Hello, Magic People!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Hello, Magic People!

Postby Zhol on August 31st, 2014, 1:27 pm

As if the teeny tiny post count and word count didn't give it away, I am incredibly new to Mizahar. I have been stuffing my brain with as much lore as I can, like a frantic parent trying to tetris those last few bags into the trunk of the car before leaving on vacation, but there are a couple of bits and pieces related to magic in particular that the lore pages can't quite help me on... I could use a little advice from you wise and experienced people!

The thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around at this point is the learning part. That dude over there << already has a few points in (fire) reimancy and glyphing, and he's going to hopefully pick up some shielding eventually to. For learning a new skill like shielding, I know I definitely need to go and find a player or NPC to teach me the basics; but the bit I'm struggling with is, what then?

With reimancy, I know that I can just practice using it and get better. But, if I wanted to mix things up and have another reimancer give him a little tutoring as well, would I need to go out and find another reimancer who has the same element (ie. a pyromancer) to teach me specific things about manipulating fire... or do the same techniques for manipulating res work no matter which element you're using? I know from a game perspective I could just light a whole bunch of candles and camp fires and things in different threads to earn those points, but from a story perspective it might be cool to have that sort of mentoring thing from time to time.

With glyphing on the other hand, that seems like something that's harder to practice on your own. Sure, you can draw the runes over and over like practicing your handwriting, but presumably at some point you need to learn new runes from someone or somewhere. Should I be working on the assumption that I know all of the "letters" already, and am practicing how to string them together into "words"... or do I need to be on the look-out for glyphing mentors, scrolls, etc.

If anyone has any threads where they've done magic practice that they could link so I could read through, that would be an awesome help.

Thanks in advance! :D
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Hello, Magic People!

Postby Rayage on August 31st, 2014, 2:27 pm

Hello and welcome to Mizahar.

Your questions and concerns are very common among those new to magic. That just means that they will be easy to answer.

First off, shielding is a rare magic that can be self-discovered out of necessity. The lore on Shielding doesnt go into detail about the whole process of learning it yourself, but it could be avenue to explore, and it is something to think about. A cool plot and story around how your PC came to learn Shielding by himself would be neat, only to find someone who knows shielding to further explain what he is doing?

Your question 'what then?' What then after the basics? That is simple, you are over thinking things, I believe. After you learn the basics, you play with them, get comfortable with the basics and find a style of writing your magic that fits you and your character. Once you are completely comfortable with the basics, you move on, explore, push your own characters boundaries and discover more about the magic through practice and continued adventure. It all boils down to learning the basics, practice, getting comfortable, and then gaining confidence with the magic -enough so to explore it further and go deeper down the rabbit hole. You could have a master every step of the way, it makes things easier sure, but it isnt necessary. Trial and error and experience is the best teacher after all.

I know game wise, I am no reimancer. But you could use the same techniques to manipulate the elements if you want. There is nothing stopping you from creating earth bolts as there is fire bolts or getting creative with the use of your res. Generally Reimancers who have experience manipulating the specific element could teach you more about the specifics of manipulating it, however that isnt a fast and hard rule. This is because of simple experience with working with the element. A fire reimancer will be more comfortable talking about fire, but reimancy is all about mastering all the elements. Everything is interconnected, and there could be some deep magical philosophy a character could build all around just reimancy. It varies from user to user, the teachings and the style of which the magic is used.

So... Glyphing! Glyphing is one of the easiest magics to advance in because once the Glypher knows the basics of glyphing... there is nothing new left to learn! The Glypher only gets better and better at working with the basic building blocks and their glyphs can do more dramatic things. There are no new runes and special symbols to learn from others.

If I were you, I would take a look again at the Glyphing article and read it in its entirety. I suggest reading, and then revisiting the material often. Most of the time you will come back with a nugget of knowledge that you have previously overlooked or didnt see before because of all that binge reading of lore. Read, and reread. Even I revisit the Alchemy lore from time to time, to read and refresh myself. Its always good to be up on your magic.

I know I kinda rambled, and I dont know if this was helpful or not. I hope it was. Anyways, if I didnt quite get you the info you needed just let me know here or in a PM and Ill try to explain myself more clearly.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Hello, Magic People!

Postby Zhol on August 31st, 2014, 4:11 pm

That's an enormous help, thanks! :D

One concern (for lack of a better term) I do still have is of earning XP on my character sheet faster than I'm able to develop my magic abilities within the story.

Zhol lives in Wind Reach, and from late autumn to early spring he's going to be stuck inside a volcano. That's a prime opportunity for him to do lots of little fire reimancy things, to keep warm, start campfires, and so on: but not so many opportunities for bigger, fancier stuff. In 6 months time we'll be coming back around to spring again, and it's not inconceivable that he'll be competent by then... but because he was only doing the little things, he hasn't really had a chance to earn the ability to throw around lightning bolts, even though his character sheet will say that he can.

How does one juggle that sort of thing? Or is it such a weird situation that no one normally has to? :paranoid:
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Hello, Magic People!

Postby Rayage on August 31st, 2014, 10:45 pm

There is a simple answer for that:

Every PC and wizard grows at his or her own pace. So what if they are competent and havent unlocked their second element and possible para-element? You will develop that when the time is right for your PC. You are master of their story. Its up to you to figure out your own PCs limits and what they are comfortable with. Though, as you progress higher and higher in exp, you will stop earning Reimancy exp entirely if you keep on doing the same old novice small stuff. So things will eventually level off, and nature will take its course and either your PC figures out the other missing pieces, or he just stays that level in Reimancy forever. No real progression in thought/use of the magic= no real exp to be gained.

This isnt Skyrim where you can get Destruction Magic up to 100 by casting a billion and a half fireballs :P
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)