Closed Archery and Avora

Another Azira and Drusilla thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Archery and Avora

Postby Drusilla on November 29th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Azira was quiet for some time, and as much as the silence bothered Drusilla she kept quiet. She could only wonder what was going through the teen's head exactly but she could guess. She fired a arrow something to make some noise in the deadening silence. She was start to regret mentioning anything of marriage. She had tried so hard to rid herself of her race's expectations, and yet a wedding was something she just couldn't let go of. Being a bride. A foreign dream she couldn't shake. Urg.. and she had asked the teen to attend... What a fool she must of seemed to be. The teen's words sickened her rather than comfort the fact that the silence was gone. Was she trying to say? It didn't matter.

The subject was changed, thank goodness! "Mhm, they run the government and their military and as we have our massive eagles they have Myri's giant tigers. If a woman sees a single man she likes, he's hers. If he's no good in bed or she finds some flaw with him she can toss him out. I wonder if the men fight for favoritism?" Drusilla happily mused. "Just think seeing a man and taking possession of him. He'd do anything to keep from being rejected... Be kinda fun to have men fight over you, don't you think?" The Endals did pretty much the same thing in a way. But, Drusilla nor Azira were on the privileged end of that..

"Yup, Symenestra were driven here and underground. First the Myrians drove us from our village in the trees, then from our above ground home here in Kalia to Kalinor. But that was hundreds of years ago. However, before we went underground... We were different, we could have our own children without death. We weren't monsters then. The darkness of that cave... It did this to us. Had the world's end never come our races could of been friends, trading and teaching with one another." It was a thought Drusilla held onto, they could of been friends and the amazing art that could of been was lost even in Drusilla's mind.

"We always found that funny too." Drusilla smiled at the nostalgia and then at Azira, "Sure if you don't mind giving up your own time to practice."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Archery and Avora

Postby Azira on November 29th, 2014, 11:56 pm

The Myrians certainly sounded like a strange race. She'd never really looked into them too much in the past. It had never occurred to her to ask Turrin anything about his Myrian heritage. He'd grown up among them, at least in part so it would have been a perfect opportunity to learn about an outside culture, something that normally would have interested her. The only thing that had concerned her during that first encounter had been some sort of cannibalistic connection and the idea that the Endal might eat her. She'd gotten over that fairly quickly and had never looked back. The fact that Turrin was Myrian had never crossed her mind after that. Although now that she reconsidered the cannibal side she remembered some strange stories from during the riots. Stories about eating people's hearts or something. That was probably something best left in the dark. If there was even the slightest chance that it might be true then she didn't want to know about it. Better to think about this newly revealed aspect of the culture of savages rather than that.

The women ran things. Women ran things in Wind Reach as well but there was more of a mixture of both sexes. It wasn't solely women that looked after things. The fact that they could just pick and choose men reminded her of the way Endal and Avora could choose partners from amongst the Chiet and Dek. They even had the option to discard them if they didn't like them or got bored of them. Maybe not as alien as she'd first deemed them, especially considering they even had giant mounts, tigers instead of eagles but she doubted that many cultures had such a thing in common. It was strange. Maybe that had something to do with why Turrin's parents had ended up together.

Azira couldn't agree with Drusilla about men fighting over her though. She never wanted them to fight over her like she was some object to be won. The huntress would prefer to forego the attention altogether and just be allowed to get on with things. If Myrian women had to put up with that then she didn't envy them.

It was strange to think that the Symenestra had been different before they'd settled in Kalinor. She didn't know what could have been in those caves to cause such a change but she wondered what the spiders had been like before that. Had they still been venomous? Had they needed to eat the way they did? Had their skeletons been as brittle as they were now? There was no way of getting an answer. She doubted that Drusilla would know much about it as it was all distant history. What they had been wasn't what they were now so what did it matter? If she asked it would only be out of some morbid curiosity, digging up a race that had died when it had gone to live in Kalinor.

"Hold the bow ready but don't raise it or draw the string back." Once the seamstress was in position Azira used her hands to make gentle adjustments to the woman's posture. If she resisted then the huntress obviously wasn't going to be able to do anything about it. A hand pressed to the other's back in an effort to a straighten it, an adjustment to the shoulders, a nudge to change her footing. "When you raise the bow you have to be pulling the string back at the same time. I can't even do that so don't feel bad if you can't. Pull it back as far as your cheek, think that'll suit you best. You aim for just a tick or two and then release," she explained. It seemed like enough for her to take in for now. She'd correct her more when she made more mistakes and Azira predicted more mistakes happening, they had to.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Archery and Avora

Postby Drusilla on December 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Drusilla took up stance and waited for Azira's instructions. She was getting used to people readjusting her, although Azira was gentler than she remembered... Maybe her memory was going, or maybe she had been too nervous with her to remember. "Okay raise the bow and pull the string... One motion. Okay." She began to raise the bow and pull the string, soon finding doing both in sync was like Azira said, challenging. She would raise the bow she found and then pull the string back some, stopping one for the other back and forth. Drusilla grimaced knowing how bad it must of looked.

Pulling the string back to her cheek was easy enough her arms being as abnormally long as they were made it extremely easy. She took aim and like Azira had done exhaled and the arrow flew. It stuck closer to the center but still to the right. "I seem to lean right. Should I aim a bit farther left and then shoot?" This over to the right problem had been plaguing her and she had no honest idea how to fix it. She gave a sigh, "I botched up the whole lift and pull thing too... I'm painfully aware of how bad it must of looked. Sorry I messed up!" Drusilla gave a genuine smile with her apology.

Azira reminded her of someone, or rather how she believed someone had turned out. Her little sister, petch what was her name again? One of the twins born from an Inarta surrogate... The twins.... Her brother's name sounded like the human name David she remembered.. Devad- yes those two syllables were right.. Devad. Devaddel, yes that was it.. Something and Devaddel.. Sen and Devaddel.. She twisted her face, the name was right there. "Senella. Senella and Devaddel. That's right..." Senella was like Azira or so Drusilla had thought. But in all truth.. Where Azira had built walls around her heart, Senella simply lacked one. Like her mother. Where as Azira could change and open up... Senella couldn't.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Archery and Avora

Postby Azira on December 11th, 2014, 9:35 pm

The Symenestra complied immediately and allowed Azira to make the necessary adjustments to her posture without complaint. Once her shifts were made the seamstress was free to try what the huntress had told her. The bow was raised and the string pulled back although the movements of both was done in a stutter stop motion as Drusilla struggled to do both in sync. She couldn't blame her for grimacing and she knew that it would take plenty of time before she was able to draw the bow smoothly. Azira was getting there herself but her drawing was far from perfect, it was markedly better than the other's though.

When the drawing was completed, the spider held the arrow in place for a few ticks before she released it. The huntress was surprised once more by how close to the centre it came but Drusilla was right, she did keep hitting it to the right although Azira had an idea why that might be happening. "Drawing perfectly takes time and plenty of practice but you'll get there in the end. I said it was difficult, didn't I?" the Avora told her with a knowing smile. Without picking up her own bow, she got into a shooting stance and drew an imaginary bowstring.

"You throw off your aim a bit each time because you don't complete the draw. When you release the arrow, you keep the movement going like this," she let go of an imaginary arrow and continued to pull her arm back, rolling her shoulder before allowing it to drop, "or else you move your arm down too early and change the arrow's course a little. You affect it pretty much the same way if you get into that habit so you have to relax your fingers but bring your arm back like you're still drawing the string back further, roll your shoulder and then you can drop your arm. Try it."

She stepped away from her student to give her space to take another shot when she started spouting words that Azira didn't understand. Senella and Devaddel? Was that something in Drusilla's own language? It certainly wasn't Nari and she had no idea what else it could be. She shot the other woman a questioning look, wondering what it was that Drusilla was going on about. Was she commenting on the archery?

"What does...San-Sanal- what you just said mean?" she asked finally, stammering over the foreign words.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Archery and Avora

Postby Drusilla on December 12th, 2014, 1:34 am

Drusilla gave an embarrassed smile, "It's much harder than it looks! You and the other hunters make it look so easy! You have got some serious arm strength going on. But you still have a very feminine frame." Looking at Azira you would never guess the strength she hid under her female frame. It made Drusilla very happy that Azira hadn't hit her last winter. While she wasn't afraid of getting hit today, she still wanted to do her best in front of the Avora.

She listened to Azira's theory, "You don't think it's my claws? It's just in my draw? Or my arm? I'm glad you think it's just that. I mean I've seen Symenestra using bows but I still wondered if it was my claws." Giving Azira a nod she gave it another try. Drusilla raised the bow and began to pull the string. She relaxed raising the bow and pulling the string together, while still not perfect or even near perfect it was better than her first try. She aimed and fired taking in what Azira had said to do. It didn't hit the bulls eye but it didn't lean right like before either. Drusilla gave a smile, "Awesome! It didn't lean, well maybe a little. But." She celebrated in her head.

"Nn? Oh... I spoke out loud didn't I? It's not a 'what' it's a 'who'." Drusilla sighed, "Senella, is my little sister she's a tad younger than you and Devaddel is her twin. They're my youngest siblings. There's a middle child, another brother Druvindri. For some reason I was just thinking of the twins.. Their mother was Inarta, and it shows with Senella. Devaddel doesn't he's a little..off or was maybe he's better now... Sorry that was random, I don't know why my mind drifted to them."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Archery and Avora

Postby Azira on December 17th, 2014, 5:25 pm

The teen Avora laughed lightly. "Well if we weren't good at it then we wouldn't be hunters but that doesn't mean that we didn't have to practise for bells to manage it. You can't just pick up a bow and be able to use it perfectly. Learning to use it is only the first obstacle too," the girl explained. She flushed a moment later and resisted the urge to glance down at the feminine frame in question. Was it necessary to draw attention to that? There was no way for her to hide that aspect of herself although she had tried to make herself less appealing. Hacking her hair hadn't done too good a job, had it?

The mention of Drusilla's claws was a welcome change of subject and she jumped on it gladly. "Oh well, I hadn't considered your claws but they don't normally get in the way, do they? You manage to do things like sewing and that takes a lot of dexterity so I don't see why they'd cause you more trouble with the bow. Can you?" she asked. She really hadn't thought about the effect that the Symenestra's claws might have. They were nails and so she wouldn't have any feeling in them but she still had control over them. It was unlikely that they'd get in the way and if other Symenestra could use bows without any problem then it probably wasn't the claws. The huntress held even more stock in her reasoning when the woman showed an improvement in her aim. The teen was surprised by the spider's calm reaction, wondering why she was taking the improvement in her stride. She would have expected her to be far more... excited.

The meaning of the words that the seamstress had sprouted were no longer a mystery but they left her with more questions than answers. Why had she been thinking about her younger siblings? Was the fact that they had an Inarta mother been the fact that caused that line of thought? It certainly seemed random but if Drusilla said that she didn't know where the thought had come from then maybe really didn't know. There was clearly no point in asking about that but perhaps she could ask about the male twin. There was something intriguing but also a little disturbing about the way that the other had described him and Azira's morbid curiosity couldn't let something like that slip by without commenting on it.

"What do you mean by his being off? The other twin, I mean. Do you mean physically or mentally because you said that his sister was like an Inarta but that could be appearance or personality or both so what did you mean?" she asked bluntly. It wasn't that the girl wasn't aware of the concept of being tactful, she just chose to ignore it completely. She doubted that the seamstress would even mind. Besides the woman liked sharing things about her life so what difference did a few prying questions make?
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Archery and Avora

Postby Drusilla on December 21st, 2014, 9:38 am

Drusilla gave a slight chuckle at Azira's responds, "I suppose that's true. You have to be good to be a hunter. From the view of a non-hunter it just looks like it wouldn't require much to use one. Looks can be deceiving, I've learned." While that was all true of Archery, it was true of Azira too. She was much stronger than she looked, and when she wanted to... Azira was much nicer than she allowed one to believe. Not that she wouldn't knock your lights out if you made her mad.

She looked over her black 'claws'. No, it wasn't any fault of her claws. A question rose to her mind, "Hey Azira, what makes nails different than claws? Length? Point?" An odd question no doubt but one Drusilla was rather curious about.

As Drusilla stood thinking of claws and nails and how it might just be a way for humans to separate themselves from her kind or her kind from humans Azira asked a question that caught the Symenestra off guard. She looked at the Avora trying to wrap her head around the questions and the answers. "Mentally, physically he looked fine. One might even of used the term 'cute' or something like that. But, he never learned to speak that I know of. He'd just sorta stack and un-stack things over and over. He liked to paint, it was all abstract but he could paint. But if you changed his daily routine, there were fits." Her brother had been strange and confusing at times, but easily lovable.

If only she could of said the same for his twin... "It's personality wise, temper wise, and attitude wise. Mix that with a very sadistic mother to dote on her. If she is now how she was then or even worse, I would look the other way if you punched her. That's the kindest way to put it..." She couldn't just say 'I'd kill her if I saw her or look the other way if you did.' "Imagine if you will the most sadistic Endal you can. That was her and as an Endal treats a dek... That's how she treated her twin."
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Archery and Avora

Postby Azira on December 24th, 2014, 2:44 pm

"That's why non-hunters aren't hunters," she pointed out to the Symenestra. "Some people think that it's so easy so of course they can do it but not everyone is cut out for it. It isn't all about being good with a bow either. You have to be willing and able to kill among other things." It wasn't like the seamstress was going to become a hunter so why was she setting out the requirements to become one? Well the woman had shown interest and the huntress did tend to get a little enthusiastic about the subject of her work. If she started to talk too much then it wouldn't be her fault; Drusilla had brought it on herself.

The spider's question concerning claws made her frown. Why did she have to ask such strange questions all the time? Her mind seemed to jump from one line of thought to another, her inquisitiveness seeming to know no bounds. She considered it all the same, wondering what the difference between nails and claws was. Animals had claws, not nails but then they used them for various purposes unlike humans. Nails could grow long, they could be filed into points but they were also brittle, something that claws weren't. "I think claws are harder and more sturdy than nails. They don't break easily and I suppose the point counts for something too. People don't normally have nails that can slice people open. They're kind of blunt," the teen replied finally.

Drusilla didn't appear to be offended by her prying but then she had as much right to ask questions as the other woman did, although Azira's ones had been a bit more personal. She was certainly surprised, that much was clear but she obviously wasn't upset or angered by her curiosity. The way that she described her brother sounded somewhat familiar to the teen. She'd seen a boy like that before. It hadn't taken long for him to be assigned to be a drudge. He had been too slow for his lessons, had seemed like his was elsewhere in his head and despite the best efforts of the Chiet teachers they had given him up as being a hopeless case. He'd been bullied terribly for a while but he wasn't a very interesting target, he hadn't reacted the way they had wanted and so more fun targets had been picked on like Azira. The two boys sounded similar enough but that didn't mean that they were alike.

The boy sounded pitiable, especially given the treatment he received at the hands of his sister. She could imagine this sadistic girl that the seamstress spoken and she wondered at what age such traits had manifested. If she was still a child then she would be truly terrifying as an adult. A force to be reckoned with. "Well she sounds nice," she muttered sarcastically. "I suppose that you don't have all that much to do with them? Your family, I mean. They're in Kalinor and you're here and you don't seem the sort to pay visits home. I get the impression that you don't like them much. Am I right?" she asked softly.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Archery and Avora

Postby Drusilla on December 27th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Drusilla gave a laugh, she had heard Azira's sarcasm, "Yes she's lovely." Drusilla countered with sarcasm of her own. "A petching spoiled brat!" She lined up a shot and let it fly, it stuck well.

"Nope, in fact I'm pretty sure they think I'm dead. It's better this way being a ghost to them. It-It's not that I hate my family, just half of it. I plan on going home one day to apologize to my dad. None of this was his fault really and I want him to know that. I love my father, I really do." She looked at Azira and then away. "I miss Vindri, that's what I called him. He's about your age. I think he'd like you, not for the harvest or anything like that, just as boys do." She sat down, "Let's see, his hair was ink black, had a cute enough face, Dad taught him manners, and his eyes were so golden they almost seemed to glow. He was a lot like father looking back... Devad looked pretty much the same, but his eyes were bigger. He looked more like the Inarta woman.. I'd love to get him out of there, out of the dark. But, I can't. I can't bring him here even if I tell people he's harmless, they wouldn't chance it and I couldn't hide him." Drusilla sighed. "That part of my family I miss."

"As for my sister and my step-mother... If I ever do go back. I'll make things right this time." She looked to Azira, "I'll kill them." Drusilla stood up and fired another arrow, this one if only by luck or anger hit dead center. Almost like the universe was saying 'she really means it.'
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Archery and Avora

Postby Azira on January 9th, 2015, 11:26 pm

The teen snorted as Drusilla met her sarcasm with some of her own. She sounded like a piece of work all right although from the sounds of her Azira wouldn't have described her as spoiled. Sadistic, cruel but spoiled? No, she wouldn't have used that term but then the seamstress would know better than she would. It was her half-sister after all.

She stood with her hands on her hips as the spider took another shot, checking over her form. She was doing better but it was far from perfect. The Inarta's brows raised in surprise at the other's words, only a brief glance given to discern where the arrow had struck. Her family thought that she was dead. The Symenestra had a family and yet she'd chosen to distance herself from them. She could understand why she'd done it if her home life had really been as bad as she'd said but she'd chosen to distance herself from the good part of her family in order to get away from the bad. The Avora felt sorry for her.

She blushed when Drusilla said Vindri would have liked her "as boys do". She hadn't mentioned a lot about the middle child but if he was so easily influenced by appearances - what else would he like about her? - then she didn't think that she'd have much of a liking for him. Judging by the affection in her voice there was something about him that had put him in Drusilla's good books. She hated her own race and her family were included in that hatred albeit with some exceptions. There had to be something to the boy if he had been marked out as a Symenestra that she liked.

When she started to line up another shot, the huntress stepped in quickly to make adjustments to her posture once more if she'd allow it. Stepping back again, the girl went back to her critical observation. Her gaze flickered to the Chiet's face in shock as soon as her chilling statement met her ears, truly striking home as the arrow managed to hit dead centre. Her eyes moved from the target to the spider and back again, wondering what god had allowed the arrow to hit true to add such a deadly seriousness to the other's threat. There had been something in her gaze before she fired that had the huntress believing her. She really meant it. This woman who looked after the Dek, who seemed so willing to love everything and didn't seem capable of hurting another living creature was seriously contemplating murder. She seemed capable of murder.

"Well... good for you. I can see you mean it," the Avora murmured, eyes fixed on the seamstress. Her expression was sombre. "Killing someone isn't that hard. Maybe it's harder to deal with the consequences of it afterwards but it's very easy to kill. I wouldn't have thought you capable of it but you really mean it. What do you plan on doing? Shooting them or what?" She nodded towards the bow in the spider's hands.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext