Completed The Things We Lose

(Black) Ricky decides to take Martin out for a stroll since the weather in the city is cool.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Things We Lose

Postby Ricky Maze on October 27th, 2014, 6:02 am

The search Ricky had gone on proved to be futile as he found no trace of the possible location for the drop toy, at this point he suspected another person to have picked it up and went off with it elsewhere. Likely giving it to another child that may or may not have been in need of a new toy, either way he felt sure that there was no chance of finding it around here. That is until Black managed to call out his name and in turn show that she'd in fact discovered the location of the lost toy, which brought a major sigh of relief from the father his lips curved into a slight smile then.

Ricky went on over to Black and in turn accepted the lost toy, presented it to Martin as the boy took it with a dull expression at first. However the discovery that his toy had returned to him made the child grin a little, as Ricky chuckled a bit before looking back down to Black with a humble smile on his face. "So it sunk int' de fountain t'en? Oi dun t'ink Oi'da found it t'ere t' be honest, Oi t'ink Oi remember Martin played wit' de water a lil' t'ough. Dat would explain why de boat got in t'ere in de first place." He reasoned as he bounced the child up and down in his arms, an appreciative look directed to Black in turn as she definitely proved to save the day. "Oi really can't t'ank ye enough lass, believe it or not ye did me a real big favor t'day." He added as he dipped a hand in his pocket and pulled a spare amount of Mizas, it was practically ten which was the usual amount he carried around. Still he thought it a fitting reward given that she tended to look like she was scraping by, granted she attempted to steal it from him the other night.

Whether she would accept the reward or not was up to her, either way Ricky would either hand it over or pocket it based upon her choice. It was then he would decide to go ahead and settle things between the two of them, and in turn hopefully make up for how he'd reacted the other night. "Y'know... Oi've been an ass 'bout dis, mostly because Oi've not really known o' a way t' make up fer it." His expression became a bit sullen then as the guilt was plain on his face. "Oi'm actually really sorry 'bout how de ot'er night turned out, ye caught me off guard an' got de worst o' it in turn. An' while ye may t'ink good or ill o' me at times, Oi want ye t' know Oi personally t'ink ye a good soul." He admitted a bit bashfully, his eyes diverted elsewhere in the process. "Granted Oi don't approve o' yer choice in lifestyle, but Oi honestly t'ink ye could turn it around. Jadlin seems t' love ya an' if he can see de good in ya, t'en Oi'm more dan willin' t' give our chance fer friendship a second shot."

In a sense he extended an olive branch out to her, as a means to create a peaceful understanding really. While he in fact felt odd about the approach, he also felt better knowing he chose a better timing, given that it was just the two of them and she definitely helped him out.

Quest Completed! :
You've successfully returned the toy back into Ricky! You're reward is as displayed above, and you have the choice of accepting the Miza's or not. Based on your decision you could earn +10 Miza from the quest as well as a boosted friendship, or if you wish to dramatically improve the friendship then Black can decline the reward and earn an extra set of friendship points from it! :)

Completely your choice, either way enjoy the reward! All that remains is a bit of a bonding experience and then the thread can conclude.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Things We Lose

Postby Black Onyx on October 28th, 2014, 11:12 pm

A small smile curved her lips as the child seemed to grin at the fact that his little toy boat had been returned to him. The moment that Ricky turned a humble smile her way, she grew uncomfortable and shifted upon the spot where she sat upon the lip of the Fountain. Her brown gaze also noted the people that turned to glare at her, considering that she still had her legs dangling into the water, but it was easy to shrug off. Silently she listened to Ricky’s words before she decided that she wouldn’t waste her time while having her feet dangling in the water. She pushed the cloak away from her left side, slowly sliding her arm out of the makeshift sling and winced with the pain of moving the arm itself. She settled the arm into her lap before Ricky mentioned that he couldn’t thank her enough. A sigh of frustration settled upon her lips, she didn’t want to be thanked, not by anyone. In fact it annoyed her when people thanked her, because then she would begin to feel like she was obligated to help more often. So a shake of her head was given, her gaze turning to Rick and her lips parted to say something.

That was, until he pulled out Mizas from his pocket and held it out to her. As tempting as it was to just simply reach out and snag those Mizas that she desperately needed, she reigned in the urge and bit down upon her bottom lip, turning her gaze away. ”I don’t want your Mizas, nor do I want your thanks.” Her right hand lifted and began to unravel the black rag that she had torn from her cloak, away from her left forearm, wincing every so often. The pain was excruciating, it always was and something she even wondered as to how she was even still standing or wasn’t passed out in some random alley way. More often than not, she wondered as to how she had even survive or why they had left her alive when they had very well shown her that they could easily over power her with strength alone. Then they had some kind of reimancer on their side, which had placed the burn upon her arm after the leader had carved the ‘x’ into her arm using her own dagger. Ever since that night, she had been more jumpy, jumping at shadows sometimes because she never knew what was coming around the corner after her.

Black bit down upon her bottom lip as Ricky continued speaking and she finished unraveling the rag from her arm, revealing the blackened skin of the ‘x.’ She glanced up at the male, her gaze slowly drifting over his form for a moment and she pressed her lips tightly together, thinking over her words before she spoke. ”The reason that that night happened the way it did, was because I’m not a good person. I know that.” She turned her gaze away from Ricky and placed the rag into her lap before she dipped her right hand into the water of the Fountain to cup some of it into her palm. Gently she drew this over her wound, hissing in the process. She took a moment to wrestle with the pain before speaking again. ”Jadlin and I… We only spoke because I originally stole from him and he tracked me down. Much like how you did. Honestly, I don’t know what he sees in me, I’m the opposite from normal, the opposite from good.” She scoffed as she dipped the rag into the water, swirling it around a bit. ”I don’t want your thanks, because then I will feel obligated to do good things and that… That’s just not me. In fact, I don’t have friends because of who I am. Well, minus Jadlin of course. The thing is, I know what I am, there is no use denying it.”

Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Black Onyx
Sometimes, our scars define us

Words: 175802
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Ricky Maze on October 29th, 2014, 9:11 am

He gave her an odd look considering that she seemed to brush off his means of thanks rather then accept, but seeing as they still had a bit of a history to think about between them he could probably understand why, and granted she did seem pretty divergence in face to face conversation he felt it all the more likely so. Either way he simply pocketed the money and decided to go ahead and take a seat next to Black, hopeful that his apologetic speech might actually lead to a bit of ease between the two of them. He couldn't help but watch her as she'd taken off the rag to show where her injury was, a slight grimace given as he couldn't believe that she'd actually suffered from such a wound. Of course after he thought about how far he'd gone the other night, then sure enough somebody else in the same shoves might've just went the whole nine yards, in Black's case they gave her something to remember when it came to picking her marks.

"Not true!" He protested when she remarked about her not being good, of course he had to hear the rest of it before he could give her a full reasoning behind the argument. When she explained herself to Ricky he certainly had a baffled expression directed at her, disapproval on his face as it became clear he didn't think so now that he heard what she had to say. "I call bull shyke lass. Deep down ye know yer a good person, an' yer just afraid o' lettin' t'ose ye care 'bout down." He pointed out as that's what he gathered from her explanation. "Ye may t'ink i best ye don't git any t'anks, or dat yew don't deserve de happiness yer gettin' from Jad... but dat's far from de truth." Now he became more engaged with the reasoning as he went on, a bit of enthusiasm in his voice as he tried to prove a point to Black. "Yew ain't de only one who ain't normal and yew ain't as bad as yew t'ink ya 're, sure ye 've had a few bad run-in's 'ere an' dere but believe me; Oi know deep down ye got a good 'eart. An' Oim'a gonna tell ya why too."

He wagered she was probably not as likely excited to hear it as he wanted to share it, but all the same he was determined to make her see reason through every means of perspective he had to offer. "First, ye met me younger brot'er. De both o' ya came t' love one anot'er, an' in turn ye've made him one o' de happiest people 'ere in Zeltiva. T' do dat is a gift Black, a gift ye two share! Ye may t'ink ye don't deserve 'im but Oi say yer wrong, if ye're de one whose makin' 'im happy t'en ye certainly deserve 'im! An' Martin, t'day yew 'elped 'im out by findin' his favorite toy! Just look at 'im, practically smilin' again!" He looked down at Martin as the boy used both hands to play with the toy, a small smile on his face as he held it up in the air with a look to Black. "If 'elpin' a child find somet'in precious t'ey lost isn't a sign o' goodness, t'en Oi sure as petch dunno what is. But believe me, yew 're definitely a good soul brought up in a rough environment. All yew need is a support system t' keep ya up, so dat when times 're tough ye got somet'in t' count on."

"Let us be dat system Black," He pointed out boldly, "Ye don't 'ave t' constantly rely on me nor Jadlin, but at least let us shoulder yer burdens some an' we'll be dere fer ya. Me, Oi can understand if dat's a lil' hard t' do... but Jad, he's somebody yew love. Don't keep secrets from 'im, don't hide de fact ye need 'im t' rely on. Dat's de only way ye can make a better livin' dan de current way yer doin' so now." He finished with hopes that his lesson might've sunk in, Martin waved the toy around a little more with an "Aaaah!" to throw in along with it. "See? Martin's agreein' wit' his Pa." He joked with a chuckle to follow, of course the sudden notion the child had brought a much better laugh, given Martin decided he wanted to throw the toy back into the fountain to see if it'd float more.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Black Onyx on October 30th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Black silently listened to Ricky’s lecture before her brown hues lifted to view the child as he threw his toy back into the fountain. A gentle smile curved her lips at this before she shook her head, well, at least I’m still in the fountain to get it back. His words went through her mind as she lifted the rag from the water and began to slowly wrap it back around her fore arm, wincing at this. She gritted her teeth against the pain and continued wrapping the wound back up. The cool water that pressed against the wound, sent stabbing pains up her arm and her nostrils flared as she held back cries of pain. Finally, she would then begin to tie it off and she had to use her teeth in order to help in this endeavour. Afterwards, she had to close her eyes as she slowly swayed upon her seated position so then the world wouldn’t spin so much, her right hand grasping the lip of the fountain to steady her. Breathe… Just breathe… She told herself as she drew in long, slow, even breaths, before slowly exhaling. Once she was sure that she wasn’t going to pass out, she pressed her lips together before she looked to Ricky.

Her gaze slowly slid over the man’s form, before they rested upon the child within his arms. ”He is one little treasure, he reminds me of times long gone.” She turned her gaze away from them, focusing upon the little boat that was floating once more within the fountain. ”I can’t lean on you two, especially Jadlin…” A sigh settled upon her lips as she slowly edged her left arm back into its makeshift sling and she relaxed as the pain began to slowly ebb to a deep throb instead of a stabbing. ”I can’t tell Jadlin because I didn’t get this burn from just simply stealing a purse. I got it from someone who is a thug on East Street, who just happens to also know a reimancer.” She bit down upon her bottom lip, her hues still fixed upon the boat. It gently floated over the water, although the ripples that the fountain made, made the little wooden boat rock upon the surface. The kelvic peered into the water as the coins on the bottom reflected the sunlight and made spots of colours shimmer along the surface of the water. Black could see why one would visit this place, it was beautiful.

Slowly, her right hand came up to gently tug through her black locks as she looked back at Ricky, she figured that she owed him a reason as to why she couldn’t lean on Jadlin. ”The burn was a warning to stay out of the thug’s business. I had only received it because Jadlin decided to wander down East Street and I had been following him at the time to make sure that… To make sure that he would be ok.” Another sigh fell upon her lips as she watched the water fall into the fountain. ”He ran into trouble and I backed him up. Funny thing is, he somehow landed in court for it anyway without me knowing about it. He was cleared and the thugs weren’t too happy about it, so I got a warning.” Her hand fell back into her lap, ”I’m not going to tell him that his search for his family got me hurt. You’re probably the best thing that has happened to him and I’m not going to shadow that with the memory of my own pain in the process.” The young equine glanced sideways at the boy held in Ricky’s arms, ”He can finally get to know those that are actually related to him and that’s precious. I want him to have, what I can’t have. Family.”

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Ricky Maze on November 2nd, 2014, 7:15 pm

Even after the vast amount of indifference that caused a space between the two of them, Ricky somehow still managed to feel overly concerned about Black when she addressed her shoulder wound. Her manner of toughing it out when she splashed a bit of the cold fountain water onto it, a wince to follow as she had to take a moment to remember that breathing generally helped. Finally when she seemed able to relax again she addressed Martin, complimenting the child and how well he reminded her of the past. "Yea me too, Oi t'ink its because he's so innocent ye know. At dat age we all looked at de world innocently." He smiled as he looked down at the child in a humble manner, a gentle hold around the precious child as the father snuggled him for a moment. Then Black decided to mention the fact she couldn't rely on neither Ricky nor even her own lover Jadlin, and of course Ricky couldn't help but look at her with a bit of surprise. He wanted to know as to why exactly that was the case, but luckily enough she was willing to provide such explanation, without the further need for Ricky to prod it from her.

It was for a matter of protection then. She didn't want Jadlin to know the reason as to how she got injured, mainly because she wanted to keep him safe from this... Reimancer. This man that gave her the scar as well as the burn mark that was found upon her arm, a man that had to be put to some form of justice by any means possible. Somehow Ricky felt like he needed to capture this man, bring him in for questioning as well as hopefully lock him away for good. The asylum sounded like a resolute place, although admittedly someplace farther away from Zeltiva suited Ricky's opinion more. Of course that wasn't in his power to see through really, but granted he served as part of the Wave Guard he definitely needed to put a stop to the crimes this Reimancer committed. "Well so can yew Black." He argued reasonably as his brows furrowed in determination. "Jad's considered ye t' be a very special person, and t' distance yer self from 'im is only gonna do more harm later on. Oi'd rat'er ye allow yer self t' be supported by 'im at least, an' in turn ye can look t' better means o' a lifestyle dan t'ievin round." He remarked with a sincere look to his eyes.

"Trust me t' take care o' dis Reimancer, Oi may just look like a Wave Guard, but Oi've got a bit more tricks up me sleeve dan just weapon trainin'. Yew saw one de ot'er night, t' me great regret, but de ot'er can withstand Reimancy altoget'er." He leaned over sideways just a little bit so he could pull the boat closer towards them, so Martin could continue to watch as the toy floated about with a smile on his face. "Family is what's most important t' me, an' Jadlin considers ye as such already. Honestly Oi can't help but feel de same 'bout him, family 'as always been somet'in Oi've always wanted. A home, a place t' belong. If he feels dat way about ya, den Oi'm inclined t' t'ink de same. Oi believe t'ings can git better fer ya if ye work 'ard enough fer it, an' if ye let me help yew out den Oi can protect ya from dis Reimancer, as well as any other bastards dat intend t' t'reaten ya." He promised as he hoped it would encourage Black to open up and trust him more, granted she already trusted Jadlin he wanted to make sure she knew, that if she were capable of trusting his younger brother then surely she could trust him.

"Trust me Black, ye'll be better off learnin' dat yer family is de best support system ye got. If ye go it alone ye ain't gonna last much longer, s'why Oi t'ink if yew stick wit' us ye'll find yer self livin' more comfortably. And," He gently ruffled the small traces of hair found on Martin's head affectionately, "Ye'll find yer self a better role model fer de ones who look up t' ya." He finished with a slight grin on his face, hopeful that his argued case might actually have persuaded her at the end.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Black Onyx on November 9th, 2014, 12:58 pm

A simple scoff fell upon her lips as she listened to the male and she slowly turned upon the spot, sliding her legs up and out of the Fountain before settling her bare, dripping wet feet upon the cobblestone street. She honestly didn’t think that she could really have a family of her own, except NiNi, who had basically adopted her. She gritted her teeth as she silently listened to the man talk and occasionally she would shake her head. A better lifestyle was something that Black couldn’t do. She lacked the education needed for one, if she had education, didn’t he think that she would have done something else? Something that didn’t involve stealing mizas from people? Something where she wouldn’t have to deal with thugs and deal with the constant threats upon her life? Her right hand lifted to gently rub at her left fore-arm which sent small stabbing pains up her arm and her nostrils flared. Slowly, she forced oxygen back into her lungs and dropped her right hand back into her lap. Black had been more than aware of what she lacked and ever since that day upon the docks as a little girl, she was constantly being reminded of what she would always lack in.

Although, she was thankful that at least she could do the one job she was good at. NiNi had even told her that her name must have meant that she was supposed to become a thief and she had agreed for the most part. It had almost seemed kind of fate like that her adoptive father had stumbled across her upon the docks as she wept. She hadn’t questioned her own profession, until now. The Wave Guard was forcing her to make her think about her choices, about the life that she had carved out for herself. It was a life for only a lone person, this she knew for there were just too many things that could happen to a thief, death being one of them. The equine had thought about it and the night that Ricky had threatened her with his strange magic of reimancy, she had been forced to think of what would happen to Jadlin and his feelings if he ever lost her. She leaned forwards and pressed her right elbow into her leg which bent to present her palm so then she could press her chin into it.

What would happen to Jadlin? How would his feeling be hurt if she ever died or if he ever found out that she had been hurt in any kind of way? A sigh graced her lips at this thought and her brown hues were drawn to the cracks in the cobblestone of the street. She realized that Ricky had fallen silent and she straightened out her form, turning her gaze to view the man with the child. ”I cannot promise that I will ever stop thieving Ricky, because I won’t. It’s my livelihood, it’s how I have survived for this long. Without stealing the purses of the unlucky, I would have perished a long time ago and probably fed the fish of the sea.” She pressed her lips together as she said this, for it reminded her of the many times that sailors had told her this. ”Besides… She turned her gaze away from the man to view the crowd, ”I cannot read nor write, I don’t have the education that many others have had the pleasure of having.” It was a little hard for Black to even admit that, for what idiot didn’t know how to read or write?

Word Count603

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Ricky Maze on November 10th, 2014, 4:06 am

At her conclusion to answer with the fact she'll never stop her illicit activities there was a drop in Ricky's expression, to be honest he felt a bit angered that she wouldn't see to reason about it, though he had to keep his head in check as he knew she had her reasons. For instance she probably could see to reason but just didn't have enough belief or trust, at least not enough to give up the only sort of means of survival she still had. When he heard her say that she indeed could not read or write, it then became all the more clear as to why she chose to go the other route instead. Black hadn't had the luxury to read nor write as she grew and that in turn effected her own natural lifestyle, as she no doubt couldn't understand the context of written language as its passed on from hand to parchment. At the moment of learning this Ricky rolled his tongue back for a moment in thought, a perplexed look in his expression as he changed his position to where Martin sat on only his left knee now.

If she can learn den she still has a chance, she just needs a means t' hope an' in turn gain a lil' bit o' confidence. He looked down at his right hand then as the mark he had glowed on the back, the swirl of the vortex still chilled him to the core as he remembered that he'd in fact been marked by a Goddess. Yet Priskil had given him a task, and somehow he felt that this was able to be used in helping Black feel a bit more encouraged about the idea. Who knows, maybe it'd encourage her to do other things or be more a part of something, really though Ricky just felt that this might help her find something to help her feel different compared to how she must feel now. He could see it in her face even now, a sense of shame in her eyes even when she'd gazed on into the crowd to avoid direct eye contact with him.

"Then why not?" He questioned as he brought his hand over between her and Martin, the palm faced upwards as he looked down to the surface with a soft smile. "Oi mean sure livin' a life as a t'ief is all yew know, but why not try an' learn more. Why not dare t' try an' learn t' read an' write, its not as difficult as some would deem it so." There was a short swirl of the air above his palm as a ball of light flashed to life in its place, its outer gleam shone in a mild glow that somehow seemed to have a sense of hope about it, he believed that with this present it would help chase away all those negative feelings she might've in that particular moment. "Oi believe in yew, Jadlin believes in yew as well. Sure it may seem tough, but wouldn't ye rat'er make an' effort fer somet'in better? Goddess knows dat's what Oi've always tried t' do, an' while Oi 'ave me own struggles at times, Oi know Oi've got dis lil' guy an' me lovin' wife t' help me in de long run." His smile became all the more sincere as he gave a definitive appreciative look down to his son, as the child had become entranced by the sudden appearance of the light before him.

"While Oi may not know what t' expect, Oi know so long as Oi 'ave me wife an' me son, de future will always remain bright fer me." He looked back up to Black then. "T'ey're me light o' hope Black, an' yew 'ave one o' yer own as well. Let him 'elp yew, let him give ye de hope fer a tomorrow." He had said it with a bit of a pleading tone, though he more or less hoped it served as a suggestion for her. He believed without a doubt that she could see reason then, and that the options that existed before her were more than just possible. He wanted to convince her that she was capable of doing better, of being better even when she might've thought otherwise.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Black Onyx on November 11th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Ricky’s question had caught her off guard and it brought her brown gaze back around to view the man seated beside her. She silently watched him stretch out his palm between the two of them, cautious that he might actually try something, something similar to what he did the other night. She pressed her lips tightly together then, weariness colouring her brown hues before they flickered up to view Ricky’s facial features. What was he planning on doing? She silently questioned. Was he going to attempt to kill her this time? Would he really do that in front of his son? Honestly, she didn’t know what Ricky would do, for he seemed to shift from one side to the other and the equine just couldn’t quite pin him down. Couldn’t get a fixed observational reading on the man, especially when she thought that she had him pinned, when in fact she didn’t. In silence she listened to his words, her gaze falling to view the human child within his arms. Learn to read and write? Did Jadlin’s brother have a screw lose? She quietly asked herself while attempting to keep listening to him, the urge to just simply tune out strong within.

Her gaze dropped again to view the sudden ball of light that seemed to have just appeared above the man’s palm. What… Is that? The question popped up inside of her mind as a frown creased her facial features for a moment. She continued to stare into the ball of light, almost spellbound by it while Ricky continued to talk. How does Ricky know that Jadlin even believes in me? The young equine asked as she drew in a slow even breath before a realization dawned on her once again. Jadlin spoke about her and he had seen Ricky the day before he had gotten injured, injured by some thugs and thieves. As she exhaled, she drew in another long, slow even breath as she continued to stare at the ball of light, Ricky’s words slowly sinking in to her mind. Something better? Could she even do something better? Could she be something better? Was it even possible for someone such as her? A small glimmer of hope began to rise within her, kind of like a small ball of warmth suddenly radiating from within her chest and sending this small hope throughout her form. The frown began to smooth from her pale features only to be replaced by a thoughtful look.

The moment that Ricky mention Jadlin, an awe of wonder crossed her features then. Yes, Jadlin had always been her small ray of light, even when it was the most darkest for her. She could remember when she had first met him, when she had sat upon the side of the street with him and talked. It was an easy conversation, something that she hadn’t been able to do with anyone else. He had led her through the rain and drew them away when he had seen the wave guards. Her bondmate had literally showed her that he could smile and still enjoy life even though he had such a rough and horrible start to life. Slowly she angled her head slightly to the right, could Jadlin really give her the hope that Ricky suggested he could? Was it possible for a thief that was constantly cloaked in shadows, to bear a small hope for her future? She lifted her right hand to let it hover above the ball of light, and she twitched her pale fingers almost as if she was attempting to make the light thread through her fingers, to weave it through them. Even as she had asked that question, she felt a small seed of hope take hold within her, for yes, it must be possible. The nightmares that kept her awake when she was alone, had no power when she was pressed close to... "Jadlin..." She softly whispered while her gaze remained transfixed upon the light that flickered over her fingers.

Word Count670

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Ricky Maze on November 12th, 2014, 6:30 am

Ricky did notice in fact that she looked a bit nervous at the extension of his hand, but after his action had been clarified with the appearance of his Gnosis' power, the look of anxiety that was within her expression died down as there looked to be a trace of contemplation growing. He wasn't sure if his gift had actually started working or in turn helped bring a better sense of ease to her mind, but he was willing to take a shot and bet that his words finally started to sink in then. Black had found herself in a sort of trance then and even when he paid more attention to that fact, he couldn't help but notice Martin had in turn taken a large amount of interest in it as well. The child had practically tried to attempt the same thing Black herself had done, as he reached forward in an attempt to try and touch the light that remained above his palm.

Ricky then noticed there were several other people as well, though they weren't involved in the conversation that didn't mean they didn't stare, and seeing as how he'd just blatantly created a ball of light in the middle of the area, it couldn't be any more painfully obvious as to why he received sudden stares from the locals that were here. Still that didn't matter to him, what mattered now as the fact this moment counted the most. This was a sincere and honest moment, one that definitely had an effect on the person he wanted to help most. While she might not have understood as to why that is, that wasn't necessarily what made it matter to Ricky. It mattered because he believed she could find it in her to see reason, to understand and in turn believe in herself like he found himself able to believe. Why? Because she was Jadlin's lover and that in turn mattered to Ricky, for what good was a couple when one kept secrets, how long could it last without the proper form of love and dedication. All this came from communication and the ability to trust each other, leaning on one another in our darkest times. That was hope for Ricky, and where there was hope, there was a will to live.

Not survive. Live. That in itself was important, and that's what he wanted to keep alive. With this gift he'd been given he could make it so, though he still couldn't comprehend why he of all people had been graced with it. Priskil. Maybe dis is how Oi'm suppose t' start. While the light remained in place with its particles highlighting the edges of her fingers, the light itself slowly started to embrace them as the outer radiance seemed to flicker and slowly dance about for just a moment. After about a chime or two the light finally died out on its own, and left the two to return to the reality of the world they'd escaped in that short span of time Luminance had shone in a glimmer before them. "T'ink on it Black. If Jadlin has reason t' believe in yew, den so do Oi. Ot'erwise Oi wouldn't have stuck 'round 'ere, Oi would've simply thanked ye and left as soon as dis toy came back in me possessions. Ye 'ave people dat care and believe in ye, ye jus need t' let yer self do t' same. Believe ye can an' in turn find it in yer self t' love who ye 're, an' if yew can't den change what ye don't like until ye're happy." He finished with a gentle smile as he placed the toy boat in his bag, a look down to his son as he gave a pleased sigh down at the child.

"Ye 'ave us t' count on, always remember dat." He reassured her even if she might've still felt differently. "If ye ever need anyt'in, don't be afraid t' ask. Oi'll always be 'ere t' help ya." He added before he gave a friendly nod down to the woman after he rose to a stand on his feet, with the bag over his shoulder once more and Martin tired in his arm, he gave a wave to the woman who sat on the fountain before he went off. He decided now was definitely a good time to get back home so he and the boy could have their nap time before midday finally it, and it would help serve as a chance to allow Black to think about and maybe even contemplate all she had heard today. With one final glance over his shoulder he gave a hearty grin once more, and then continued onward towards the direction of the Old Quarter to return to their residence.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Things We Lose

Postby Black Onyx on November 12th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Black’s brown hues remained fixed upon the ball of light as the fingers of her right hand lingered above it. The light flickered over her pale skin, creating shadows that would occasionally dance over her fingers. The young equine couldn’t be too sure, but she did feel as if Ricky’s words were somehow true, that maybe she could live a better life than a thief. Maybe… Just maybe she didn’t need to rely upon the shadows that she cloaked herself in. Maybe, just maybe Jadlin was all that she needed to improve upon the life that she had. The ball of light surely reminded her of someone like him, always smiling even though he could be thinking and worried about something else. A gentle smile curved her lips at this and it was at this point that she decided that maybe, just maybe, that she might actually be able to do what Ricky said that she could do. Maybe she could learn to read and write, that way she could get a better job with a better income. Could she even dare to hope to also have a family of her own one day? That maybe it wasn’t as impossible as she had originally thought that it was.

Maybe Jadlin could be her ball of hope, it was possible that he could be, after all she did just admit that the ball of light reminded her of him. Slowly though, the ball of light began to ebb and fade away before it was nothing more. Her right hand moved to press back into her lap, a disappointed sigh falling upon her lips. Well, she couldn’t exactly be sitting around doing nothing, she did have to do things, but she had just hoped that it would last for a while. For it had distracted her from her ever present thoughts, the ones that told her to be careful and to watch where she stepped, as danger could be lurking around every corner. However, she frowned upon the man’s words for a moment as he had said that she just needed to believe in herself, to learn to love herself and she pressed her lips together tightly. She had despised herself because she thought that maybe she was a curse upon the people that she cared for the most, but so far, the damage had been restricted to herself. Although Jadlin had had a freak accident on his way to see Ricky, something that she hoped didn’t happen too often.

He gave her a nod after he moved to stand up and she managed another smile, also giving a nod of her own to let him know that she understood. ”Uh, thanks Ricky, hopefully the rest of your day goes much more smoother.” She called after him before she simply watched the man disappear into the crowd. He was certainly an interesting man, but she just wasn’t sure whether she could see any family resemblance between Jadlin and Ricky. Slowly the young equine slipped her left arm out of its makeshift sling, so then she could wrestle her boots back onto her feet that had slowly dried off during the talk with Ricky. She had to bite down upon her bottom lip to hold back a small cry of pain, seeing as the burn upon her left forearm was still sending stabbing pains through her form. Once the boots were successfully back upon her feet and her left arm cradled in her sling once more, she moved to stand up, her gaze staring in the direction that she had seen Ricky disappear. For once, things were beginning to look up for the larcenist and she felt that maybe, just maybe more paths would become available to her.

Word Count625

Image Image Image
Black Onyx

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes