[The Infirmary] Afflictions Flesh and Soul

[Aoren]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Edreina on July 19th, 2014, 8:50 am

55th Day of Summer, 514 AV
The Infirmary, Zeltiva's University
13th Bell

The smell of disinfectant, something distantly related to the scent of the Lethshine she had consumed with Razkar in days gone by, stung Edreina's nose, at first as she stepped into the Infirmary. The freckled protrusion crinkled faintly in distaste as her silvery blue eyes adjusted to the dimmer interior. She had come to a main room with four hallways and people bustling from one to the other, carrying rags clean, rags soiled, and all manner of unusual instruments. There was something unnerving about a place where so many sick resided together and where death came so regularly. The Svefra could feel it in her bones and was rooted in place, for an instant.

"Can I assist you?" The Svefra's head whipped to the side to see a full-figured young woman beaming up at her. Instead of speaking immediately, Edreina's bright gaze flicked quickly over her, taking an inventory of sorts. The smile was genuine, reaching all the way up to her light brown eyes, showing that she had genuine care for her job and concern for the wellbeing of others. Her bun was slightly loose and there were flyaway hairs sticking out at odd angles; this woman was always busy but had a habit of rushing about, often a consequence of scattered thought and innate forgetfulness. On the hem of her robe, just above her broad breasts was a small stain, crusted with food; she had just come from lunch and did not make a habit of looking down nor checking herself in the mirror; attentive and humble. There were ink stains on the outer edge of her left hand, meaning that was the hand with which she wrote, so her eyes wandered next to the right side of her body, searching for any unusual lumps that could indicate a concealed weapon.

When silver blue eyes returned to the woman's, she noted that confusion had started to form. On instinct, Edreina started to pull Djed from her core and form it into a hypnotism meant to ease the woman's confusion, but stopped. It was possible that this woman was more than she looked to be, perhaps skilled in Auristics, and could have seen use of magic. It was very easy for her to slip up and be perceived as a threat; this city had far greater knowledge of magic than Sunberth and a greater activity and mingling of practitioners than did Sahova. It had been easy for her to determine that Annalisa had no knowledge of her hypnotism so she would simply have to use the same process with anyone she met, here.

By the time the redhead had finished her observations and decision, confusion showed in full on the diminutive student's face. Just as her lips began to roll inward in preparation of the M sound that would likely become Madam, Miss, or Ma'am, Edreina chose to speak. "Yes I-" one slender hand encircled by a pale cuff of violet stone made an errant motion in the hand as she brought an apologetic smile to her lips. "You'll have to forgive me. I need to see a healer." Even as Edreina watched, the young woman's brow pinched together and her narrow eyes scanned over the taller woman's body, seeking some sign of injury and coming up with none, only to be confused again. Again, before the little woman with sandy eyes could speak, Edreina did. "They are a season old, now. I just want to find out what the long term effects of them could be. I was... unable to see a healer at the time." Never had Edreina wanted so badly to use Hypnotism. It would make everything so much faster and, even more appealing, easier. She was still incredibly uncomfortable with even alluding to her time on Sahova to a stranger.

"Right..." The woman said, lips pursing and moving to the side as she thought. "Right! I believe I know who can help you! Luckily, he's in, today." Something about the amount of time it took the woman to process and decide upon Edreina's request worried the woman. Would she be given a lower quality healer simply because her injuries did not look life threatening? If anything, she needed the most skill she could acquire. Gods only knew what lay beneath the surface of her skin. But how did she ask for someone that could see that?

This time, it was the student-healer that did not allow Edreina to speak. Instead, she turned on her dainty heel and started to lead Edreina down a corridor from the main room. After passing a door on either side, the Svefra was led to the second room on the right. In this room was a table tilted to facilitate easy writing, two chairs, and one padded table with a small table of instruments beside it. This room was without windows but incredibly well lit by a pair of lanterns that seemed to give off more light than was natural.

"He will be with you in just a moment!" As if suddenly intent on winning the "doing things before the other can speak" game, the robed woman fluttered from the room far too gracefully for a woman her size. The door creaked shut behind her and Edreina's heart leapt into her throat.

Such a small room...

Alone... Again...

Just breathe! Focus! You won't be alone for long!

Will that really be any better? Any safer?

At least the other room had been blessed with windows. This one? Far too small and too familiar. All walls looked the same in the flickering light of a fire, those inhabited by healers and cruel wizards alike. Nearly frantically, Edreina rushed towards the wall, one with a sconced lantern.

Trembling hands remained at her side as she leaned in to the lamp, examining it in nearly obsessive detail. The flame was lighter than others she had seen, indicating it should have burned hotter, and yet it gave off nearly no heat. There were strange etchings in the handle of the lantern and it's crown. Glyphs? The metal itself seemed perfectly ordinary but-

The door started to creak again and the willowy Svefra lurched away from the door, moving instinctively to press her back against the wall and, instead, spilling herself over one of those damned chairs and onto the floor. Her back end shouted, but it was her pride that was injured.

Common
Fratavan
Myrian
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on July 19th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Aoren stood quietly behind the bench of a rudimentary philtering station in the Infirmary of Zeltiva’s University. He had been working the floor treating patients for a number of illnesses and injuries for an unknown number of hours at this point. The night prior there had been an urgent knocking on his door in the dormitories requesting his assistance in the Infirmary immediately. From that point on Aoren had been working. He had been sitting by the bedside of those who were seriously ill or injured praying to the goddess to alleviate their suffering.

Some things he had been able to treat. There had been others that he could only comfort mitigating the symptoms of their ailment until such time as a more skilled individual could see to them. He had been working almost non-stop for hours. It was only when one of the other attendants in the Infirmary had urged him to use one of the quiet rooms to sleep that he got some rest. It had been a brief reprieve before he’d jumped straight into his work again.

At the present moment he was buried very deeply in a book centered around common herbs and their uses. The page he was staring at was in relation to aiding one of the patients he was tending to.

Stinging Nettle is perhaps one of the more commonly overlooked plants given its reputation. However, if handled properly the healing properties of the plant are far more potent than it suggests. It is an excellent method of treating a variety of ailments to include the bone aches that come with age, respiratory issues and allergic reactions. Methods of distribution include directly applying the leaves, untreated, to joints where severe pain and ache is present or distilling the healing properties into a tea.

It was the latter of the two treatments that Aoren was considering. The young man that he was treating was suffering from the onset of an allergic reaction. It was being managed at the moment but he would quickly need to be administered a more long term treatment for his affliction. The remedy that Aoren was considering would be able to do that.

It was fortunate that the Infirmary kept a stock of various common herbs that could be applied medicinally albeit it wasn't in large amounts. There wasn’t much in the cupboards of the philtering space provided in the Univeristy sponsored medical station but it was enough to work with for the time being. Fortunately he had had the foresight to prepare the station ahead of time acting on a hunch that his skills with the craft might be of use. The water was already boiling having passed through the proper filtration system. He needed only to treat the leaves of the plant itself.

Going to the cupboard he searched through the shelves until he found the plant that matched the sketch in the book. The leaves were dried and no doubt lacking in freshness but they would have to do. Aoren slipped on a pair of thin leather gloves then unscrewed the lid to the glass jar. The smell of dried leaves and earth filled his nostrils as soon as he removed the lid.

It wasn’t unpleasant merely strong. Reaching inside he grasped one of the leaves frowning as he felt it crunch between his fingers. The tea would not be as potent but it would serve in a pinch. Aoren withdrew four leaves from the jar before screwing the lid back on replacing it on the shelf. He made a mental note to go collect more herbs before the day was out. Scanning the pages of the book he nodded then placed the leaves in the bottom of a tin kettle. Grasping the waiting hot water he poured it over the leaves until the kettle was ¾ of the way full. Setting the kettle on a tray along with two tea cups he exited the small lab making his way back to the bedside of his patient.

Nicholas?” The young man was breathing heavily as he met Aoren’s gaze. Aoren could already see that he was straining under the weight of his allergic reaction. The severity of the reaction was too extensive for Aoren to Heal outright. It would require the use of medicines and a small amount of continued therapy under careful observation. Aoren gave him a gentle smile as a small way of reassuring him that everything was going to be just fine.

I’ve brought you some tea. It is from a plant that will alleviate your symptoms and treat your reaction long-term. It needs to sit for a short time but while we wait for it to settle I will tend to you again.” Nodding weakly the young man gave Aoren a thumbs-up before wheezing his thank you.

Th-thanks.” Aoren just nodded setting the tray down on the bedside end table.

Lie back. I know that will make breathing more difficult but it will become easier in a moment.” Aoren had already seen to the young man’s breathing once with his gift so Nicholas knew the drill. Pulling up a chair Aoren seated himself. He rest a hand upon the young man’s forehead. He could already hear his strained wheezing. He could feel the tightness in his brow as he furrowed it trying to draw deeper breaths. Aoren didn’t bother telling him to relax. There simply was no relaxing when the most basic of functions such as breathing was in jeopardy of being obstructed. With his other hand Aoren pressed his palm to Nicholas’s chest. No words were spoken but inwardly Aoren was reciting a prayer to Rak’keli calling upon the strength of her gift.

Blessed Goddess, be with me as I reach out to relieve this man of his suffering. Fill me with the breath of life and with each of my breaths let it pass to him.

As the words flowed through Aoren’s mind the mark on the right side of his face glowed brightly shining with a cerulean light. That light traveled from where it rested on his face down his arms through his hands and into the young man. The moment it did Aoren heard the difference in his breathing. He drew deeper, clearer breaths but there was still the slight wheeze. As he withdrew his hands Nicholas suddenly caught one in his own grasp.

Thank you.” There was relief in his eyes and gratitude in his voice. Aoren had been treating the young man for well over two bells at this point. His exposure had been quite severe. The Drykas man merely nodded.

Rest now. When you begin to feel the tightness in your chest returning pour the tea and drink. Drink it slowly. The relief will not be immediate but it will come. I will be back to check on you soon.” There was the soft clearing of a throat toward the door. Aoren turned to see one of the other attendants standing there patiently. She bowed her head to Aoren and he in turn to her.

Healer Skycrown, there is a young woman in need of your attention.” Aoren was still not used to being addressed so formally. Thus far he had yet to encounter another Rak’keli marked Healer in Zeltiva. Perhaps that was why she curtsied as he rose from Nicholas’s bedside. He wasn’t entirely comfortable with such a gesture but she refused to stop even after he’d asked her to.

Thank you. What room is she in?

Down the hall. The fourth room on your left.” Aoren nodded. He smiled at Nicholas giving the young man a slight bow before doing the same to the other attendant. As he passed he spoke softly to her.

Please check on him in about thirty chimes. He needs to drink at least half the kettle before he leaves. I’d still like to see him before he does. The tea is of the Stinging Nettle plant. If it turns out he needs more I have a station ready in the lab.” She nodded. Aoren knew that she had taken all of his words in and would see to them with excellent efficiency. There were likely things that she knew that would make the young man’s life easier. With that he made his way quietly down the hall. When he reached the appropriate room Aoren took a moment to straighten up his attire.

He was wearing a grey cotton shirt with a v-shaped collar that came up to his neck about mid-way. The sleeves of the shirt were a darker shade of blue that blended in with the dark grey of the main body. Around his forearms and his wrists were mildly decorative leather bands set in place to prevent the excess cloth from getting in the way of his work. A matching sash decorated the same as the bands around his forearms kept the shirt from billowing away from his trim waist. He wore dark grey cotton trousers tucked into matching cloth boots. Over his shoulders was a long dark grey sleeveless cloth coat. It hung open with no clasps to speak of making it easy to remove.

Aoren was still adjusting to attire he considered much, much finer than what he’d grown accustomed to. Compared to the life he’d lived in Syliras however his old clothes hardly seemed suitable with the styles for Zeltiva. They had made him stick out like a sore thumb. So to avoid it all he’d gone to a clothier’s shop to get something tailor made. The tailor at The Saville had been quite attentive. When Aoren was satisfied he was little more presentable he knocked on the door then stepped inside. What he was treated to was a very startled red haired woman who stumbled backwards tripping over a chair. Aoren’s eyebrows went up as his cobalt blue eyes scanned her. Without delay he stepped forward offering a hand to help her to her feet.

I apologize. I did not mean to startle you. Please, let me help you up.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on July 24th, 2014, 8:35 pm

OOCApologies for how short it is. xD
"I apologize. I did not mean to startle you. Please, let me help you up."

"No no! It was my fault." The redhead forced her hair from her face so that her vision was unobstructed. "You're not the first. I'm afraid I spook much too easily these days..." Though she forced a laugh, there was an element of despair in her voice, the mark of one who resented many aspects of the person they had become but had no more idea how to change them than to change the very fabric of the world around them. Instead of allowing the healer to help her or, rather, to touch her, Edreina twisted and rose to her feet.

Before she could bring herself to say anymore the Svefra slowed her breath infinitesimally and focused upon the new man, seeking to absorb as much information about him as she could manage.

First, Edreina examined his face. Lack of age-lines and fading or thinning in the color of his hair put him in his mid to late twenties, only a few years older than Edreina. Even so, he had a faint and permanent crease between his eyebrows, leading the keen Svefra to believe that he was one prone to being lost in thought or spending long periods of time concentrating on various tasks. Briefly, she paused on his eyes, marveling at the color and the openness of them. Blue was common among her kin but it had been some time since she had seen so clear, deep, and pure a blue. What did that say of the man who wore such gems? There was a softness around his eyes, an innate look of genuine care and concern Edreina had not seen, even in herself, in quite some time. And then, on top of it all, was the strange, opalescent mark that shone across his face. Immediately, Edreina knew it had not been caused by any injury or misfortune. If anything, it immediately gave her a sense of peace and security, something she had craved for quite some time.

Who was this man?

His clothes were simple and rather beautifully made. Obviously he was a man that took pride in his appearance and, by extension, the way in which he lived his life, but he was also humble. He was not one to flaunt his abilities and that led Edreina to wonder if even he knew the full extent of exactly what he could do. It was not that he did not look to be one who did not challenge himself - quite the contrary as her image of him continued to form - but someone who avoided unnecessary risks. There were faint wrinkles around his collar and the waistline, indicative of fidgeting with his clothes. It was not likely that this was a nervous tick but one that stemmed from being unaccustomed to his current standings. Perhaps he had come from another city or simply another socio-economic class. The two did not meet much distinction with Edreina who was still unused to the concept of classes and variances in the ways of people between different cities; all Svefra were one under the great eye of Laviku.

And then, there were his words. Instead of simply asking if she was ok, he had apologized and offered to help her up. Few words spoke volumes to the red haired woman, putting her more at ease than she had been in some time.

Overall, he seemed to be the right sort of person to be healing and would thrive in such a profession. Still, Edreina could not bring herself to trust him personally, but she could trust him professionally with the care of her body.

"I'm sorry..." She said, again, shaking her head faintly. "I'm unused to being around those who do not mean me harm in some way..." Why are you telling him that? With a sigh, Edreina moved to perch on the examination table. The stiffness in her back and shoulders cried of a lack of comfort, but a determination to do what was necessary. "I'm not sure how this is supposed to go..." Blue eyes shot through with silver and pale green peered up at the substantially taller healer, allowing him to take the lead as they continued forward.

Common
Fratavan
Myrian
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aoren on July 24th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Aoren slowly lowered his hand bringing it to rest behind his back. He clasped it at the wrist adopting a very relaxed posture as he observed the red haired woman pulling herself to her feet. His expression was one of concern as he watched her. However he would not intrude upon her desire to be self-sufficient. He did not miss the mildly hysterical tone in her voice which caused him to furrow his brow even further. This statement was then followed by a forceful effort to calm down. The measured tempo of her breathing, the way her shoulders twitched as she commanded them to relax. Her unease was written all over the planes of her face and the lines of her body.

As the woman made her assessment of Aoren, he made his own about her. Red hair that was slightly dull and coarse in appearance. It looked as if it had once been full and lustrous but that time was gone and had been for some time now. Her face was young. She was likely around Aoren’s age but it was lined with hints of stress. The downward turn of her mouth, the tightness around her eyes, the set of her brow these were all things that told him she was a fearful woman. What was it that drove her to be so heavily on the defensive.

Her eyes reminded him of someone he’d known years ago. Her name whispered across the stream of his consciousness. This woman, with her red hair and silvery blue eyes bearing likeness to the sea, was no doubt a Svefra. It made sense. Her movements were strong. The line of her back was straight and she held her head high despite the obvious edge to her mood. She was a proud woman who bowed to few. Aoren wondered then.

What could set a woman like this on edge? He got his answer.

I’m unused to being around those who do not mean me harm in some way…

Aoren contemplated on how best to respond to such a statement. He could find no way to sympathize and spouting meaningless platitudes was not his way. So he said nothing. His expression of concern did not change though he was now aware of the fact that he needed to tread cautiously in this examination. Here was a woman who hinted at being abused. No doubt she was made that much more uncomfortable by the fact that she was in a windowless room with a man. Alone. No matter the fact that he didn’t mean her any harm. It was still an unsettling position to be in.

I’m not sure how this is supposed to go…

Aoren quietly stepped over to a chair. He brought it to sit directly in front of the exam table then slid into his seat. He crossed one leg over the other resting both hands in his lap. His gaze passed over the red haired woman’s figure taking in the paler skin and very thin appearance. There was a slight gauntness to her face. With a steady breath he spoke.

That would depend on you, ma’am.” Aoren let the statement hang in the air for a moment. It was true. The Drykas man could only do as much as this woman was willing to allow him to do. If she refused his examination he would politely bow and take his leave.

My name is Aoren. I am one of the Healers privileged to serve Zeltiva.” Aoren would give her the time to introduce herself if she so chose. After he would press on with his explanation.

If you like you may begin by telling me why you’re here. What is bothering you? If you have injuries I will examine them using the gifts at my disposal or we may simply discuss them if you are not comfortable with such a notion.” Aoren knew that his statement would bring about questions. What gifts? What could he do? Before she could question him he raised his right hand rotating his wrist to display the Seer’s Lily. It shimmered bearing a sheen similar to that of the mark on the right side of his face.

By the grace of Avalis, Goddess of Seers I can examine not just you as you are here and now but as you were in times past. I can be there as the wounds or perhaps the illness first came to be. I can see and study how they affected you and by doing so form a way to best help you.” He lowered his hand bringing it to rest in his lap once again.

Or I can study your aura to see what regions of your body are not in balance and harmony with the rest. Once that is done by the grace of Rak’keli, Goddess of Healing, I can aid you if not with her blessing than perhaps through a combination of her gift and other skills.” Leaning forward bringing both feet to rest on the flat on the floor he studied the Svefra woman carefully.

The choice is yours. You may also refuse my assistance in favor of a different caretaker if that would make you more comfortable.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on August 2nd, 2014, 11:27 pm

"That would depend on you, ma'am."

Well! If that was not a refreshing change from the life she had become accustomed to...

"My name is Aoren. I am one of the Healer's privileged to serve Zeltiva."

Smiling faintly, Edreina found herself dissecting his choice in words once again. He wasted no time on his own name - choosing to leave out any family name, titles, accomplishment - and moved quickly onto his occupation and location. Saying that he was "one of" instead of "a" Healer started to cement the Svefra's deduction that he was more of a "we" man and not a "me" man. He was one who saw himself as a part of a whole. But, more than that, he was a big-picture operator who tended to focus on how others also fit into a much grander scheme; he spoke of serving Zeltiva, not healing the people of the city itself. The feather-light detail serving to highlight something Edreina had already noted about this healer was the fact he said he was "privileged" and there was no cynicism in his words nor any notes of obligation to say such things which would have hinted to a oppressive governing system within the Healer's of Zeltiva. In an instant, he was able to give her insight to himself and even the people with whom he worked.

"I am Edreina." There was no longer a focus upon the subtle pronunciation of her name as there had been in the past. No pride in the recitation of her pod name or even a mention of it to begin with. It was rather plain, as far as greetings went, but it served its purpose. He was about to be the only person - aside from the woman who committed the inhumane atrocities herself - who knew of the secrets and shadows that plagued her soul; what was the point in wasting time with formalities, even those as simple as her name.

What Edreina refused to admit to herself was her hesitance to address the topic of exactly what her name was, now.

Aoren began to speak and Edreina fell silent, lips pursed and clenched palms breaking out in a sticky, cold sweat. Breaking her still gaze with motion, Aoren put some sort of a tattoo on display, bringing a question to the Svefra's lips as to its significance.

Immediately, as he continued, the young woman regretted so inane a question. Had she been more focused on him than the turmoil poisoning her mind, she would have known that the lily was no ordinary tattoo but something as magical as the still unnamed mark on his face. Avalis... Goddess of Seers... Yet another to add to the ever growing pantheon in Edreina's mind.

More intriguing than the mark itself was what it allowed Aoren to do. A glimmer of Edreina's old curiosity rose to the surface and part of her wondered how so beatific a person would handle such atrocities. The rest was still reeling over the ability to see things through time. Time. If it were a mountain, would Aoren be a man that could travel across its surface while others were confined to their individual cliffs or one that could simply see the others and their cliffs as clearly as if they were standing beside him? Was Aoren's gift the sort to manifest in visions or... experiences?

If that was not enough, the multi-faceted healer could also read auras, something that Edreina had been struggling with for seasons. Obviously, he was one of the most talented men she had met in her travels and, as a bonus, not evil.

By the time he mentioned his blessing from Rak'keli, Edreina was past the point of possibly being surprised. Of course two gods would want to put their finger on this man. What are you waiting for, Yahal? This guy is prime real estate.

Finally, she was given a choice.

"And offend the gods that worked so hard to bring us together? No... Aoren, I do believe that you and all of your abilities are exactly what I need." There was little praise and no patronization in her voice, only a statement of what she believed to be a fact and the quiet undertone of wondering what purpose she would serve for him. It would be rude for her to let someone help her so personally and pay him with cold, impersonal coin. If there was something she could do to help him, she endeavored to do so. It had been awhile since she felt this way around another human and already she could feel herself wanting to cling to it.

There was work to be done, though.

Abruptly, fear and a lack of surety seized the redhead once again, stiffening her frame and tightening the line of her mouth. Her hands rolled into slightly sweaty fists as she stood and took a steadying breath."I suppose I should just undress and let you go about your work... You'll have to forgive me if I cannot speak to the cause of my injuries as they are more painful to think about than they are physically, now. They are all healed, at least I think that they are, but I wish to know if the damage is more than what meets the eye and if they will hinder me in time to come. I will answer any questions you have as well as I can. There are times when-... I was not treated as a human and my mind did not function as a human's should have." As she spoke, her clothes were removed efficiently and set on the table. By the time she was done, her eyes were on the wall behind Aoren and her body utterly still. The only things left on her body were the three violet stone cuffs about her neck and wrists, emblazoned with the burning scroll of her former mistress.

There was something about being without clothes, again, without all that made her feel human again, that struck a cord in Edreina's mind. She could not look down and face the atrocities that had been committed on her own skin, minor though they may have looked in comparison to what was possible had Annalisa not be a possessive mistress.

Her body was a catalogue of torture techniques meant to teach a subject without putting her life in jeopardy. Save for once. The initials painstakingly burned into her upper thigh had nearly taken her life with the infection that had followed. Amongst the thousands of freckles, there were dozens of pale, pink marks no larger than the tip of her index finger. Placing her hand on her pale hip, the frostbitten black of her left pinky finger was stark, as was the missing knuckle and beyond which looked to have been removed with the sharpest knife possible. Above her left ear was another burn, a patch where hair would no longer grow. There was a throb as her bare body remembered bruises long faded and how it felt to be forced onto the stone floor or wall. Though she had gained a small amount of weight and filled out her frame, evidence of malnutrition was still evident in her features. The still-prominent joints on her right side and the skin over her spine bore flat, round, pale scars, as well, the product of sleeping curled up in a stone corner.

It was not so bad, compared to that which happened to others every day. But, Edreina had been plunged from a world of joy and hope and promise and hope to one where all of those things could be torn away by another person on a whim. The damage was far more than skin deep; her soul bore just as many scars.

With all of this, it would be easy to overlook the hairline scar across her throat and the angry scar just above her collarbone, mementos of a happier time, ironically. Yahal's gnosis and Laviku's had taken up a shared space on her back. The tattoo over her stomach had been distorted by weight loss, looking now like a wavering black line that curved from her ribs to her hip.

Another breath trembled into Edreina's lungs as she motioned for Aoren to begin when he pleased.

Common
Fratavan
Myrian
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Aoren on August 3rd, 2014, 7:03 am

Edreina.

Her name was that of the ocean waves pressing against the seashore. In his mind’s eye he could see the crisp, clear waters of the Suvan cascading against the shores of a distant coast. He saw a ship with white sails surrounded by sea foam ushered in on the strong ocean breeze. The image was so real and so vivid Aoren could feel the warmth of Syna upon his face. He could hear the gulls calling out to the ship. He could feel the spray of the sea on his cheeks and feel the wind in his hair. The next moment the image faded. Running his fingers over the lily upon the back of his hand Aoren wondered if perhaps the Goddess had visited upon him a vision of this woman’s past. It did not happen often but there had been times when Aoren bore witness to the lives of those around him involuntarily. Sometimes what he had seen was beautiful. Sometimes, not so much.

He bowed his head as she consented to his treatment of her injuries then listened to what she had to say. Throughout all of it his face remained impassive though his chest ached at the mention, the hint of what Edreina had been put through. As her clothes fell away his brow furrowed and an anger rose up inside of him. Anger, and grief. To see her body marred in so many inhumane ways was so utterly perverse and wrong to the Drykas man he had a difficult time wrapping his head around it. Rising from his seat he spoke softly, his tone smooth but firm.

Judgement is for a court room, Edreina. You will find none of that here.” Aoren’s eyes began steadily taking in the scars dotting the Svefra’s body. There were numerous. Each one told a story. Each one was made with precision, that much Aoren could tell. He refrained from touching her throughout the whole of his examination. The last thing he wanted was for Edreina to get the feeling that she was nothing more than something for him to poke and prod. As she had said, the wounds were all healed so all that was left to worry about were any lasting effects on her health. Those answers he would not be able to discern at a mere glance. He took note of the letters burned into her thigh. His keen eyes caught sight of the hair thin scar along her neck and the remnant of the wound upon her shoulder.

So much agony written on the surface of one body. I almost hesitate to look deeper.

It was a chilling thought. Aoren had Seen his fair share of the darker side of humanity. It existed. It was something that simply couldn’t be denied. It was something he wished he could have shielded those he cared for from. Those thoughts were dismissed as he came to the unearthly beautiful markings that graced her back. Staring at them he knew immediately they were not etched upon her body by mortal hands.

Godsmarks. Gnosis.

Two of them in all and both as stunning as his own. Through her ordeal, Aoren wondered if perhaps she’d turned to her faith to survive. Having grown up in Syliras Aoren was familiar with the wings of Yahal, Lord of Faith and Purity. It spoke volumes to him of the woman’s character. The other mark he was less familiar with but knew it was common among the seafaring people. The name of it however, escaped him. Going to a nearby cupboard he retrieved a fresh sheet. He then stepped into her field of vision motioning to the exam table.

Please, lay down on your back.” While not the most flattering of directions there was no trace of lewdness or lust in Aoren’s gaze. His demeanor was strictly professional. His posture respectful. He waited for her to get situated before unfurling the sheet covering her to preserve for her what modesty he could.

I am going to examine the markings on your thigh.” Keeping her aware of his intentions he folded back the portion of the sheet covering her thigh where rest the branded initials. Aoren lightly placed his right hand upon her thigh covering the initials. Immediately upon contact with her skin the mark of Rak’keli flared to life. Azure light highlighted the shape of the gnosis before trailing down the length of Aoren’s arm into his hand. The light itself was soothing to behold. It banished the soreness of a tired body or the weariness of an aching head. As the light reached his hand it visibly illuminated the internal structure of Aoren’s limb. The infinite webbing of his veins as well as the shadow of his bones were on display for a few moments before the light passed into Edreina. What pain the muscles in her leg might have felt, would evaporate. Stiffness would abate, scratches and bruising would fade as if rolling away with the tide. Not only that but the joyous light of Rak’keli would even wind its way into the depths of Edreina’s heart soothing the ache of anxiety and depression.

Aoren did not pause in his examination. Through the medium of touch he focused on the meaning and significance of the scars beneath his hand. Staring down at Edreina’s thigh he exhaled slowly. He blinked and the world as it was faded into the background. Outwardly it would appear that Aoren’s gaze had become distant. His body frozen in idle meditation as he stared down at his hand upon Edreina’s thigh. Inwardly however, the wonders of the ethereal realm unfolded before Aoren’s eyes.

It never ceased to amaze him, the majesty of the Chavena. So monumentally complex in their design were they that he never tired of staring at them. Edreina’s Chavi was a beautiful web of crystal strings that spiraled up into infinity. With only the slightest hesitation he reached for the threads of who she was as they extended out from her body. He used the anchor of his touch to center his thoughts focusing on the history, the memory of the scars themselves and how they came to be. It did not take long for him to find what he was looking for.

Deep in the bowels of a dark place he Saw Edreina being subjected to the inhuman branding at the hands of her captors. He Saw her suffering. He Saw the infection that followed and the events that nearly claimed her life. What insight there was to gain was for him to discern for all he could See, all he could experience were the events that played out from Edreina’s perspective. When Aoren returned to the present time he blinked a few times inhaling a steady breath.

Such suffering.” His voice was a whisper. He closed his eyes bracing himself for the wave of emotion that barreled through him. He could feel Edreina’s agony, her fear, the echo of what was rippling through his consciousness. With a deep breath he pushed through such feelings centering himself in the here and now. Straightening up he spoke to the young woman gently.

Turn onto your side, please?
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 24th, 2014, 12:23 am

Aoren

Experience
Herbalism +1 XP
Deduction +1 XP
Medicine +1 XP

Lores
Stinging Nettle: Helps joint pain, respiratory problems, allergic reactions.
Stinging Nettle: Can be applied directly to skin or be used in tea
How to mitigate an allergic reaction
Edriena the abused Svefra
Edriena: Not used to friendly company
Edriena: Marked by Yahal and Laviku
Using Divination to find long term hindrances of scars
Determining long term effects of scars

Items/Consequences
Item Description
N/A N/A

Additional Comments

Despite the thread being cut short, I really enjoyed both of your guys' writing. It was great to see Aoren be able to help Edriena mentally as well as physically, and it was really gnarly for me to read someone use Divination IC. Everything about this thread, I think either amazed me or taught me something, and in some cases both. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so naturally, I'm disappointed that it ended abruptly.

If you have any questions or concerns at all about your grade, feel free to PM me and we can see if we can get it settled. Thanks for the great read!

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)