PM to join [Alements] Heated Discussion (Hirem)

As the heat wave hits Riverfall, people overheat and decide sometimes the best policy is just to relax and talk some philosphy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Alements] Heated Discussion (Hirem)

Postby Kavala on June 29th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Kavala quietly watched Hirem take all that she had to say and let it sink in. He could have said a number of things, balked at what she was trying to explain, or even refused to share the orange with her. Instead, he seemed to settle within himself and close his eyes as if letting the weight of all the information she’d just given him settle onto his shoulders. He seemed to ooze a peace that sometimes people of devote faith held about themselves like armor. He did not get visibly upset. He did not override her words, and he did not react generally negatively which meant he was listening.

It was all Kavala could ask.

Sometimes, she got the oddest feeling among all the preparations she was constantly doing, that her purpose in the world at this time wasn’t for keeping everyone safe or rebuilding the Cytali. Sometimes she just wondered if it wasn’t as simple as opening other people up to the possibility love. It was such a fundamental thing, so simple, but Kavala had walked a hard path in life, one that had taken her from her rugged but sheltered youth among family, to strange healers and a time of learning. From there she’d fallen into slavery and later that had moved from being enslaved to being contractually obliged. She’d done her duty, served her time, and was a free woman now. But she understood that the road behind her was fraught with a lot of self doubt and negative feelings towards who she was and what she had become.

Many people feared the Akalak and living among them. And the people that knew she was an ex Nakivak probably wondered why she didn’t feel the same way. But the truth was when she’d gone through the reality of being a slave with a destination as food for the Zith, she’d been grateful for her rescue from that fate by the jewel toned men of Riverfall. And that they’d asked her to bear them children, in the long course of what her life had been and would have been if she hadn’t come along, really wasn’t all that much. She could see their perspective, but Kavala could also say with certainty that she had walked a shadowed time hating herself and those that held her contracts. It was only when freedom came – at almost the cost of her life through brutality – which she could forgive them their nature and even in the end forgives herself. And she knew why that had come about. She loved her children. Their wide eyes and curious ways and all the promise of their lives to come had healed the anger. Them being in the world had been worth it to Kavala, in the end, and she would have paid the price the Akalak asked many times over to have them.

It had been her first and hardest most long lasting lesson in love.

And so when the Benshira started to cry, Kavala faced the storm. Being a healer she knew what people carried inside at times. She too had cried like Hirem cried a time or two and she knew how good it was for him to do so. Rather she stepped closer and laid a hand on his shoulder, equally moved by his reaction and wanting him to know she was sincere. Kavala also knew his words, the ones he uttered with such devote gratitude, were not meant for her. She could not understand the language, but she recognized the prayer, the reverence and nodded, knowing he talked to his God. She stood there, hand firm on his shoulder, squeezing him gently until the flood subsided and the waters retreated and he could breathe again. And when he made to rise, she stepped back, giving him room and her full attention.

“Sometimes there is no better waste of water than to let it cleans your soul of the pain you carry deeply.” Kavala said softly, sensibly, and when he thanked her, she simply nodded. “I think it was something you needed to know, Hirem. And I think, in a way, its something you are already very familiar with but have been lost too in this life. I know it was that way for me when I was coming into my awareness of the greater length of my life and what I have done and what I have been. It gives a person a deeper understanding of what passes around them and why. It makes you wiser, stronger, and it reminds you… reminds you because you cannot teach someone something they already know… that you have been through much worse or have survived different things to the point where its far easier to be courageous, embrace dangerous things or ideas, and know that you do so because the need is so very real and the danger is not something that is just inside your head.” Kavala said, then quietly listened, hearing what he had to say.

Kavala nodded slowly, letting his words wash over her, and then she closed her eyes.

She knew this feeling that filled Hirem. She knew the lifetime of feeling lost in direction and then the sense of coming home and knowing that something was so utterly right and utterly accepting it in the same breath.

Kavala stepped forward and ran her hand into Hirem’s hair. She picked a single strand of hair and gently tugged it, knowing it would cause him pain. Then she did something drastic, something that she knew Nysel would hear, for all that she was only one of his Dreamwalkers and not one of his priestesses. First, slowly, she looked around and noted they were still alone in the oppressive heat.

She knelt with the hair in her fingers, held aloft like a woman would hold a precious flower, and closed her eyes. Her head bowed forward and Hirem could see that she almost instantly drifted asleep still kneeling, still clutching his strand of hair. Then she passed from one world to the other, almost instantly, leaving only her body behind. To Hirem it would seem that the Konti was asleep. But he’d also feel a profound disquiet because when someone was asleep, there was still an awareness of them being present. But Kavala’s body, while she was gone, seemed to simply cease being alive in the sense that it was full of life. It became instead a shell of flesh and bone, discarded instantly, and left to haunt the living with the reminder that death could come so swiftly and be so utterly final.

And where she went was where all Dreamwalkers longed to be. She found herself in the glittering world of the Chavena surrounded by dancing silver cords of life. Kavala picked out her own, knowing it from the others immediately. Then she followed it backwards, farther and farther and farther until she passed its origin and passed into where it tied into the Chavena. She had no body in the Chavena, but was only a spark of light that glowed with intelligence. But once she passed the barrier between the Chavena and the Ukalas, then and only then did she get granted a physical form. Kavala materialized in Nysel’s realm and dropped to her knees.

“My Lord, I have found one of Yahal’s faithful and one of your lost. He is here.” She said laying the hair still clutched in her fingers upon the swirling ground. Nysel’s realm looked like a glass lake frozen hard with a sunset sky reflected in it. The horizon stretched forever in a hundred and eighty degrees with the deepest darkest part of the sunset reflecting stars. “Help him to find his way, and if it is your will, My Lord, return him to our fold, etch your mark upon his body so he too could Dreamwalk with us and see the truth of all I have told him for himself. May this please you, my Lord? If it does, I will induct him into the Cytali.” Kavala said, opening her eyes and gazing about the realm. She rose to her feet, stretched, and opened her hands wide turning in a circle to take in the breathtaking beauty of Nysel’s realm.

The Eth of Syna and Leth often talked of mourning the loss of dwelling in those realms. But to Kavala, being a Dreamwalker was far better than that for they could live among the living and still visit the realm of their father to refresh and relax them and to re-infuse them with energy any time they liked. Nysel’s mark granted her that permission. So on her second twirl, arms open, receptive to the beauty, Kavala felt a rumble echo through the plain of glass that she stood upon. It caused the stars and sunset sky reflected in it to rumble and dance. There was a joy to the rumble, an acceptance, and that was all she needed to know to understand the fact that Nysel approved.

Kavala bowed her head once more, left the hair lying where it was, and pushed off from the ground, rising up through the sunset sky and passing once more out of the Ukalas into the Chavena and following her Chavi back to the land of the living.

If Hirem was paying attention, he’d see the single strand of hair still pinched in Kavala’s fingers disappear after glowing brightly for a moment.

After that, it was only one shallow breath or two before Kavala opened her eyes and smiled up at Hirem. “My Lord approves…. I think he greatly approves.” She said, rising to her feet and offering Hirem a smile. “There is a ceremony, a small one, to welcome you. You may do it now, or as I would suggest more strong, wait until the season plays out, think your life through and know that this path is one that once you set foot on changes everything about how you see life and what you know of the world. If you give it that time to think on and still want it, I would love to induct you to the Cytali on the first of the fall under Leth’s harvest moon.” Kavala offered, knowing that it would give both the Cytali in existence now time to get to know Hirem and acknowledge him as one of their own plus it would give Hirem the hunger and need he should surely feel to be open to new things.

“Hirem, once you join the Cytali, you become a target. You are already a target, truthfully, just knowing what I have told you. But once you formally accept your role and set out on a path that your Gods lay out for you – and there will be one – then there is no going back and no walking blind and ignorant again. The Ruv’na does not care about the blind and ignorant. They are, to them, easy to control. Instead they care about those that could oppose them. And those include the folks that know about them, are strong enough to fight them physically and mentally, and those that have a firm conviction of the heart.” Kavala said, and then nodded to Hirem. “Once you accept and take vows, things will have to change. You will have to settle down for a time and you will have to train and learn new things. Those things are up to you, but you’ll need a skill set that will allow you to face people who have been trained to kill from birth and survive. You have a fine strong body right now, but it is not strong enough. I can tell by the way you move you have had little training in combat and turning your body into a weapon. That will need to change. And you will have to either work with or be able to work around magic, because the Ruv’na strives to use it to destroy the Gods and you can’t fight what you don’t understand.” She said firmly, knowing all these things might or might not be a deal breaker for them.

“Can you do all this? I don’t want you to answer, Hirem. I want you to think on it yourself. And when you know the answer… be it a chime from now or a season or two, I want you to come back to me and tell me what it is. I will either follow through with what you have asked or welcome you to the Cytali or I will give you supplies and wish you well on the continuance of your journey. There is no ill in my mind of stepping aside in this life and taking a break from the fight. That is especially true if you have been heavily involved in the last one. There is only shame in saying you want to make a difference or fight, and then do not have the heart or conviction for it.” The Konti added, hoping he understood without her saying so that the Ruv’na was not going to take a break. They were never going to stop. And that one lifetime could make all the difference over ten lifetimes spent in waste.

Count: 2,206
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hirem on June 30th, 2014, 10:51 pm

“Sometimes there is no better waste of water than to let it cleans your soul of the pain you carry deeply,” Kavala told him, and Hirem knew that she was in the right. He was not a man unaccustomed to pain - in fact, the Benshira was willing to wager that he let himself become more affected by tragedy than most, for his mind was incapable of resolving the trauma and it's lingering consequences peacefully. But the act of expressing it, of letting it so thoroughly overwhelm him until he had no choice but to be reduced to tears, was completely unknown to him. For so long, I have kept this pain buried inside me and refused to let it see Priskil's radiance... instead it has festered within, trapped below ground like the aching wound that is Hai. Perhaps those four years alone in the desert had been the real injury to his troubled mind, and not the disturbing nightmare that had been Hai; perhaps he had lost his way by becoming so convinced that he was hopelessly lost.

He didn't want to hold his emotions back anymore. He was sick of it. He was sick of feeling so weak and powerless and helpless to defend himself, or to seek aid from other kind souls. Hirem didn't imagine that this would cure him of his ails - he knew that his nighttime terrors, that his memories of despair and guilt, would never truly leave him. After all, even the combined force of Caelum and Kavala, the two most powerful healers he had ever met, had only been able to offer comfort to him, not a cure. Speaking plainly of his fears would not make them go away... but at the same time, he wouldn't have to feel so dreadfully alone anymore. The Burning Lands had estranged him from the world, reduced the wide pathway of his future to a single, narrow strip that sheltered none but himself. Riverfall had restored it to encompass all of his hopes and dreams, all of his passions and desires, and all of the kindred spirits that he had met in this enchanting city. Soran, Natalia, Edith, Alyra, Caelum, Lyn'nice, Alaia... even those such as Jaye, Atoll, and Rosela!... and now Kavala has joined the company, marching alongside me into a brighter future.

The Benshira didn't feel whole yet, but he did feel like he had come the closest to starting anew in a very, very long time.

But he couldn't rest easy and rejoice just yet, for there was more work yet to be done. Of all the actions Kavala might have taken in the aftermath of his oath, he least expected her to step forward and rip a strand of coarse, black hair from the top of his head. Yelping in surprise - Hirem's hair was a tougher beast to manage than one might think - he placed a hand to his head and wondered why on earth she had just done that. Then, as Kavala eased herself to her knees, holding the hair as tenderly as if it were her holy book, he realized that this must be a ceremony of some kind. But a ceremony for whom? The Konti? Rak'keli? Or is this a form of Dreamwalking? When she closed her eyes and dipped her head down slightly, he knew that his last guess had been correct, and that this was Nysel's work... although what exactly she was doing, he did not know. Glancing around the open patio and realizing that this left him alone with a woman that, from the looks of it, was fast asleep, Hirem awkwardly shuffled his feet and tried to relax by leaning against the railing.

He felt... uncomfortable, as he waited for Kavala to finish her ritual, disquiet for a number of reasons. Firstly, he was unsettled by the very nature of the ceremony, and the strange cost that it had demanded from him. The tales spread around the Benshira tents made their point very clear: Unless you are baked mad by the burning sun, you are never, ever, under any circumstances, to give any part of yourself to a witch. Even if she swears that it will only help you in the end, do not listen, for the hearts of witches are poisoned by their dark magic. Even though he trusted Kavala completely - and if he did not, he would be powerless to stop her anyway- he still could not bring himself to get comfortable with the idea of a piece of himself being used for a magic ceremony. It offended his Yaheban sensibilities. He also found that Kavala's sleeping form was bizarrely lifeless, looking like more it had been mummified than simply put to rest. It was strange to see this woman, so full of energy just a few moments ago, become so deprived of color with the simple act of sleeping. Is this what traversing the Chavena looks like from the outside?

Thankfully, he didn't have to wait long before the Konti returned to the realm of reality, bearing with her good news and a comforting smile. “My Lord approves…. I think he greatly approves.” She told him, making Hirem's heart momentarily grow stilled within his chest. Nysel... approves? This god that I have never met nor know a thing of, approves of my oath? It was strange to think that a god other than Yahal had taken notice of his actions, and even stranger to imagine this foreign Akalak god casting his eyes in Hirem's direction. He wondered whether or not this divine interest would have been obtained if Kavala's direct route to Nysel's realm hadn't been used. I think I would like to meet this Nysel, and see whether or not this patron of the Cytali means well for the world... and whether or not he can cure the nightmares that constantly plague me while I dwell in his realm. Kavala's other piece of news, that of a possible induction ceremony into the Cytali occurring at the start of fall, filled him only with a quiet sense of resolution. So be it. It will give me more time to prepare for my service to the Dreamwalkers. He had no doubts in his mind about whether or not joining the Cytali was something that he desired - he lusted to join the Cytali with a zealotry he had not felt for years and years. The only question now was how best he would able to serve the cause.

For, in truth, he cared not for the possible dangers that came with joining the Cytali. The threat of being hunted by the Ruv'na, as intimidating as they proved to the entire structure of Mizaharian society, did not deter him in the slightest from offering his strength to Kavala's organization... for what could the Ruv'na do to him, that he had not done to himself a thousand times over? Death does not scare me, for I have been dead these past four years. If I die in service of the Cytali, I will meet my god in far better terms than I ever could have imagined meeting him. Torture does not scare me, for I have already wielded the greatest instruments of torture against myself... doubt. Confusion. Guilt. No amount of pain will break me, for I am clear in my purpose and grateful for the chance to serve absolutely. Let the Ruv'na come, for I have friends to shelter and, in turn, rely upon, Nysel's purpose to work upon the world, and Yahal's strength shielding me from harm.

The other conditions Kavala mentioned that he would have to fulfill did not scare him either. Settling down would be a relief to me, not a burden... I have spent so long upon the journey's endless road, that I have not stopped to take a breath in a very, very long time. He understood that he would have to undertake considerable training before he was considered to be an asset to the Cytali, as his skills in combat were only just beginning to grow into something that might be considered competent. A conclusion that I have already reached myself by spending time among the Rivarians. Truly, Yahal must have intended for this meeting to occur! He was willing to train for another ten years and waste the precious summer of his youth, just so that he might serve the Cytali usefully with what time he had remaining. The idea that he had a purpose again, a clearly defined cause that he could apply himself to, filled him with excitement.

He did have one major problem with what she had to say, however: "And you will have to either work with or be able to work around magic, because the Ruv’na strives to use it to destroy the Gods and you can’t fight what you don’t understand.” At the thought of learning a magical discipline, Hirem grew dizzy. Is she serious? The witch wants me to begin practicing sorcery in kind? Averting his gaze from hers, he instead stared out to the open sea. The thought revolted him, but not because it was so unbelievable to imagine that magic would be useful in this fight. He was long past the days of thinking that all magic was malignant, after having met so many fantastical individuals that had all utilized magic to help him. More to the point, he was scared of magic because of what he might do with it. I have already used my physical strength to end lives unjustly in the past... what more horrors might I wreak with magic at my command? All Benshira knew the cautionary tale of Sagallius, the simple desert nomad that, using magic, had become the god of deceit. Sagallius was not born from some pit in the earth... he was an ordinary Benshira, that had become corrupted by the allure of power. Hirem could not reconcile the warnings of his people given about magic and the idea that it was something that he could utilize for good.

But it was a price that he had to pay to join the Cytali, he would pay it. Like it or not, he would pay it.

Kavala had more to say, advising him to think deeply on the matter and step into the battle only if he was totally assured that this was something that he wanted. "There is only shame in saying you want to make a difference or fight, and then do not have the heart or conviction for it.” Nodding respectfully to her, Hirem took a breath and glanced down at the ground. I wonder... is this a cause I am devoted to, or I am merely comforted by the thought of having a cause again? He was tempted to say that the former was, most assuredly, the case, but he knew himself well enough to admit that it was a little bit of both that governed his heart. Looking back up to Kavala, the Benshira fixated his chocolate eyes on hers. "I will do as you say, and prepare my heart to see if I am ready to be inducted come the fall... but," he then said, already gathering his rucksack and holstering it back onto his shoulder, "I think I'm ready to believe again. I am Cytali, I know it in the deepest place of my soul... I only need to decide if I can fight."

"Farewell, Kavala Denusk. We will speak again soon, I promise you. May the light of Yahal shine forevermore on your path." He bowed deeply, before heading for the door that led back into Alements proper.

His heart sang with joy.

Word Count :

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ashar on August 14th, 2014, 6:02 am

Kavala
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Philosophy 4
Storytelling 2
Teaching 2
Meditation 2

Lores
Reimancy: Creating Ice
Hirem: Tents of Alachi, Sons of Rapa
Benshira: Clever Survivalists
Hirem: Repentant Sinner
Hirem: Nightmare Memories
Humans: Burn Bright and Short
Hirem: Burning Fervor
Hirem: Self-Doubting
Hirem: Sworn Cytali Soldier
Hirem: an Immortal Warrior
Love Absolves All
Nysel’s Realm: a Glass Sky
Hirem: Accepted by Nysel
Chavena: a Tapestry of Lives

Hirem
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Socialization 5
Philosophy 4
Storytelling 2

Lores
The Alements: a Place for All
No One Escapes the Burning Lands
Healing: the Touch of Life
Kavala: Healer of Horses and People
Kavala: Peace is Everywhere
Konti: the White Witches
Yahal Demands Purity
Ruv’na: Enemies of All Gods
Ruv’na: Raised to Kill
Ruv’na: Rank for Removing Temples
Ruv’na: Wielders of Static
Static: the Severing of Divinity
512 Djed Storm: Ivak’s Release
512 Djed Storm: Birthed New Deities
Deities of Fear, Peace and Possibilities
Konti: the Call to Leave Home
Kavala: Identifies with Drykas
Kavala: Leader of Cytali
Cytali: Opposes the Ruv’na
Cytali: Uses School for Good
Kavala: Marked by Rak’keli
Kavala: Marked by Eyris
Kavala: Dreamwalker of Nysel
Chavi: People’s Immortal Memories
Chavena: Between Worlds
Eyris Gnosis: Touch to Learn
Dreamwalking: Walk the Chavena
Kavala: Ruv’na “Crescent” in Past Life
Dreamwalking: Rewriting Chavi
Cytali: Led by Nysel and Allies
Valterrian: Ivak’s Revenged Love
Valterrian: Death of Dreamwalkers
Valterrian: Reaper of Ruv’na
Cytali: Absent for 500 Years
Ruv’na: On the Rise
Kavala: a Friend from a Past Life
Accepted by Nysel
One of the Cytali

Additional Comments
This was really wonderful to read, you two. The emotional rollercoaster for Hirem, the teaching of Kavala, both were very lovely. If either of you feel I missed anything, please let me know.

Please don't forget to edit your grade request!
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes