[Flashback] Don't leave me [Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Nehsmay on October 10th, 2010, 4:57 pm

29th of Autumn, 506 AV

She knew what she was doing was wrong; she was deliberately going against her mother’s order and that was one of the greatest sins in her opinion. But she couldn’t stand it anymore… all the fussing, the smoldering, the tears… Ever since her father had died, her mother had clung to her children in order to preserve a piece of the one she had lost. At first it had been all right… she was simply a child and enjoyed the extra mothering she received. But now everything was different. She was 12 and old enough to take care of herself; she no longer needed a sitter. She would prove everyone that she was not a weakling.

Nehsmay had left at the crack of dawn; her father’s old short bow stood perched over her shoulder while she marched to the stables and mounted her mother’s horse, a Frostmarch called Myra. She quickly led the horse outside the stables and into the wilderness. Nehsmay knew fully well what she had to do: learn how to hunt and bring back some game for the others to fully appreciate her. This was her chance to prove her worth.

She rode for three hours straight… as a child her father had told her where the perfect hunting spots were; he had also told her to stay clear of them if she was by herself, but Nehsmay chose to ignore that particular piece of advice. There were wolves prowling the area, joined by snow leopards and other predators, but these dangers had been ignored.

The mare, Myra was trotting happily, carrying her little mistress wherever Nehsmay led her. Soon enough they were far away in the wilderness, unable to call for help should a crisis arise.

Suddenly a howl erupted in the stillness of the icy landscape, followed by a second and a third. Myra halted and her owner looked around frightened. A large, gray wolf appeared from her left, followed closely by a second one. The third wolf approached her from behind howling mercilessly. Myra grew restless and reared, trying to hit the predators with her hooves… once and then twice. However, Nehsmay was unable to keep her grip steady and fell in the snow. She tried to stand up quickly and mount her horse again… her ankle gave away under her as it had been hurt in the fall and Nehsmay fell once again.

The third wolf tried to attack the mare, but Myra reared powerfully and knocked him over with her hooves than ran away, leaving the young Vantha behind. The remaining two wolves charged hungrily…one of them leaped…
Last edited by Nehsmay on October 15th, 2010, 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Words: 75952
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Somewhere in Ghed'ahre... stalking Te'ijal and Galahad
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

[Flashback] Don't leave me [Solo]

Postby Nehsmay on October 10th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Nehsmay cried out in fright as she saw the huge silver shade launch itself at her. She tried to crawl away as fast as possible, using her injured leg to the best of her abilities. She fumbled for her short bow and unleashed an arrow that missed its target by a long shot. The second wolf approached her from the left and she sent an arrow its way as well, narrowly missing the predator. An angry growl erupted from the animal’s throat as it circled the girl.

The Vantha stood frozen in her place… her ankle was aching powerfully making her unable to move and all her arrows were missing their shots… she had no way to defend herself. In a last desperate attempt she unleashed a third arrow that hit one of the wolves in its leg making him howl in pain and dash to the woods. However one more remained and he was not swayed easily… a hungry, ferocious glint sparkled in its blue eyes as it revealed its fangs and unleashed a feral growl. It was a few steps away from Nehsmay, noticing her week state, marking her as a perfect target.

The wolf leaped towards her… Nehsmay closed her eyes waiting for the end to come, for the fangs to clasp over her body and the pain to erupt. However, it did not happen… a different growl erupted in the air, an angry war like growl and when Nehsmay opened her eyes she saw a beautiful snow leopard charging at the lone wolf. Its silver coat shimmered in the light as it prowled around the wolf and attacked it… fangs clashed with fangs, claws with claws, but soon enough the wolf stood wounded, dying in the snow staining the white ground with its crimson blood.

The leopard turned its blood stained fangs towards the girl and approached her gently. Nehsmay crawled away from it, but had no chance to overrun the majestic feline. Suddenly, a white light engulfed the leopard and in its place stood a thirty or so year old man, with striking silver hair and gray eyes with slit pupils. He smiled reassuringly towards the girl revealing slightly elongated canines reminiscent of his snow leopard genes.

Nehsmay’s eyes widened in disbelief as the events of the day finally took their toll on her… she slid into darkness, falling unconscious.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Character sheet

Postby Nehsmay on October 12th, 2010, 9:10 am

When Nehsmay woke up she was struggling for breath… she was having another attack so she bolted into a sitting position and started gasping, trying to fill her lungs with air. Not having her mother next to her was making her panicky, knowing fully well that Keira was the only one who knew how to control her daughter’s attacks. Suddenly she felt a kind hand on her shoulder and a voice said soothingly.

“Take long breaths… breathe in and out…”

She tried to listen to the voice, not registering yet who it belonged to, but knowing the voice meant well. She took deep breaths and started settling down.
“That’s a good lass… in and out… good girl.”

Once she settled down, Nehsmay turned her attention towards the one the voice belonged to and saw the snow leopard turned man. She yelped in fright and crawled away from him brushing his hand off her shoulder. The stranger smirked, but stepped back a few steps.

“Such a skittish little cub you are, Vantha. Do you think I went through the effort to save you from those wolves so that I can hurt you?”

“How do I know you don’t like your food kicking and screaming… you’re a leopard.” Nehsmay accused nervously and the man laughed.

“I’m a Kelvic, cub. Never met one before?”
Nehsmay shook her head signaling no. “No? Really? Not even the kelvic polar bears that work for Morwen in the Icewatch?” Again Nehsmay shook her head no. “Now that’s interesting. Did you even hear about Kelvics? Yes… good. How come you never met one?”

“I didn’t really leave my Hold that much…my mother shelters me.”

“Because you are sick?” he asked and smiled seeing Nehsmay’s startled look. “I can smell it… leopards smell weakness so they know which prey is easier to catch without kicking and screaming.” He laughed again… “My name is Shade, little cub. What’s yours?”

“Neh..smay..” the young Vantha staggered than winced as pain shot through her leg.

“And what is a small child doing all alone in the wild?”

“I’m not small!” she cried out “ I want to prove everyone that I am not weak, that I am not worthless just because my heart is frail. I don’t need anyone pitying me.”

“And you came here to hunt all alone…” Shade shook his head in annoyance. “Where you a real leopard cub, I would have cuffed you one. You would have turned from hunter to hunt where it not for me, silly child.”

“I know…” she lowered her head in shame “I just wanted to prove myself.” She rubbed her aching ankle and shifted it into a different position.

“Then wait till you’re older. Let me have a look at that ankle of yours…”

A few hours later, the two were returning to Avanthal, Shade carrying the small child on his back in leopard form. A tight bandage was wrapped around the girl’s ankle and she was able to ride the feline without feeling much pain. Shade stopped at Avanthal’s gates and put the girl down, blurring into human form again.

“Here you are cub…try not to run away again.”
He turned to leave, but Nehsmay tugged on his sleeve.

“Wait! Will I see you again?” She had come to care for the man in the small time they had spent together.

“I’ll find you next autumn. Maybe I'll even teach you how to hunt… go home now.”

Nehsmay nodded and turned around, failing to see a snow leopard running in the wilderness; she headed straight to her Hold where she was engulfed in a hug by her teary eyed mother.

“Where have you been? I thought I had lost you when Myra came home by herself. What happened to your ankle?”

“I went to hunt… We were attacked by wolves and I fell… a leopard saved me…”

“To hunt? A leopard?”
Keira’s eyes widened in disbelief so Nehsmay began to tell her tale.
Last edited by Nehsmay on October 12th, 2010, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Character sheet

Postby Nehsmay on October 12th, 2010, 9:47 am

61 of Autumn, 507 AV

Autumn had come once again and as promised, Shade found Nehsmay. He had asked permission from Nehsmay’s mother to take her in the wilderness in order for the child to try her hand at hunting. Her mother had reluctantly agreed and the two made their way towards the same spot where they had met a year ago.

“Pick a tree and chose a hit point. Then try again and again till you reach the target. I can’t really help you much because I’m abysmal at using a bow…I’m here to supervise.” Shade grinned and Nehsmay did as she was told. She missed again and again, countless times over, but at the end of the day she had managed to reach her target once or twice.

“Congratulations, cub!” Shade ruffled her hair “Now let’s get back before your mother has my hide.”

25 of Autumn, 508 AV

“Look, Shade, no hands!” Nehsmay yelped in delight as she rode Myra without holding the reins. Shade looked at her, watching yet not really seeing. His mind was elsewhere and he looked weary; his hair had turned a lighter shade over the years and fine lines appeared at the edges of his eyes.

“Shade are you ok?” Nehsmay asked as she dismounted Myra next to him. “You look lost…”

“I am lost…” he trailed off “ I have been since she died…but now it’s too late.”

“I don’t understand.” Nehsmay gazed at him sadly “Is there anything I can do to help you?”

“You can be yourself, cub.” He smiled “Seeing you smile cheers me up every time.”

Nehsmay nodded and launched herself at him hugging Shade tightly; something was wrong and she knew he needed comfort.

29 of Autumn, 509 AV

“I’m not coming back next year Nehsmay…” the Kelvic said sadly. “I’m sorry. I can’t do this anymore.”

“Why? What can’t you do?” the Vantha asked with tears in her eyes. “Next year I’ll finally be an adult…and you won’t be there to congratulate me.”

“I’m sorry, cub… I’m weary and this is saddening you. Kelvic don’t live long and it always ends in heartbreak for those around them when they die. I have five years left… if I am lucky. My death will only tear you apart… it’s not worth it. I don't want to die a rugged old man wasting away... I'll know when the last year will be there and I'll be a leopard when my final moment comes.”

“I don’t care…” she cried out stubbornly. “I.. I love you.” She gazed at him sadly and saw him smile.

“I know, my sweet cub, I know. That’s why I have to leave. Find yourself a good vantha and live happily together.” Shade hugged her softly and placed a kiss on her forehead. “It’s too late for me.”
She reluctantly withdrew herself from his embrace and turned her back on him.

“I’m leaving next year… I’ll go travel the world. I already talked this through with mother… she gave me two years to do as I please, but afterward I must return and wed. I had hoped I might be able to travel with you, but this is not the case. I really hope we’ll meet each other again.” She turned around again and gazed at him with tears in her eyes. “I hope you can be happy. Take care!”

Nehsmay ran home crying softly… upon entering the Hold she furiously wiped her tears and went to her mother. Keira was expecting her and took her to the stables, beaming with pride. A small, silver foal was standing next to Myra.

“He is yours. He will be perfect for your trip. What will you name him?”

Nehsmay approached the foal silently and took into account its silver color. Then she hugged him over the neck and cried, muttering a name between sobs.

“Shade…”

The End

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 13th, 2010, 12:18 am

Character: Nehsmay
Experience: Riding +1, Shortbow +2, Archery +2, Hunting +1
Lore: Nature of Kelvics

Additional Note: I really liked this thread. Like REALLY liked it. I expect good things from you girl! Keep up the great posting. Feel free to PM me with anything you feel I missed.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)