Completed [Gilia Medical Center] That One Itch (Alaia)

An unfortunate rash at an unfortunate time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Gilia Medical Center] That One Itch (Alaia)

Postby Hirem on July 10th, 2014, 4:21 pm

In the aftermath of his ode to Yahal, Hirem closed his eyes and wondered if his words were sufficient, could ever be considered sufficient. He always bore doubts whenever he devoted a speech to his god, for his attempts to explain his faith never quite captured to the absolute feeling of worship that lay buried deep within the foundation of his soul. They had the misfortune of sounding... hollow, cheap imitations of the powerful notes that rang through every vein in his body. In the Benshira's mind, the only men that could truly provide an insightful glimpse into Yahal's mysteries were the Rapa themselves; all others paled in comparison, for they did not walk the god's path as devotedly as the priests. Thinking of the holy Penita Scrolls, and the way Yahal weeded out the truth and lies through the dreaded withering, Hirem wondered if one day his wagging tongue would turn black and corrupted with sin. His great crime would not be the deliberate act of sedition against Yahal, he knew, but the accidental deceiving of men and women as to his god's true nature. On that day, I wonder if people like Alaia will still stand beside me and think me to be blessed.

Alaia, to her credit, did not seem bothered by the possibility that Hirem wasn't doing his beloved god justice. Indeed, the woman seemed strangely touched by what he had said, as if dizzy. Laying still on the bed, Hirem was pretty sure that he had heard the word, “Beautiful,” escape the Konti's lips. He looked up to her, his face curiously absent of expression, and almost regretted saying anything to all at the young, hopeful girl. Oh sweet child, he thought sadly, you don't know of what you speak of. You wouldn't call me beautiful if you knew the full story. You wouldn't call my exodus beautiful, if you knew that it was caused by sleepless nights, waking nightmares, and overwhelming guilt. You wouldn't call it beautiful, if you knew that I spent every day during my final stay in the desert afraid, alone, and fearing what would happen during my sleep. Poor child, I have deceived you once more: it was not love that sent me into the desert, but insanity. Remorse. Despair. Half of him wanted to explain to her the full story, let her know the full depth of his past and what exactly had brought him to Riverfall, while the other half wanted to bow his head and say no more to the pure and innocent Konti woman. He settled on a compromise - no more had to be said to the Konti about his history, but he could still enjoy the benefits of her company.

He was so concerned with what Alaia had said, that he did not even notice the Konti's touch upon the most secretive, sensitive part of his body. He was rendered blind to it... or else, he came to not care about whether or not Alaia placed her fingers down there. He trusted her, and, more importantly, he knew that she only meant to help.

At the healer's call of, "You may get dressed now”, Hirem lurched to his feet and threw himself off the bed. He was growing sore about being exposed, and the sooner he could cover himself up, the sooner he could feel entirely comfortable again. As he fit his legs into his breeches and pulled the tunic over top of his head, the Benshira listened to Alaia compliment his story and felt abashed for even having spoken in the first place. But alongside that embarrassment was... contentment? It was a queer emotion that he wasn't used to expressing, but Hirem wondered if he hadn't done a good thing in letting her understand a bit of his past life. Though my words may be false and dishonest, and skirt around ugly truths that I'd rather keep hidden, perhaps it is all for the best. If I can make someone such as Alaia of the Konti's day brighten, then perhaps I am building something worthwhile in the world. "It was no trouble of mine, dear friend," he began, belting up his breeches and once more standing before her fully clothed. "What is the purpose of life, if not to exchange its story with others, yes?" Though he didn't entirely believe the words that he was speaking, Hirem knew that he would like to. If I might ignore my past for one day... I would be a much happier man. "Stories about love, devotion, fear, regret, and foolishness... all need just a receptive audience before they can be released from the soul. Though I am hesitant to do so, I am sure that this morning would make a fine story."

Taking the jar of medicine gratefully, Hirem bowed his head in response to Alaia's farewell. "You’re free to go … I won’t keep you any longer I’m sure you had a long enough wait before I came into the room”, she said, prompting a smile and a quick laugh from the Benshira. "Actually, I would rather wait for another rash to spring up so that we may talk some more. It is your time that I fear wasting, not mine." The medical center was still echoing with the calls of other healers, patients, and staff, meaning that it was probably just as busy as when he had first arrived at the lobby. Taking a deep breath, Hirem looked into Alaia's blue eyes intently, his own gaze bright with gratitude. "Thank you for what you have done for me - I know it was no easy task and I did not help, with the... the screaming, and all." He smiled regretfully, shaking his head. "And thank you for the talk that we shared. You are a bright soul, Alaia, and I fear that this world may yet prove too dark for one such as you. Seek out happiness where you can find it, my friend, and prosper in the sunlight. It is where you belong." With that said, the Benshira turned for the door. "Mahim, Alaia. Walk with faith, and know that wherever you step, the god of travelers is making your path safe."

Leaving the room, Hirem couldn't tell about whether this late evening, early morning interruption had been worth his time. On the one hand, he got to meet a charming Konti that he wanted to see more of. On the other hand...

The Benshira shuddered. Best not to speak of the rash. Talk would only summon its ghost from the netherworld.

THE END

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

[Gilia Medical Center] That One Itch (Alaia)

Postby Caelum on August 17th, 2014, 4:03 am

Thread Award

Hirem

Skills
Endurance +5
Investigation +1
Meditation +2
Observation +3
Socialization +5
Teaching +2

Lores
Alaia: Healer at Gilia
Medicine: Appearance of Heat Rash
Maintaining Dignity
Rak'keli's Gnosis

Alaia

Skills
Herbalism +1
Investigation +2
Medicine +5
Meditation +1
Observation +3
Persuasion + 2
Socialization +3

Lores
Medicine: Basic Rash Diagnostics
Hirem: Bouncer at Rat Hole
Yahal: Father of the Binshiran
Yahal: God of Faith & Purity
Herbalism: Tolm

Notes

This was delightful to read. I enjoyed learning about Hirem and Alaia's first meeting. Please edit your post in the grade request thread to reflect completion and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Write on.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous