It comes in Pints! [The Drunken Fish]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Shakune on September 12th, 2014, 9:14 am

It comes in Pints! 14th Fall, 514AV

The door rattled and slammed, and the black-eyed Shakune slipped into the Drunken Fish. It was her local, and favourite, watering hole. The rough company of sailors suited her brash nature, and they always knew the best jokes. So it was no surprised to Shakune when a few greetings were bellowed out to her, and she raised a hand in response, a smirk on her face. Despite her exotic appearance, years of frequenting the establishment had placed Shakune on the list of the tavern's more regular patrons. She was recognised, welcomed.

She took a seat with two bearded men, both of whom were deep in a heated debate about an unnamed 'her'. Whether or not the discussion was about an actual woman or a ship, Shakune could not say, but she bet it was likely to the latter. Her interest waivered, caught between the men's argument and the countless other, more entertaining, conversations that fluttered about her. A man walking past her seat slapped Shakune hard on the back, and the two shared a grin and a mouthful of curses to each other before he laughed heartily and walked away.

The barefooted steps of a servant caught her attention, and Shakune ordered a pint of ale. It had been a long, dull day, without even the scent of any viable business for the courier. She was restless already, after only one day of having nothing to do. Other workers seemed to enjoy their time away from work, but Shakune hated it. She felt caged by the boredom, and upon the surface of the table her fingers tapped manically, searching for something to entertain the half-breed.

The rattle of the door was a welcome distraction, and her black eyes lifted to the rear wall to see who had entered the tavern.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on September 12th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Sh'Ky Naes

Sh'Ky didn't know what made him do it. He just felt... bored, he guessed, questing about the outside of the sailor's establishment with his eyes. He wasn't one to go into sailor's bars, really, but he had only been there a few times before, and he wanted to know what it was like in there now. Stepping up off the pier, he opened the door with the heel of his boot and scanned the room, his face impassive. Almost everyone turned to stare at this strange newcomer. Then he broke the silence.

"What's up, petchers?" Everyone inside roared with laughter at the man's audacious greeting, and quickly went back to their respective drinks, games, and wenches. Looking around the room, he spotted an empty table, and pulling out a chair, he signaled to the bartender by using the almost universal sign. Waving his hand back and forth until he caught his attention, and then pointing at himself, and then indicating a '1' with his index finger. He then leaned back in his chair, waiting for his drink to arrive.

Other's Words Common Fratava My thoughts NPC's Words
Alt:
Dallen McHenderson
College is picking up, sorry if I'm not on for long periods of time.

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?
Redemptio et quomodo iusti non quod petitur intelligis quia quod vindicta?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes
Sometimes good people do horrible things.

Words: 82544
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2014, 12:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shakune on September 13th, 2014, 4:42 pm

The newcomer sat heavily down next to her seat, so Shakune was more than happy to strike up a conversation with him. She was the curious, social sort: really quite at ease to talking to complete strangers. Newness - be it people, things or scenery - always caught the mixed-blood's interest. "That was quite the entrance." Her comment was observational, though it certainly opened up the chances of a conversation to develop.

She sipped at her glass, the froth of the ale catching onto the tip of her nose. With a graceful swipe of the back of her hand, Shakune removed the white bubbled and allowed her attention to drift back to the two men opposite her. Their argument was growing heated, though their voices remained low and quiet. It was clearly a private discussion, which only made the courier all the more interested. After straining her hearing for a matter of chimes - sadly, to no avail - she turned back to the newcomer to her left. "I've not seen you here before."
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on September 13th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Sh'Ky Naes

Keeping a smile on his face, he looked around the room, observing the patrons. They were just the sort that you'd expect in a sailor's tavern, rough, loud, and able to hold their liquor. Eyes flitting to the other side of the room, he saw an olive-skinned woman staring at him, but with no sense of urgency or intensity in her eyes. Raising his eyebrows in a friendly expression, he waited for the woman to speak. It wasn't often that such a foreign-looking woman started to talk to him, excepting maybe Rastia. But this was now, and that was then, Sh'Ky chided himself. Besides, this woman might be interesting to be around.

"That was quite the entrance."The comment was spoken without question, a statement that simply confirmed what she was thinking, and opened up a possibility of a conversation.

Smiling, Sh'Ky leaned back in his chair and put his right hand behind his head, using his left to perform a mock salute.
"Hello, miss! I thank you for the compliment. I pride myself on my entrances whenever I can use them." Placing his left hand behind his right, holding his head and leaning back, he looked around, seeing if there was anyone that would make a good mark in the tavern. There were two men, holding a heated discussion at a table near them. Maybe if he approached them later, with a promise of conflict resolution, after he heard what their problem was... That would be a good idea. He added that to his mental checklist. Con two men in a tavern, after observing. The woman, however, snapped his attention back to her.

"I've not seen you here before."Smiling and shaking his head ruefully, 'Ky thanked the bartender silently, with an inclination of his head and the clink of a few coins in his hand. "I must admit, miss, that I haven't been here in years. But I do notice some changes in the architecture. Such as the fact that they removed the scorch marks from the ceiling." Pretending to frown in confusion, Sh'Ky said, "You know, miss, I didn't quite catch your name. Mine's 'Ky Ness." Not a total lie, yet not a truth. Best to not give her his name yet.

Other's Words Common Fratava My thoughts NPC's Words
Alt:
Dallen McHenderson

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shakune on September 21st, 2014, 12:14 pm

It was not a compliment, Shakune thought smugly to herself, black eyes watching the male evenly. She sipped at her ale. A woman of simple tastes, she disliked those that drew attention to themselves in a way that reminded her of brattish children: what makes you so special that you deserve everyone else's attention?

It was not that she was the shy, retiring type: the reality of Shakune's personality was quite the opposite. She was loud, brash, always telling the dirtiest of jokes and lowering the bar of any other conversation. But she regarded herself as no more worthy than anyone else; the only time she ensured she made an entrance and caught the attention of others was if it could potentially benefit her business. Her ego did not need stroking, but more contacted meant more possible clients.

Her black eyes looked upwards, towards the ceiling that had captured their conversation. She smiled. "I remember that burn mark." The repairing of the roof had actually eluded her attention -- Shakune was not the most observant of individuals. The origin of the mark had been the centre of many rumours and tall tales: one was that a rogue wizard had tried to set the tavern ablaze in fury at the prices, another that a regular patron had drunk so much that when he belched, the nearby flames from candles had swelled upwards with his gross gaseous release. "I am Shakune." She extended a hand in her usual good-natured fashion. The male to her right might be an attention seeker, but he seemed decent enough company so far. "What bought y' to the Drunken Fish after s'long?"
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on September 22nd, 2014, 11:17 pm

"I remember that burn mark." The woman said this with a smile, as if reminiscing. Thinking for a few seconds, she stuck out her hand, a good-natured smile on her face. "I am Shakune." Taking her hand briefly, and shaking it briskly, let it go. It was the handshake of one who didn't mind spending time talking, but if he had to, he'd leave at a moment's notice. "What bought y' to the Drunken Fish after s'long?"

Winking, Sh'Ky thoughtfully sipped his beer. "I don't rightfully know, miz Shakune." Taking another sip, deeper this time, he said, "I suppose I was bored?" The dullness of his statement wasn't lost on him, and he winced, smiling. "So! Ta pass th' time of day, would y' mind tellin' me a bit about yerself?" He sensed that this was a woman with no patience for his prolific speech, and he reverted to his natural accent and style of speaking, adopting his Sunberthian voice once again. Tapping his nose and swigging his beer, he said, "Now, I don't 'spect ya to tell me something for nothing, so mebbe an.... exchange can be worked out?" Looking her straight in her dark eyes, he said with a jovial grin, "I'll say somethin' 'bout myself after you do."

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shakune on September 23rd, 2014, 3:11 pm

The suggestion of a verbal exchange caught Shakune's attnetion, and her eyes glittered with enthusiasm as she nodded. She was, after all, a business woman and such words easily interested her. "'Tis a deal." She confirmed, nodding one more to solidify their agreement.

In truth, Shakune would have happily told anyone anything about herself. She was not one for secrets; not to mention her distinct lack of any. But she was curious, and wanted to learn more about others - usually with a pint in her hand. After all, an acquintance one evening might be a business client the day after.

Which she why she started her part of the deal with: "I work as a courier. Deliverin; things people want sendin'." Usually, a simple description of her employment cued further questions from her conversational partner, and given their agreement she felt that this alone wasn't enough. "I've delivered all sorts of stuff. Mainly boring, but some fingers and hands. As threats, like." She proffered, taking another sip of her ale and watching his face evenly.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on September 24th, 2014, 10:51 am

Date

"'Tis a deal." The woman's speech patterns were interesting. For foreigner, she spoke fluent Common, which wasn't so surprising, as it was called that for a reason, but instead of speaking in the style of other foreigners, she sounded like a sailor. Interesting... "I work as a courier. Deliverin; things people want sendin'." Holding his chin in his hand, elbow on the table, he looked as if this statement was incredibly boring. Couriers were a common sight in Sunberth. Now, one that stayed alive for any length of time, now that was an accomplishment. "I've delivered all sorts of stuff. Mainly boring, but some fingers and hands. As threats, like." This interested Sh'Ky, and he raised his eyebrow, saying, "Now that's interesting. Fingers and hands, huh? Did'ja lop 'em off yourself, or did your employers?" He held up his hand, saying, "No, wait, don't tell me. I don't want to receive one of those threats, or have my hand be one of those threats." Winking, he said, "So you're a dangerous woman to be around, eh?" Sh'Ky wasn't really interested in her, not like that, but banter helped pass the time.

Stroking his chin, he looked at her thoughtfully, and took a swig of his beer. "Now, mind you, you can't be goin' round blurting this out, but.. M' source of income... I take money from other people." Shrugging, and with a hapless smile, he said, "Not the most honorable of professions, but what's a man t' do, 'specially in the 'Berth." Winking, he said, "Now I promise ya, I'm not here t' take yer money. I'm just here for the lovely atmosphere."

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shakune on October 12th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Shakune pulled a face. "I didn't chop them myself, no. Not much point in that, is there?" Despite her rough nature, she was not one for violence. Shakune preferred drinking with a stranger, rather than fighting with them. "How can someone pay me with only one hand?" The question was a genuine one; and would most likely indicate to the male just how important she viewed keeping a steady income.

She listened intently as Sh'ky described his own income, and her reaction was one that suggested she knew plenty of other thieves. She glanced to the twenty or so other people also in the tavern. "My estimation is that half of the men and women in 'ere are thieves too. But your secret is safe with me." She winked, playfully. But in truth the idea of secrecy bored Shakune; very few people were important enough to warrant such privacy. Thieves, in her opinion, were no different to bakers. She leant back in her chair, extending her arms in a casual stretch. "Oh, you can try 'nd take m'money if you wanted. You'll find none, but perhaps I'll find some pleasure if you search hard enough."

She took a sip of her ale, and then put her elbows back on the table. "Have you lived 'ere all y'life, then?"

oocSorry for the delay!
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on October 12th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Making a face, she said, "I didn't chop them myself, no. Not much point in that, is there?How can someone pay me with only one hand?" This practical statement made Sh'Ky laugh at her genuine puzzledness. Shakune was a very practical woman, it seemed. As for her reaction when he told her he was a thief, it was a relief to him. She wouldn't blow his cover, when and if he tried to con anyone, and she didn't care if she did. She wasn't one of those rare idealists, always high and mighty about their morality. Well there wasn't always a choice, dammit. Sh'Ky had done the best he could, with the life given to him. Such thoughts left a scowl on his face, and he quickly glanced at Shakune, hoping she didn't think that he was frowning at what she said. "Ahh, sorry miss. Didn't mean to neglect ya, but your words got me thinkin'." Raising his tankard, he finished it off, and set it down on the table, leaning back once more, and looked the woman in her dark eyes. He saw no indicator of her emotions there, but tried to do his best to determine anything from her face. Nothing but practicality and wanting to have a good time was evident on her face, and Sh'Ky wasn't good enough at reading faces to tell anything else.

"Oh, you can try 'nd take m'money if you wanted. You'll find none, but perhaps I'll find some pleasure if you search hard enough." At the woman's suggestive words, Sh'Ky's face burned red, even though he raised his eyebrows sensually. He was a man, after all, and he wasn't blind. "Oh? I might have to search you now. After all, I'm not one to deny a woman her pleasure." Sh'Ky didn't know if he'd actually petch the woman, but hell, she was good-looking, and Sh'Ky wasn't dead. Staring at her pointedly, until she put her elbows back on the table, Sh'Ky listened to her next question, wincing. "Have you lived 'ere all y'life, then?" The question was common, and Sh'Ky had answered honestly every time. Maybe next time, he would consider lying. But first, he'd have to work on his Zeltivan accent. Anyway, back to the lady's question.

"Unfortunately for you, I have no tale any more exotic to tell ya than yes, I have. Grew up on the streets, I steal for a living, blah blah blah." Turning his attention back to the woman, his brain started to get affected by the alcohol that he had ingested. The mug was quite copious, though, and 'Ky was no lightweight, but the beer had the alcohol level of embalming fluid. Pointing at her chest, he said, quite muddled, "So where'd you come from? And have you three been together long?" He flashed what he hoped was a winning smile, but came out as more of an impish grin.
OOCNo problem! :)

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next