Closed Magic, Stones, and Spoken Words[Tallis]

When two mages meet, will comrades or enemies part?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Magic, Stones, and Spoken Words[Tallis]

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 8th, 2013, 9:22 pm

65 Fall 513

It was good to once in a while get out of the city, and just be alone. Of course, often enough when Clyde attempted this, he ran into someone. Or was interrupted by some random occurrence. But even if that happened, it was nice to get out of town, away from the press of buildings and people.

Perhaps this time would be different though. Or perhaps he would meet another interesting person during his time out of the city. Either way, he had plans. He preferred to practice and train away from other people and their prying eyes, and anything he might accidentally damage. Maybe it was a habit formed back in Syliras, where he could not train in the city, and had to go far away from town for fear of being found out... Either way, he now enjoyed doing this to train. He had been working on a new idea for some Reimancy/Glyphing. It was another spin off idea from his Mage Weapon created so recently. It brought him back to the basics of what a scroll was, what was needed to hold magic.

If he could get this idea to work, it would be useful, and perhaps have more unique deviations of more use to the more mainstream users. But for now, it was simply an idea for earth Reimancers to use. And those were in rare enough supply that not to many would be able to use it.

But it was a stepping stone to newer better versions, Clyde thought to himself on his way out of town, through the pass.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tallis on December 1st, 2013, 7:55 pm

As the sun reached its peak, Tallis prepared himself for yet another routine patrol. The earth reimancer was to go on the lookout for anything impeding the Mirahil Pass that could block much needed trade from entering the city. Occasionally there were fallen trees or mudslides that he would be tasked with clearing up, however, the weather had been stable for the past two weeks and Tallis doubted that he would find anything of interest on his rounds today.

Trade had been much higher earlier in the season, with the bounty of the early Fall harvests being imported into the city. But now that the days were shortening and a chill hung in the air, the path was seeing much less use. Still, Tallis hoped that he would come upon a traveler or caravan. Although he wasn’t much of a gossip, he still found it rewarding to hear news and stories that came from outside of Zeltiva.

As he walked to the city border and entered the path, Tallis was surprised to see someone else on the road ahead of him. People coming into the city were already a rare occurrence, but people leaving? Tallis’ curiosity was peaked and he couldn’t help wondering exactly who this fellow was.

Following the man, Tallis found that his target seemed absorbed in his own thoughts and was rather easy to tail. Tallis began following a bit more closely, slowly tightening the gap between them. And that was when the Stormwarden felt the winds.

The breezes that passed by this stranger and drifted towards Tallis carried the scent of Djed. It was hard to describe what it smelled like. One could see - and even feel - the ethereal substance; but to describe its scent and even its taste? Tallis wasn’t sure how he could explain something so abstract. In fact, it was only after a certain incident that he had developed this unique synesthesia for Djed. Now the hunger permeated him and his initial interest with the stranger began to approach obsession. Tallis’ brow furrowed as he unconsciously fidgeted with his hands. It was taking all of his willpower to stop from pouncing on him.

Everything and everyone had Djed, but the aroma of the Djed was usually so mundane that Tallis could easily suppress his urges. Occasionally, while passing by the University and its magic students, he would catch the smells of Djed and feel his cravings nagging at him. But there was something special about this stranger. Something about the scent of this particular man’s Djed threatened to overwhelm Tallis’ self-control. If he could only get one taste. If he could just take in a tiny bit of that Djed, then it might be enough to satiate his hunger.

Who was this person? What was it about this mage that made him stand out compared to the others that he had met? If Tallis’ assumption were correct, this man would be coming out here to practice his magic. It was something that Tallis himself had done countless times. The Mirahil Pass was littered with clearings that provided an open space for practice that were far enough from prying eyes. Hopefully, Tallis would get the chance to see what made this man so unique.

ooc:D Sorry to start off the thread with Tallis being such a creeper! I just realized that, since Tallis first got Leeching, Clyde would be the first SIGNIFICANT pool of Djed for Tallis to come across. That means some major pent up craving here! I’m expecting some very memorable first impressions!

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 26th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Initially Clyde was distracted in his considerations for his impending project. However after awhile his focus on his task waned, and he naturally looked about. Perhaps he noticed him when he moved in. Perhaps he noticed him because the man tailing him did not seem to be using much stealth in his approach to following him. Perhaps he noticed him because Clyde was a more observant person than the average Mizaharian.

All Clyde knew was that when he'd left the city he had been alone, and now there was a person following him. Perhaps it was for innocent reasons, perhaps going the same way. Or perhaps it was for a not so innocent reason, and the man actually was following him. Clyde had no way of telling.

One thing was for certain, he would be doing no magic until he was sure he had lost him. Instead of following along on the main road Clyde turned off deeper into the woods, heading off the well marked path. If he continued to follow him then, Clyde would know he was being tailed. Now that he knew the person was there he noticed some vague details as he looked while appearing to not look, mostly periphery views or glances in passing.

It was a male, Clyde could tell that. Not old, nor too young. Likely not to different from his own age, with a vague hue of brownish hair, Clyde noticed.

Clyde would accelerate his pace passing along, and then turn again, and coming to a stop behind the tree. Hopefully this would be good enough to throw the person following him off, particularly if he did not notice Clyde had stopped.

Either way if he was still following Clyde he would need to keep going to see him, and would likely pass the same way Clyde had. If he did perhaps it would give Clyde a chance to pop up behind him, or to catch him off guard from the side. As usual he had his old staff in hand. It was no deadly weapon, but it had served him well enough until now.

If he was not following Clyde, then it would not matter, and Clyde would simply end up standing alone behind a tree for a bell or so. But knowing his own luck, Clyde doubted it was a misunderstanding and that he was not being followed.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tallis on June 27th, 2014, 11:51 am

Tallis was surprised to see that the man he was tailing had suddenly veered off the path and headed into the woods. Speeding up a bit, he quickly caught up to the edge of the path where he had slipped away. From this distance, Tallis could still make out his figure pushing forwards at a hurried pace. Of course, with the autumn foliage littering the ground, the man’s getaway was far from subtle.

Tallis mentally reprimanded himself. Clearly, he had gotten lost in his mental fixation, allowing himself to alert the stranger of his presence. Of course, the stranger was bound to notice him sooner or later; Tallis simply hadn’t wanted it to happen like this. Standing at the edge of the path, he battled with the urge to follow the man and the common sense that told him he should just leave and go back to finishing the job he had originally come to do.

As the stranger took a turn and disappeared from sight, Tallis felt his pulse quicken. This was his last chance. This was his only chance. It was rare for him to feel so impulsive, but he didn’t want to see a mage with such fascinating djed disappear. Tallis stepped off the path and began moving towards the spot where he had last seen the man before he had gone out of sight.

Reaching the general area where the man had moved out of sight, Tallis looked around but could see no sign of him. However, even despite his lack of tracking expertise, even Tallis could see that the stranger’s hurried footsteps had left a slightly visible trail. Looking to the ground, patches of leaves had clearly been moved. The scattered clumps of foliage that had been overturned by the stranger’s hurried footsteps glistened with wetness in the afternoon sunlight.

The signs weren’t an altogether clear indication of where the man had gone, and it wasn’t long before Tallis lost the trail. Looking backwards, Tallis had also disturbed his fair share of leaves, and he was unable to tell which footsteps belonged to him and which had belonged to the man he was tracking. As he calmed down and assessed the situation, a sudden thought struck him. Why had the man run away? Had he bolted into the woods because Tallis had frightened him? Or had he run away because he had reason to escape notice?

Tallis decided that the best option would be to try and talk to the man. If he had been scared into running, Tallis could try and reason with him, explaining that he meant no harm. And if he had darker intents, well… Tallis would do his best to be prepared. Tapping into his reservoirs of djed, Tallis exuded a few strands of res and allowed the magical substance to wrap around his hands.

“Hello there, neighbour!” Tallis announced, directing his voice in the general area where he thought the stranger might be hiding, “I mean you no harm! I was simply surprised to see another traveler leaving the city. Come out and let us talk like reasonable people!”

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 1st, 2014, 7:48 pm

From his hiding place, Clyde watched as the man following him stopped near him and looked about, trying to find where he had gone. He was in the general area, but couldn't narrow down exactly were he had gone. Or at least it appeared that way.

There seemed several reasons for this. Perhaps someone was indeed tracking him, perhaps someone had found out who he was, or some other reason for wanting him followed. However this didn't ring quite true, as why would someone who wanted him followed hire such a novice at the task?

Much more likely was that this man had not been hired, and was following Clyde for some other reason. Perhaps he knew he was a teacher, and thought he could get him to teach him on the side for cheap. Or perhaps he had a altogether more nefarious reason for following Clyde.

Regardless, Clyde didn't like being followed, and knew something was off.

As the man paused, he became unsure if he had anything to fear, or if perhaps the man might even just walk away. That is until he felt a tickle run down his spine, and saw from his hiding place the telltale sign of res, its shimmer and swirl and nature wafting out of his hands, wrapping about them. Clyde would know that substance anywhere, even from this distance.

Seeing it, as it glistened in the light from above, a frown fell over his face as the Reimancer began to speak. Clearly he had been right, there was clearly more to this than would first be evident. Clearly a Reimancer, and what he said was not true.

“Hello there, neighbour!”

“I mean you no harm! I was simply surprised to see another traveler leaving the city. Come out and let us talk like reasonable people!”

Pushing aside the facade of stealth and timidity, Clyde stepped out from his hiding spot, glaring at the other man, anger clear from his frown and the squint of his eye, as he called out a single line of words loudly at the man.

“Zith Shyke!”

Continuing to glare, Clyde took a step forward, staring the man down.

“That's what you are full of. What kind of fool do you take me for? First you follow me, and now you claim this was an innocent enough thing. At least now that you've been found, and need me to reveal myself. Oh yes then it was just a innocent little thing. If you meant me no harm, then why didn't you call my attention earlier, before we left town?”

Pausing for a moment, Clyde continued to glare at the man, an intimidating gesture he hoped as he stomped another foot forward.

“Second, you claim to mean me no harm, and yet I can visibly see you using magic by that substance about your hands. If you meant me no harm, then why did you arm yourself before speaking to me? How about the truth?”

Clyde's face turned from one of a frown, to a odd grinning grimace which was no less intimidating, and certainly just as friendly as the frown from before.

“Or would you prefer to cast forth more lies, in an attempt to fool me. Clearly I am one to so easily be conquered by your attempts at subversion and spying, that your words have completely fooled me into a sense of calm.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tallis on July 2nd, 2014, 12:46 am

Tallis winced and took a step back as the man loudly swore and emerged from behind a tree to move towards him. If he was expecting anything, it wasn’t this full-blown rant. Something about the way the man spoke made Tallis feel as if he was a child being scolded by an adult who had caught him misbehaving. Shaking off the feeling of belittlement, Tallis stood his ground. He forced himself to stay level-headed and responded to the verbal tirade.

“I had no reason to call your attention earlier,” Tallis answered, attempting to explain himself, “I was patrolling the path and saw you ahead of me. I’ll admit, you piqued my interest…” But before Tallis could finish speaking his thoughts, the stranger began the next barrage of accusations and questions.

“Second, you claim to mean me no harm, and yet I can visibly see you using magic by that substance about your hands. If you meant me no harm, then why did you arm yourself before speaking to me? How about the truth? Or would you prefer to cast forth more lies, in an attempt to fool me. Clearly I am one to so easily be conquered by your attempts at subversion and spying, that your words have completely fooled me into a sense of calm.”

“About the res,” Tallis held his hands up and opened them, using the slight gesture to transmute the small pools of res to air and dissipating whatever magical energy surrounded himself. “It was merely a precaution. I’m sure you’ve heard about that disaster with the Denvali that happened earlier this season? Even though it’s been a while now, it’s hard not to be a bit wary of strangers.”

“Allow me to try and make amends for earlier.” Tallis kept his hands open and in plain view, revealing that he was unarmed and meant no ill intention. “My name is Tallis. I happened to be on the road for patrol when I saw you. I had a fairly strong… “suspicion” that you were a mage – and a very interesting one at that. At least, very different from the mages down at the university…”

As he spoke, the desire for djed prodded at Tallis from the back of his mind. Having just used a bit of reimancy, his hunger was slightly augmented. Additionally, the aroma of the stranger’s djed was so clear from this distance that it was almost overwhelming. However, seeing the stranger in front of him quelled his cravings. Tallis was like a man with a hunger for beef who held a knife, but couldn’t bring himself to slaughter the cow. Although his desire for djed was strong, the moral compass that guided him was even stronger. However, as each tick went by, he wasn’t sure how long he would be able to hold out. He decided that it would be best to get out of this man’s hair before things got out of hand.

“I thought that maybe you had come out here to practice your magic - it’s something I’ve done as well – and I was hoping to see you in action. I’m very sorry for disturbing you. I’ll leave you alone now.”

oocI’m sorry that I couldn’t push the plot forward some more. Tallis is just too much of a good guy to do anything dramatic >_<

EDIT: Fixed my stupid mistake. I tried to work around it. Sorry again.

[/color]
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 11th, 2014, 12:10 am

When the man who had tried to sneak up on him finally did attempt to defend himself, he did so in a very predictable way. In retrospect, Clyde could have almost said word for word what he would say. Besides the fact that it was interrupting his tirade, it was obvious, a certain ploy to explain away something by a feasible but untrue statement.

“I had no reason to call your attention earlier, I was patrolling the path and saw you ahead of me. I’ll admit, you piqued my interest…”

Once he was done speaking, the man seemed to have more words of appeasement, trying to explain away and make himself appear innocent. However Clyde was not one to be easily fooled, and felt he already had a good idea of what was going on, and what this man was up to.

Clyde felt a slight tingle across his neck as the man transmuted his res. For a moment Clyde almost acted in defense, tensing up at the action and preparing to billow forth his own res in defense. However instead of some offensive element, he turned it to air. Surely a much less threatening action would have been to reabsorb it, instead of transmuting it before him in a show of magic.

“About the res.”

“It was merely a precaution. I’m sure you’ve heard about that disaster with the Denvali that happened earlier this season? Even though it’s been a while now, it’s hard not to be a bit wary of strangers.”

“Allow me to try and make amends for earlier.”

Though he kept his hands out were they could be seen, it did little to assuage Clyde's feelings about the man. After all, he was a mage, and a Reimancer, so clearly physical attacks were not the most likely method of attack. Hand gestures and spoken words, these would be far more likely signs of his magic being prepared, as they often were for Clyde's own magic.

“My name is Tallis. I happened to be on the road for patrol when I saw you. I had a fairly strong… “suspicion” that you were a mage – and a very interesting one at that. At least, very different from the mages down at the university…”

Clyde frowned at his words, at Tallis' words, saying he had a suspicion he was a mage. Clyde could only think of a few ways how such a thing could be told, mainly Auristics, or perhaps some other magic Clyde did not know of. But to learn so quickly he was a mage, even with Auristics... Either he was a really strong Aurist, which for some reason Clyde did not think likely... Or he had some other mechanism at work that had said he was a mage...

Or the all more likely conclusion, he knew he was a mage because he had been told, and he was in fact after Clyde for some reason or other. Clyde could not let such a thing pass, not if it was still a possibility. He also couldn't just let the man leave, not if he could be going off to report Rhysol knew what to someone or other.

“I thought that maybe you had come out here to practice your magic - it’s something I’ve done as well – and I was hoping to see you in action. I’m very sorry for disturbing you. I’ll leave you alone now.”

As the man indicated he was about to leave, another frown would come over Clyde's face, and he would take a step closer to putting himself between the man and the path back to the road. Still a fair ways away from him, more of a symbolic motion than one of truly blocking him.

“I think before you go anywhere, some things should be made clear. Namely why is it that you say I am a mage? Do you have some magical mystical means of detecting magic and such? Where exactly do your abilities lie. You say you had a suspicion I was a mage, but that does not tell me why you thought I in particular was a magic user.”

Taking a breath, Clyde eyed Tallis, and then broken into a long line of logic upon the situation.

“Also, perhaps I am wrong, but if I was a mage, or so I would imagine, and coming far away from people to do whatever this magic is you imagine I can do, wouldn't the most likely reason for that be privacy? Considering that, it seems a very rude action to then follow said person if that was their intent, since you would then be doing exactly what they have come out to avoid, being seen. That being said... If said person being followed did not want to be seen, and then you chose to follow them anyways... I cannot imagine said first person attempting privacy would react well to said privacy being broken. And yet believing that my intent in coming out here was that I was a mage, one who wanted privacy to practice magic, you decided to then follow said person anyways?”

“To be honest, I think you are rather stupid. On the one hand, should I not be a mage as you imagine, you would have followed someone for nothing. If I however was a mage, then in that case you would have been following someone who clearly did not wish to be followed, and who likely would react violently to being followed. I don't really see how you thought you would gain from such an endeavor, since either way your reception seems to be negative.”

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)