Solo Deiverin' the Goods

Job Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Shakune on December 27th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Deliverin' the Goods, 82nd Winter, 514AV

When Shakune woke up, the first thing that she noticed was that she wasn't shivering. The past season had been cruelly cold, and even with the addition of her faithful dog beside her, she still spent half the night trying not to freeze to death. But within the first five chimes of waking up - and granted, it was nearly midday by the time she stirred - Shakune could already tell that the frost had broken and the day would be warmer than the few just passed.

So it only seemed sensible that given the warmer weather, she should finally deliver the small number of parcels that she had collected over the past five days. Her customers, it seemed, were not that bothered by the terrible weather. But this did not surprise her; it was far easier for them to drop by her home than traipse all the way to deliver something themselves, especially when there was no guarantee they would be able to find the recipient.

Shakune though, after her time as a courier, had learnt the daily schedules of most other traders in Sunberth. And they in turn knew the agendas of their most loyal customers, so given these not-so-secrets-of-the-trade, Shakune would find it relatively easy to deliver her parcels.

Not that it made actually getting out of her bed any easier, though.

When she was finally vertical, Shakune dressed quickly and began investigating the parcels. They were all wrapped in brown paper or parchment, save for one that was swathed in a silky strip of material. No doubt that package in particular was important or expensive, so Shakune placed the hand-size parcel between her breasts - it was as good a place as any to keep something safe. Another two parcels fit snugly in her bag, and the fourth she carried.

Her first visit would be to Silvertongue's, a shop that Shakune had only stepped into once or twice before. She had no interest in jewellery, least of all that sold by a Benshira. Shakune may have turned her back on her Chaktawe heritage - most of it, at least - but having been raised within the Kalanue tribe, she still took little pleasure in dealing with a Benshira. They had a fierce rivalry with her people, and fights were not uncommon.

It was therefore not a great surprise that when Shakune entered, she received a less than warm welcome. The two women exchanged a lingering gaze, as if daring each other to say something out of line, to make the first move.

Shakune cracked first under the Benshira's endless stare. "Got a package for ya," she sight brightly, determined to not allow racial prejudices of her people to get in the way of business. When Cosette Demoya said nothing, Shakune began to admire the glittering wares of the saleswoman. "How's business been?"

Urgh, smalltalk. Shakune detested it, but knew most other women delighted in trivial talk.
Last edited by Shakune on December 28th, 2014, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Shakune on December 27th, 2014, 10:06 pm

The Benshira's eyebrows flickered upwards half an inch, and Shakune realised that the other woman clearly shared her hatred of chitchat. "May I have my package, or do you like to just say you have one for me?"

"Oh it's all part of the service." Shakune bristled, holding the large parcel out to Cosette. "I also have something for you to sign, to confirm you received it." Again her black eyes traced to the Cosette's wares, and the half-breed bit her tongue to stop herself from commenting on the sources of the necklaces and bracelets.

'Silver Tongue' took the package slowly, as if to ensure that whoever employed Shakune got the best value for their mizas. When it came to signing the document Shakune subsequently produced, the woman hesitated. "What happens if I don't sign this?" She asked, a smug little smirk taking place on her lips.

Shakune shrugged. "We both know you received your parcel, why wouldn't ya sign it? I could always forge your signature." She tried to act blasé, but inside her stomach clenched. Shakune's handwriting was barely legible, so the idea of forging anyone else's signature was an impossibility. Fortunately all of her clients happily signed the document upon Shakune's request, so the need had never arose. If it did, though, no doubt her reputation would go down. And in turn, her income too. "But it'd be best if you signed it, d'ya think?" She pretended to investigate her nails casually, but those black eyes remained fix on Cossette's hovering quill.

Eventually the other desert woman chuckled to herself, clearly entertained by Shakune's poorly concealed nervousness. "Of course, my dear." As she handed the paper back, the Benshira nodded to a display cabinet to her left. "You ought to take a look, find yourself something pretty. I'll give you a good price."

Now Shakune chuckled. Every businessperson, regardless of trade, knew that final statement. 'I'll give you a good price' translated roughly in Common to: 'I'll sell it at least twice its worth, so even when we've haggled I'll be in pocket'. "I'm sure you would, but no thank you. Jewellery isn't my thing."

She readied herself to leave, folding the signed document into her bag and bidding Cosette a taut farewell. She chose to ignore the Benshira's comment about frugal Chaktawes. After all, it was somewhat difficult to argue against fact.
Last edited by Shakune on December 28th, 2014, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Shakune on December 27th, 2014, 10:55 pm

When Shakune checked the address for her next delivery, her heart sank. The Clinic, ran by the psychotic Doctor Petricious. As the only medical center in the city, the Doctor's services were undeniably important in Sunberth. Shakune had actually visited him once before when she had almost destroyed her innards by drinking too heavily. He had cured her well enough, but Shakune had seen the evil delight in his eyes as he watched her writhe and cry in agony. After her visit, she ensured to never drink that much again, and she had paid close attention to the rumours that floated around Sunberth about the Good Doctor. She had no doubt that the tales of torture and vulgarity were absolutely true.

She sauntered her way over to the edge of the Wolf's Den; a stupid thing to do, given the high probably that she would get mugged or killed in this area of town even if she was sprinting through. Regardless, when Shakune saw the door to the Doctor's Clinic, she stopped. What if someone was in there now, bloody and being pulled apart? She did not have the stomach for even imagining such things, let alone being in close proximity with them.

With a nervous hand, she knocked on the door. It opened almost immediately, and Shakune practically leapt backwards.

"'S'wrong with you?" came the sharp voice of the doctor. He seemed just as surprised by Shakune's presence as she was by his. His beady eyes checked her over, searching for an obvious ailment. "You sick?"

Shakune shook her head, but what had silenced her was the smell that escaped from beyond the doctor's room. Blood, sweat, urine, faeces... death. The odours were unmistakable, even to Shakune's untrained nose, and it sent her into a panic.

The doctor stood to the side of his door, gesturing for her to enter. He wore a tired expression. "Look, you may as well come in then and tell me what's wrong. I can't help you otherwise."

Again Shakune shook her head, and took another step back. "Package." She blurted out, thinking that it was far better that this man thought she was an idiot rather than a prospective patient. "For you." Her arm extended stiffly towards Petricious, holding a paper bag that jingled whenever it was moved. She guessed it contained medicinal herbs -- at least she hoped they were medicinal in use and not poisonous. She wanted nothing to do with Petricious' side jobs, let alone to provide him with tools.

He looked surprised once more, and it took several ticks for the doctor to finally react to Shakune's statement. "Oh. I see. Thank you." He wasted no time in opening his parcel, and as Shakune had expected, he retrieved three small bottles from inside. Pleased, he showed them to Shakune. "Do you know what these are?"

Usually, Shakune loved seeing what her customers had received, and it always made her happy that they appeared to be comfortable enough to share this with her. Now though, as she stood in the dank alleyway, learning what she had just delivered was the last thing she wanted to do. "No, no I don't." Her voice cracked and she shook her head desperately, like a child trying to escape punishment.

The Doctor smiled, and seemed rather pleased at the prospect of sharing his knowledge with this unknowing courier. He held up the first vial, which held a thick paste almost like glue. "This is Silk Streak. Anyone who comes into contact with this believes there are insects crawling under their skin. And this one-" he spoke light heartedly, as if he was showing Shakune nothing more sinister than a collection of dried flowers, "is Blue Winnis. Knocks someone right out - so I can operate on them, of course." When he dipped inside the wrapping for the third time, Shakune grimaced in preparation for what she was about to hear: "And I believe this is paprika. Makes any dish that extra bit delicious, I heartily recommend it."

She gave a shaky smile as she asked the Doctor to sign her confirmation document, which he did so. As soon as he closed the door, Shakune fled. She ran as desperately as she could - as if the Gods themselves were chasing her - back into the centre of Sunberth. And she continued to run, feet pounding the earth, eyes wide and fearful, arms swinging to pull herself further forwards. She tripped and skidded several times, but she did not stop. Only when Shakune saw the docks did she finally slow down. Her chest burnt, her legs ached and she felt the immediate need to vomit -- but she was safe, and more importantly she was far away from the Doctor.
Last edited by Shakune on December 28th, 2014, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Shakune on December 27th, 2014, 11:41 pm

The journey to her penultimate delivery completely evaded Shakune. She simply did not remember walking through Sunberth, let alone entering Brega's House of Happy Endings. Even when Brega greeted the half-breed ("Shakune! What's wrong my dear? You look terrible! What has bought you this way?"), Shakune was still dazed and disorientated after her visit to the Doctor.

"I have a package." Was that Shakune speaking? She barely recognised the sound of her own voice. The name of the recipient was not actually Brega, but she handed the parcel to the beautiful prostitute anyway.

The Whore tsked and put the parcel to one side. Her face was creased with concern for Shakune, who in truth she barely knew. But Brega was kind, and for the time being that was exactly what Shakune needed. "You could have a job here, y'know." The woman offered in a whisper, "you're exotic and a beauty. I've heard you know how to please a man, as well. And a woman, for that matter. You'd be well looked after."

It was a great compliment in Sunberth to be told that you could work for Brega, and this was not lost on the half-breed. She smiled weakly and nodded once. "I'm considering it, Brega, I promise you." It was a lie, and Shakune guessed that Brega knew that as much as she did. She fucked for fun, not for money. Mixing business with pleasure would confuse Shakune; she wouldn't know whether to drop to her knees and open wide or to offer someone a document to sign. "But packages are my thing. The sort you deliver, that is."

They shared a little chuckle between them. Following the subsequent silence, Brega pulled the package back towards her. She glancing at the name, then quietly asked a passing male prostitute (who was also rather beautiful by anyone's standards) to retrieve whomever the package was for.

The woman who arrived was another gorgeous specimen of humanity, with hair that looked like liquid gold cascading down her back. Shakune might be exotic and sexy, but this woman had large cat-like eyes that made her think of a jungle panther. A night with you would no doubt result in claw marks down a man's back, alright. Shakune thought with a smirk.

"Package for ya." She proffered, sliding the parcel towards the blonde.

The woman opened it carefully, as if she was unsure whether it was a gift or a trap. Once it was clear that the parcel was the former, she ripped at the paper excitedly. It revealed a blanket, made of various pieces of material sewn together. It was... interesting, to be polite.

Blondie seemed delighted, though. She gasped and swirled the blanket onto her shoulders, fashioning a cloak out of it. "Oh! It's gorgeous!" Her smiling face turned to Shakune. "Thank you for delivering this. It is a gift, you see. My little sister is a keen sewer and--" Blondie's voice caught in her throat. Shakune had heard countless stories of whores who were forced into working in their line of business to provide for their family. It seemed like a cliché, but perhaps in this instance it was also the sad truth.

"I am glad to have delivered it. It's my pleasure." The smile Shakune sent in return the blonde still felt slightly false on her face, given the horror of her previous client. Still, Shakune would happily deliver to a thousand whorehouses over a single delivery to Doctor Petricious, even if it meant she was out of pocket at the end of each day.

Blondie signed Shakune's form, and Brega actually gave Shakune a gold miza in return for her services. With only one final package to deliver, the courier left Brega's House feeling the same as many other visitors; happy.
Last edited by Shakune on December 28th, 2014, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Shakune on December 28th, 2014, 3:22 pm

The Fence was the final delivery destination of the day for Shakune, and it came as a relief. Zeke was as rough as they came, but he wasn't a bad man, and over the years he had provided Shakune with a spattering variety of courier business. It was always a mystery how the Fence managed to provide such a variety of goods to the people of Sunberth, but it nevertheless did. The greater puzzle was where all that stuff came from, but Shakune had never had the balls to ask.

"Yer lookin' fer something?" The greeting met Shakune as soon as she stood beyond the door. With a shake of her head, she retrieved the silkily wrapped parcel from between her breasts. Zeke chortled, "oh-ho-ho! Ya got somethin' for me fer once!" He winked and ran a greasy hand through his dirty hair.

Shakune handed him the parcel, and the man readied himself to sign her papers. He was clearly used to her courier service. "I actu'ly got something fer you, too. I need it delivered."

"I'm your woman." She declared confidently, and held out her hands like an expectant kid. It was thus something of a disappointment when Zeke placed a single envelope in her palms. After scanning for the name of a recipient, Shakune glanced up to the scarred-face man with a frown. "There's no name."

Zeke grinned toothily. "Aye, there ain't. I know who it's for, though, and 'e knows he's waitin' on a letter from me. All you'll need t'do is go to the Plantation and deliver it there."

Shakune considered this offer. Her business always focused within the confines of Sunberth -- albeit if those boundaries were loosely defined. She had no issue with delivering to the gangs, but the thought of delivering to them beyond the relative safety of the city was another matter. After peering at the letter for a tick or so, she pursed her lips. "It'll cost ya. Ten mizas. In this weather it'll take me most of the day gettin' there and back."

Zeke guffawed loudly, showering Shakune in a thin rain of spittle. She winced and wiped a globule of saliva off her forehead. "Sod you, then. I'll find some kid who'll do it fer quarter-a that price." But when the man reached out to retrieve the letter from Shakune, she pulled it away and he grinned. "Yer hungry for work, like evry'one. Three mizas."

It wasn't a bad offer: Shakune had little else to do with her time. But her main issue was the terrible weather. "I ain't riskin' my life for less then six. Could crack my head open out there and freeze to death."

"Aye, an' even a thousand miza's won't 'elp you in that case. Three and fifty silvers."

You stubborn old pig. Shakune thought bitterly. She was losing this battle of wills, but wasn't going to go down without a fight. "Ya not gonna get a kid to do it for any less than five. And the little shit might run off with the letter anyways. Y'know I'll always deliver it."

Again Zeke laughed, but fortunately this time Shakune was saved from being rained on with more spit. "Shakune, we both know yer gonna take the three and half, so take the letter and shove it up yer arse."

Her black eyes narrowed. "Four. Last offer. I need the work, but not that badly."

Zeke shook his head, started to turn away, and then snorted loudly. The plegmmy noise made Shakune grimace. "I'm gonna give you four. B'cause I like yer, and ya try."

They shook hands, neither particularly pleased with the deal, but knowing that that was how business could be. Shakune produced her papers again, though this time she noted down who the sender was, who the recipient was (a question mark filled this section), the location of the delivery and finally the price. "I can take half the payment now, half after the delivery. But that costs an extra miza. As an insurance that you'll pay the second half, like." She grinned hopefully at Zeke.

He was less impressed by this suggestion, and shook his head. "They know to be expectin' a black-eyed courier in the next few days. I'll pay the entire fee now, thank ya. If you don't deliver it, someone will be comin' looking for it."

The money was exchanged and the letter given to Shakune, who squirreled it away into her bag. With a final nod to Zeke, she left the Fence jingling to the tune of her new business deal
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Deiverin' the Goods

Postby Jashkataal on February 1st, 2015, 9:52 am

“Heroes know that things must happen when it is time for them to happen. A quest may not simply be abandoned; unicorns may go unrescued for a long time, but not forever; a happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.” ― Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

Shakune
Experience
  • Intimidation +1
  • Investigation +1
  • Negotiation +1
  • Observation +2
  • Organisation +1
  • Persuasion +2
  • Running +1
  • Socialization +4
Lores
  • Cossette Demoya: a Business Woman
  • The scent of Death
  • Doctor Petricious: lover of paprika
  • Zeke: a hard sell
Miscellaneous
  • Add 1gm to your ledger for tip. In the future care about earning sums in threads, I'm not sure if that takes moderation or not.

Fun thread, enjoyed sight seeing of Sunberth. Well done

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to send a PM. Please remember to delete your grade request. The pleasure was all mine.

Regards,
~Jashkataal
Jashkataal
Lovely, Deep and Dark

Words: 22093
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 9:35 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet