Into the breach [Ragnor Matlian's Scrapbook]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Ragnor Matlian on January 8th, 2013, 7:10 pm

To christen the beginning of this 'scrapbook' of IRL information about the player behind the character, there is this quote that fits perfectly with the topic of my first post in this scrapbook which has been woefully necessary for a long time coming. Cheers.

"Never ruin an apology with an excuse" ~Kimberly Johnson

Absence and Shame

For those of you who recognize this player character, and the accounts associated with it which include, Lariat, Dovinya, Atl, Faraluun, and even Darian and Nex before I retired them, this post is my terribly inadequate apology for my actions. As a moderator, I was horribly irresponsible and sickeningly lazy and hurt my domain because of it for which I carry much shame. As a player character I echoed the same irresponsibleness and laziness, making poor choices in the process that dug me further in the mud. As a character, moderater, and player, I'd become an utter let down. Looking back upon it, I felt and feen my mistakes keenly especially since I know now what I should have done, because as it is often said that hindsight has 20/20 vision. The fact that I didn't act immediately to rectify my mistakes added to the regret that festered and prompted the same routine inaction for a long while.

With this I do to break this cycle of not accepting responsibility for the actions that tarnish the name. That is to say this is not as a ploy to seek forgiveness, rather for me to simply own up to my failures.

With that, for now, I bid you adue.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 8th, 2013, 8:05 pm

So are you back? We did enjoy playing with you!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on October 28th, 2014, 5:03 pm

So I'm finally replying to my past call out, though in only vagaries I'm afraid. I realized, absent alcohol, I don't feel like delving too deep on my personal feelings or recent background, and for that matter, I don't think readers would care to see such. So I'll be general and say the generic. I was inactive for two major reasons, the first being irresponsibility, and the second being indecisiveness. I decided it was alright not to make the hard decisions, and just go with what the mode dictated which invariably led to some very poor choices that the consequences of are all mine to bear. I thought my self so clever, so on top of it, I didn't see the dilution until consequence caught up to me.

That enough about me, and the last mention it'll get. I feel like its more than a bit of self serving waxing, but for those who might have enjoyed writing with me, those whom I've flaked on time and again, I felt I needed to post this. I would go into more detail, but I don't feel too comfortable with that, and so I won't.

On a side note, I've decided to take up writing again, and am batting some ideas for characters against the wall. I'm not sure if I will be continuing Ragnor, his history as I've told it via thread is a bit convoluted and doesn't quite make sense when you put it all together. I also don't think I can even play him anyways after having him inactive for so long.

In any case a lot to decide upon.

-Sincerely,
Andrew
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 3rd, 2014, 1:23 am

I decided to take a crack at Nano as a way to work on my writing and to get some experience at writing something longer than what I'm used to. Already I've learned something through trying out word sprints and the value of them. A lot of the time recently I get so caught up editing that I lose sight of the story and become disinterested as a result even though I might have originally really like the concept. This can have the affect of disillusioning me from trying to create more thusly. So by trying it this way, I figured out I could churn out more than a few paragraphs of a coherent story and have some enjoyment from it.

Now I just got to figure out how to push the editor aside when I'm not writing! Maybe just not think about what I'm writing as much? Keep it sort of spur of the moment? Eh, I'm not sure, but reading about other peoples stories on why they write certainly does help.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 4th, 2014, 3:39 am

7,000 words so far, and upon a genre I never really expected myself to write within, Science Fiction. Its proving to be quite enjoyable and challenging experience that I think I might be able to apply to the way I do posts her on the site. Working out just how though because the new question.

Anyways, I think people should post more of their own personal writing experiences no matter how mundane it might be to them. It really is more helpful than it might initially seem.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 4th, 2014, 4:08 pm

So one thing I've always found hardest about making a character here on Mizahar is choosing what race your going to be apart of. This is because of my tendency to indecisiveness and then when I do decide, doubting my choice, the grass is greener thought process you know. Does knowing this make it any easier? Not really because there are some many great ones to choose one leaving it to your personal taste to decide I suppose. Which comes to my second issue in deciding, for by such rational, I still like them all for like with all things, there are aspects that appeal to me about the various races and their are aspects that don't.

I suppose I could do a cost benefit analysis on the whole thing, drawing up a spread sheet of choices and labeling the points of interest to work my way down to the most logical conclusion for myself but that kind of takes the fun of spontaneity out of the whole thing. Spontaneity does have it drawback however, one being the fact come doubt or questions about my choice, I'd have little to say than uh, just picked it, but then again, it would lead me to try something new that I might not otherwise have had if I sat down and weighed things out. Perhaps I might learn something from my choice.

I don't know though, I'll have to think about it, but right now, I'm kind of leaning on picking a name out of a hat and going with it. It is a quite tempting prospect.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 6th, 2014, 12:27 am

Alright.. This is going to be quick given the different things I want to do soon before it gets too late into the night. First off, I've decided to do the random drawing for a race followed by possibly a second random drawing for occupation depending on what I first draw.

That however is besides the point, at least as far as this post is concerned. For the intent of this one is to challenge myself to a personal Nanosprint of 1,000 words in 30 minutes starting in four minutes. I'll edit this post afterwards with an updated count of how I do.

Also, I'm considering inviting a friend of mine whom is doing Nano as well to this site. Probably be healthier than talking to myself on here.

Update: I got close! 912 words. I think I can make it this next time around if I turn spell check off. Most of it is spelled right, but typing fast creates all sorts of grammar issues and I get caught up looking at the green lines.

Anyways I'm going for it again now, in 2 minutes, I'll update on how I did.

Alright for my second time around I got 1073 words!
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 6th, 2014, 3:23 pm

So I've done the drawing of races, which also included human subgroups as well which is how I drew what I did. I picked out of the pile of names, Drykas, which is simultaneously both an interesting and uncomfortable choice. Interesting because its become easier for me to identify with what I think of as typical psychology for them, and uncomfortable because I've been involved with them before. Uncomfortable also because Ragnor is in the region as well, around Riverfall, and is bound to force me into making a hard decision which I might as well get over with now before its possible creation.

This is because if I do make a drykas, his story is going to undoubtably eventually end up on Riverfall since I don't just want to make a completely left field one just to avoid the hard decisions. This is also the little matter, that even if he wasn't to go to Riverfall ever, I'm not completely certain you can have two characters in the same Region, and by region I mean both in the Cyphrus, not in the same city of course because that would be obviously a no go.

Its a hard decision because despite the flaws in his backstory, I actually kind of like Ragnor, and he's the only one of my first few characters I haven't retired in my impulsive spree on such matters. An so if I am going to do this, retire him that is... er, I don't know.. I think I might try and get some feedback on this.. I know how it looks from my point of view but only mine which draws me to the conclusion a fresh pair of eyes on the matter might be a good thing. Finding those eyes though, now theres the rub.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 8th, 2014, 1:40 am

There was a lot more lore on what has happened with the Drykas ever since I was away. So much so its taken me a bit longer than I anticipated to track down all of it, all I know at least. I've decided in favor of my Drykas, but am tempted to adopt a wait and see attitude to Ragnor though it is just procrastinating I suppose. I digress though, for really I'm just getting on here right now to lay out my planning for tomorrow with regards to the time I've allotted for this character.

First step: Work out the general details of the character, and by that I mean a general summary of whom he is, and his general opinions on matters of importance, as well as how he approaches things.

Second Step: Visualize my character with this information in mind, and establish a suitable physical description.

Third Step: Finish the character sheet off by entering in the basic details.

Fourth Step: Practice coding it so it looks at least a little nice.

Next goal: Decide on a topic for first post.

Not much I know, but think of these as placeholders for the moment because tomorrow I'm going to edit in some details of the step by step as I go along just to keep track of my progression in case I need to backtrack for whatever reason.

That is it for this post however, Tschüss!
Last edited by Ragnor Matlian on November 10th, 2014, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on November 10th, 2014, 2:35 am

Yea, so I ended up not being so productive this weekend, not so much as I could have at least, but I will be getting to work on what I outlined before. Tomorrow possibly, I'll have to see cause I've got German Homework, a presentation, and I'm wanting to do 4,000 more words for my nano to make up for me not doubling up my daily word count yesterday.

Anyways, I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just trying to feel my way through a schedule for the rest of this week. Also, if anyone want to talk about their experiences writing, feel free to send me a pm. I am certainly down for a discussion or two.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Next