The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Trista]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Hatot on June 25th, 2010, 7:35 am

Hatot looked to Trista, remaining silent for a moment. He then just gave a slow shake of his head. “I don’t spend much time in the city overall.” Hatot finally replied, giving a broad gaze of the area. “I mainly come here to teach younger Akalaks and visit my father from time to time. Otherwise, I’m normally camped in the outskirts of town.”

Hatot then began moving on to their next destination, falling silent once again. His head then turned slightly so Trista could hear him better as he spoke. “I’m generally not well received here sometimes.” Hatot then said, explaining further to sate Trista’s possible curiosity. “I don’t wish to go into the exact reasons why, but suffice to say, I sometimes have issues with control. You needn’t worry yourself though. Now is not one of those times.”

Hatot then walked them past a small shop, motioning towards it as an Akalak butcher repeatedly brought a large cleaver down over a piece of meat at the shop’s opening. “Valereig’s Butcher Shop.” Hatot answered as he gave the Akalak butcher a friendly nod. “The prime cuts from many of the meats are normally sold here. As well, he sells very good preserved rations if you are planning a long trip.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on June 28th, 2010, 1:49 am

Trista had no idea what a proper response would be to the personal information Hatot had just given her, so she simply nodded somberly. All Akalak, from the little she knew of their people, had a certain duality to them -- perhaps his was unusually strong. At any rate, he'd already said he didn't want to discuss it, and so Trista certainly wasn't going to ask any questions.

There was a certain curiosity that she directed at the butcher shop. The whole concept of a butcher seemed so...quaint? Even when an Akvatari caught something larger, like a tuna or a mackerel, they just ate it one bite at a time. Cutting meat up was for people who didn't have good teeth, she thought, a bit smugly.

But all she said was, "Interesting. It does seem as if everything one would want is here in Riverfall."
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hatot on June 28th, 2010, 2:26 am

Hatot gave a sort of tilting nod of his head as he continued the tour, as if to partially agree with Trista. “It’s true, many of life’s necessities can be found here,” Hatot replied, looking around the city for a moment, “but as to what someone wants, that’s an entirely different thing all together. Otherwise, we’d likely not have any room to spare in Riverfall.”

Hatot stopped near the end of the second tier, motioning outwardly as he first pointed out towards buildings built and fixed into the side of a cliff, a small path leading from the buildings up into the Second tier. “These are the Kuahala Estates. For those who aren’t looking for a permanent home in Riverfall, these apartments are normally a choice of lodgings for their stay. Their rooms are said to be very nice and offer the best scenic view in Riverfall.” Hatot explained, slipping his hands to the railing as he leaned along it for a moment. “I hear traders often use them when they come in to sell their wears in the Bazaar.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on September 18th, 2010, 6:31 pm

It was an interesting distinction that Hatot made, and one that Trista could sympathize with. After all, as an Akvatari, she was capable of finding life's necessities nearly anywhere, but that didn't mean that it would feel like home.

She noted the Estates carefully. She could sleep in the open if she so chose -- and beds designed for humans or the like were of little use to her -- but it was sometimes nice to have a space in which to work. If the view was excellent, well, that was another added bonus.

She didn't have any other questions for the moment, so she simply waited for Hatot to continue however he chose.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on September 24th, 2010, 1:29 am

Hatot then gave a nod when Trista posed no questions for him to answer. He motioned for her to follow him as he moved towards the railing that allowed an overlook of the waterfall. Standing there, he then pointed towards the waterfall, almost past it as the edge soon showed through the other side of the cascading waters. “There you will find small boats which can take you to an area untouched by, mostly, by those who built Riverfall.” Hatot said before looking back to Trista. “Of course, you would likely fly there considering you’re able to, but following the first narrow stream first, it will then widen into a small lake. On the other side rests Knirin Gardens. It’s serenity has been left relatively untouched by those in Riverfall, save for a few stone benches at certain locations.”

Hatot then looked to the water fall for a short moment, falling silent. “People find various uses for the garden itself. Some use it for meditative rest, others use it as inspiration for art, while others there just simply like to spend time with another there.” Hatot explained. “Whatever your reason for visiting, I do suggest at least one visit. It is quite a calming place to be. Though, as I said, it is relatively untouched. Therefore there will be some dangers of wildlife and such that come with any wild nature setting. So enjoy it if you go, but be weary of what’s around you as well.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on October 3rd, 2010, 9:21 pm

Trista didn't need the railing but she put her hands on it anyway as she followed Hatot's gaze across the waterfall. "Knirin Gardens." She let the unfamiliar name linger on her tongue.

"I likely will do so before leaving. It sounds like the sort of place in which I would be interested." Meditation, art, quiet rest -- these were all things that were more than a little appealing to the Akvatari.

She sensed that the tour was nearing its end, and touched the Akalak on the arm. "I wanted to...to thank you for giving me a tour. It's very kind of you. Is there anything that I can do for you?" She caught herself right at the end of asking this, given that she was a woman, and despite her somewhat exotic nature, there was something she could certainly do that they were always angling for. But she tried to look positive; it seemed that Hatot was an understanding sort, and would likely know exactly what she was or wasn't offering.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on October 5th, 2010, 2:19 am

Hatot slowly gazed down at Trista’s hand touching him for a moment. Her questions lingered in his ear for a moment as he contemplated in silence the meaning behind her tone. In the end, his gaze traveled back down towards the beach and buildings that made up the third tier of Riverfall. “No, guiding you along and giving you a little information is a small task really, nothing that would deem any sort of exchange of services or the like.” Hatot explained before giving a slow nod of his head down towards the third tier of Riverfall. “There are a couple of things to be found down there, but mainly the third tier of the city is made up of the port, where people enter through the shipboard passage.”

Hatot then stood up, his arms resting firmly along the railing, supporting him in a slight forward lean. “There is also the Labor Aid office if you were intending on staying long enough to look for work, find a mentor or put up some offers for services yourself.” Hatot explained looking back to Trista. “And there is also the Tavern, but I don’t take you for the type to imbibe too much, if at all.”

Hatot then slowly pointed to the beach, motioning it towards a small road that ran along the cliff face. “If you follow that road there from the beach, however, you’ll find a place that may interest you.” Hatot then suggested. “It’s called Sanctuary. It’s a place used for stabling the horses of travelers as well as offers medical aid to wounded animals and Kelvics. While such may not be exactly what you look for, the individual who runs it, one named Kavala, you might find to be pleasant company. I feel you and her have similar demeanors.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on October 17th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Trista looked down at the busy port below. It was interesting to her from an artistic perspective, but she knew that the odds of finding someone there who would be of real interest to her weren't in her favor. People rushing from one place to another rarely had time for someone whose life was based on stopping, looking, and thinking.

"No, I don't drink much," Trista agreed quietly. "And, since I don't really need money, and don't have an interest in taking on commissions that don't interest me, I usually just do a painting or sing a song for someone who I've met who seems like they'd want one." It was interesting, being able to meet her few physical needs without recourse to other people, because it left her much more free to do what she wanted than most were. Whoever had created the Akvatari had at least given them the gift of leisure time.

She nodded at the mention of the Sanctuary. "Thanks. I'll remember that. And," she added, "whether you think it a big deal or not, thanks for showing me around. I've been a lot of places, and the people willing to take time for a stranger deserve thanks."
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on October 17th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Hatot slowly turned to Trista, giving a short bow of his head. “You are welcome,” Hatot replied slowly straitening himself once again. “I just try to do my part for my people and home.”

Hatot then let a moment of silence pass before looking back towards the way back up to the first tier of the city. “I should likely get back to my students now, however. They will likely be finishing their run soon.” Hatot then explained. “However, if you find yourself in need of me for something, further questions, advice or curiosity that needs satiating, I can typically be found somewhere on the outskirts of the city, or teaching within the Tuvya Sasaran.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on October 17th, 2010, 10:28 pm

"Your people and home are fortunate to have you," Trista said. Her voice was oddly sincere; it wasn't just a formality, she meant it.

"And if I should need or be interested in anything else, I'll let you know, certainly," she finished. "Take care."

For a long time after Hatot departed, she remained there, hovering quietly and looking down over the city. She said nothing, and only the beating of her wings and her keen eyes served to show that she hadn't fallen asleep altogether.

OOC: Thanks for the thread!
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous