Closed [Fighter's Pit]Hand-to-Hands Combat (Sayana)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Fighter's Pit]Hand-to-Hands Combat (Sayana)

Postby Garland on November 14th, 2014, 5:41 am

Garland dropped his guard before she had run in, but it didn't do much since one of the first self-taught lessons he learned was that NEVER run in on your opponent, it would be better to let your opponent come to you, if you're fast enough, or if the enemy was slow enough, you would enough time to react and counter attack. As she started running, Garland raised his fists back and blocked her attacks easily. It was only through self-control that he didn't counter her sloppy blows.

"Uhh... We can do better. Right, I think I know where to start." He said, standing beside Sayana. "First, remember to keep your feet apart, keeping them too close together will make it much easier to trip you up." He said, positioning his legs slightly apart. "Alright, since you have three sets of arms, I guess you can use the one you are most comfortable with... Right, Raise your fists up right near the jaw, to make sure you can still see, and have enough time to block if your opponent decides to attack your pretty face."

He gave a few fast jabs and a hook. "Those are the most basic punches and one of the most used ones in bar brawls. All of them could be easily deflected, but first you've got to learn how to do them first." He said, extending his arm in front of him. "A jab is a fast punch that usually goes for weak areas to damage you, like the face or throat. You won't have a lot of time to react, but usually you said you wanted to protect yourself from drunks that get a bit to grabby... So it wouldn't really matter." He said, throwing a hook right after his small explanation.

"Not a hook is slower, but can do a lot of damage, these are usually aimed at the said of the head to stun you if they hit. These can be easily avoided, but if you are fighting someone slightly more sober, they might go for the body and knock the wind out of you to follow up with an punch to the face." He said, looking at Sayana to make sure she was listening. "If you feel confident, you can try and counter it with a punch of your own."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sayana on November 15th, 2014, 3:49 am

“How was that?”

“Uhh... We can do better”

“Oh…” Sayana responded a bit sullenly. But when he started talking about posture and more specific details her mood perked up again. Glancing at the way he stood with his feet shoulder-width apart, or just a little more, she tried to mimic him. In her stance she had one foot slightly ahead of the other so that she might be prepared to spring forwards if necessary. At the mention of her arms, she dropped her high arms completely to her sides so that it was very clear that she intended to use her mid hands mostly. These she raised up to her face and formed clenched fists. It was a bit odd to not be considering her other hands but maybe it was just as well that she focused only on her punches with her mids – at least to start. Better than get distracted by trying to do too many things at once. With that in mind, she folded her two other rights together and her two lefts so that she wouldn’t start flailing with her other arms if she found herself desperate.

She watched as the squire threw several punches into the air in front of him. To be honest, it looked kind of silly punching the air, but she kept that to herself. You got to start somewhere.

“A jab is a fast punch that usually goes for weak areas to damage you, like the face or throat.”

With a serious expression on her face she tried to picture someone’s face, or better yet their nose, as she made several punches at the air. They were reasonably quick but there was no aim whatsoever in the ‘jabs’. She also didn’t extend her hands very far with the punches and tended to keep her fists nice and close to her own jaw. She finished with a slow and exaggerated punch, more a gesture of victory than an attempted jab.

“Now a hook is slower, but can do a lot of damage, these are usually aimed at the side of the head to stun you if they hit.”

Sayana pursed her lips in thought. The squire had made the punch look so quick and easy. Experimentally she slowly moved her right fist in a pretend punch and curved it outwards and then back in to hit an imagined ‘side of someone’s head’. She gave it a second try, but this time focused only on curving inwards at the last moment rather than out and then in. Finally it dawned on her that the entire punch was probably one big curve and she tried it slowly for a third time.

“But how do I counter a punch?” Sayana asked in all honesty. “Like with a block or a duck? And how do I block or deflect something?” She’d probably have some sort of natural instinct towards blocking punches had they been raining down on her, but all the talking was making her over think things.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Garland on November 15th, 2014, 5:37 am

Garland looked at Sayana, seeting that she was trying to learn the basic punches. "Good, try to practice if you have time. Who knows, maybe when you get better, you could use all your arms to fight."

He smiled at her with a small flash of his teeth, he looked around the area, seeing a training dummy, it wasn't your regular wooden one, but one covered in a soft foam like material. It would be good to practice punches with that if they have the time.

“But how do I counter a punch? Like with a block or a duck? And how do I block or deflect something?”

Garland thought for a moment, trying to find a way to explain it to her. "Well, firstly, you should play defensive in a fight, get to know your opponent. Try to get away, back up, just outside his reach. See how they react to you. Do they attack fast or slow? Strong or weak? These can be factors in either blocking or dodging." He said, looking at Sayana, seeing if she understood what he was trying to explain.

"Everyone in the world has some sort of instinct for blocking or dodging. One could be more dominant than the other. Like if a person gets into a fight, their dominant instinct for defense kicks in. They either try to avoid the punches or try to block the attacks." He said, ducking down low and then raising his guard up. "If whoever you're fighting is fast, blocking would be good, blocking is a lot faster than dodging, but doesn't leave much opportunity if your opponent can recover quickly."

He leaned back as if someone tried to give his a strong hook to the face, but dodged it. He then leaned in and gave a strong punch in the air. "And a slow moving target, usually big guys, are strong but slow. Dodging and fighting back would be a good tactic. I'll show you how to counter an attack later, if that's alright."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on November 15th, 2014, 1:19 pm

“So -uh- block if the punches are fast and dodge if they are slow,” Sayana tried to summarize. It was a lot of information to take in and her mind was starting to wander. Besides, she wanted to actually do something rather than talk about it all day long. She pointed to the training dummy that Garland had glanced at earlier. “Is that for practicing punching?” The Eypharian asked as she strode over to the dummy. She touched it with her hand and could feel that it was quite well padded.

Sayana gave the dummy a slow experimental punch to the chest. Seeing that she wasn’t about to hurt her hands, she gave a few faster ones alternating between her mid hands. Each produced a soft thud upon the dummy. Then she remembered that jabs were intended for weak parts of the body. She tried to give her punches more speed and this time aimed for the dummy’s head. Thud thud thud -miss- thud -miss-. It was trickier aiming for the head and clearly she needed some practice.

She took a break and turned to the squire expectantly seeking feedback on how she was doing. She quickly widened her stance and then did a hook at the dummy’s head and threw her whole body into the movement. Although she hit the side of the dummy’s head quite soundly, she still had a lot of momentum and she stumbled awkwardly to regain her balance. “Hm, that didn’t work as well as I thought,” she said to herself.

“What if I managed to catch my opponent’s hands with say my highs, and then punch him again and again in the face with my mids?” She asked wondering what he thought of the tactic.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 16th, 2014, 8:31 am

Garland followed her to the punching dummy. He nodded to himself, thinking that the best way to teach her would be just to let her practice and discover for herself. He stood to the side while she practiced with the dummy.

As she started punching, he noticed that she wasn't entirely accurate with her strikes, missing in a fight is normal, but missing while training with a stationary target is somewhat strange. "Try to aim your shots better, the more you miss, the faster it is for you to make a mistake and get tired."

He circled around her, trying to examine everything she was doing, analyzing her speed and skill. She was inexperience, but he knew she was flexible and that could help quite a bit for her.

When she swung a strong hook against the dummy one last time, if she was fighting a real opponent, this would have either knocked the poor bloke out of she would have missed and gotten a face full of knee.

“What if I managed to catch my opponent’s hands with say my highs, and then punch him again and again in the face with my mids?”

"Well, it could work on weaker opponents, but a stronger fighter would mean you would have a harder time holding him off. Also, fists aren't the only weapons. A lot of people of thick skulls and a pair of legs. Remember that." He gave a small wink, and looked around, maybe there would be someone weak enough for Sayana to spar with, though he doubted it, but you never know.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on November 16th, 2014, 2:18 pm

“Skulls?” Sayana questioned with a grimace as she unconsciously reached out a hand to touch her own forehead. “I don’t like the sound of that. But I see, it’s not just hands and fits at play.” She shook out her hands, especially her mids, and gave a contented sign. She wasn’t used to doing all that punching. She slowly approached Garland, lest he think she was up to something, and placed her high arms on his shoulders as she leaned in for a kiss.

“It’s been fun and I think I’ve learned a bunch too. Thank you.” She said appreciatively and then dropped her hands. “Too bad I’m not that good to spar with. But I still want to learn to block and duck.” She added with a wink. She had seen him looking around. Was he bored? Or was he looking for someone more her level? She took a glance around the fighting pits herself and her eyes narrowed at the sight of a familiar tall figured man. Man, Eypharian, whatever he liked to think of himself as.

She wanted to shoot nasty words in his direction but instead she turned to the dummy and gave it a solid blow to the “stomach”. She followed it with a several fast jabs. This time she was a little more accurate, particularly with her left, and got the dummy’s “nose” and “mouth” several times. She kept her other arms discretely at her sides and then performed a nice arching hook with her left. She didn’t use all her momentum this time but still followed through to give it some impact yet not cause her to stumble.

She gave a sharp exhale and felt rather accomplished. “I think I’m done for the day,” she stated and her face slowly softened from its earlier hard expression. “Plus I should get my coat. It’s not the warmest in here, if you even call this a building.”

OOC :
I couldn't help but mention Aventis since both characters happened to be at the same place on the same day. Thread
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on November 17th, 2014, 4:46 am

Garland looked at where Sayana was looking, he didn't notice much, except for a four armed Eypharian, he seemed rather busy so he didn't want to disturb him. Did Sayana know this man? If so, what was their connection? Possible love interest maybe? Garland shook the thought out of his head and looked back to Sayana that... was beating the shyke out of the training dummy.

He looked back to the Eypharian man, and then back to Sayana, there must be some connection. If he ever gets a chance he might inquire about that later with the Eypharian man. Wasn't he a squire? He might introduce himself later if given the chance, though it seems that both of them are busy at the moment. Well, it might be good to avoid the four armed man while Sayana is here. There seems to be a lot of tension for between Sayana and the man.

I think I’m done for the day, Plus I should get my coat. It’s not the warmest in here, if you even call this a building.”

"Agreed, we need to keep warm. I hope I wasn't too bad of a teacher." He said, blushing a tad bit. This was his first time teaching someone anything, well maybe reading to that one squire, Imellion, but other than that, nothing else. He gave a small sigh and took his armor from the side.

It was always a bother trying to put it on, but the pass season had pretty much made him get use to the tedious armor.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on November 18th, 2014, 3:07 am

Sayana put on her gloves and rubbed her hands together glad of the warm. Then she gave a soft playful punch to Garland’s shoulder. “Quite a decent teacher, I should say.” She affirmed with a smile. She then put on her coat and couldn’t help but rub her cheek against the fur trim around the collar. “We’ll have to do this again sometime, and maybe I’ll get a chance to practice blocking. That is if you’re not a wuss about hitting a girl. I remember how you were with Saede in that sparring contest way back.” Sayana said with a wink. “But if you like your girls pretty then I can understand why you wouldn’t want to give them a black eye.”

Laughter played across the Eypharian’s lips and she made sure she had all her belongings to head out. “Till we meet again, Ser Squire,” she said with a wave and began to head out. She was anxious to get going and not just because of seeing that tall Eypharian squire. Quite honestly, she wasn’t that good at paying attention to long lessons, even fun ones taught by a friend and where you get to try to punch out someone’s face. But she had definitely enjoyed it and was glad that she had asked. Now it was time to get a couple things done before her evening performance at the Stallion.

OOCIt's a little short but it's simply wrapping things up. Feel free to post a conclusion for Garland too if you want. If not, then PM me so that I can put up a grading request.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Balian Martell on December 4th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Garland :
Skills:
  • Teaching: +4
  • Observation: +3
  • Unarmed Combat: + 2
  • Socializing: +2
  • Endurance: +1
  • Flirting: +1

Lores:
  • Sayana: Learning to fight off drunkards
  • Sayana: Opponent with six arms
  • Sayana:Fast and light on her feat
  • Fighting Pits: Nearly empty on cold days

Shield Points: +1 for Training

I gave you a shield point for training because even though you were teaching some one else, teaching something you know is a form of learning(in this case Training)

Sayana :
Skills:
  • Unarmed Combat: +4
  • Observation: +3
  • Socializing: +2
  • Endurance: +1
  • Flirting: +1

Lores:
  • Fighting Style: Quick and fast
  • Fighting is just like dancing
  • Jab: Fast punch
  • Hook: Slower but strong
  • Block past punches, Dodge slow ones
  • Garland: Decent Teacher

Notes :
I enjoyed this thread! nice to see the interaction between two friends, also It was well written and consistent with its purpose.

Enjoy the XP!

If you've got concerns, just shoot me a pm.
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal