Friendship in a Bottle

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Miro on May 23rd, 2014, 4:14 pm

32nd day of Spring, 514 AV

A couple days ago Ender had stolen some money from his master, a pouch of it. He had snagged to hold things, made his way out of the city and gone to the High Spirits Distillery. It was the place to get what the Familiar overheard described as the best alcohol in Sylira. This made him think of Verin, his dear friend. A man who could appreciate a fine drink. So the Irylid made his way across the ferry, along the shoreline, and awkwardly interacted with the people there. This was quite the task for him.

Normally this would seem something common, easily handled, but not for a Fyrdenese. It required shifting forms to be able to associate with people, to carry things, open doors. To spend money, understand societal concepts, act independently, this was a challenge for him. The end result was an expense of 48 gm for a bottle of aged whisky. It was aged forty seasons, apparently being better with age. This seemed a decent deal to the Irylid, though he hadn't any idea how much he had spent, or even the ability to appreciate the liquor.

Today though, it was the day he would deliver this gift, give it to Verin. It would be a sign of friendship, a way to show his appreciation for the man. The Familiar again shifted to his replicant form, that of a young man of obvious Symenestran descent. He carried the bottle in a pack and made his way for the Malt House, Verin's place of work. Ender was eager to see his friend, but had waited to depart. The goal was to catch the man as he was to get off work.

The trip across Ravok was a bit long, for the Irylid did not care for the use of Ravosalas and decided to walk. It was a way to ensure that he was not too early, but there would be issue also if he was too late. The plan for arriving too early was to deliver the gift and seal himself upon the man. If he was late, that was a different story. Perhaps ask Verin's employer of his place of residence, if such a thing was allowed. It was not something he was eager to do. Socially awkward was an understatement for the creature.

With all the Irylid thought to understand of the Mizaharian mind, when put in practice he always came up short. It was likely because so many of the minds examined in depth were those of wizards. Each of them uniquely crazy, it perhaps caused some misunderstanding. This in combination from constantly being subjected to Miro's ways of interaction, it shaped caused a rift in a true understanding of the normal state of a mind. Though perhaps there was some revealed truth in the mind of a wizard.

These were the things that crossed the Familiar's mind as he walked the city. Seeing each person go by, so many of them almost pleasant to be around. Though a few gave harsh looks, they were easily overlooked. He saw potential in them all, and now understood the racism of the city. His form, it was not Human, and that was not normal. To use magic, that was not normal, it shouldn't be done. Finally he arrived at the Malt House, and he could see Verin still inside. Not too late it seemed.

Whether or not still on duty was unknown, but his friend was inside. It mattered not to Ender, he was too eager to meet him. With Miro out of town, things got lonely. The scent of the bar, it was not an enjoyable one. Though it paled in comparison to the stench of the distillery itself. He walked to the bar and reached into the bag. A steady hand pulled forth a sealed bottle, and a genuine smile crept upon his lips. "I got this for you Verin. A bottle of whisky, forty seasons old."

Last edited by Miro on July 10th, 2014, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Verin Rush on May 27th, 2014, 9:32 pm

The day had been a short one, Verin had risen early in order to make an earlier shift at The Malt House. It was unusual for the blond Ravokian to work anything other than later shifts at the well established tavern, but he was not going to question his employer, Grayson Falkes. Obviously one of the other young men would be taking the night shift, and the bells that he had worked so far were not as long as he would normally work.

It was very different work, Verin found, to work in the morning and early afternoon. Yes, there was invariably always someone in the homely tavern drinking, often someone that the bartender could serve, but he found that most of his time today had been spent taking orders for meals, or pouring out a variety of soft drinks for the customers who came in. It was respectable, he thought, and he would not begrudge anyone making his work easier, even if it made it slightly more dull. But he did not enjoy having to repeat the same words over and over again to all who entered.

I’m sorry, Sir, Madam, The Malt House does not have any trout in today. Nor any other kind of fish. We haven’t for some time now… I’m sure that you are well aware how the price of fish has risen substantially in that past season or so.” Verin’s tone was sincere and sympathetic, though he felt anything but that, having repeated the same phrase over and over again, to nigh on everyone entering. Most accepted those words and ordered something else… others fought, as this couple was.

The elder of the Rush twins nodded in all the appropriate moments as the couple rattled on about their desire for fish, and how they had to be given some. His face was trained into an expression of concern for their plight, but in truth, he was drowning the couple out with the loud emptiness that was beginning to occupy his mind. He allowed it to clear, a sense of calm washing over him, and he was ready by the time the couple stopped talking. He met the man’s gaze, as he was the one who was kicking up the most of the fuss. “
The beef we have is exquisite. I think that you might like it…

The man hesitated for a moment, and then nodded. Verin smiled, “
An excellent choice, Sir. And to go with it, might I suggest you each have a glass of the claret?” He to the shelves behind him and picked up a bottle of the red wine, wine that he knew would complement the beef perfectly. Showing it to the couple, the woman asked if they could have the bottle in its entirety, and Verin nodded graciously, “By all means… that will bring total to…fourteen gold mizas, then.” As the man reached into his pocket to get the gold coins, the bartender bent down to pick up two glass vessels for the wine, before picking up the bottle and gently working to uncork it. He set it down on the bar top and accepted the money. “Thank you, the food will be brought out for you shortly.

For a few chimes, when no one came to the bar front, he turned to tidy up the rows of wine and whisky bottles; he was a strong believer in having the establishment look aesthetically pleasing. More chimes passed, until Grayson finally approached him and said that he could go home. The blond considered arguing for a moment, but he thought of how little work he had done, and knew that the barmaids and kitchen girls would handle the slow stream of people without him. Nodding to his employer, he exited The Malt House.

Then, he heard the familiar voice of his most recent acquaintance, and friend, call to him. It had been a while since he had seen the Familiar, and he was surprised at how glad he was to see the odd looking humanoid. “
Ender, my friend. It has been a while… what brings you here?” With an expression of surprise, he accepted the bottle from Ender, and it fleetingly crossed his mind that he had no idea how the Familiar had paid for such an expensive bottle of whisky. “Thank you… this is a most welcome gift.

Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Miro on July 3rd, 2014, 6:12 pm

Ender was eager to give over the bottle to Verin, and the reaction, although somewhat hesitant, was rather pleasant. It was a surprise though, so such a reaction could be somewhat expected. There was some hint of excitement behind all of the surprise. No doubt one would question a dozen things at once when being presented with something nice so suddenly at a random time. It was easy to see why such a thing was done, the look on the Human's face was quite enjoyable.

Yes, it was one that would be remembered, shock. Since the Familiar had last met his friend, well, some things had changed. Ender had changed. He felt different, almost entirely. It seemed, much as it had in the past, his Djed bond had shifted. He felt connected to his master in an entirely new way, so much deeper than ever before. Even now with the distance between the two, their bond was strong enough to leave a connection. But it felt like there was more that had changed.

The Irylid now understood so much more that had eluded him in the past. Epiphany after glorious epiphany had stricken him in the recent days. It was like each day brought with it a new height of understanding. The process had been developing for long, but it was as if something had shifted. This season had been so full of enlightenment the Fyrdenese felt completely new. There was so much new found clarity to be found in everything.

Of these things was social interaction. In the previous encounter with Verin, Ender was quite embarrassingly inept at maintaining a proper social standard. He was awkward, rude and quite naive. After a great amount of reflection and growth he was no longer that same fool. Not only in terms of social capabilities, but in magic too. Before he was quite limited in his scope of understanding, but now so much had become clear.

Verin was an aspiring Hypnotist, one in need of great instruction. Truly this was what prompted such an interaction. It was time that the Irylid could offer his best friend true instruction. For days now he had mused over a lesson plan for Hypnotism, one specifically tailored for Verin. A lesson and a new technique. It was one that the Familiar wished to develop, but needed help. Needed his friend's help with, more specifically.

"I really hope you enjoy that Verin. I have never given a gift before, and I know nothing of whisky, but I was assured that was the best a man could get. I figured if anyone could appreciate such a gift, it was you. But I did not just come to see you for a gift. I have a favor to ask you, and some things that I wish to tell you. You remember what we talked of last time. I have found more to share."

Here was not the place to speak of such things as magic though. A tactful wizard knew to hold such conversation for a more private environment. "This form, I wish to shift, as this shape is somewhat taxing. I do need to hold some reserve, if I am to perform as I have planned. I hope you can manage to fetch a Ravosala to my home without aid from me. I will tell you more when we are alone." The Irylid began to shift form immediately, without regard of who saw him.

Ender's limbs and other features lost color and shape. They became silvery and fluid-like as they rescinded inward to form a sphere that floated above the ground. Once again the creature spoke, but was not quite comfortable in this form. At least not in public where people might see him. "You needn't worry of my favor though, it will be easy. There are a few questions you will know the answer to that I do not that I need to know. Now, if you'll allow me, I'd like to seal myself upon your wrist."

If such a thing was too much to ask, then the Familiar would just continue in his natural form. But he did not think it was much to ask. To merely assume the sealed form of a bracelet upon his friends arm, it was better for the both of them. "All I ask is to become a bracelet upon your arm. Though I will not be able to speak in such a guise. I do not wish to draw attention." This was all so exciting. Verin was truly in for a treat. The technique was a great one.

Last edited by Miro on July 15th, 2014, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Verin Rush on July 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

The gift did please Verin - there was no way that he, a lowly bartender, could afford a full bottle of whisky. Yes, he drank a lot of it, and would buy it with his own money, or, on occasion, he would be given a dram or two at the end of the night when the Malt House had closed. It could never be said that Grayson was not an obliging, kind gentleman, who looked after his employees. Verin only drank ale when he was planning on getting drunk, particularly with his brother. Whisky, whilst a her of a lot stronger was not something he ever drank in excess, preferring to savour each taste, feeling the burn on his tongue and at the back of his throat.

He wondered if Ender had ever tried some, if he could even drink.. would he offend the Familiar if he were to offer some of the fiery liquid for them to share. Maybe when they returned to his accommodations, he would try to broach the topic. He would have asked now, but Ender began speaking, and he decided to listen, intrigues busy what his new friend might say. Polite as ever, it was an exchange of services, though the exchange was definitely biased. "
One day," the young blond decided, "I will find a way to repay this Familiar's naïve kindness and tutelage..." Verin didn't doubt that their friendship would last long enough for him to have enough to offer the strange Irylid.

And then, the human form morphed back into the silvery, reflective sphere that he was only just becoming used to. Surprised at such an overt shift, Verin glanced around to see if anyone had noticed, but was pleased to see that not many were sitting out the front of the tavern, and all were too engrossed in their own conversations to notice. Turning back to look at the floating ball of ice, he returned his attention to what Ender was saying. “
Yes, I believe I know the way to your abode, Ender. But I'm confused... did you come purely to give me this gift, are you leaving...

The Familiar continued and Verin's mouth fell into the perfect "O", and the same sound escaped his lips. There was another form that this creature could take. His eyes went wide in wonder and he nodded his permission dumbly, unable to contain his morbid curiosity at what would happen next. Ender wasted no time in morphing once again, this time into a smaller, cool band, which wrapped it self around his extended wrist. It was an unfamiliar and relatively uncomfortable sensation, he decided as he frowned, one that he wasn't sure he wanted to get used to, as Ender's new form rested snugly against his skin.

But now he understood, Ender would be with him as they made their way back to his apartments, but he was alone in finding the way. Wasting no time, Ender around one arm and the bottle of whisky resting in the other, he quickly hailed a ravosala and asked the man to take them the few chimes down the canals to the building he had visited only once before. The journey was passed in silence, the ravosalamen not engaging in conversation, nor Ender speaking to him, which gave the inexperienced hypnotist the chance to come to terms with the new knowledge about the Familiar. Soon they arrived however, and Verin thanked the driver and excited the low water vessel before ducking into the building Ender had first directed him to. He wasn't sure of how aware Ender was in this form, so he spoke aloud as he ran his index finger along the cool bracelet, “
Ender? We've arrived?

Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Miro on July 15th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Verin was a good partner to have. No, not a partner, a friend. They were not trading favors, instead offering them to a friend in need. This was more than mere mutual benefaction, but instead an enjoyment of the other's presence. At least Ender hoped so. It was nice to have, truly. It was hard for him to leave his friend's wrist, but the Irylid knew he must. What he had to accomplish was important. Miro would need to forgive him for the spent Djed. This was going to benefit him too.

The Familiar broke from Verin's wrist and began to shift into his replicant form. The icy silver form began to shift like liquid in a human-shaped container. When finally the shape was complete the silver shifted to more appropriate colors. A pale skinned and black haired man in dark clothing stood aside Verin, but it would not be the one he recognized as Ender. "Ah, that is so much better." He tested his limbs for a moment with a smirk on his face.

And then it hit him as he looked down at his hand, there was something odd. There was no hair in his face. Not only that, his skin was tight and dry. And that was not the only difference. His hand was bigger, and the claws upon it, they were bigger too, and definitely more sharp. He cast a gaze to the canal beside him to catch the reflection of a handsome man staring back that only he could recognize. This was the face he knew Miro to possess under the Mask of Many. He touched it gently to be sure it was his own.

The only thing that was not different were the clothes he wore. The black robe and pants were the same as ever. This form was definitely more comfortable too, especially with the long hair resting at his shoulders. It felt more stable, powerful in a way, if only for the increase in stature. The Irylid began to laugh a bit. Truly he was a different person than when he met Verin. It was hard for him to understand many things then, but not those things were few.

And though few they were, the Familiar had questions that only a normal Human could answer. This was why Verin's presence was so important today. Ender led the way into the apartment and closed the door behind them. "Alright Verin, now we can begin. I can tell you exactly what we are here for. I am looking to teach you how better to become a Hypnotist, and as well for you to help me become a better one as well."

Last the two were together Ender spoke of techniques that Verin had yet to grasp, the sudden thought and flash, as well as a powerful tool, the trance. Whether or not the Hypnotist had advanced that far was unknown. But the Familiar had advanced in his understanding. He was now capable of techniques beyond those, but was unable to effectively employ them. It would require assistance in the form of insight.

"Verin, I am not Human, I can only pretend to be. It is hard for me to grasp certain things, and in Hypnotism that is the difference between success and failure in manipulation. Allow us to begin things simply. I will begin things by performing a trance upon you. It is a measure of trust, as it will only work on a willing victim. However a tranced person is vulnerable, especially to Hypnotism. It will give me great access to your mind, more than you would consciously allow."

That was the usefulness in the technique, as it weakened the boundaries of the mind, opened it greater exploration. The mind was the gateway to the persona, the layer of the soul where skills and memories were placed, and through it a great many things could be accessed. The trance allowed the gates of the soul to be opened for greater influence. There was so much that could be accomplished through it. Still things that Ender had yet to catch glimpse of.

"The trance works by suspending a person's mind between a conscious and unconscious state. It brings the unconscious parts of the mind to the surface, enough to outweigh much of the conscious effort used to restrain thought. And though the mind plays tricks, and so too do Hypnotists. It is possible to uncover hidden things, to inspire new thought or recover that which has been lost. It is like a door directly to your mind."

"From what I understand, you may find yourself caught in a dream psychosis, not understand what is happening. You may see images, feel things, and most of all, you will hear the Hypnotist's words guiding it all. It as if your will is suppressed and only what remains there is the truth of your mind. Though it is still possible to fight against the will of the Hypnotist, it is hard to triumph. There is not much that can be hidden in that state, if one is willing to look hard enough for it."

Though the Familiar dare not speak of how just as well how much the Hypnotist could impart their own will to condition a target. Nor how helpless one was once the mind was opened. All conscious connection to the body was severed at that point. The trance left a person all but paralyzed. "I will only ask you my questions while you are like this. It will allow me a truthful answer, more honest than you may be able to provide."

Now was likely a good time to explain the plan a bit further. Ender saw a progression of events that would better help both parties understand the magic. It would perhaps also shed some insight into the true nature of Verin. That certainly interested the Irylid. "I find myself capable now of things I was not before. I have the potential to create a brilliant and powerful technique, but I haven't the understanding of people to perform it correctly."

There was a glimpse of a power that the Hypnotist had caught. Just as the emotional response could be reinforced to a surge, the flash could become something more too. Instead of a flash, a still image, an instant, the image could move. An entire scenario could be played out, immerse the mind. And in this combined with a surge of emotion, it would draw in and overwhelm the mind helplessly.

Ender knew just how he would use this technique. Rather than preying on the target, causing them to fight the effect, he would seduce them with it. He would make it appealing, draw them in, have them imagine everything they desired. And in this was where the problem arose. What did a typical Human desire? If there was anyone who seemed normal, it was Verin. And it was the perfect opportunity for both of them to benefit from their friendship.

"I am able to cause the mind to overwhelm with feeling, to cause imagines to overtake their consciousness. This would render any person helpless if they were to give into it. For this reason I would seek to make it the most pleasant and alluring scenario possible. And that is what I need your help to understand. I will only seek to understand what your bliss is. Through this process I will teach you what a Hypnotist is really capable of. Can you help me?"

Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Friendship in a Bottle

Postby Redd on February 15th, 2015, 8:37 am

Hello, your Redd grader here!

As you can see, your grades have now been awarded, because I'm just freakin' awesome. Just a small reminder though, please either delete your request or type in 'graded.' If you feel that I have missed something or if you have a few comments/questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I won't bite... Much.

Verin Rush
XP
  • Hypnotism - +1XP
  • Bartending - +1XP
  • Socialisation - +2XP
  • Observation - +1XP
Lores
  • Bartending: Frustrating at times
  • Ender: Can turn into a bracelet
Miscellaneous
  • Bottle of Whiskey [Forty Seasons Old] | +1 | Given as a gift
A Small Message for You
  • A shame that this did not get finished, it would have been lovely to see how their friendship progressed.

Miro
Send me a message when you return to receive your grade.

Yours Truly,
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes