Completed Above and Below

Kuvarakh pays for a "rescue"

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Above and Below

Postby Kuvarakh on July 26th, 2014, 9:03 pm

It made Kuvarakh feel bad to watch Phobius trudge dejectedly out the door, but he felt he'd done the right thing. It didn't occur to him that he'd not said where to go retrieve the wax. There were one or two obvious places in town where wax would be likely to be stored in anticipation of a delivery cart. But right now, Kuvarakh's focus was on Rey's question about the rescuee's description.

He had written up a description on Kirby, but not of Renate. He asked his two hirees to wait a moment, admitting his oversight, and went into the back room to get the written account of Miss Draer's ordeal in the Underground at the two slavers' hands. She had come to him after her escape to ask about Hypnosis. He'd felt both vindication and disgust at hearing that the man he'd met as Joren Fannery, was in fact a slaver named Verek. This man had come to him some time ago asking about lessons in hypnosis. Kuvarakh had seen that the man had the beginnings of a talent in that area, but also perceived an innate villainy in the man that hypnosis would only magnify. He had turned the man down.

He had been infuriated to find that this was exactly how fate had played out. This man was exactly the type that gave magic users a bad name. But he found a grim satisfaction in hearing that the man's abused Kelvic servant had risen up against him to protect the enslaved Draer girl and killed him. That left only Kirby. His description he'd made a point of writing down. He would slip it to Mr. Ekans whenever Rana's attention was diverted.

He brought the notepad out with him to the counter, handing a quill and paper to Rana and going over hos notes to give this basic description of Renate. "She's a bit on the short side, being only a bit over five feet tall. Somewhat dark skin...I think people say "Olive" to describe it....let's see...Long dark hair, rarely up in any stylish coif, with a bluish-violet highlight...It hides a Kenashern slave mark...somewhat almond shaped eyes, with the Vanthan color-changing effect...high cheekbones over a kind of squarish jaw...That's about all I have for you...Oh yeah...the name is 'Renate Winterflame".

As Rana was writing, he found an opportunity to slip a folded piece of paper to Rey Ekans. It had Kirby's description on it:
He was the underling, and has that ingrained subservient demeanor.
He's not terribly large, maybe five eight or nine.
Skinny, but with a wiry strength.
Short dark hair and brown eyes, a somewhat "pinched" nose.
Has an overbite, giving him a sort of "rat-faced" look.
Surprisingly clean shaven. Rubs his face a lot, like he's checking for stubble.
Missing the little finger on his left hand. And he's self-conscious about it.
Was wearing a gold chain and a silk shirt, but only linen pants and dark boots.
Last edited by Kuvarakh on August 11th, 2014, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALCHEMY.....When evolution is just too slow.

CS - Plotnotes - Alvadas Linkmap - Dev Thread - Grading - Architectrix
Kuvarakh
ties a rope to a tree and hangs the world

Words: 656536
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Above and Below

Postby Yisanareysin on July 31st, 2014, 8:28 pm

When Kuvarakh went into the back, Rey took the opportunity to study his guide. If he was to be perfectly honest with himself, he would have to admit, her hight was the only indication that she might be a Dhani. Her hair and skin were both uncharacteristic of the desert serpents, her speech held no trace of a lisp, and Ranayel was certainly not a Dhani name. Rey knew that. It was just...

He was a little homesick, and it had been far too long since he had seen or spoken to one of his own kind. Perhaps it was this task of "procuring" a body for the nuit that made him think of his nest. There, there would have been no need for secrecy. He and his siblings might have even made a game out of it. He missed the company of other Dhani.

His hopes were crushed even more when Kuvarakh slipped him a piece of paper while talking to Rana. So, she wasn't to know then. There went any chance of her being even close to as ruthless as his kind then. He sighed softly. This definitely complicated things, and he had no idea what Kuvarakh would tell her when he turned up in a body she'd seen die. Unless he could hide the death from her? Ugh. What a mess.

While Kuvarakh distracted Rana, Rey pretended to poke around the shop, surreptitiously studying his target's description. As usual, Kuvarakh was using words like "ingrained" and "demeanor". "Subservient" he knew though, from his time in Ahnatep. It didn't really matter, he supposed. Hair and eye color, combined with a detail like a missing finger was good enough. And if not, it wasn't like Kuvarakh would know if Rey killed the wrong person.

Now there was an idea. This nuit was so determined to believe this murder was justified, how amusing would it be if he ended up unknowingly inhabiting the corpse of an innocent? Heh. A good backup plan if they didn't find this Kirby. Though that would be even harder to pull off.

Once he was finished reading the description, Rey poked around for a few moments, before padding over to the door. "If we're done here, I would rather we set off now. Unless you have more for us, Kuvarakh?"
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Above and Below

Postby Phobius on August 5th, 2014, 2:34 am

Simply asking around for help proved to be a bit more difficult than it needed to be for the young Inartan. After around five or six chimes of walking down sidewalks and rounding corners, Phobius became convinced that the city had decided to make it so that he couldn't complete his given task. He'd duck into a shop and ask the nearest shopkeep or wandering customer for some help, and they'd offer him what they could. Then he'd step out, only to remember that he'd skimped out on being polite by forgetting to thank the person. He'd then turn, fully intending on heading back inside. And of course the shop would be gone, by then, replaced with some alley or the front porch of some stranger's house.

The boy stood at the door of an apothecary that had decided to switch to the other side of the street, when it'd been behind him mere ticks ago.
At this rate, I won't be able to thank those nice people...and I won't be able to get the wax. That one woman told me to head to the docks, but...

But as much as he didn't want to grow worried, he couldn't help it. He had no idea where he was supposed to be going; "the docks" was a vague set of directions, not to mention the fact that he couldn't smell any sea water, which meant that he was nowhere near where he needed to be. If he took too long walking around, it'd get dark, which would only make things more difficult, and Kuvarakh would become even more annoyed with him. What if he never even managed to find the wax? What if, Gods forbid, Kuvarakh became so angry with his failure that he fired him?

The very thought of being released from his newly-attained duties made a knot form in Phobius' stomach. He couldn't fail, no matter how helpless he was starting to feel. All he needed to do was try a bit harder and focus a bit more. He'd managed to lead Miss Rana and Rey back to the alchemy shop in well-enough time, after all. Ionu was just messing with him a bit more than usual. Maybe it was payback for having gotten a good grasp of the city's constantly-shifting ways.

Straightening himself, Phobius forced the rest of his worries away.
C'mon, I can do this. I just need to focus...

The boy took a few calming breaths before he continued on.

A little over a quarter of a bell had passed when Phobius reached the Patchwork Port. He came to a stop beside a hastily-built shanty that seemed to be standing on stilts, bending down to catch his breath. The air was decent, not humid or excessively dry, and the temperature was fairly warm, but his katinu still weighed down on him. Had he been pudgy at all, the extra heat might have been unbearable.

I...I found it! Now to just...find someone who knows about...wax, I guess. Maybe a merchant...

"Speech-Common" | "Nari" | Thoughts

Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Words: 283495
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 12:08 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Above and Below

Postby Kuvarakh on August 11th, 2014, 4:05 am

And so it was done. Kuvarakh was relieved that it had turned out to be as uncomplicated as it was. He'd felt sure that some sort of clue would pop up and expose the real nature of the job. Phobius was out of sight, picking up...what was it?...wax? yeah, that's what it was.

He smiled at his choice of wax. He had an ongoing account for it. Phobius would get there and if there wasn't any, he'd report back, probably worried that he'd done something wrong. That would be Kuvarakh's chance to bolster his confidence, telling him that he'd done just fine, that it was all his own fault for sending him on such short notice; that he hadn't remembered until after he'd sent him off that it might not be ready yet. And if there WAS wax ready, so much the better.

As for Rana and Mr. Ekans. He was trusting the Dhani to ensure that Kirby felt provoked enough to incite the aggression, whereupon he would "defend" himself and Rana. He didn't know what sort of excuse he would use after that to justify leaving. Nor was he sure if Rana would spare Mr. Ekans the unpleasantness of suggesting that the body be brought back for Kuvarakh. Rana was as aware as any of them of the Nuit's need.

He would, of course, be surprised when they arrived back with the body. Surprised and grateful. If Rana suspected something by then, well...he'd deal with it then. He hadn't had to use any hypnosis yet. He smiled again. This was all tomorrow's problem...

OOC - continues here.
Last edited by Kuvarakh on September 5th, 2014, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALCHEMY.....When evolution is just too slow.

CS - Plotnotes - Alvadas Linkmap - Dev Thread - Grading - Architectrix
Kuvarakh
ties a rope to a tree and hangs the world

Words: 656536
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Above and Below

Postby Marionette on August 20th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Let the illusions guide you...

Player: Kuvarakh

XP: Socialization, +2, Subterfuge +3, Observation +1, Leadership +1
Lores
✦ Hiding Information From Others
✦ Planning Ahead
✦ Relaying Riddles
Notes: I found what I could. Your didn't receive as many socialization or observation points as others because of your skill level. Because there wasn't much discussion between the party on what was to be done, I didn't really see any persuasion or negotiation, but if I missed something, let me know. Overall, I felt like Kuv was sneaky here, but I still liked him because I like to believe he is a good sort of character. Good job!

Player: Phobius

XP: Running +1, Stamina +1, Observation +3, Socialization +3
Lores
✦ Rana: A nickname for Ranayel Silverleaf
✦ "Rey Ekans": A man with feminine features
✦ Feeling Dejected & Dismissed
✦ Navigating Alvadas (Sort of)
Notes: I really enjoyed reading Phobius' posts. He was so cute and optimistic. And everyone commented on his funny appearance, but I think he's adorable. I'm very happy he found the port but upset he was sent away. Poor Phobius!

Player: Ranayel Silverleaf

XP: Intelligence +1, Observation +4, Socialization +2, Subterfuge +1, Disguise +1
Lores
✦ Phobious: Another Inarta
✦ The Description of Renate Winterflame
✦ Kuvarakh's Riddle
✦ Underground Entrance: Where To Find A Door
✦ Location: Stallion's Rear
✦ Do I Look Like A Thief?: Lock Picks
Notes: How tricky Rana was when she did her little Nari test on Phobius! But I like to see how this character thinks and comes to conclusions. Unfortunately, I had a little trouble assigning her lores. If you think I missed something, please let me know. As for the cut on her hand, that should take a few days to heal completely but shouldn't cause her too much trouble unless it gets infected.

Player: Yisanareysin

XP: Disguise +1, Observation +3, Socialization +2, Subterfuge +2
Lores
✦ Contemplating The Likelihood Of Another's Survival
✦ The Description of Renate Winterflame
✦ The Description of Kirby
✦ Underground Entrance: Where To Find A Door
✦ Location: Stallion's Rear
✦ Do I Look Like A Thief?: Lock Picks
Notes: Mr. Ekans, eh? As a pokemon fan, I do find this amusing. This character gave me the heeby-jeebies. I feel like he was a very fun Dhani to read, and with him always planning to hide murder, or thinking about his next kill... It was creepy, but I loved it. I really want to see what happens next now! I feel like "Rey" is a wild card with a lot of secrets. I'm really curious as to see if he gets discovered. Be careful! Rana looks to be hot on your tail... I mean... uh... "legs". ;)

Marionette
Retired Staff

Words: 35074
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous