no angels.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

no angels.

Postby Yra on September 1st, 2014, 1:31 pm

Funnily enough, I've got all four from Hush, Hush right here. I've read them, and I find them to be not that bad at all. I believe I may have taken a quick look over for the Mortal Instruments, and they remain on my list of things to check out.

Thank you for tossing some authors and series at me! I'm adding these to my list.

For anyone who reads, I will gladly place before you, to consider reading, a series called the Abhorsen Chronicles by Garth Nix. I've read it in my high school days, and I constantly come back to read through them again. The books are Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen respectively.

A short blurb-ish thing would be that the series features magic (Charter and Free), monsters, a very heavily forboding "Afterlife", where the Abhorsen (basically Necromancers) keep Undead creatures from breaking free of. Frankly, Death is incredibly interesting. There are nine levels, and the deeper you go the harder it is to return.

Yra's name is loosely based upon the name of a Free Magic character, commonly referred to as "Mogget", but whom is actually named Yrael.

I also once hazarded a notion to play in Hai as a character named Mog, way back.

Anyway. Abhorsen Chronicles is a wonderful series to sit down and read on a cold day. It's immersive, adventurous, and magical.

Oh. The Abhorsen's tools are so cool. Bells, guys (or a flute, if you're the Abhorsen-in-waiting).
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Yra on September 1st, 2014, 1:36 pm

Before I completely forget, I also have another title to share. Here is a link, as I do not think I'll do it justice.

It is perhaps my favourite story, and the wiki article basically covers everything that is relevant. It's heart-breaking and passionate and powerful, and when I stumbled upon it in a bookstore a couple years back after I graduated school, I had to pick it up. If the fantasy setting of Abhorsen doesn't rock your boat, maybe this will.
Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Adrienna Lynint on September 9th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Throwback Thursday*
*Brought to you by Wednesday

Scrounged up my first PC after remembering that I forgot her name, and was shocked by the difference in writing style between then and now. I can't remember why I had the audacity to retire her after like... a week of play. It was probably something ridiculous as fuck.

I do a lot of things for ridiculous reasons. Gasp!

Anyway, here she is.

Retananil.*

I've decided that, if I ever get the time to pick her up again, I wouldn't mind reviving the PC and playing her out like I could have. My track record with characters kind of sucks, so I don't think I want to go through the process of creation anymore. Retananil could've been a knight! She could still be a Knight! Hmmm.

But, there you go. Throwback Thursday.
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Words: 65714
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 8:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Adrienna Lynint on September 15th, 2014, 7:21 am

Adrienna Lynint;

As a child, I learned to adapt. The skin of the granidile is my protection.

Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Traverse on September 15th, 2014, 7:39 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say MOGGET IS MY FAVORITE. I listened to the Abhorsen series on CD, and Tim Curry reads the books, and they are simply fantastic, him doing Mogget's voice is simply and utterly wonderful.

Also, is that an albino Possum? Because it is adorable.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

no angels.

Postby Yra on September 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm

... Tim Curry? Mogget? Audiobook?

I suddenly feel like I've been missing out, and I'm resolved to hunt this down, listen to it, and then dance myself into a happy grave. I just can't even imagine how this would turn out! Mogget is so sassy, and Tim Curry has an utterly magnificent voice.

I just--- I have to satisfy my curiosity. I'm very thrilled, now!

Also, I couldn't immediately identify the animal in the image, and so I went through comments on the source, and it turns out that that beautiful animal is an albino raccoon named Bella!

Otters are also adorable.

Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Adrienna Lynint on September 20th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Pet peeve 1 & 2;

I'm going to rant the pants off meself here. However, like every other rant I've ever done ever, I have to build myself up to my true rant potential.

I consider myself fairly travel-worn on the internet. I'll start with that. I've played mainly on chat-based roleplay sites, most of whom are now down, and on these sites I've encountered a lot of really annoying behaviour that has... well, annoyed the shit out of me.

I really, really hate tildes used repeatedly. By the same person. One right after the other. Every single damn time they write something.

No~
Seriously~
It gets so annoying~
And like~
I feel like this is really, really passive-aggressive~
And you can just come out and be a dick to me~
No, I would rather prefer you come out and be a dick~
You douchebag~

It's like this really falsely-sweet face people put on when they are about to feed you chocolates laced with laxatives, like "hohoho you about to have a bad night son". Like you're the evil witch with the candy house. No. I see what you're doing, you old hag.

No. No. That's a dick move. Take that tilde you love so much and shove it up your butt. Sit on it. Never take it out. It's got no place being used like that. If I want to have you throw tildes at me, I want you to throw them at me once. Twice. Once a day when we say hello. If we are joking around, okay. Once is allowable, but for fuck's sake, read the moment before you pull it out of your ass-pocket and wave it at me. I really hate overused tildes.

SECONDLY;

The ellipsis. It has it's uses, and while I don't know the formal use that's likely in one of those English grammar book things, I take it to be used for dramatic pauses, or a pause of any kind really that isn't the end to a thought or the continuation of the thought with a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or). So... when I paused like that, I had a thought. It follows up.

Okay...

The second thing is the most annoying aspect of people having stumbled upon the beauty of the ellipsis and having decided to take a crap on it. You also have those people who use it in place of a full stop in their whole damn paragraph.

It's almost as if they never learned English... or even perhaps they forgot... Maybe, they just want to seem dramatic... But they forget that a paragraph does not read like a movie trailer...

PET PEEVES.

AUGH.

/end...

Edit: //rants.
Last edited by Adrienna Lynint on September 22nd, 2014, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Gossamer on September 20th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Wow...
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

no angels.

Postby Adrienna Lynint on October 4th, 2014, 12:44 am

Bad News

Hey, guys.

So, lately my activity has been lagging, despite popping up in chat, talking a bit, then timing out.

I've been sick. For various reasons, I get sick easily. I'm in a lot of pain and there is some worrying tenderness and swelling that could be related, although I doubt it. It's really hard to be attentive to shit I see in the game, like cool posts a D chats, when I basically lose sense of the situation. I'm really sorry, guys.

Gonna hit a walk-in tomorrow if I don't feel better. I'll keep you guys aware.

Ta.
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

no angels.

Postby Tydus Tempest on October 4th, 2014, 1:11 am

Oh no!

I hope you get well soon, Anna. Best wishes and I'm sure everyone completely understands.

- Jacob.
Tydus Tempest
The Tempest Scion

Words: 365477
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2014, 7:45 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1