[Flashback] A hunting trip [Solo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Nehsmay on October 13th, 2010, 3:11 pm

60 of Spring, 510 AV

“Nehsmay are you sure you want to do this?”
her mother asked worryingly “You’ll be on your own… Shade…” she stopped suddenly when her daughter flashed her an angry look. “You know it’s true, Shade isn’t around here anymore.”

“I have to do this mother…” Nehsmay cut her off “I’m leaving in autumn and I have to be able to stand my ground should a crisis arrive on the way. I mustn’t rely on others to protect me forever.” Her eyes clouded with tears, but she wiped them off angrily. “Shade made his decision thinking he’d protect me. So be it… however he also told me that if I wanted to go to the wilderness I should wait till I grew older. It’s time now… I won’t be there long. Just a day or two in order to practice my archery and my riding. My colt needs to get accustomed to me…”

“Very well, dear. Go and may Morwen protect you.” Her mother said softly and allowed her daughter to leave.

Nehsmay went to the stables where she found her colt Shade. She grasped his reins and led him outside. She mounted and nudged him forward, leading him into the wild. A wave of memories hit her harshly, but she brushed them aside and tried her best to ignore them. She headed towards her spot and tried to dismount… however her foot got caught in the saddle and she fell to the ground with a loud THUD.

“Ouch…” she cried rubbing her behind and her horse snorted in an amused way. “Hey, no making fun of you master silly colt.” Said colt threw her another amused look and she blushed rectifying “Right, mistress…” She grasped her shortbow and pulled it forward than picked up and arrow from her quiver and chose a tree as a target.

“Ok, time to practice…” she said unleashing the arrow.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Words: 75952
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Somewhere in Ghed'ahre... stalking Te'ijal and Galahad
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Nehsmay on October 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm

The colt neighed amused as he watched Nehsmay miss her target more a few times. In the end she finally managed to hit a spot perfectly so she whooped and did a victory sign.

“See you silly colt! I can do this! Take that tree!” she said as she unleashed another arrow that hit its target. From then she missed some, she hit some, but in the end she was one happy Vantha.

Nehsmay put her backpack on the ground and withdrew her tent, set it up and lit up a small fire to keep the predators away. She ate the food her mother had packed her and gazes softly at her colt.

“Your namesake is far away from here Shade…” she said sadly “You never got the chance to know him, he left just before I got you. He was a Kelvic… a snow leopard…” Nehsmay trailed off and went quiet. There was no need to dwell on such thoughts; she slid inside the tent, sat down on her bedroll and wrapped herself tightly in a warm, fur blanket then fell asleep.

Outside Shade neighed in warning as a blurry shade prowled around their camp, despite the warm fire cracking next to the tent. However, the colt did not notice any malicious intent coming from the shadow so he quietly kept watch over his mistress.

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Character sheet

Postby Nehsmay on October 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm

61 of Spring, 510 AV

Nehsmay woke up at the crack of dawn; she yawned and stretched, then left her tent. She was determined to brush up her riding skills; she quickly wrapped up her camp and tied all her belongings to Shade’s reins. She then mounted and led her horse around, firstly making him trot. Seeing the colt obey her effortlessly, she led him to a slow canter than to a gallop. Shade wasn’t very keen to gallop so he stopped dead in his tracks neighing.

“Come on, silly colt, come on, Shade…” she nudged him and finally managed to lead the colt into a gallop. “Good boy, Shade, good boy.”

They continued galloping across the land and returned to the place where their camp was just as the sun reached its highest place in the sky. Nehsmay was beginning to dismount; just then she saw a small and furry animal hiding in the woods. She tiptoed closer to it, grasping her bow powerfully and placing an arrow in its place; the small animal wriggled its whiskers, but paid no heed to the young Vantha.

Nehsmay came closer and unleashed the arrow… luckily this time in reached its target and the girl whooped revealing a small rabbit, perfect for her mother’s stew. She picked the animal up and put it in a bag, tying it to the saddle.

“I did it…” she said quietly and looked around hoping to see a gray leopard prowling around, grinning with pride at her or a tall, silver haired man ruffling her hair and congratulating her. “I finally managed it, Shade. Did you think I could do it when you saved me from becoming a wolf’s dinner all those years ago? I caught my first game.” She sighed and sat on a rock, tears clouding her eyes. A howl echoed in the distance and she cried out fiercely. “You didn’t protect me, you idiot, you crippled me. I keep hoping to see you somewhere around here telling me about this or that. I pray to Morwen that I’ll get to see you one more time before you fade away, because if I won’t I’ll go to the afterlife and beat the hell out of you!” She started sobbing and rocking back and forth. In the woods a shadow slumped its shoulders and whined pathetically; however the coal, sensing his mistress’ distress approached her and nibbled softly on her hair.

“Hey!” she stopped crying and glanced at the horse with tears in her eyes. “What do you think you’re doing? I don’t want horse droll in my hair!” She smiled at the horse’s attempt to cheer her up. “Go away silly colt.”

Shade neighed and turned his back on her, motioning with his head that she should ride him.

“We have to go home, don’t we?” Nehsmay sighed “Come on, Shade,” she said mounting “mom’s waiting.”

The End

Banners made by Nidae
Nehsmay
Storyteller Traveler

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 13th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Character: Nehsmay
Experience: Riding +1, Archery +1, Horsemanship +2, Hunting +1
Lore: Moving on from painful experiences

Additional Note:Very cute post. Please keep in mind that as a Snowsong (which I recall you are, correct me if I am wrong) you really do not hunt or focus too much on animals. Snowsong focus in music. If you want to hunt and be close to animals you should consider switching to Frostfawn. I'm not saying you cannot have a horse in another hold but your posts seem a little Frostfawnish to me. I would suggest reading the Avanthal wiki or looking at the location post for Snowsong to know what your hold does. If you want to switch you still can, I'll let you. I just want to keep everything in order hold wise. As always, PM me with any concerns.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)