[Flashback] Death is just another part of life [Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Nehsmay on October 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

500 AV, 35 of Winter

Nehsmay woke up with a feeling of dread in her soul that particular day. It was the 20th day of Winter and her father had been gone for two weeks now selling the spare instruments he crafted in an unknown place to the young Vantha. Her little brother and sister were still asleep as Nehsmay made her way towards the kitchen to grab something to eat. Her mother was already there, cooking breakfast, the dazzling aroma of toast and money filling her room.

“May I help, mother?” Nehsmay asked, fully expecting to be turned down and told she was but a child and children had no need to learn how to cook. However, her mother surprised her: she smiled gently and placed a small stool for the child to climb on.

“Hop on, May! You may help me boil some eggs.” She gave the child a small pot and asked her to pour water in it, filling it only halfway through. Nehsmay eagerly nodded and did as she was told; afterward she carefully washed four white eggs and placed them in the cold water than handed the pot to her mother who placed it on the stove.

“Now we wait.” Her mother said smiling and helped the child down from the stool. Just then Nehsmay’s father entered the hold. He looked sick; his face was deadly white and his eyes were bloodshot and teary. He was shivering from head to toes, but sweat was forming at his temples.

“Darling…” Nehsmay’s mother gasped upon seeing her husband in such a state. “You look terrible. What happened?”

“I’m fine, Keira.” He tried to downsize the effects of his illness, “It’s probably just a virus. It’ll pass in a day or two.”

Nehsmay’s mother ignored him and led him straight to bed, wrapping him up in two thick blankets. He immediately fell asleep, but was soon consumed by fevered dreams that made him toss and turn restlessly.

“Mom…” Nehsmay said while peeking inside her parents’ room “Is papa going to be ok?” She remembered the days when she had been sick and felt unpleasant. She didn’t want her papa to do through the same thing.

“Of course, sweetie.”
Her mother came to her and gently picked her up, placing her on a chair next to her father’s bed. “You can tell him a story to make him feel better.” She smiled trying to hide the uncertainty in her voice.

“OK.” Little Nehsmay smiled happily and started her story “Once upon a time there was a little rabbit called Nemo…”

She continued chatting happily as her mother made her way towards the medicine cabinet to get some herbs that worked against fever.
Last edited by Nehsmay on October 10th, 2010, 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Words: 75952
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Somewhere in Ghed'ahre... stalking Te'ijal and Galahad
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

[Flashback] Death is just another part of life [Solo]

Postby Nehsmay on October 8th, 2010, 6:41 pm

500 AV, 45 of Winter

Days passed and the male Vantha’s condition went from bad to worse… fever raged inside him and soon he turned delirious. He trashed violently in his bed, becoming necessary to tie him to the bed to prevent him from hurting himself. Dark spots appeared on his skin, on his back, torso and limbs, spots that hurt upon touching them. Healers came and went all shaking their heads sadly and saying there was no hope.

However, Nehsmay’s mother, Keira would not give up… she used all the old remedies her mother and grandmother taught her, helped by young Nehsmay who learned all she could in the short time in order to help save her father. She helped her mother dice and chop herbs, boil them and create infusions for her father to drink or mash herbs together to create a healing pasta to allow him to breathe properly. Some days went better, some worse, but slowly his state began deteriorating.

“I’m sorry… Keira…”
he wheezed one day struggling to remain conscious. “I’m …so… tired..” He gently raised one hand and caressed her cheek. Nehsmay’s mother looked at him with tears in her eyes.

“Let me bring the kids. You have to say goodbye to them…”

“No… I don’t … want them … to see.” He coughed and struggled to breathe.
He gazed deeply into his wife’s eyes one last time and with a sad smile faded into nothingness.

“Noooo!” Keira heard an almost animalic cry from behind her. Soft footsteps resounded in the room and little Nehsmay launched herself on her father’s bed crying and pounding his chest with her small fists.

“You can’t… you can’t… you can’t… mama promised… you can’t go…” the child cried heartbrokenly “you have to teach me how to play the guitar… and use the bow… you promised…” Nehsmay curled in a fetal position and sobbed.

Keira gently picked her up and stroke her hair, whispering a lullaby to lull her to sleep. Soon the child’s mind went black and Keira sighed sadly looking at her elder child and the two younger ones sleeping in their cribs.

“Why did you have to leave us, dear one.” Tears rolled down her cheeks understanding that it had been the last time she had had the possibility to speak with her husband. She sat her child down on her bed and left to inform the rest of the Hold of her husband’s passing… then she would have to make funeral preparations.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Words: 75952
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Somewhere in Ghed'ahre... stalking Te'ijal and Galahad
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 10th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Character:Nehsmay
Experience: Cooking +1, Storytelling +1, Herbalism +1
Lore: Lore of dealing with the loss of a father
Lore of dealing with sickness at a young age

Additional Note: I really liked this post although it was sad. Just a few notes. Please remember that all Vantha in Avanthal live in holds, not seperate houses. I'm not sure what hold you are in but keep in mind that Whitevine is really the only hold that has knowledge about medicine and they are the city's doctors. You and your family can know about medicine but unless you are a Whitevine your family would not have long standing remedies. Other than that it is a very good post. Feel free to PM me if you think you deserve anymore XP.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)