Closed The Longest Road That Never Was

Ravokians set their first steps on the road to the island of sinister magics and walking deadmen.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

The Longest Road That Never Was

Postby Ink on November 12th, 2014, 4:04 pm

52nd of Fall, 514 AV

He was a Warden in all but rank. With all the Wardens currently alive and well on Sahova there was no room for the initiate to move up into a full rank. While he waited for the unfortunate demise of one guardian, Darin had chosen an off-island assignment. It was a rare chance that had been highly contested among the Wardens. They never liked to do what the undead masters said, but some opportunities put pride in the closet. He might be the first Warden to ever survive to leave the island, of course he would be heading back soon.

He wore painstakingly oiled leather armor, and smelled like horse and travel. It wasn’t that he was dirty just that his life had let to a certain cologna that the refined ladies of Ravok might find offensive. The Warden’s Initiate had elected to wait a few yards away from the Lakeshore Outpost. During his assignment the Ravokian’s dislike of outsiders had been hinted at, and he had no desire to leave either horse with potential enemies. In lieu of fetching the boy himself Darin had hired a page to retrieve this Verin Rush.

Behind him the horses picked at the meager mid-Autumn sprouts. One stood grand, brazen flash of white against the early morning shadows of the forest. This mare was no beast of burden, her legs slender and sculpted, for those few versed in breeds she was a Frostmarch. Next to her a lazy elder Gilding mare grazed. Both had full sets of tack and even some survival gear in their saddle bags. If Darin had intended to wait he would have taken proper care of the animals, was it was they had only just been saddle a few hours prior. One charge delivered to Ravok, time to pick up a few more.

Darin had only been given one name on his list to return with, Verin Rush. There had been an implication though, that more might follow the young man. If so Darin was prepared to purchase further supplies at this southern trading post. It may be better to send one of the natives in though if Ravokians so detested foreigners. The rugged human shrugged and waited, sitting on a stump, no doubt due for pulling.

The entire need to maintain a wealthy facade somewhat disturbed the wilderness man, but it seemed to matter to the few Ravokians he saw prancing about. If Mr. Rush was one such individual he would be in for a rude awakening…

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Verin Rush on November 14th, 2014, 4:33 pm

The journey across the waters of Lake Ravok was one of the longest Verin had experienced. Having not been on the waters, save for the occasional ravosala, in a long while, his motion sickness was affecting him far more than it ordinarily might, despite the relatively calm waters. The Page boy that had been sent to fetch him kept throwing him surreptitious glances, hiding his smile as he did so. A sea-sick Ravokian was almost as bad as a sea-sick Svefra – an embarrassment. Yet the shoreline had come into sight, and was growing clearer and bigger with each passing chime.

The Black Sun hopeful ignored the boy, instead he busied himself with aimlessly checking through his pack of essentials, most of which had been paid for from the Black Sun’s coffers. He had been told that some things, such as a horse, would be provided for him by his Sahovan guide, so it was only the personal essentials, or anything for Redd, that he needed to purchase himself.

The red-headed slave in question sat beside him in silence. He had still not been able to get into contact with Ender of Miro, thus has received no compensation for his troubles with regard to the Mage’s slave. IT had not taken him long to come to the decision that the kelvic would accompany him to Sahova; he would keep the girl safe and within his sights until he could be reimbursed the 625 golden mizas that the slave had cost him so far. If he left her in Ravok, he would never get the money back.

The ferry began to pull up to the docks and Verin, though he desperately wanted to be the first off and on to dry land, waited patiently for others to dismount. The Monster problem had still not been solved and there was a very limited amount of ferries traversing the lake. As such, each journey would generally be packed with people, and this vessel was no exception. Eventually, Verin managed to step onto dry land behind the page boy, his slave close in tow. And the trio approached the guide.

The page ran on, but Verin slowed, placing his bags on the ground and running a hand along Redd’s arm, an attempt to slow her pace too and garner her attention. "
The collar will not be removed until I can be assured of my assets," the ‘assets’ being Redd. Though she would be a burden in human form, and he needed her to hunt for game, he would not risk releasing the clasp on the collar until he could be assured that either she was loyal enough to him, or they were too far into the wilderness that she would not risk running.

"
Assuming there is not a third horse for you, you will share mine for the present time," he was glad that she was slight, "and when I can trust you again, you will be rewarded with that which you desire." Releasing his hold on her hand, he reached down to pick up his packs again, leaving Redd with some of the weight, and, as he reached the waiting man, extended a hand of greeting to the guide.
Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Redd on November 14th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Redd had been seated beside Verin, silent as always as her single hazel hue stared out of the boat and into the water. A sight that she much preferred rather than look at the humans crowded in and around each other. The young wolf didn’t understand as to why they packed themselves in like fish, they just made themselves out to be a tasty treat for the beast underneath the water. A meal the would last a couple of days or so, she thought to herself as she stared down at her reflection within the water. She still wore bandages around the right side of her face and it was a constant reminder of her weakness, of how a human could over-power her. It was a reminder that would make her strive to become the greatest killer known to man, to make her be feared by them. For while she was a slave now, she would break free of her binds one day. She just had to be cunning about it. A hand lifted to slide along the cold hard collar that had been secured around her neck before her hand dropped back into her lap. It was an accessory that she wanted to leave behind, but her wants were not the wants of Verin. In hindsight, she was beginning to think that she should have attacked the man when he had taken the other one off before he had replaced it with this one.

The simple trip provided by the ferry was long and Redd was beginning to get restless, for she wanted to be out in the wilderness again. However, the only problem was was that she had a feeling that Verin wasn’t going to take the collar off, especially not after she had stolen the key to the last collar. Once the ferry had reached the shore, the blonde man had waited for everyone to get off and Redd waited beside him keeping her silence. It was a silence that she had sworn herself to, for after their last discussion which had ended in her being collared again anyway, she realized that there was no point in trying to tell the man of things from her point of view. He was human and she, a simple beast. She had even remained silent as they got off the boat and began to walk through the Southern Trading Post. Although Verin slowed and reached out a hand to run along her arm before grasping her hand, her head quickly snapped around so then her hazel hue could look at the hand holding her own. Slowly her gaze drifted upwards to view the pale blue eyes of the man while he began to talk; specifically about the collar. She hadn’t expected it to be removed, in fact, she knew that he wouldn’t, considering that he had found out that she had already gone against his will once.

It was then that he mentioned riding and the corner of her lips twitched, but not in a growl, it was more of an almost smile. She knew from experience that beasts such as horses didn’t like her for she was a wolf and no matter the form, her scent never changed. However, the moment that he mentioned trust, her lips turned downwards and she turned her head away from him. Redd knew that she would never gain the trust of anyone, for no one trusted her and so the weight of the collar around her neck pressed down upon her, it suddenly felt heavier than it normally did. Finally, he released his hold upon her hand and she quickly pulled it back to her form, edging away from the man slightly as he only picked up a few of his bags. She was tempted to simply leave the ones that he had left, behind, but she needed the pain of her ribs to bring her back from the sudden downfall in her emotions. So, she reached down and picked up what was left behind by Verin and she reluctantly followed behind, feeling her newly healed ribs protest at these movements being made.

Finally she came to a stop behind the blonde man and turned her gaze away from the two, used to being the one in the background, unimportant to really be address. She was invisible to the eye, even if she did stand there and so she glanced out along the land, away from the human dwellings. She lifted her nose then as she drew in a long breath, taking in the surrounding scents. She recognized Verin’s and the scent of horses, but the guide’s scent she did not know and so, she added it to her mental list of scents to remember. She paused for a moment as she waited to feel the wind gently pick up again, drawing in another breath. No other animal scents were present and a sigh feel upon her lips as she angled her head slightly so then her left eye could look along the land, keeping an eye out for any predatory animals that could be a problem. She honestly didn’t expect to see any, but at least it kept her occupied while the humans did whatever it was that they did. Redd didn't really know why they needed to carry so many things while travelling, or why they even needed them at all. Humans, they just complicate things, she silently thought to herself while she halfheartedly listened to the conversation being had between Verin and the guide.

Word Count924
Last edited by Redd on November 17th, 2014, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Ink on November 15th, 2014, 5:19 pm

“Verin Rush, I assume?” At this distance a strange feature became evident on the woodman’s face, silver lines like tattoos but more refined curled down the side of his face from his eyes. Nonchalant eyes glanced between the two members of the party. Taking a few steps back he motioned to the frostmarch. “She will be yours for the trip.” A few long strides but the Initiate’s back to Ravok and facing the pair. “But…” He trailed off, his gaze lingering on Redd’s coller. At the expenditure of djed, the travel-dusty man’s face elongated and pulled out into a snout. Not at all a wolf’s muzzle but a hound dogs. One snuffle, two and then he nodded. The canine features retreating and leaving the perfectly normal human face behind. “The white mare won’t have the wolf on her back. Maybe if she had been a doe or house cat, but it takes a special horse to carry a predator.”

It had been several days since there had been a need to shift into anything fierce and violent. The man who smelled like horse and travel, had secret scents hidden from the wolf’s nose. “She can ride mine, if you want her on two legs. The gilding is trained for it.” The gruff young man stepped forward to open the faintly shimmering horse’s saddle packs, rearranging things for this new rider and shortening the stirrups.

“Now, Mister Rush. My name is Darin and I will be guiding you to Sahova. My assignment includes getting you, both, ready for the social climate on the island. Don’t want you to make fools of yourselves, this mission being for diplomacy.” He shrugged, the man was no bureaucrat but one didn’t survive with the Undead without a healthy understanding of hierarchy and law.

“Before any of that, do you have questions? Have you got a full compliment of rations? It’ll be near on thirty days before we see city again, and the Nykans don’t much care for outsiders any more than Ravokians.” As he spoke the Warden’s Initiate began removing his hardened leather boots, if the woman was on his horse he would need to keep up.

This close to Ravok, the woods and road seemed inviting. A little glance of Autumn sun, the cobbles lined up all perfect and manicured. Darin had just came from that direction and knew exactly the moment when it all turned from civilized facade into the true depths of the wild lands. There would be rutted paths if he intended to follow the routes most trade caravans used, but he knew of a way both shorter and less friendly. “We’ve got a boat to catch, once you’re ready we need to move. Any questions that don’t require we be in Ravok can be answered while we’re underway.”

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Verin Rush on November 16th, 2014, 5:28 pm

The young blond's lips twitched; he had been led here by the page boy, he had not thought it necessary to formally introduce himself, but he nodded all the same when the guide spoke to confirm his identity, he made no efforts to introduce Redd, the slave girl who wasn't even really his slave. It occurred to Verin that he didn't even have papers to confirm her status, only the half sun tattoo gave away her place. But, heading to Sahova, he supposed that it would not even truly matter.

The man walked him over to the mount that would become his for the journey and Verin smiled, raising a hand to greet the beast, allowing it to smell him and then stroking the nose gently. “
Hello,” he spoke softly knowing that it would not understand his words but was likely to respond to the tone of his voice at least. After a moment's hesitation, he turned back to face Darin, leaving his hand to rub the mare's nose, “in my life I have not had much opportunity to leave Ravok. I am sure you can understand that horses are not... viable in the Lake-City. I am not a competent rider.

It had occurred to Verin many times that it would be best for him to remain silent on the matter, but then reason told him that he was in danger if making more of a fool of himself if he were to say nothing. It was inevitable that he would do something wrong on the mare's back. More importantly, however, his guide needed to be aware of this inexperience on the chance that they were to encounter a predator. Verin was unlikely to have the skills to stay atop the horse should he be required to flee.

When Verin's guide turned his attention to the kelvic, and Verin shared his own opinions on the matter, “
would it were that I had the option to allow her to shift. I have not had her long and I have since discovered that her training, if any, has been most ineffectual. She has a history of living in these wilds and if I were to remove the collar, I have no assurance that she will remain with me, or return with me if she goes hunting.” It was slightly embarrassing to admit to the Sahovan guide that his arcane ability was not up to scratch, but he continued, “I am not entirely sure that my Suggestions have taken hold yet, and I am not willing to risk it this close to where she once called home.

If Darin had a suggestion, or could assist, Verin would be all ears, but he was willing to have the girl seated on any mount until he had a quiet moment to continue his personal training of her. At the next series of questions, Verin shook his head or nodded as appropriate. No, he didn't have a full compliment of rations, as he was hoping to rely on Redd's hunting for the later part of the journey to supply some meet, but that was a bridge he would cross later. He meandered over to the mare and heaved himself up ungracefully and settling into the saddle. “
I have many questions, but most relate to the island of Sahova, so I am sure that they will be answered in due course.
Last edited by Verin Rush on November 17th, 2014, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Redd on November 16th, 2014, 9:00 pm

While Redd was only half paying attention to the conversation, that didn’t mean that she wouldn’t fully tune in to listen to it. Especially when the man that was supposed to be the guide mentioned the horses. The young wolf couldn’t help the slow smirk that fell into place upon her lips when he mentioned that the white mare wouldn’t carry a wolf. Oh Redd knew all about how much horses disliked her because of her predatory form. However, her single eye turned around to view the guide when he mentioned that she would be riding the horse that kind of reminded her of a gold miza, well, its coat did anyway. Never had she actually ridden a horse, for obvious reasons. One, because she was a wolf, she could carry her own form on four legs no troubles and two, because the beasts did not like her and she only saw them as food. Tasty, tasty food. While she hadn’t exactly tasted horse flesh just yet, but she had wondered if it tasted much like deer seeing as they kind of looked similar in some ways. However, that thought didn’t eliminate the problem that she would have to be riding the damn horse and she sent a glare towards Verin. They wouldn’t have this problem if he would just let her shift, she silently groused to herself.

Then, the word Nykan came up and she nearly froze in her tracks. So lets get this straight, the young wolf had to ride a horse and go back to the place that she had been chased out of, to get to a boat? Whatever the petch that was. However, she was simply stuck on the thought that this whole trip was literally going to test her patience with the man known as Verin and she ran her tongue over her slightly elongated fangs. She could just… Rip out his throat in his sleep and steal the key to her collar before running off back to the wilderness. Where she would probably die considering that surviving the winter alone was harsh and could easily get a lone wolf killed. She lifted her single eye to wearily eye the sky, almost as if in thought. No, she wouldn’t kill him. This she knew, because she owed him. She owed him her life really and whether he realized it or not, it kept her right where she was, even if it did mean having to go back to Nyka while riding a god damn horse.

Verin continued talking and a soft, ”Tch” escaped her lips when he mentioned the place she once called home. Again, if only the man knew that the local pack wolves had basically chased her out of their lands and she rolled her single eye, before her single gaze followed the man’s movements. It was going to be problematic for she didn’t even know how to get onto a horse properly, she barely had a grasp on the simple basics of civilization and even that knowledge was questionable at best. Silently, she watched Verin heave himself up onto the white horse and she lightly bit down upon her bottom lip as she turned her gaze to the horse that she was supposed to ride. How on earth did someone even controlled the horse while on their back? She crossed over to the Gilding and stood there for a moment, her gaze trying to work out this odd looking gear upon the horse’s back. Instead of just standing there, she placed the packs into the saddle bags, before she returned to standing there staring at the horse, trying to work out as to how she should get on. Never had she thought that she would actually have to know as to what it was. It fact, when it came to horses, she never thought that she would have to know anything about them, except how to kill them.

Word Count657
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes