PM to join Fishing and Falling [Enthere]

A refreshing dip in the river...sort of....

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Fishing and Falling

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on October 16th, 2014, 1:13 am

Saraphina Skyglow

T he ginger Kelvic looked over at her companion....no....over at her friend. Enthere had more than earned the right to Saraphina's trust. Not only had the Cougar put her own life in danger to save her, she had opened her territory to a virtual stranger without question. The season and a half that the two had spent together somehow meant as much to Saraphina as the two years she'd lived with her Mother. Enthere would now and forever more, be a friend to the Tiger Kelvic. Smiling widely, she replied happily, "Of course I'll stay Enthere. You're a close friend to me too." Now more comfortable with everything, Saraphina walked alongside her comrade in arms. A relaxed, carefree smile lit her face, and even though her hair was a tangled mess, she could look back on the incident in the river and almost laugh....almost.

L ooking around at the rapidly changing mountain area, Saraphina reminisced a bit about her home of Avanthal. The snow would be falling soon, which would bring harder times for the two Kelvic's. They should be preparing for the cold season. Salting meat, storing nuts, drying fruits. Maybe once the two got back to camp and got cleaned up she'd suggest it. A few birds flew overhead and Saraphina's sharp hearing picked up the sound of a few fleeing ground dwellers, a rabbit or maybe a gopher. The long eared prey would be abound in the winter, but the den dwelling creatures would be heading to hibernation soon. Hunting would become much harder very shortly. Fortunately, both Enthere and herself had fed well in the warmer weather. The could handle a week or two of little to no food. Glancing at Enthere, Saraphina frowned a bit. Her friends face was a mask of her usual calm, collected self. But her scent belied a torrent of emotions. Still, Saraphina would not pry.

B ut Enthere seemed to feel the red head's own torment, offering in a quiet voice to be an open ear. Saraphina hesitanted....would talking about her horrors help to lessen them....or would it only make the terrible dreams become more vivid? Shifting uncomfortably as they walked back to camp, she wrapped her arms around her torso. As the camp came into view, she distracted herself from thinking about it by gathering up some deadfall. Creating a small pyramid shape with some of the small twigs, Saraphina pulled off some stringy, green moss that was clinging to one of the branches. The dry tinder would be a good base to start a fire from. Taking her flint and steel, she cracked the two together several times, creating sparks with each hit. After about a dozen hits, a large enough spark was made that the dry tinder caught and a small coal started to burn. Quickly putting the tool aside, Saraphina blew on the tiny heat source gently. The breath fed the hungry spark and a small flame grew in the center. Carefully alternating between added moss and twigs and blowing on the flame, Saraphina soon had a small, merry fire burning.

T he fires crackling light and heat somehow made Saraphina feel more at ease. Nursing the fire for a bit till she was satisfied it won't go out, she grabbed her brush and started to work through the matted nest that was her hair. As she worked, Saraphina glanced at Enthere, maybe if she kept her hands busy while she talked there'd be less chance she'd break down in tears. Really, she'd suffered enough embarrassment today, "I was in my Mother's house when the pirates came. All I can really remember is them holding me down and saying that if I fought them, they'd kill my Mother. I don't even know how they managed to get me out of the house without waking her. I'm glad they didn't....I'm not sure I would have had the will to keep living if I knew she was dead." Saraphina paused as the memories washed over her. Remembering rough hands reeking of fish and blood clamping over her mouth and extremities. Harsh whispering voices thick with the promise of pain and the soul chilling fear of being carried away from the only place she'd truly been able to call home.

S wallowing back a lump in her throat she ripped the brush through her hair. The pain distracted her enough that she could continue, "They blindfolded me....took me on a ship and strapped a tight collar on my neck so I couldn't shift. I was locked in a dark hole that reeked of mold and death. And Nicholi...He'd come in everyday, tell me that I was his and that I would obey his will. He'd hit me....a lot, every time I'd fight back. It...it was horriable....to know that I couldn't freely change shape without killing myself, to be thought so little of....as a piece of property. Separated from the wilds....having a man demand I submit....and knowing...that out in the world...somewhere....other's like me had already forgotten freedom. I was....so afraid that I'd end up like that....that I'd forget who I was....what freedom was." Saraphina had to stop talking then. She stared hard into the crackling fire, blinking back tears and fighting to keep from trembling. But....somehow, after she'd finished speaking, something changed. It was...almost like a weight was lifted, like bearing her fears before her dear friend had lessened the potency of the scars.

Last edited by Saraphina Skyglow on October 25th, 2014, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saraphina Skyglow
No chains will ever hold me

Words: 234308
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fishing and Falling [Enthere]

Postby Enthere on October 22nd, 2014, 12:41 am

As Saraphina quietly began forming a fire in the pit, Enthere busied herself collecting more substantial fuel. The neat pile of wood beside the fire pit was not low, but she wanted something to do, and it was the only thing she could think of that might be helpful. She ventured a short ways into the brush so she was still in sight of the camp, but could easily find new fallen branches. She searched the grassy undergrowth for dry wood, protected from rain by foliage, but not so deep under that they would have started to rot. When she had a hefty armload she padded back to their clearing.

The branches landed with a clatter of wood against wood beside the fire. Enthere landed on the dry grass with much less clatter, settling herself comfortably on a slight hump in the ground. Her hump-seat had probably grown there when the fire pit was hollowed out, but she couldn't seem to recall at that moment. She stared at the neat pile of twigs, then the growing fire. One thing she learned from living with humans, or Kelvics, was patience. People are like wild animals, if you push them to hard or to soon they flee. Enthere hoped she hadn't pushed Saraphina to hard.
When Saraphina told her story Enthere listened. She lacked the common ticks' of humans that caused them to nod, encourage, or interrupt, so she remained entirely silent and undistracted until Saraphina was finished. She studied the other Kelvic brushing her hair as she talked, pulling and tugging her bright red strands. Even through the mud Saraphina's hair was so bright. It rivaled the glowing flames. Enthere's hair, though touched with vague scarlet, was more akin to the old, nearly brown leaves of late autumn.

Enthere didn't know how to reply to the story, she felt sympathy for Saraphina, more than sympathy. Saraphina was her friend and the her pain made her sad, though there was more to that sadness than she could describe. She decided the only right response was her own story. Enthere's gaze switched back to the fire, she broke right into the story. "I had a Bondmate. I was living in Ravok when he found me, he was....old, and very kind." Enthere could perfectly picture Kerrin's face the first time she saw him, his gentle brown eyes and soft wispy white hair. "He took me in, he treated me like his own daughter for years. Those were the best years I've ever had." Enthere's eyes crinkled sadly at the edges, but she didn't cry, she never cried. "Then one night he went out.....He never came back. He died, and I wasn't even there." She should have been there, she should have stopped it, what ever had happened. She should have stopped it.

The story-her history, her life-wasn't as intensely scarring as Saraphina's, but it was still a deep wound and she hoped it would comfort her friend. It was strange telling the story, Enthere hadn't told it...she couldn't remember ever telling anyone the full story, or at least the shortened full story.
Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on October 25th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Saraphina Skyglow

E nthere's quiet response, her seemingly lack of emotion about loosing her Bondmate made Saraphina pause. Carefully scenting the air around her friend, the ginger hid a wince. The Cougar shifter was in a lot of pain, though her demeanor and expression was as neutral as ever. Saraphina couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of agony it must have been like to loose the other half of yourself. Worst to have never known how or where they'd fallen. Enthere has always been a mystery to her, an enigma of quiet reassurance and peaceful company. Now it made sense as to why she behaved the way she did. She was running, trying to find a new purpose, a new place. How difficult it must be for her....how lonely. Saraphina managed a small smile after Enthere had finished speaking. Talking about her own horrors and scars of the past seemed to help ease a burden on the Tiger Kelvic's shoulders. Perhaps it had done the same for her friend.

T he two shifters sat in calm, heavy silence for a long while, each staring into the dancing fire as the sun rose higher in the sky. Now warm and dry with the memory of her river adventure long behind her, Saraphina finally looked up at Enthere. She didn't know what to say, how to offer any relief or comfort. And really....in the end, she couldn't. No matter how hard she may want to. Each person, each action and choice made someone unique. Enthere had chosen to try and live on despite her Bondmate's disappearance. And Saraphina had to live on despite her nightmares and fears. That was life, the circle of existence. Drawing in a breath, she spoke in a small voice that carry as much wisdom as she could muster, "We can't change what's happened, we can't live holding fear and grief in our hearts. To do so will only see us darkened and blighted. And that's not something I want....not for either of us. It....it helped, talking about it, at least for me it did. But, I know that I am not alone. And as long as I live Enthere, you won't be either. Even when we part ways, we will always be friends. That's not something that leaves. We live on...and your Bondmate would have wanted that. Just as my Mother would want that." She didn't know if her words would have any effect on her friend, but they were the best she could offer.

T ossing another small stick onto the fire, Saraphina put her brush back into her bag. She looked around the small campsite she'd called home for the last two season fondly. A lot of memories were here. Her meeting with Enthere, caring for Abaccus, duel hunts and so many more. She'd miss the peaceful site when she left, but traveling was something she craved. Seeing the world, learning new things and perhaps even finding her own Bondmate someday were a driving force in the red haired Kelvic. She would be wanting to leave soon and she wasn't sure how to approach that with Enthere. The easiest would provably be just to say that she was travelling. Beating around the bush with the Cougar Kelvic was kinda pointless and her friend won't appreciate it anyway. Smiling across the fire at the brunette, Saraphina placed her hands behind her, braced on the ground and looked to the sky, "If I haven't said this before Enthere I will now. Thank you....thank you for being such a good friend. I don't know if I would have made it this far without falling into a hole of despair without having your support around. Even just your presence is a comfort. So....thank you....for everything."

Last edited by Saraphina Skyglow on December 2nd, 2014, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Enthere on December 1st, 2014, 1:23 am

Enthere nodded quietly to Saraphina as she listened, her head down, concealing her sorrow. The cougar rarely showed emotions of any kind, a tendency that caused many people to dislike her. It was something that made her stand out as not only a non-human, but also as an animal. At times her detachment made her look unkind and unfeeling. It could have been a side-affect of her animal blood, but when she stood side-by-side with another Kelvic like Saraphina, one that was entirely vibrant and feeling, it was obvious there was something wrong with Enthere, and she knew it.

When their unique bond had been shattered the night Kerrin died, it wasn't just the bond that broke, it had broken Enthere as well. A Kelvic that had lost her bondmate was no Kelvic at all, and Enthere had never seen any hope of finding a new bondmate. Since that moment she had tried to put the pieces of herself back together, and for a long time she had failed miserably. Enthere now knew why she had been failing to find her place, why she had continuously failed to make a place for herself. She needed help. Saraphina had helped her start to put herself back together, and though she might never know it, Enthere was unendingly grateful for that.

"Thank you." She said, her head still lowered. Those two words were her acknowledgment of Saraphina's own expressed gratitude, Enthere never considered the option of a simple ''your welcome".

"You have done more for me than be my friend, these seasons..." She continued. "I can't say what you've done to help me, the good you've done...but I could never help you enough to repay you for it. And you're right, we have to keep living." She left it at that, she couldn't yet say that she could move on, she didn't think she would ever move past the loss of her bondmate, but she could move forward.

Enthere had been so deeply contemplating her life, that it took her a long moment to register the full connotations of Saraphina's words. Most notably, the 'parting ways' part. Of course Enthere knew Saraphina wouldn't stay camping with her forever-that would be to much to hope for-no one had ever stuck with Enthere. She still thought that the two had more to offer each other, more knowledge to be shared, more life-lessons to learn together, and, honestly, more swimming lessons. However, Enthere couldn't deny that the conversation had an air of finality about it. Maybe Saraphina wasn't going to pack up and leave the next day, but there seemed to be a limit on their time now. The two had learned and grown over the past season, they had shared their stories and nightmares. Despite their bond of friendship, Enthere knew that one of them would surely be ready to move on to greener forests soon.

The Kelvic didn't say anything about the possibility of leaving, but she raised her gaze from the ground to look at Saraphina. "Winter will be here soon." She said, changing the subject, "the river will freeze over."

Enthere's speech
Others' speech
Enthere
Surviving. Fighting. Healing. Freeing.

Words: 56259
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Saraphina Skyglow on December 2nd, 2014, 1:51 am

Saraphina Skyglow

S araphina was glad when Enthere responded in what seemed to be a positive manner to her remark. Really, given the pain and trouble her dear friend had been through, it was a miracle of the gods that the Cougar Kelvic was even alive, let alone allowed herself to try and move on. Saraphina didn't think she would have the same strength if she was in Enthere's place. But it lifted a weight from the ginger to know that she'd helped, in any small way at all. It was a stinging and rather bitter flavor that way left in the Tiger's mouth though. Because she knew, even as they spoke, that it may be the last heart to heart they had for a long while. Saraphina liked Enthere, a lot. But her need to move, to explore and keep learning was rising to the surface like an irritating rash. She enjoyed Zeltiva, loved the city and its unique array of people. But she had her own life to live, her own adventures and lessons to move onto. And so did Enthere, even if she didn't know it yet.

B ut the river rescue and the bonding they'd done this day would linger with Saraphina for many years to come. The ginger was fairly certain her Kelvic friend would find a way to keep living, a place where she belonged and hopefully, in time, they would meet again and share stories of their travels. Smiling back at the brunette, Saraphina said nothing in response to her companions gratitude filled words and instead focused on her comment about the river. Throwing her head back, she laughed brightly, filling the air with happiness and lighthearted noise to try and break the tension the soul breaching conversation had turned to, "So it will be indeed. Guess I won't have to worry too much about drowning in an icy covered water hole. Maybe we should get some fishing line and try our have at ice fishing. They say you can cover your head with a cloth and actually see the fish biting at the hook. Wouldn't that be a fun experience."

S araphina chuckled lightly as the thoughts of winter fishing filled her head, banishing the darkening thoughts of her nightmares. With a cheery fire crackling and the company of her good friend, Saraphina honestly felt on top of the world. Stretching out, she winced a bit as some of her muscles twanged in protest, reminding the Kelvic that, yes....she had been through a trail and maybe a rest was in order. Looking over at her tent, she smiled at Enthere. Wiggling her toes, which were a bit chilly in her boots since her watery swim, she murmured softly, "Think I might catch a little cat nap for a bell or two. How about a duel hunt after I wake up? Be a nice way to end the day hmm." Standing and brushing off some grass from her pants, she walked over beside Enthere. Laying a hand on the Cougar's shoulder, she squeezed gently. A reassuring and heartwarming gesture for her suffering friend, letting the lonely soul know that she wasn't alone, no matter how dark the world got. Brushing her hair back from her face, Saraphina headed for her tent and ducked inside, ready to settle in for a rest from her river adventures.

OOCFeel free to wrap it up here Enthere and submit it for grading. Thanks for the thread, it was AMAZING.

Saraphina Skyglow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Keene Ward on December 31st, 2014, 6:26 am

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."
- Poirot

Saraphina :
Skills:
  • Observation | +5 EXP
    Endurance | +1 EXP
    Hunting | +2 EXP
    Running | +1 EXP
    Socialization | +5 EXP
    Animal Husbandry | +1 EXP
    Philosophy | +1 EXP
    Swimming | +2 EXP
    Storytelling | +2 EXP
Lores:
  • Enthere: A Deep Sadness
    Enthere: Confidant
    Swimming: The Feeling of Drowning
    Swimming: The Strength of a Current
    Enthere: Savior
    Wilderness Survival: Transforming to Cope With Cold
    Wilderness Survival: Collecting Tinder
    Wilderness Survival: Creating Kindling
    Wilderness Survival: Sparking a Fire
    Enthere's Past: The Loss of a Bondmate

Post Script :
For the next week, Saraphina's back with be bruised and sore from her little dip in the river!

Wow. There was a lot of touching interaction, some thrilling excitement, and a bittersweet finality to this thread. I really /really/ enjoyed it. You guys write well together, and it's a joy to read. Keep it up!

If you have any questions, PM me!

Enthere :
Skills:
  • Tracking | +1 EXP
    Endurance | +1 EXP
    Wilderness Survival | +1 EXP
    Observation | +5 EXP
    Stealth | +1 EXP
    Storytelling | +1 EXP
    Cooking | +1 EXP
    Planning | +1 EXP
    Swimming | +1 EXP
    Rhetoric | +1 EXP
    Intimidation | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Saraphina's Past: The Kidnapping
    Cooking: Furred Spitted Squirrel
    Tracking: Following Loud Sounds
    Swimming: Tactic: "Kick-off"
    Swimming: The Strength of a Current
    Swimming: The Feeling of Drowning
    Saraphina: A Friend Worth Dying For
    Meditation: Peace in Wildness
    Saraphina: Afraid of Water
    Wilderness Survival: Gathering Firewood
    Socialization: A Story for a Story
    Saraphina: Confidant

Post Script :
Enthere has minor bruising on her arm and shoulder from where she was hit by Saraphina during her struggle that last for about a week!

Enthere. Your character's struggle with her brokenness over the loss of her bondmate in juxtaposition with her desire to express her friendship with Saraphina is just... It's great. You do a really good job of presenting the facts, and letting the emotions be drawn fourth by the reader. That's a talent. Quick note on skills: just make sure you're playing at your level. :) Cooking a perfect squirrel with novice cooking is a little unrealistic (and just watch how you word her tracking abilities). Both of those skills I feel are pretty darn easy to overplay, so I would just be a little extra careful about them, but otherwise great job! Hopefully I'll get to grade at least one more thread between these two. The chemistry is great. :D

If you have any questions, PM me!
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Previous