interest.

“And how much for a dinner?” Shane inquired “This place does food, right?”

“Of course.” She countered “That's five gold ones each.”

“Okay.” Shane counted out fifteen gold mizas and put them on the table. “Here's fifteen. Take the night off and get yourself a nice dinner.” Shane said standing and preparing to leave.

“Don't you want... companionship?” She inquired incredulously.

“I think I'll leave that until I've heard all of your stories.” Shane asserted with a playful smirk. “I'll be back some time. Enjoy the wine.”

Shane turned to leave but he heard Atheara stand. “Wait.” She urged. “Why don't you want to sleep with me? Nobody just comes to here a prostitute's stories.”

Shane shrugged. “I do.”

Credit to Skerry

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Nivel on September 14th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Shane :
XP Award:
  • Socialisation 4
  • Seduction 1
  • Persuasion 1
Lore:
  • Herald Arms Tavern: A relaxing Atmosphere
  • Atheara: The blond haired companion
  • Victor: Friendly bartender to of the Herald Arms Tavern
  • Wine tastes awful
  • The tragic story of Atheara's parents
Notes: Good Job, I had fun reading it. Make sure to add the things paid for in this thread to your sheet.
Purchase Cost Total
Wine +10 GM -
Companionship +15 GM 25 GM

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)