Location Visiting the Storm Shrine [Ayatah]

New lessons in combat.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Visiting the Storm Shrine [Ayatah]

Postby Ayatah on November 9th, 2014, 11:13 am

Ayatah mulled over the Kelvic's first question. Of course she missed her family and friends, but did she miss the jungle itself? She supposed that the very fact she was having to ask herself the question indicated to Ayatah that her answer was no. But that seemed unappreciative of Myri's kingdom, and guilt nibbled away at her conscience. Her head tilted slightly, and Aya frowned as she considered her reply. "I don't know. Sometimes I do. When I feel frustrated, I wish I could stride into the jungle to be alone, but here there are so many people." She shrugged her shoulders before speaking again, "but other times I realise how much Zeltiva can give me. Taloba could never provide me with the knowledge and career I wanted. Do you want to return to Avanthal one day?" She hoped that the other woman would say no; it would certainly make Aya feel less guilty.

As the redhead slashed her dagger, Aya circled her slowly, black eyes scanning up and down her body to take note of her stance, arms and hands. Once again, she was impressed. Saraphina moved smoothly, as if her muscles were liquid and her bones jelly. "Have you ever danced before, Saraphina? Or perhaps acrobatics?" If the girl had good balance and was light on her feet, Aya guessed she would be able to master Myrian Fire dancing in no time.

But it was the redhead's statement about bones that truly impressed the half-breed. She smiled faintly, and the modesty of her smile hid the appreciation and admiration that swelled warmly in her belly. "You are the first person outside Taloba who seems to appreciate Bones the way I do." Saraphina had been correct when she'd said that most people regard bones as fearful. Many individuals who Aya had spoken to reacted in such a way when she introduced herself. "It is good to hear someone else say those words."

The Myrian demonstrated the reverse grip once more. With a flick of her elbow, she raised her arm vertically to block an imaginary attack. She nodded. "You're correct. By raising your arm in response to your opponent, you can block their attack or knock their weapon out of their hands." Her unarmed left hand tapped her wrist and then her elbow. "You must be careful, though. If you connect a joint to your opponent, you could fracture your bones."

Once again, she regarded the Kelvic before twisting her body, presenting Saraphina with her slim right side, leading with her dagger in her right hand. Her knees were bent, joints poised and limber and ready for battle. "You know the two most basic holds now, so let's practise them." A smirk came to her lips; she was clearly enjoying this. "You try to stab me, and I'll try to dodge or block. Take your time, though. It's important that you familiarise yourself with how your muscles move with the dagger." She demonstrated by reaching forward with her dagger in a forward-grip, poking Saraphina in the navel before retracting her arm away. "As you feel more confident, and become more on target, we can speed up." With that, Ayatah nodded, and shuffled herself left and right to become a moving, bobbing target. Should Saraphina move to stab her, Ayatah might turn left or right to dodge the dagger, or raise her left arm to block the jab. Other times, she allowed the wooden blade to touch her skin, and when she did Aya would watch the dagger carefully until it came in contact with her stomach or arm, as if measuring the pressure and accuracy with which Saraphina wielded it.

oocSo sorry for the delay! In truth, I thought I had replied to you a while ago but clearly hadn't. My apologies! :)

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on November 13th, 2014, 2:13 am

Saraphina Skyglow

A s Saraphina practised with the wooden dagger, slashing at the air, she mulled over Ayatah's question. Did she miss her winter homeland? She sometimes missed the company of her Mother and the beauty of the dancing Aurora. But did she want to return? Pausing in her movements, she glanced up at the clear sky broken by fluffy white clouds, "I miss Avanthal....but I crave discovery. I want to travel...see what else lingers in the world. Maybe once my wanderlust fades I'll return. But not now." Saraphina tried very hard not to feel nervous or uneasy as the golden skinned women circled around her. But it was hard. With her Kelvic instincts, Ayatah's actions felt very much like those of a predator. But the more human part of her mind knew that the Myrian's intent was only to observe and help her learn better. So despite her urge to follow Ayatah and not allow her back to be exposed, Saraphina remained where she was and kept pratising.

T he comment about Saraphina perhaps being a dancer made her smile. Ayatah had likely never dealt with a Kelvic before. She probably won't know that all of the shifter race moved with an almost unnatural grace that was alien to humans. But the Myrian's question was quite flattering regardless, "No, I'm not much of a dancer....though the thought is rather intriguing. But I am quite skilled in acrobatics and agile maneuvers. That's portably what you are seeing Ayatah." She was somewhat surprised that her teachers culture with the bones of her ancestors wasn't appreciate by others. But then...she did have much more of a wild view on things. Rotating her wrist around, she understood Ayatahs point that her joint could be hurt if she wasn't careful with the reverse grip. When her weapons mentor finally smirked and said they were ready for a practise match, Saraphina felt a surge of excitement flow through her. She truly did love a good fight.

W hen Ayatah moved back and started bobbing around, the red head smirked a bit. She really didn't expect to be able to get in a hit, the Myrian was much more experienced with weapon fight than she was. But hopefully she'd pick up some good points at the very least. Switching her grip on the dagger to the offensive position, Saraphina slashed at the air a few times to get the feel of the movement again. Shifting her stance so she balanced on the balls of her feet, the Kelvic started to circle Ayatah. Watching the dark haired warriors eyes and center of her body for any clues as to how she might move, Saraphina struck forward with all the speed she could muster, stabbing at Ayatah's belly.

Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Keene Ward on April 5th, 2015, 7:41 am

Grades

“For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”
-Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

Saraphina

Skills
    Acrobatics +2
    Unarmed Combat +1
    Observation +4
    Rhetoric +1
    Tactics +2
    Riding +1
    Intimidation +1
    Negotiation +1
    Storytelling +3
    Socialization +4
    Animal Husbandry +1
    Horsemanship +1
    Investigation +4
    Land Navigation +1
    Philosophy +1
    Cosmetology +2
    Knot Tying +1
    Weapon: Dagger +3

Lores
    Animal Husbandry: Asserting Dominance
    Dagger: Basic Grip
    Dagger: Reverse Grip
    Philosophy: Bones Symbolize More Than Death
    Ayatah: Basic History
    Falyndar: A Distant Jungle
    The Tradition of the Scattered Bones

Rewards/Consequences
None

Notes
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Ayatah

Skills
    Observation +3
    Socialization +4
    Teaching +4
    Rhetoric +2
    Storytelling +2
    Investigation +2
    Cosmetology +1
    Weapon: Dagger +1

Lores
    Saraphina: Basic History

Rewards/Consequences
None

Notes
I've noticed this in all your threads so far and though I might as well just add a note on this last thread in this long string of them! Ayatah is at basic Common, meaning that she would most likely speak with less ease or with a small vocabulary (especially of colloquialisms and idioms). In an earlier thread, you wrote that Ayatah had managed to speak in the Zeltivan accent, which is something difficult for even someone who is fluent in a language to adopt the proper accent. Please keep this in mind. Also, while Ayatah is very skilled with her double bladed daggers, that skill does not extended into the realm of acrobatics which is the main factor in dodging. Please keep this in mind as well!
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Previous