Flashback Flame on Water [solo]

Goodbyes...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Flame on Water [solo]

Postby Billie on June 8th, 2014, 2:55 pm

8th of Spring, 511AV

It wasn’t right seeing Lacey like this. She was the colour of death, in pain, and unable to do anything more but lay in their bed and have the life slowly diminish. The cancer was making it hard for her to talk now, and hard for her to breathe normally though her failing lungs. Her bluish green eyes usually sparkled, but they looked duller now, and under them were ugly bruise-like dark lines. Was this the last image she was to see of her partner? If Billie was being honest with herself, she’d make herself stop imagining Lacey jumping up from her bed and jovially yelling “Just kiddin’!”

Instead, Billie should be preparing for the moment she suddenly stopped breathing, because it was clear that moment would be upon her soon. Billie was crying because it wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair that everyone in her life that she loved had been taken from her. “I love you, you petching asshole, so get up and snap out of it!” Billie cried, raking her hand through her coarse, un-brushed light brown hair. “You’re not allowed to leave me!” She continued, placing her head in her hands and collapsing onto the floor closest to the bed where Lacey was dying. The sound of coughing and wheezing made her quiet down and look at Lacey. It was probably supposed to be laughter. “You… don’t get to… tell me what to do… remember?” She said with an extraordinary amount of effort. “Don’t… petching… swear at me, you!” Despite herself, Billie chuckled. It was a weak sound, and it faded as soon as it had begun.

Billie’s eyes watered again as she moved to kneel beside her and take her hand. “L-Lee.” She wheezed “Don’t forget me when I’m gone. But… don’t be lonely forever… okay?” Billie blinked and shook her head “How can you say that!” She cried “How can you say ‘when I’m gone’ so easily?” It was as if she’d reverted back to a selfish, childlike state. She didn’t want to believe what was right in front of her eyes. Lacey frowned “Billie, love… I’m dying. Don’t deny it” Billie was silent but finally she spoke up “Lacey… I love you… You’re everything good in my life… and I’ll never forget you” Lacey laughed again, but it sounded more like a splutter “Don’t be S-such a petching sap. C’mere” She slurred, holding her arms up weakly.

Billie leaned in and rested her head softly against Laceys chest, wrapping her arms around her like a cocoon, as if just holding on to her was going to keep her there. “I… just need to rest for a bit… so just…. Stay here, wont you?” She whispered. Billie sniffed and nodded “Course.” She said, softly pecking her on the forehead and then laying down next to her on their bed. “Thank-you” Lacey muttered, voice barely audible “Love… you…” her eyes were closed now.

Billie stayed awake, unable to even close her eyes. She held onto Lacey and tried to keep her warm. At least this time she’d have a chance to say goodbye. She didn’t want to leave Lacey’s side, even to eat, for fear she would have already gone by the time she got back. Lacey kept her going, and she didn’t even know how to say everything she wanted to say. Lacey knew her better than she knew herself. They were planning to have a life together, they were going to belong to one another forever. She’d even planned, one day, to marry Lacey and wear cheva’s mark proudly upon her neck. But now all those dreams are forever crushed. It was hard to recall why she was always so determined to keep her head up in moments like this.

Last edited by Billie on June 10th, 2014, 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
White= Speaking common
#BF0000= Speaking Nari
#4040FF= Speaking Fratava

Other character(s)
Arvo
Billie
Love, Loss, Live on

Words: 84502
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2014, 3:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Flame on Water [solo]

Postby Billie on June 8th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Sometime later Billie woke up, realizing that she had fallen asleep after all. And something was wrong. Lacey’s chest wasn’t moving up and down steadily. Her breathing was so shallow it sounded more like gasping. “L-Lacey!?” Billie stuttered, leaning over her and looking into her panicked eyes. “I-It hurts to breathe, love” She wheezed and coughed, trying to suck in air “It hurts to do anything” Billie’s face crumpled “Don’t go…” She cried selfishly, even though the pain in her partner’s eyes was obvious. “Billie, love you….” She managed “You’ll be… alright.” Billie shook her head “No…” She whispered “No…!” She could feel her slipping away. Lacey was in so much pain, and she was slipping away.

Billie felt a hollowness overcome her when Lacey was finally gone. It turned out to be an agonizingly long hour before Lacey died. An hour of her unable to speak, or breathe properly, it was probably a relief to finally die. Billie would have to do something about her body. Cremating her would be best. Death had to be kept quite in a city like Kenash. She’d need somewhere private to start a fire. Oh what a horrible task, but she couldn’t just leave her here to rot. Lacey told her to burn her body when she died and leave Kenash. But where was she going to go next? Aimlessly travel around between cities like she had when she’d lost Sadie? Yeah… that was probably what she was going to do. Maybe stay away from making friends for a long time too. Keep interactions simple. Her heart couldn’t take another person yet: it was too shattered.

She’d left kenash, buying a horse. She put Lacey’s body onto the horse and left the city for good, traveling far past the plantations before stopping somewhere among the long grass and dismounting. She spent almost all day collecting enough firewood and dry grass to make a massive raft that she could set alight and sail down the river. She placed her girlfriend among the fire stock and covered the raft in flammable alcohol. With a heavy heart, but steady hands, Billie set the Raft alight.

The blaze burned brilliantly as she pushed it down stream. She wanted to turn away before she had to see her girlfriend burn, but she had to say… something. It only felt right. “Um… I don’t know if you can hear me, or I’m just making a fool of myself here, Lacey…” She began, voice quivering “But I’m glad you’re not in pain anymore, even if you aren’t with me, and I’m glad I got to spend the time I did with you. Every memory you’ve given me, I’ll hold onto forever.” She pulled the necklace that Lacey had given her at the start of their relationship “I was going to give this back to you, but then I imagined what a fuss you’d make if I burnt it with your body. Probably haunt me forever. So I’m… keeping it.” She said with a dry chuckle as she tied it around her neck. Billie sighed and hugged herself “Thanks for everything… O-Okay?” She finished “…Goodbye”

Goodbye How final that word was.

[/color]
White= Speaking common
#BF0000= Speaking Nari
#4040FF= Speaking Fratava

Other character(s)
Arvo
Billie
Love, Loss, Live on

Words: 84502
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2014, 3:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Flame on Water [solo]

Postby Vice on June 22nd, 2014, 9:34 pm

Billie :
Skills
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Riding

Lores
  • Witnessing Lacey's Death
  • Lacey: She's Everything to Me
  • A Crushed Dream
  • Depair, a Final Crushing Moment
  • Goodbye...

Comments: Stuff

If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send me a PM, and we'll discuss my reasoning behind why the grade given was received. Please make sure to edit any posts in the grading queue to 'graded' and update your CS as soon as possible. Enjoy! ^.^
Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes