Completed [Trainer's Pit]A Sparring Round

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Trainer's Pit]A Sparring Round

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 14th, 2014, 9:35 pm

the woman thought she saw shock on the face of her opponent, but she wasn't sure if that was the case. The man quickly brought his blade to deflect her own, leaving them in battle of strength as they both tried to force one another back. It was difficult position to be in, since from here the wrong move could end the match. The man did however indulge her curiosity before giving a demonstration.

Upon noticing the lessening force on Jaymz's swords end, Vanessa pulled back just in time to dodge, but she did however feel the gust it created on her neck before she got away. She nodded with a simple, 'I see' before once again focusing on the fight.

Judging by the earlier gust created by the swing of his blade, the man was no longer holding back. Good, then the real challenge begins. According to the man the blade was meant for horse back, but it seemed to do well enough in combat. A Scimitar. She would remember it later. It seemed fairly easy to wield, perhaps it was light.

Lucky she could no longer feel the weight of the weapon she wielded, so it would be easier to move with. She loosened her grip on the sword just a bit, hanging it low at her side as she charged forward. When in range she brought around the blade, arching for slash with the blunt of the blade.
Vlog | 4/6 Threads | Plotnotes
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Words: 56894
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2014, 5:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on December 15th, 2014, 3:25 pm

The woman nodded her understanding of the blade's potential. In that moment her demeanor seemed to change. She had acknowledged the fact that Jaymz was no longer holding back. He had seen her strength and she had seen at least some of his. This was when the real challenge would begin.

They were beginning to draw a crowd. A few other squire onlookers that he recognized and some knights standing around too. The owner of the pit, Gerard, had even taken an interest. While he was still off coaching some other fighters in their own battle, barking commands at them, he occasionally glanced over to the two fighters.

Then Vanessa was charging again. She ran forward with her blade low, pointed at the ground. Jaymz steadied himself and brought his scimitar up to hold at a right angle parallel to his body. When she was within range, she arched the sword up and swung at him, this time she was not being gentle.

He noticed that she was using the blunt of her blade, in fact it was only the blunt that she had been using since the beginning of the fight. Strange technique, she wasn't going for anything too much quite yet.

Her blade came around at his left side and he leaped to his right, but not far enough that the blade didn't hit him. It slapped into his arm and he took a sharp intake of breath through his teeth in surprise. It certainly stung, but he would get over it.

He regained his own footing as she was recovering then dove forward, aiming with the heel of his hand at the space just under her rib cage. If he hit her, this would cause for a momentary lack of breath, in which he would bring the blunt of his own blade around to hit the side of her arm.

In this close of a vicinity, he had the upper hand as her sword was long and heavy, it would be difficult to use effectively.
Last edited by Jaymz on December 15th, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Words: 17287
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 15th, 2014, 4:22 pm

A large crowd began to draw near, but Vanessa paid them no mind, instead wanting to focus her attention on her opponent. She had a glint of enjoyment in her eyes as she fought with the man, obviously taking joy in being able to get in some real practice. It was better than training alone, that was certain.

Vanessa blade blunt collided with Jaymz's arm, drawing a sharp intake of breath from the man, supposedly sending pain through his arm. Vanessa had been so caught up, she had done to much. She had meant to harm the man, an a apologetic look crossed her features, before fading as the man steadied his footing.

Before she could recover completely her balance, Jaymz had driven the heel of his hand under her ribs. She gasped sharply, a quick intake a breath making her feel slightly dizzy, before jumping back, just barely dodging the swing aimed at her arm.

Shyke, I lost my focus and got caught..

Vanessa managed to gain a bit of her breath, but it seemed she would have to use more than a sword to bring this man down. Hand to hand wasn't her thing, but she did have a bit of experience with it. Maybe a mixture of the two like she was being dealt would help.

A shift of weight to her left and she was on the move again. She stopped directly in front of the man for a very short second to quick step left clumsily before bringing her sword around as she twisted harshly to add more power. Brute force wasn't really her thing, but it would do for a slight distraction.

She knew that at this range her Broadswords size would be a disadvantage, but that was her aim. Hopefully the man would try to deflect her blade with his own, and at this point Vanessa would turn and release all pressure from her blade to get behind the man and elbow him in his lower back.
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on December 15th, 2014, 8:52 pm

His opponent dodged Jaymz' swing at her arm, jumping back out of the way. She had given him an apologetic look when she dealt the blow to his own arm, yet another surprise. She obviously wasn't expecting the punch in the gut, and he had managed to hit her full-on. Of course he didn't feel good about it, but that's what a sparring partner is for. Risks.

She recovered quickly though and was on the move again. She ran at Jaymz, and again he admired her direct approach, but stopped short for a second. He took this second to prepare himself. It was a good move on his part, as she stepped to the left, not all too gracefully, and swung her sword around in a powerful arch.

The only option here was to deflect her sword with his own, he did this, lifting his scimitar up against her sword. She did not hold it long though, almost immediately releasing all power from her sword to his. This confused him, and he wasn't prepared for when she stepped around behind him and sharp pain drove through his lower back.

"Ah!" He shouted unintentionally against the pain. He was driven forward because of it and almost fell to the ground. She was using his method. Quick learner, he thought.

He caught himself and turned back to the woman. They were in opposite spots than when they started now. He held his sword out against her and his left hand rubbed his back.

"Surprising tactics, I am impressed," He openly admired her use of hand-to-hand combat, an idea she had obviously gained from him, "I would suggest a lighter sword were you to fight this way more often." He advised her.

Jaymz dropped his hand from his back and switched his scimitar to it, now holding the sword in his left hand, his right hand unarmed. He waited long enough for her to reply, then drove forward again, this time with his sword aimed directly at her stomach. It wasn't how he usually fought, but he wanted to try something new too.

He wasn't sure what he would do when he got there, or how she would go about deflecting or dodging the oncoming attack. But it was all for the sake of learning.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 16th, 2014, 4:43 pm

The man yelped as her elbow met his lower back. Surprisingly, this method was somewhat effective, but it wasn't something she was used to. He was driven forward, but he manged to recover quickly enough, rubbing his back with his sword pointed at her. He spoke with admiration.

"To spar is to learn after all." She said, nodding her head as thanks. So she needed a lighter blade? No, she would make do with her Father's, after all, it was like a good luck charm to her. The man switched to his blade hand to left, leaving his right hand empty. He intends to continue his mixture of unarmed and sword play, eh? She stated mentally, before watching Jaymz surge forward once again.

Then she noticed he was aiming the blade at her stomach. Was he going to try her fighting style? A smirk lit her features. So he intended to learn as well. Very well. I look forward to this. A direct approach to her stomach, no side step, no feign, just purely direct sword play.

Apparently he hadn't done this before, or at least very much. So she would teach him while learning then. She took a step back, leaning back as well while gripping her broadsword with both hands in front to meet her opponents sword. By moving with the blow, hopefully it would lessen the impact, which thankfully worked as the clank of metal sounded dully in her ears.

"Heh, if you intent a direct approach, I recommend trying to adding sidesteps or feigns," she commented, adding pressure to her blade to force back the other blade before stepping back and making a short thrust of her own. "It helps to keep your opponents from seeing through your attack."
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on December 18th, 2014, 7:36 pm

His approach was sloppy and not well thought-out, so it was easy for Vanessa to deflect his sword. He needed sidesteps and feigns, as the woman suggested, to help him in this kind of attack. Maybe he would just stick to what he was more comfortable with.

She threw a quick thrust at him and he jumped back out of the way. Would it be possible that she would teach him more about a more effective method? His close-combat was different and sometimes he had the upper hand, but it could be turned against him if he used the wrong move. In cases where his opponents would have armor, using his hands and feet would be no good.

"Perhaps you could teach me some more, you seem capable." He admitted before stepping forward then ducking down, aiming with his right leg at her feet. If she had enough balance, she would be able to jump out of the way or catch herself. His legs were very strong, and she seemed light enough to be able to knock over.
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 18th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Vanessa watched the man carefully as he dove forward again, pondering his request in the back her mind as she took a double quickstep back to avoid being knocked over. The man seemed swift on his feet, added with what she summarized of extra use of them, they were strong. Either way, now was her chance to respond. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity... She thought to herself, briefly settling her thoughts. Very well.

"I didn't intend to teach a lesson however," She said, a slight glint amusement passed her features. "I may be make an exception if you will agree to teach me in your style as well."

A smile plastered itself on her lips, she relaxed herself but stayed somewhat alert. She lowered her broadsword, and walked over beside Jaymz. It sounded like a good plan in her opinion. She learns a new style of fighting, and she teaches another hers. It was a win-win. The only problem being she wasn't the best teacher.

She learned best by learning through experience, actually trying things herself while getting a explanation. Perhaps this man preferred to learn in the same way? She hoped so, because she thought it was the best way for her to teach him.

"Are we in agreement?"
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jaymz on December 18th, 2014, 10:04 pm

His opponent stepped back, avoiding his sweeping leg, and he stood up again to prepare himself for a counter attack. One did not come though, instead she responded to his inquiry.

If she did not intend to teach, that was fine, he would continue learning from his patron. But she would agree if he would show her a few pointers in his own style.

She walked over slowly, obviously not with the intention of an attack, with a smile upon her face. It lit up her features, she had a nice smile. Jaymz relaxed his own sword at his side, watching Vanessa walk over. When she stood beside him, he realized that he did not have to look down as much as he did with many other women. She wasn't very short, that much was true, but she still did not come close to his own stature.

"Are we in agreement?" She asked him. He thought for a second, gazing upon her features absentmindedly. She seemed kind enough, and learning new techniques was always necessary in being a squire. He decided that yes, he would learn from her, and in return he would teach her some of his own style. That would have to start with regular unarmed combat, hand-to-hand, with no weapons though. If she was okay with that, then their lessons would be easy.

He held out his hand in a friendly manner, "Yes, I believe we are. I'm glad to finally have found someone at least in my own area of expertise."
Jaymz
Equestrian Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanessa Lawson on December 19th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Vanessa nodded and gripped the mans' hand gently. She had to admit, she hadn't been expecting to teach anyone. In fact, her sole reason for being there was to [i]train[i]. Ah well, at least she was learning as well. She took a few seconds to look at him further before averting her gaze as not to stare. She sheathed her sword, assuming that she was to be taught first.

"I as well, however I believe you should know I've never actually taught anyone before. I don't know if I'll make the best teacher, but I guarantee I'll put all my effort into it." She said after clearing her throat. She thought he deserved to know, especially since it could affect his learning. Something she wouldn't want for herself. She stepped away, turning to face him assuming she would need space.

She would do her best to teach and be tuaght, but she had never really learned from anyone other than Ser Alvin and her parents. Maybe Jaymz would bring a new way of learning for her? Either way she had better prepare herself. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, alerting herself and letting an emotionless expression cross her features. "Ready when you are."
Vanessa Lawson
The Knowledge Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on January 8th, 2015, 12:17 am

Your Grades Have Arrived

Vanessa

Skills:
Skill EXP
Observation +3
Socialization +4
Broadsword +4
Unarmed Combat +1
Teaching +1

Lores:
  • Scimitar: Used on horseback, good for slashing
  • Jaymz: Uses a combination of unarmed combat and his scimitar
  • Jaymz: Good sparring partner
  • Combining unarmed combat with swordcraft

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+4 Training

Total: +4 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. It was a lot of fun to see how Vanessa learned and incorporated some of Jaymz’s fighting techniques and visa versa. Your posts are a bit on the short side (usually around 200 words, whereas the minimum post length for Mizahar is about 300-400 words). Therefore, when I was grading I was mentally pairing up some of your posts to award experience. Keep up the good work and see if you can flesh out those posts. =)

Jaymz

Skills:
Skill EXP
Observation +5
Socialization +5
Scimitar +4
Unarmed Combat +3
Meditation +1
Teaching +1

Lores:
  • Vanessa: Squire who uses direct attacks
  • Vanessa: Quick learner
  • Vanessa: Good sparring partner
  • Use feints and sidesteps to keep opponent guessing

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+4 Training

Total: +4 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. It was lots of fun to see Jaymz and Vanessa trying out each other’s techniques. I quite enjoyed Jaymz’s combination of both unarmed and armed combat. I also happened to notice that on your character sheet, under the skill “running” the total should be 15 exp, not 10 exp. It’s just a small typo that I thought I’d point out since you’ll be updating your skill points anyways.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread (but keep the link so Nightmare can award Shield Points).

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous