PM to join Into the Woods and Far Away

An unsucessful hunt turns into a chance meeting.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Into the Woods and Far Away

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on August 1st, 2014, 9:57 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina settled herself more comfortably on the grass by the fire, starting to feel more at ease around Yuri. He seemed to be a good sort, but she'd stay on guard for a while longer just to be safe. His obvious embarrassment at not having a cooking pot was met with a gentle smile and a nonchalant shrug from the red haired Kelvic, "Meh....no matter. I'd probably only ruin your meat with the attempt anyway. No need to apologise....I'm not expecting you to pluck random items from thin air....though that would be a neat trick if you could." She smirked a bit at her bad attempt at humor, not really caring if Yuri found the comment amusing or not. The strips of meat on the spits mixed with the herbs started to fill the air with a delicious scent that made her mouth start to water. Apparently she was hungrier than she'd first thought.

Y uri sat down beside her when he was finished placing the meat and vegetables to cook. Not so close as to make Saraphina's defenses rise, but close enough that they were both comfortable with the distance. The look of surprise on the mercenary's face at her honest question was a bit funny. She had long ago come to accept that there were a lot of things in the world that she didn't know about and the easiest way to learn about them was to ask people that did know. She wasn't ashamed of her lack of education in the world....it wasted too much time trying to be subtle about it, so Saraphina just preferred to bluntly ask and wait for the response to her inquires. Yuri's response of, “Well Saraphina, it’s reasonably simple, a mercenary is like... a soldier or guard for hire, most take money to perform any job they are asked, especially when the price is high enough. I believe differently to most other mercenaries in so much as, I don’t accept any job which entails me having to kill another living being, partly because of my devotion to Dira, but also due to my own sense of morality and honour, so as for it being possible, I suppose that it is a personal choice as to how honourable an individual is.”

T he idea of being able to choose which jobs she could do and be paid for was highly appealing. Saraphina knew that she'd eventually have to find work as the money she had won't last forever. She'd had thoughts of simply hunting and selling her kills, but knowing how much she'd gotten in Avanthal for the pelts and meat, Saraphina knew that she'd have to hunt almost everyday just to make ends meet. But this mercenary work....it called to her independent streak. She could pick which jobs to perform at will....not be forced or ordered by someone else to perform it. Yuri's opinion on not killing another wasn't shared by her. Saraphina had no problems with ending a life if need be. She didn't particularly take joy in it, it was simply the law of nature which she followed. Death was natural, it happened all the time. As Yuri turned the spits, Saraphina mused out loud, "A mercenary chooses which jobs to take and which to deny.....that is....very appealing. I don't like taking orders from anyone, being able to pick and choose your tasks. I could defiantly get used to that. Is that why you practice with your sword? I imagine some of the jobs you take to guard people end up with you fighting someone else who's armed. I've never tried to use a weapon....mostly I fight with my hands or in my animal form. But I think I'd like to try out being a mercenary. And I should probably learn to use some kind of weapon. What would you recommend Yuri?"

S he choose not to asked the swordsman about Dira. She'd always known that other Gods and Goddess's besides Morwen must exist, but she'd really paid no attention to them. Honestly she didn't know the names of....well, all the divine beings besides Morwen. She just hadn't cared enough to bother. Yuri's choice of following was his own and he'd been respectful and polite to her. She would show the same curtsey and not question his religion. And Saraphina was beginning to see parts of Yuri's personality now that the two had reach a somewhat comfortable existence. He was a rather soft hearted man. After all, not many would invite a complete stranger that might very well murder you when you back was turned to sit at their fire and have a meal with them. And his confession of not killing another living creature was easy enough to believe....after all the man had allowed a massive carnivorous feline to walk up to him without raising so much as a fist in defence. The meat on the sticks had turned a light brown with charcoal black edges. Saraphina poked at one with her long nails and questioned lightly, "These smell really good.....do you think there ready yet?"

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Yuri Lehrer on August 4th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Yuri was glad that Saraphina hadn’t found his lack of a cooking implement an issue, and she also made an attempt at a joke which lifted his spirits a little. When he looked at the spits, Yuri thought about how much longer it would take for the meat to cook Judging by the colour... and smell, it should take maybe another couple of minutes to cook. When he returned to the events going on about him, Yuri noted that Saraphina was talking... or rather it seemed as though she was thinking out loud "A mercenary chooses which jobs to take and which to deny.....that is....very appealing. I don't like taking orders from anyone, being able to pick and choose your tasks. I could defiantly get used to that. Is that why you practice with your sword? I imagine some of the jobs you take to guard people end up with you fighting someone else who's armed. I've never tried to use a weapon....mostly I fight with my hands or in my animal form. But I think I'd like to try out being a mercenary. And I should probably learn to use some kind of weapon. What would you recommend Yuri?"

Yuri wondered about she had said for a couple of moments, trying to formulate a reply, when he had it, he said it slowly and meaningfully as though he was a teacher trying to explain something to a student, which, in a way, he was “I practice with my sword because I personally can’t stand not knowing how to defend myself should I need to, and because it gives me something to do when I am not looking for a job. As for what weapon you use... it would depend on many different factors, whether you rely on speed over power, stabbing attacks over sweeping or crushing blows.” Yuri had stood up and unsheathed his sword to demonstrate his point, mimicking the types of attack he stated, a thrust, an overhand cut, and a sideswipe, when he was done, Yuri sheathed his sword and sat down once more placing his arms behind him, and looked up at the sky, it was a nice calm blue.

When he looked back down to his campsite, Yuri’s nose smelt the now pungent aroma of the meat and vegetables, his mouth watered a little at this, and he swallowed the excess liquid. After swallowing the spittle, Yuri unconsciously turned to face Saraphina as she started talking "These smell really good.....do you think they’re ready yet?" Yuri couldn’t deny that they smelt really nice, and looked over at the meat and vegetables, trying to gauge whether they were cooked now Let’s see... they appear more or less cooked, they certainly smell really good... Resolving on his response, Yuri replied to Saraphina’s question “Aye, they certainly smell ready and the look about ready as well...” Yuri trailed off as he stood up and moved over to the food and plucked the spits from their resting place before walking back around to Saraphina, offering her the spit with the larger piece of meat on it, speaking in a happy tone as he did so “Let’s Eat.” It was at that particular moment however that Yuri remembered that he hadn’t answered Saraphina’s earlier question about which weapon she should use, he answered it while he waited for her to take the spit “You asked me what weapon you think you should use... judging by what you have told me, it sounds as though you would be suited to either daggers or a short sword, but it’s really a matter of personal preference.” Yuri had a smile on his face by the time he answered, all traces of any former embarrassment now forgotten.
All thanks to Assilsa Curare for the signature.

Replied Owed 1/1 | Threads 1/5 (3) | Threads Planned: 1 | Threads Awaiting Grading: 0

Threads that need replies: 1/1 (1)
Death to Death
Yuri Lehrer
The Honourable Mercenary

Words: 118678
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2013, 4:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on August 6th, 2014, 12:28 am

Saraphina Skyglow

S itting around the fire and chatting with Yuri was rather relaxing. The day was crisp and clear, the rays of the sun were warm and the wind blew through the trees with a musical melody. Now that the two of them had had some talking time, she was more comfortable. When Yuri had answered her question about using weapons with a small demonstration, she watched carefully before standing up, "Hold that thought Yuri. I'd like to get dressed and if you'll let me, I'd like to handle your sword a bit to get a feel for it. Give me a few moments." Grabbing her bag, Saraphina pulled out her clothes. Dropping the cloak and oblivious to any embarrassment of Yuri's, she dressed and pulled on her boots. Shaking off any excess grass or dirt that got onto his cloak, she handed it back to the mercenary.

L ooking up at Yuri once she was done, she smiled brightly at the human. Highly tempted to ask to borrow his sword, her train of thought was interrupted by the sweet smell of cooking meat. Glancing back at the spits, she ducked her head in slight embarrassment, "Guess I should eat before trying anything. It'd be very bad if you could start talking to all your friends about the big Tiger Kelvic that fainted from hunger because she didn't eat breakfast first." Saraphina settled back down on the ground, folding her legs under her. Accepting the larger piece of meat from Yuri, she blew on the hot meal a bit to cool it down before sinking her fanged teeth deep into the meal. The crispy meat was blissful and satisfying. She ate it with gusto and relish, the juices ran down her chin. Saraphina didn't care, she'd clean up later.

F inshing the meal, she used the edges of her shirt sleeve to wipe away the liquid from her face. Tossing the wooden spit into the fire, she waited till Yuri was done his meal before speaking again, "That was delicious Yuri. Thank you for allowing me to stay. Your suggestion about my fighting style is correct. I do prefer speed and agility in combat. Its the feline in me I think. Usually I fight unarmed and rely on my animal form to get me out of tough spots. But that might not be possible given that I might be taking up a job as a mercenary. Do you mind if I test out your sword, get used to the weight and such? I might have a better idea of what to use if I do." She stood and stepped away from the fire to a more open area of the campsite. Turning she waited silently for Yuri to follow and perhaps hand her his broadsword.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Yuri Lehrer on August 6th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Yuri was still holding the spit he had offered Saraphina when she spoke "Hold that thought Yuri. I'd like to get dressed and if you'll let me, I'd like to handle your sword a bit to get a feel for it. Give me a few moments." She then got up and removed Yuri’s cape, shaking it to remove any dirt which had attached itself to the cape, before she walked over to her bag, which contained her clothes. Yuri feeling as though he had blushed enough for one day, turned around while she got dressed, only turning back when he no longer heard the sounds of a person getting their clothes on, and was relieved to see Saraphina, now fully clothed, facing him with a smile on her face.

Yuri put the spit he had been holding for Saraphina into his other hand as he moved to pick up his cape, when a thought crossed his mind Why not let it get used as a pillow of sorts? Though the grass is soft, the ground underneath is quite hard. Yuri was thinking about this and therefore failed to notice Saraphina duck her head, when she spoke again Yuri was brought back from his moment of contemplation “Guess I should eat before trying anything. It'd be very bad if you could start talking to all your friends about the big Tiger Kelvic that fainted from hunger because she didn't eat breakfast first." With that statement, Saraphina settled back onto the ground and took the larger meat spit from Yuri and blew on it so that it cooled down before starting to eat, Yuri took this as his cue and blew on his own meat, waited a couple of moments for it to cool a little more, before sinking his own teeth into his own spit. It was crispy, and yet still had juices, the different combinations herbs he had used created a very delicious flavour, Yuri relished the taste and slowly chewed each piece of meat until it was but a pulp in his mouth, before swallowing and repeating the process.

He even found the time to think to himself while he ate This is really, really good... perhaps I should have become a chef instead? Ha ha, probably not, this is just the one time I got everything right instead of burning or undercooking it. Before he realised it, Yuri had finished his meal, frowning a little in disappointment that he hadn’t had more, before shrugging, he paid attention to the Tiger Kelvic as she spoke once more "That was delicious Yuri. Thank you for allowing me to stay. Your suggestion about my fighting style is correct. I do prefer speed and agility in combat. It’s the feline in me I think. Usually I fight unarmed and rely on my animal form to get me out of tough spots. But that might not be possible given that I might be taking up a job as a mercenary. Do you mind if I test out your sword, get used to the weight and such? I might have a better idea of what to use if I do."

As she said this, Saraphina stood from her sitting position and moved into the area Yuri had made for his swordsmanship practice, a small but grassy area which offered enough space for him to practice swinging his blade, when he thought about it, Yuri believed that it was large enough to host two people for a sparring match, pushing the thought aside, he paid particular attention to the last part of what Saraphina had asked and weighed up his options I could let her use my sword... but its my family broadsword which my father gave to me... but then again she only wants to hold it, to get a feel for the weight, I don’t see the overall problem with it...When he had decided, Yuri stood up and walked over to where Saraphina was, unsheathing his broadsword as he went, and turned the blade around until he was holding it by the blade, offering it hilt first to Saraphina. He then spoke “I would appreciate if you didn’t try to swing the blade at anything, while I’m standing nearby, but if you want...” Yuri paused as he drew breath and continued “You can have a few practice swings, after I have stepped back, of course.” He stood there awaiting Saraphina’s reply, ready to walk back a few paces if she desired to try using the broadsword for the first time.

Replied Owed 1/1 | Threads 1/5 (3) | Threads Planned: 1 | Threads Awaiting Grading: 0

Death to Death
Yuri Lehrer
The Honourable Mercenary

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on August 8th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina nodded to Yuri and took the broadswords handle from the mercenary. The weapon weight more than she thought, but she took care not to let the blade rest on the ground. It wasn't her property and she didn't want to damage it. Yuri could very well get cross with her if she nicked the blade or something. Waiting for the sandy haired human to take a step or two back, Saraphina gripped the sword with both hands. Lifting the weapon, she swung the blade carefully back and forth in front of her. It was well balanced, at least she thought it was. The sword certainly moved back and forth easily once a rhythm was started. Stopping the motions, she jabbed the pointed end forward a few times, like she was trying to impale someone on the end. The weapon was still too heavy for her liking. It seemed clumsy and bulky for one who preferred speed and flexibility. Stopping her practice, she smiled at Yuri and carefully offered him back the blade.

O nce Yuri took back his weapon, she stretched her arms above her head, cricking her neck a bit, "I think you may be right Yuri. While your sword if a very nice weapon, I find the weight a bit cumbersome. Something lighter would be better for me. I'll have to look around town and see what is available. I wonder if there are any training area where someone could tutor me in the basics of weapon fighting? Something to look into. Anyway....I will be staying in the wilds with a friend of mine for the next little while. Can I come by and visit you from time to time? Maybe if I find some mercenary work, we can team up or something. What do you think Yuri?"

Secret :
OOC: We can probably start wrapping it up soon.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Yuri Lehrer on August 11th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Yuri looked at Saraphina as she took his broadsword, nodding at him while she did so, she also waited for him to take several steps back while she got herself ready, when he retreated to what he thought was a reasonable distance, he called out in a gentle tone “OK, whenever you feel ready... start to swing.” While he stood there, Yuri absentmindedly thought about something he had overheard his Father say to his mother before he left his home to explore the continent of Mizahar as a mercenary “He deserves to know...” I deserved to know what? This is going to gnaw at me until I somehow find out what Dad was talking about, I think when I get a chance I’ll send them a letter asking about that and letting them know I’m still around. Looking up from his thoughts Yuri observed how Saraphina handled his blade; she swung it in hesitant strokes, back and forth, much like he had when he was given the blade for the first time.

Yuri continued to observe Saraphina for a few more chimes, leaning against a nearby tree listening to the song of the blade as it cut through the air, when something in his peripheral vision caught his attention, looking towards it he was unsurprised to see a small rabbit-like creature bounding about, what surprised him was that it stopped and looked at Saraphina, or the general direction of her, Yuri wasn’t terribly sure, but it still perplexed him why the little rabbit looked in that direction. When he looked in the direction of Saraphina himself, Yuri found himself looking at her holding his sword for him to take back, acting on instinct, Yuri stood away from the tree, walked over to Saraphina, grabbed the hilt and carefully slid the blade back in the scabbard. When the blade was secure in its sheath, Yuri watched as Saraphina stretched her arms above her head.

When she had finished her stretch, Saraphina began speaking "I think you may be right Yuri. While your sword if a very nice weapon, I find the weight a bit cumbersome. Something lighter would be better for me. I'll have to look around town and see what is available. I wonder if there are any training areas where someone could tutor me in the basics of weapon fighting? Something to look into. Anyway....I will be staying in the wilds with a friend of mine for the next little while. Can I come by and visit you from time to time? Maybe if I find some mercenary work, we can team up or something. What do you think Yuri?"

Yuri considered the first part of what had been said, thinking about it for several ticks So she agreed with me about the choice of weapon, and wants to find someone to tutor her how to use a weapon, It’s a shame I’m not proficient with a dagger, or else I would do it. As for the second part he voiced his thoughts “I wouldn’t mind having a visitor, or visitors, if you chose to bring this friend of yours along, from time to time... I have but one request if you choose to do so however, you have to come in human form, OK? And as for your request to join me when I have a job, I’d welcome the help and company, some of the jobs that are done are... unpleasant or make you feel a bit lonesome, if you feel like it I could try to teach you what I know of the broadsword, just so you are more knowledgeable if you get into a fight... but I would have to charge you for it...” Feeling a little guilty for adding on the last part, but it was necessary because Yuri was running low on funds or the season, and needed to make the money somehow, he stood at his full height, weight on his back leg, waiting for Saraphina’s reply.

Death to Death
Yuri Lehrer
The Honourable Mercenary

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on August 12th, 2014, 2:17 am

Saraphina Skyglow

A fter Yuri took back his sword he answered her inquiry lightly, “I wouldn’t mind having a visitor, or visitors, if you chose to bring this friend of yours along, from time to time... I have but one request if you choose to do so however, you have to come in human form, OK? And as for your request to join me when I have a job, I’d welcome the help and company, some of the jobs that are done are... unpleasant or make you feel a bit lonesome, if you feel like it I could try to teach you what I know of the broadsword, just so you are more knowledgeable if you get into a fight... but I would have to charge you for it...” Saraphina threw her head back and laughed heartily, shoulders shaking a bit as she chuckled at the mercenary. Reaching out, she clapped Yuri on the shoulder, grinning widely, "I think I can manage that Yuri. I do well enough in the wilds, money means little to me. I'll ask Enthere if she wants to come by. Maybe we might be able to take on a job of a bigger profit with three of us dealing with it."

S till chuckling a bit, amused by Yuri's comment, Saraphina turned her head and spotted the small brown rabbit. Her laughter froze her throat as she glared at the mocking rodent. It was the same rabbit she'd failed to catch in her earlier hunt. Narrowing her eyes, she spoke to the bounding bunny, "Its not wise to gloat to much about a victory, little one. A large predator might take that as a challenge and stalk your den till hunger drives you out. Scoot along....before I decide to chase you again." Stomping her foot at the rabbit, the long legged herbivore darted away. Amusement gone, she turned back to Yuri with a smile.

N odding to the sandy haired man, she walked to the edge of camp and picked up her backpack. Sliding the straps onto he shoulders, she pulled her hair out from under the pack before replying to her newfound companion, "I'll take my leave now Yuri. Don't worry....we'll see each other again soon I'm sure. Take care and thank you again for them meal and interesting chat. It's been fun. Bye now." Saraphina walked backwards for a few steps, waving to Yuri before she turned around. She headed back towards the road, treading along the path she'd come out on. A smile danced around her face as she moved back towards Zeltiva. It had been a good day.

OCC: Great thread Yuri. Thanks again, this was a blast.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aoren on August 23rd, 2014, 4:13 pm

Saraphina

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Running + 1 EXP
Traciking + 1 EXP
Hunting + 1 EXP
Stealth +2 EXP
Socialization +5 EXP
Observation +3 EXP
Hospitality +1 EXP
Broadsword +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Tracking: Following A Scent In Animal Form
Social Nuance: Using Non-Threatening Body Language In Animal Form
Social Nuance: The Inability To Grasp Modesty
Social Nuance: The Definition of a Mercenary
Yuri: Too Trusting
Yuri: An Honorable Mercenary
Yuri: Hates Not Knowing How To Defend Himself
Broadsword: The Weight of It In My Hands
Broadsword: Inexperienced Swing
Broadsword: Not A Good Fit

Yuri

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Bodybuilding + 1 EXP
Broadsword + 2 EXP
Observation + 3 EXP
Animal Husbandry +2 EXP
Rhetoric +1 EXP
Socialization +4 EXP
Hospitality +2 EXP
Cooking +2 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Wilderness Delirium: Talking Animals(??)
Broadsword: Practice Stances
Animal Husbandry: Assessing The Behavior of Animals
Saraphina Skyglow: Tiger Kelvic from Avanthal
Saraphina: Admits She’s Not A Good Cook
Cooking: Preparing Meat Using Makeshift Wood Spits

Notes :
What a fun social thread! Thank you for this! If you have questions, comments or concerns don’t hesitate to approach me at your earliest convenience.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous