Closed [Anthonius Fighter's Pit] Strength of Arms

The power of one versus the versatility of many

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Anthonius Fighter's Pit] Strength of Arms

Postby Zikiro on November 8th, 2014, 11:22 pm

61st of Fall, 514

A free day was rare, considering how much time he spent at the Ironworks, but it seemed necessary. Though he loved his job, breathing in the forge-smoke and hearing the other smiths gripe and grumble took away from the Smithing dream. Fresh air and the prospect of another angle seemed like a good way to spend his free time.

He'd heard about a place; a ruined building that had turned into a training facility for civilians. It was definitely somehting to look into, especially seeing as how his skills in self defense were "run away" or "swing wildly till something breaks." Knowledge on how to fight unarmed would be good, even better if eventually he could find himself a good weapon. Maybe a Greatsword? They were very powerful, after all.

Either way, he still needed to find a partner... As he stepped down from the crumbling stone boarder into the "pit" his earthy hazel eyes scan across the weapons racks. They appeared stocked with dulled but still lethal weapons. Axes, swords, hammers... Hammers, now. That could be my weapon. His right hand drops to his belt where his Isurian Steel sledge hammer sat. Of course, he would never draw his heirloom offensively, but it was not a bad idea to consider a larger version.

Zikiro walks over to the rack and plucks one of the weapons from it. His choice was a large war hammer. It looked like an enlarged version of his own; a large-faced striking side and a narrow precision point on the other. The difference was, the striking side had ridges, meant to maximize damage and the point was far sharper on the weapon, meant for impaling. Granted, both were dull, they still looked pretty lethal to the Isur.

He held the long shaft in both hands, his right hand just a palm's width away from the head. His grip was wide, getting a feel for the weapon; it's weight, it's balance, it's purpose and use. Though he'd never forged one, he'd seen a few forged in the Ironworks. It had the potential to be a beautiful weapon indeed.

"You beauty..." He whispered, a grin spreading across his features. Feeling bold, he gave the large hammer a swing. Bringing it up over his right shoulder, he practically threw it like a wood ax, letting his left hand slide down the shaft a short ways to extend the hammer's distance. He wielded it like a master.

Or so he thought. The excess momentum spun the poor Isur right out of his footing and onto his backside in a heartbeat. His hands released, letting the hammer go thumping and skidding across the packed earth as he fell onto his rear. Brilliant. Just brilliant... Good thing no one is here, or they would be doubled over in laughter at that epic failure.
This is the hammer of Intelligence.
Those who lack intelligence shall be hit with it.
Those who do not learn shall be hit again.
Repeatedly.

Common | Isur
Zikiro
Player

Words: 17759
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2014, 8:01 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aventis on November 9th, 2014, 12:34 am

61st of Autumn, 514 AV

Aventis stood, once again in the Anthonius training pits, perusing the given weapons. He was comfortable with his rapier, beyond comfortable, but Aventis might want to... Accommodate his other arms if he is ever going to be a successful fighter, let alone a successful squire. There was no lack of options. Maces and hammers and swords of various lengths, sizes, strengths... It was all a bit much to understand. He needed something simple, something basic... Ah! Shields. That'll do.

Aventis moved over to the portion of weapons that included shields. Feeling much more comfortable in this setting, Aventis took two smaller shields, rounded and heavy, laying them on the ground so that he may unbutton his cloak to reveal his arms which, in this setting, were a feat of strength and a reason for the stronger of fighters to be drawn to him.

As Aventis was about to unbutton his cloak, he noticed a man who had recently entered, obviously subjected to next to no training. The man picked up a sizable hammer, and stroked it.

Weird.

One would assume that he knew his weapons, and how to handle them, and yet when the man tried his hand at a practice swing, the hammer's weight was too much for him, and at the arch of his swing, he fell flat on his back.

Aventis made his best effort not to burst out laughing, buckling over and supporting himself with his upper arms as to not completely fall over. After a moment of red-faced heavy breathing, he pushed himself up off the ground and walked over to the man, still on the ground, seeing it as a chance to show off. He waited until he noticed Aventis.

"Here," He said, pushing one of his lower hands out of his cloak and offering it to him. "Let me help you up."

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Shameless self advertising. Feel free to make a request!

Aventis
Your brother in multiple arms

Words: 158586
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2014, 9:14 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Zikiro on November 9th, 2014, 12:48 am

Zikiro caught sight of the man now, after having suspected this place to be empty. It seems he was wrong. At least this fellow was not like some of the more trained warriors; men who would laugh at the weak before flaunting their skills in open degradation of his own. Those people weren't worth a bucket of shyke, much less the metal they wielded.

The Isur took the offered hand with his own flesh-hued limb and lifted himself up. Though only five foot, Avantis might find his weight unusually dense. Of course, if he knew the various differences between human and Isur, he would probably find Zikiro a bit underweight. "Thank you. I'm afraid I'm much more accustomed to forging than wielding. It just took a good tumble for my brain and body to agree on it." With a few pats of his hands against his rear and thighs, dirt and browned foliage fall back to the earth below.

"I take it you are here for training too. What takes your fancy? The solidity nad weight of a Hammor, the swiftness and dexterity of the sword or the in-between Axe?" His interest in weapons might become a bit more obvious with the eagerness in his voice. He quickly strides over to his dropped hammer and plucks it from the earth. Zikiro left the bulk of the weapon propped on the ground, while propping on the shaft that was almost as tall as he was, maybe a head shorter at best.
Repeatedly.

Common | Isur
Zikiro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aventis on November 9th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Aventis, pulling the man up, couldn't help but notice the futility of his gesture. It usually was when he flashed his lower arms that whomever he flashed them to would at least bulge their eyes a little. To be completely honest, Aventis was a little disappointed that the man just took his offer and stood.

Aventis looked the man up and down. For someone who was so sturdy, so dense, he didn't have much experience with a weapon. Strange that a man with such a build didn't know shyke about a weapon he seemed to favor. Of course, there was the entirely plausible theory that he wasn't exactly healthy. Aventis kept this in mind as he continued to observe the man who he had stumbled across. He seemed completely normal, save his hand, which was the oddest shade of crimson. Aventis didn't pay much mind, seeing as it could have been anything from blood to paint, and dismissed it immediately.

"Thank you," he said. "I'm much more accustomed to forging than to wielding."

That explains the weight. Aventis thought. Wait... If he's a smith with a red hand, then he would be...

"Just took a tumble for my body and brain to agree..." He said. He seemed downright chipper. Seemed.

"I take it that you're here to train here, too?" He asked. Aventis quietly nodded yes, not entirely sure of how to react to that man. "What takes your fancy?" He asked. Aventiswas about to answer when the man spoke again "The solidity nad weight of a hammer, the swiftness and dexterity of the sword or the in-between axe?" He asked.

Aventis, who had decided to humor the somewhat quirky man, took a step back, and with his top arm drew his rapier smoothly, offering it to the stranger.

"It's not much. Its balance is off, it's dull, to put it at best... But it's nice. And I like it." He told him.

"If you're here to train, you should probably pick a weapon more suited to your... Stature. Falling down during a fight is probably not the best way to go about winning." He said, extending his arm, wanting his rapier. "Maybe a sword. I wouldn't know. I'm not an expert."

Aventis

Credit to: Rhys for picture edit, Redd and Estellir Konrath for Boxcodes, and Fallon for Signature

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Zikiro on November 9th, 2014, 6:17 pm

He'd seen Eypharians before, the beings with four or even six arms loved their weapons. Hanging around the Ironworks he'd heard mention of one or two, but he'd seen the bulk in Sultros. During his training, some of their kind would pass through, looking for the best weapons while somehow completely ignoring the smiths that forged them. Usually it was only the wealthy allowed in, perhaps that was the problem.

This one seemed more pleasant though, obviously more accepting of other races. As the Eypharian replied by drawing his sword. The list of faults with the weapon caused the smith's brows to furrow. He did not interrupt the man until he finished, suggesting a new weapon of choice, but he had things to say about the weapon he chose.

"You should take that to the Ironworks. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have it sharpened at least, nothing at all if you find the right smith." He offered kindly, seemingly more interested in the metal than the idea of taking up a weapon. He was a smith after all, not a full blooded weapon's master.

"As for the hammer... with training I believe I could wield it. That was the first time I've wielded something like that for something other than striking hot steel. To be honest, I have no fighting skill. The last time I was confronted with a thief, I simply struck him across the face with a walking stick. By accident I should add." He shrugged slightly, before lifting the hammer and carrying it over to the rack of weapons. He chose a smaller version meant for one hand, somewhere between the size of the hammer at his belt and the hammer he just put away. "How about this one?"
Repeatedly.

Common | Isur
Zikiro
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Aventis on November 9th, 2014, 10:57 pm

The man expressed the strangest look on his face when presented with the weapon. It expressed contempt, curiosity... Above everything else, Aventis recognized that it appeared as it the man almost felt... Sad when presented with the weapon. Of course, Aventis deduced that he could only be Isur, and the only thing Aventis knew about Isur were their love for metal, so it's not too strange for him to be disappointed with his sword. It was in deplorable condition, after all.

"You should take that to the Ironworks. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have it sharpened at least, nothing at all if you find the right smith." he suggested, confirming Aventis' suspicions.

"I'd thought about it," he said. "I just... Don't trust anyone to touch it. It's mine." He said. "But... I mean... For your weapon, I-"

"As for the hammer... with training I believe I could wield it. That was the first time I've wielded something like that for something other than striking hot steel. To be honest, I have no fighting skill. The last time I was confronted with a thief, I simply struck him across the face with a walking stick. By accident I should add." He said.

"I... Um.. Alright. That's nice... I suppose..." he said, unsure of how to respond. "If you like, we could spar. Let you get a feel for a hammer. But it's a bit heavy for you."

"How about this one?" the man asked, picking another hammer up.

"Uh... Yeah. I'm not exactly an expert. But if you want to, sure. Looks like a better size for you."

Aventis

Aventis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nivel on January 3rd, 2015, 4:45 am

Zikiro :
XP Award:
  • 1 Weapon: War Hammer
  • 1 Observation
  • 1 Socialization
  • 1 Rhetoric
Lore:
  • Taking breaks is needed sometimes
  • Aventis: The helpful Eypharian
Notes: Not much going on but I tried to give you something.
Aventis :
XP Award:
  • 2 Observation
  • 2 Rhetoric
  • 2 Socialization
Lore:
  • Zikiro: Totally sucks at using a war hammer
  • Zikiro: An Isur blacksmith from Ironworks
Notes: There wasn't a whole lot I could give you but I tried

Additional Comments: If you have any questions of concerns please send me a PM

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage