Solo I Bow to You.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

I Bow to You.

Postby Kreig Messer on August 10th, 2014, 11:10 pm

514 AV 29th dag 10th Bell 20th chime.

Kreig looked down the sight of his light crossbow, the weapon being pointed at nothing in particular ad he rested he tilted his head against the butt of the crossbow. He was simply checking the weapon for simple things, basically if there were any jiggling parts or if the sight were bent and misaligned. He pulled tge string of the bow with his left, a bit of a struggle but he was simply making sure it was still strong and still pain to pull. Lately Sera Natasha had been emphasising the importance of maintaining ones weapons, ram
ther vehemently he might add.

The explanation had been that if the weapon, or armor lest he forgot, was woefully left without maintenance then it would promptly be ruined at the time one needs them the most. Kreig understood that in a sense, he usually had his old guantlets taken to an armorer to be maintained, however that was more out of attachment to them rather than maintaining its function.... He could say he was attached to his new weapons, but they weren't hierlooms and , as poor an excuse as it was, they didn't garner the same attention as he should have given them.

Thankfully his crossbow, while a complicated bugger, didn't seem to have anything wrong with it. His sword on the other hand had been getting dull and could stand a good sharpening, something like that could be easily left at the smithy and be sharpened. His Crossbow on the other hand was a piece of engineering, each part of it needed an equal amount of caring else Kreig won't be seeing it for days depending on what parts were damaged. So far the weapon seemed to be working fine, but he had to be absolutely and so did what made sense; He drew a back the string and rolled back the nut along the way, then set the string on the nut onced it clicked into place. He then grabbed a bolt and sat it upon the groove.

Before him at 10 feet and beneath the blistering heat was a thin wooden board hung over a stack of hay with a target circle drawn over it. It was an easy way to check if everything worked right with the weapon, at this basic distance he could shoot anywhere and not miss, so any diffeciency could be attributed to the weapon for the most part.

He breathed deeply for a bit as he raised the weapon and rested the butt against his shoulder, looked down the sight as it moved about with thr movements caused by his breathing then held his breath to still it as he aimed at the inner circle of the target. His fingers rested gently against the trigger then suddenly tensed ad he pulled the mechanism, letting the bolt fly through the air as the bow thwacked, followed by a thud as the bolt burried its head through the wood of the board.

Kreig lowered the bow with a look of satisfaction tugging at the corner of his lips, only for him to frown as he heard an unwanted voice.

" Knew a thug like you need to be that close to hit anything! This is why order born are better!"
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

I Bow to You.

Postby Kreig Messer on August 10th, 2014, 11:29 pm

"Narrick you brat..." Narrick Lorgain, an order born brat a decade younger than Kreig. He was an arrogant little oaf who unfortunately had talent and fortunately was very loyal to the ordrer. The unfortunate part was that any arrogance about his archery and tracking he could back up quite well "..... What is it you want Narrick? Can't you see I'm busy?

The boy shrugged unapolligaticly as he unstrapped his short bow and said " you didn't look too busy, thought you could use a challenge"

Kreig sighed, it was true... he wasn't quite busy as he'd like the boy to believe. He supposed he could get some practice and take up Narrick's offer in since they're both here "Fine then, twenty feet, 5 shots?"

" Closest to the center" Nodded Narik as he and Kreig took to the agreed distance. Narrick went first as he drew an arrow from his quiver, notching it to the bow string as he brought up his bow, drawing the string with not just the strength in his arm but also the strength of his shoulder. He didn't bother looking down the arrow as he aimed his weapon, in fact after drawing the string there was but a brief pause as he let go of it and let it launch forward. The arrow flew through the air and with a thud struck the innermost circle, just shy of the center target. Kreig, silently so, was impressed; Kreig had seen his skill in the war games that he and the lad participated in but didn't see the full extent till now.

Narrick tsked, as if the shot wasn't good enough, bit a smug grin quickly made its way to his face as he turned to look at Kreig " Your turn"

"Showoff..." Kreig said as he pulled the string of his bow, earning a mock yawn from Narrick at how long it took, placed the bolt and then looked down the sights. He breathed deeply again as he stared down the target, trying to guage the distance. He held his breath to still his movements then pressed the trigger.... With a loud thwak of the bow vibrating against the stock followed by a thud of the burrying itself into the target.

The bolt had buried itself deep inside the board, hitting the bottom left of one of the outer circles. Kreig winced at that, he must've not compensated correctly for the distance.

" Good shot right there, of course a baby could do better but not bad for you"

He wondered if he could kill the boy and call it a friendly fire accident....Then shook off the thought and said "Don't count me out yet, Narrick. I still got me tricks up my sleeve"
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

I Bow to You.

Postby Kreig Messer on August 11th, 2014, 2:35 am

Narrick simply snorted at this as he took his place, prepping another arrow as he notched it to the string. Similar to his last shot, the young squire seemed to be gauging the distance and trajectory whilst raising his bow and pulling back the string. With a twang of the string and the low thwack of the bow, the arrow flew and with a thud buried itself into the target, this one landing on the top corner of the inner circle, just a couple of inches away from the center. Kreig noted again that the squire didn’t seem to be satisfied with the shot only for him to grin at Kreig.

Kreig didn’t say anything really as he was ready to shoot, having prepped his crossbow whilst Narrick was shooting, only witnessing the shot itself once he’d set the string. Kreig pulled a bolt from the quiver and sat it upon the groove of his weapon. He took aim again, going through the ritualistic process of looking down the sight, gauging the distance and holding his breath once he was ready to shoot. With a press of the trigger, a loud thwack and a thud, Kreig’s bolt buried itself inside the center circle, not hitting it exactly in the center but still quite in the circle itself.

Narrick’s jaw dropped at that as his face began to flush red, Kreig felt a very happy and very smug grin on his own face as he turned to look at the young scout. Honestly it felt like it was pure luck that got him what he needed , but still a good shot was a good shot ‘ Still, Narrick has three more shots….I could still lose this’ Kreig mentally shrugged at this, noting that it wouldn’t make much of a difference, if Narrick did win and decided to be smug about it he would only need to remind him how close he came to losing.

Narrick muttered in a few curses in such a low voice that Kreig barely found understandable, the young archer seemed to feel shame as he began to ready another shot for his weapon that was quickly replaced with angry determination as he fired another shot at the target. A thwack and a thud later the arrow struck the board but failed to hit the target itself…. He cursed loudly but lucky for him there was no knight to reprimand him for it.

“By Yahal’s grace lad, its only a bad shot.”

A bad shot?! Archery is my niche you dolt, a bad shot has me doing 20 shots to not get it wrong

Kreig shrugged at that, still not seeing the point.

Narrick growled at that but continued to speak nonetheless “You’ve heard of people practicing till they get it right? Well, a good number of the knights here believe you practice till you don’t get it wrong.

“What’s the difference?”

You dolt, it makes all the difference. Practicing till you don’t get it wrong means to never make a mistake, get it right is basically saying ‘it’s all right getting wrong, don’t worry about making the deadly mistake that could get you or your wing killed. Have a bloody good time!’

Kreig winced at that and supposed the lad had a point “Well getting angry about it won’t do a thing about in the moment, ‘sides yer still a squire…. You are expected to make mistakes”

The boy snorted at that“Please, squires are expected to help in protecting the town and go on patrols too. You’re unfathomable misfortune of attracting trouble during patrols is proof of that ” Kreig nodded, conceding the fact and winced at remembering the Yukman and the cannibal marauders , they did seem to come at him like a freakshow from a travelling troupe.

“Alright alright, but this isn’t a patrol or a mission right now…. Getting angry at it won’t solve anything, so shut yer yammer and focus on getting a shot dead center!” Kreig said with a degree of patient irritation as he readied his crossbow. He noted that Narrick was silent and Kreig silently praised Dira and Yahal for that as he took aim and fired another shot. His shot hit the second inner circle, Kreig was satisfied with that… in truth with his current skill he’d be satisfied with anything that said he didn’t miss his shots. Unlike Narrick, he wasn’t a knight with a leniency towards being a scout…. A shot that wound or killed his target was enough for him, though Narrick apparently had to be not only a superb archer, he had to be the archer to top all good archer.

“You got the skills Narrick, you got the skills to ‘never get it wrong’. But if you do get it wrong while training…there is only one solution.”

more practice” The lad said somberly.

“Good lad, but if you make a mistake during a missions that feths things up….”

Yeah?” Narrick said, noting the grave tone in the brawler’s voice.

“I’ll be sure to skin you meself, especially if I survive that mission with you” Kreig said as he turned to look at him with a brutal glar and vicious grin, Narrick had to gulp at that. The young lad knew Kreig could well deliver on that threat, the fact that Narrick was still a young lad and Kreig was older, bigger and definitely meaner-looking would be a good reason to shyke his pants right now.

“Now get to shooting lad…. Two more shots, two more chances. Don’t get it wrong”

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

I Bow to You.

Postby Kreig Messer on August 15th, 2014, 4:13 am

Narrick again took his place on the shooting line as he grabbed an arrow from his quiver, not waiting to see if Kreig would provide a literal demonstration and of course to regain a bit of his pride. Kreig grinned to himself as he watched, it was perhaps unwise of him to give his opponent a pep talk but…. On the other hand they were brother in arms, age difference and all other factors were hogwash, if it brings him his focus back and confidence as well, then isn’t he helping a brother in some way?

Narrick lifted the bow once more after having notched the arrow shaft to the string, he pulled back the string as he gauged the distance between himself and the target then adjust the angle of his bow accordingly. What anger Narrick had contained previously seemed to have been subdued now as he took a practiced and instinctual deep breath before he let go of the string. The arrow flew through the air and the familiar sound of it hitting wood resounded through the air. Narrick’s face contorted into a wide smile as he turned to look at Kreig, his eyes conveying an odd mixture smugness and appreciation… and a little fear.

Kreig feigned mock annoyance for the most part as he saw what had been done. The arrow had struck dead center, Kreig’s own bolt and Narrick’s arrow had but a small noticeable gap, but it was a gap favorable to Narrick and decided the match decidedly “Petch lad, I probably should have stayed silent….”

Too late for that you big lummox, guess its my win… unless you want to defy some sort of law and try your luck” Kreig grinned as he took the lad up on his challenge as he pulled back the string of his crossbow, pulled out the bolt from his quiver and rested it atop of the groove, looked down the sight after taking a deep breath and…. Fired.

Guess it’s my turn not to get it wrong

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

I Bow to You.

Postby Archailist on August 15th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Kreig :
Skills:
  • +4 Weapon: Crossbow
  • +1 Intimidation

Lores:
  • Crossbow: Steadying Aim
  • Crossbow: Compensating For Distance
  • Crossbow: Braced Against The Shoulder
  • Narrick: The Annoying Order-Born.

+4 for Training
= +4 Shield Points

Notes :
Great thread, but it seems incomplete, in how it ends abruptly with no resolution stated?

Was I a little too nuts in my grading?
If you've got concerns, just call me.
Last edited by Archailist on August 15th, 2014, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)