Solo [The Kabrin Road] The Messenger, Part 1

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Kabrin Road] The Messenger, Part 1

Postby Katelyn Marks on January 15th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Winter, 87th, 514 AV

Katelyn was mucking her horses' stalls in the early morning when a young squire found her, looking shy and uncertain standing there in the doorway as she shoveled manure. She didn't notice him at first, but a tickle on the back of her neck--the sensation of being watched--finally made her turn. She stood from her stooped position and propped her shovel against the wall. Her pony Sebastian chewed hay quietly in the corner, and Garrison watched the two of them quietly from the neighboring stall.

"Can I help you?" she asked when he made no move to speak.

The boy flushed and seemed frustrated. He couldn't have been more than fourteen. Kat was about to ask him again but he finally spoke before she could pry further.

"You're good at riding, aren't you?" the boy questioned uncertainly, taking her off guard.

"Depends on who you ask," she admitted after a short pause.

"I've seen you ride," he retorted confidently, as if that was good enough.

Katelyn frowned and crossed her arms, deciding to ask her initial question again.

"Can I help you?"

She couldn't help but sound a little impatient. The redhead had never been a fan of ambiguity and secrecy. If he wasn't going to get to it she was going to force him to. He seemed flustered and reluctant, but finally he came around to his point.

"My name's Percy. You're Katelyn, right?" She nodded and he continued. "I need someone to take a package to Syliras. A birthday present for my sister. I know it's a big thing to ask of someone. Even from here to the city it's dangerous, but I can pay you for your trouble. I can't find anyone else to take it for me, and my Patron is busy. He says I'm too young to go by myself."

"Whoa, kid," she started, holding up her hands, but he jumped in and interupted her.

"Please! You've got to help me out. She's turning ten, and I won't be there. I made her a sketchbook. She loves to draw and paint, and I learned a thing or two about leather from our grandpa. I have it with me, see?"

Percy wasted no time shrugging off the small pack on his back and opening the drawstring top. He pulled out a book, tall and thin with a simple tooled design on the back and cover. A name was also stamped into the front--Beth. He held it out for Katelyn to take, but after a long pause and finally a reluctant sigh, she took the book from him and gave it a closer examination. It was really a pretty little thing, and seemed to be well made. She flipped through the blank pages that had been stitched together and couldn't help but smile a little.

When Kat looked back at the young Squire his face was hopeful, distraught, and nervous. She sighed again and snapped the book shut with an air of finality, and his face fell.

"Fine, I'll do it," she grumbled, taking him aback.

Percy stared at her a moment before his confused expression melted into an ecstatic smile. He leapt forward and shook her hand vigorously, startling Sebastian but making her smile a little wider.
Last edited by Katelyn Marks on February 5th, 2015, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Messenger, Part 1

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 3rd, 2015, 6:11 pm

She'd instructed him to meet her back at the stalls in two bells time, giving her plenty of time to grab some breakfast and pack. Katelyn rummaged through her headboard trunk for her backpack and spare clothes, which she folded neatly and stored inside the bottom of the bag. One of her winter blankets was already rolled up and lashed to the bottom of her pack, and she gathered the rest of her gear to carry back to the Menagerie. Kat had taken the time to enjoy a large meal before going up to her bunk, and by the time she was back at her stalls her breakfast was settling in her stomach.

She dropped everything on the cobbles and fetched her cavalry saddle with the rest of the tack she needed, as well as her grooming kit. Garrison and Sebastian watched her quietly, excited at the sight of the saddle and brushes.

"Sorry old man," she apologized to her pony as she opened the stall housing the massive Tiaden stallion. "This trip is just me and him."

Garrison greeted her in the doorway, stooping down to sniff her hair as she tied his leadrope to his halter. Kat led him into the aisle and closed the door, then tied him in place so she could prep him for tack. She took a rough bristled brush and scrubbed out any thick bits of manure or dirty that she could see, then more gently brushed the entirety of him to work the looser debris out of his coat.

This she scraped away with a far softer brush, continuously going over him until he gleamed like black steel. His eyes drifted shut while she groomed him. It was one the only times that he was ever what anyone could consider as placid. She stooped by his right front hoof and gave a tug to the fluffy feathering around his fetlocks. He lifted his foot for her and she scraped the debris from his stall from inside until she could see his white line, and gave his frog a cursory examination.

Katelyn did this with each of his large hooves until they were clean and free of muck and dirt. As she set the last one down and rose to stretch her back, Kat heard a throat clear uncertainly. She walked around Garrison's massive flanks to see Percy standing and waiting, his sister's journal clutched in his hands. She smiled at him and he grinned back as she fetched her Tiaden's blanket and threw it over his tall back.

"Where do I take this sketchbook of hers exactly?" Katelyn asked while she picked up her saddle and lifted it up to set it at the base of the stallion's withers.

"You actually don't have to go much farther than the front gates. My uncle Jack said he would be at the Rearing Stallion today and you could take it to him there. He has a big black beard and he's very short. You couldn't miss him."

"And I just hand it over? That's it?"

Percy nodded and Kat tightened Garrison's girth as snug as it would go. She'd have to stop down the road and tighten it some more when he wasn't expanding his belly. She tied the long strap into place and let the stirrup drop back down, then buckled his breast strap across his broad chest. Everything else that wasn't in her pack was secured to the saddle. Her saddlebags then the tent on top of them behind her seat and her bedroll in front of the pommel across Garrison's shoulders.

Katelyn slipped his halter off and replaced it with his large bridle. He opened his mouth for the bit and smacked his lips as it settled into place, and she stuffed the halter and lead into one of the large saddlebags behind her saddle.
Last edited by Katelyn Marks on February 25th, 2015, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Messenger, Part 1

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 4th, 2015, 4:49 am

Percy came forward when Kat finally motioned for him to approach. Garrison watched him sourly, ears flat and gaze baleful. The young Squire hesitated at the stallion's threatening posture, so she held her hand out so he wouldn't have to come any closer.

"Give it here," she ordered gently, and the relief on his face was evident.

Katelyn slipped the sketchbook inside her backpack and swung the sack over her shoulders after she buckled it closed. Everything was accounted for, and she could be on her way. Not everything she was bringing along was absolutely necessary--the tent and bedroll for one, but she'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around. One couldn't predict what might happen on the road. A freak storm could roll in, and then she'd be thankful that she had shelter.

Otherwise Kat would reach the city around nightfall and be safe inside the walls, but she didn't want to rent a room so she'd likely leave while it was still dark and camp on the road. She was still plotting it all out in her head when she saw the young man reach for his coin purse. The redhead shook her head and held up both hands for him to stop.

"Keep your coins, boy. I don't need your money. We don't make any as it is. Save yours. I like to ride, and it feels good doing something for someone. The task to distract me is enough."

He seemed more than a little surprised by her words, and the conflict on his face made her smile.

"You can't be serious," he gasped, and rifled inside the pouch for a handful of mizas.

When he held them out to her she shook her head, stepped into the stirrup on Garrison's left side, and swung up into the seat of her saddle.

"Don't bother. You'll have to chase me down to give me that gold."

The challenge in her eyes and the sharp warning of her tone was enough to stop him from coming toward her. Her Taiden stomped impatiently at the cobbles underfoot, and the sound of his heavy shod hoof striking stone rang with loud finality.

"I'll have this delivered by nightfall," Katelyn told him as she gathered her reins and adjusted her seat.

Percy looked as if he wanted to say something, but as his lips parted to complain she gave Garrison a firm kick and he jumped into a quick trot, stomping past the poor young Squire and out of the Menagerie. He chased after them all the way through the Weir and down the main road to the Gatehouse. She glanced back at him and beamed with devilish delight at his stubborn dedication. He had manners, and he respected honest work deserving pay, but her skull was thicker. It helped that she had a fast horse.

"Sorry kid!" she yelled as her stallion pranced through the main gates of the Outpost and crossed into the wide open farmland on the other side.

He was smiling despite himself by then, and gave a little wave as Katelyn loosened Garrison's reins and gave him his head. He took every inch and automatically broke into a quick lope, forcing her to keep a tight grip lest he gallop headlong down the road in excitement. His heavy hooves thundered on the hard packed earth, and she was glad to see the snow and ice finally gone. It would make for an easier ride. Now that spring was upon them the cold was retreating back to the north, leaving a tolerable chill that was more characteristic to Syliras this time of year.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Messenger, Part 1

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 9th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Katelyn kept her steed in check all the way down to the Kabrin Road, past farmers in the fields and milling animals being tended by shepherds and their dogs. His breath heaved as he tried to move faster, reaching forward with long front legs and clawing the earth in excitement. She sat straight in the saddle, letting her hips rock with his energetic gait. When they finally hit the main road that wound north to the city, Kat released her tight hold on him and with her permission he stretched into an eager gallop.

His long strides ate the ground beneath them, and the speed with which he ran chilled her lungs and froze her face as the winter wind whipper by despite the recent rise in temperatures. Katelyn stooped in the saddle over his withers, leaning into his gallop and half-standing in the stirrups to keep her seat. She let him run as hard as he liked--past flat farmland dotted with threads, up and down dips in the road, and only finally began to slow him down as she glimpsed the sparkle of the Avitar's waters in the distance.

Katelyn reined in her energetic Tiaden, sitting back low in the seat and tipping her heels down as he rumbled down into a quick lope, then a canter and finally a trot. She gave and took pressure on his mouth as he slowed down, not wanting to overwhelm him with the bit or give him cause to outright ignore her command. He seemed content enough to trot now that he'd gotten to stretch his legs. Her stud wasn't the kind of horse who enjoyed being stalled--not at all. He loved to work, to run and stretch his legs and be out and about. Definitely her kind of companion.

As the first of the three fingers of the Avitar appeared before them, they were greeted by one of the old stone bridges that spanned its clear waters. The river was high now at this point of the year, rushing swiftly from the ice melts in the Cobalt Mountains. Katelyn slowed Garrison down to any easy walk as they crossed the worn bridge, and stroked his neck affectionately and reassuringly. His ears swiveled wildly at the sound of the river's rushing current sweeping below the bridge's arches, on its way to the Suvan to mix with the salty sea.

The sound of heavy shod hooves striking stone soon turned back to the rumbling thump of horseshoes on hard-packed earth, and the bridge was behind them. Katelyn nudged Garrison back into an easy trot, and he eagerly hopped into the ground covering gait.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 17th, 2015, 7:18 pm

They had two more fingers of the river to cross, and soon the second came into view. She heard the swift rush of the Avitar again, and dirt turned to stone beneath them as Garrison carried her across the bridge. At the third section of the river, Katelyn reined her stallion to a halt on the road and slid down from the saddle. She took his reins in hand and led him down the bank to the water's edge.

It gurgled loudly as it swept by, dark and icy but refreshing. The redhead braced her legs on the bank, bent slightly at the knees to keep her balance on the uneven slope while her horse dipped his large head to take a long drink. It would be the only chance he had to refresh until nightfall, but she had two full waterskins and if he needed it she could water him with the liquid inside one.

When his head finally lifted from the waters, she led him slowly back up the bank to the road again. It cascaded from his lips as he smacked them in loud satisfaction, and Kat smiled as she stuck a foot in her stirrup and hoisted herself back up into the saddle. He was moving again before she was even seated, and she steered him onward as she positioned her other foot in the opposite stirrup.

It wasn't much farther after that when the last of the farmland surrounding the Outpost gave way to the Bronze Woods. They were about halfway there now, and the sun was high in the sky. She was beginning to descent back down to the far horizon, and it wouldn't be much longer until her lover was visible in the evening sky. Tall trees towered above them and lined the road, thick and wild and imposing. Her skin crawled a little at the sight of the shadows dancing below the heavy branches.

Ever since her brother had died out there, she hadn't been wholly comfortable in the trees. It had gotten easier, but her original love of the outdoors had diminished slightly. She couldn't talk herself into going back out into mountains alone. Katelyn tore her eyes away from the trees and looked back at the Kabrin winding and disappearing around a bend ahead. She stopped when she reached the turn and dismounted again, loosening Garrison's saddle and letting her backpack slip off her shoulders and fall to the brown grass on the side of the road.
Last edited by Katelyn Marks on February 26th, 2015, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 25th, 2015, 3:28 pm

It was here she stopped for lunch. With midday approaching, it wouldn't be too terribly much longer and she would reach Syliras. A couple more bells and the stone towers would appear on the horizon. Katelyn retrieved the food she'd obtained from the kitchens and sat on the cool ground while her Tiaden browsed the treeline for something to snack on. He made a big ruckus shaking branches and crunching dried leaves while the Squire prepared her meal. It was a simple affair, cold yet filling. Since she wouldn't be out long, she didn't bring rations. Instead there was a small loaf of crusty bread, a soft wedge of goat cheese, and a chunk of some sort beef cut.

She took her hunting knife from her boot and carefully cut two thick slices off of the bread, along with two slices of cheese and beef. The rest she bundled neatly back into the scrap of cloth she'd brought them along in, and placed them back in the top of her pack. Katelyn savored the simple meal and took her time eating. She would reach the city before nightfall, so she wasn't worried about time. Garrison was far faster than her little Sebastian. She wasn't used to covering so much ground so quickly. His legs were long, and his stamina was limitless.

Once finished, Kate brushed the crumbs from her lap and unstopped one of her bloated waterskins. She took a long drought of the cold water inside, greedily drinking about a quarter of its contents before sticking the stiff cork back into the skin's mouth. For several chimes afterward the redhead just sat and enjoyed the warming weather. The ground was finally dry, and the chill in the air was nothing like it had been. The grass looked a little greener than it had a week ago, and a few trees were even developing buds now. She could smell spring around her, and she shivered with anticipation.

Finally, she crawled back to her feet with a quiet groan and shouldered her backpack and waterskin. Garrison's head rose from where he lipped and sniffed the ground, and he waited patiently as she approached. Katelyn tightened his cinch again before climbing back into the saddle, and turned her stallion back to the road. She couldn't help but smile at how docile the cranky animal was once he put a few miles under saddle. He plodded almost lazily back up onto the hard-packed earth of the Kabrin, and she let him set the pace for a while, content to enjoy the scenery.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on February 25th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Several bells later, the highest tips of Syliras poked above the trees in the distance. Syna was setting in the west, and the land was awash with golds, pinks, and purples. The forest flanking either side of the road looked a little less threatening in the warm dusky light, and Katelyn felt her energies renewed by the sight of the city. She crested the last hill in the road before it straightened and opened up, and there Syliras crouched by the sea shining in the waning daylight.

The traffic was heavier now--she'd started passing more and more riders and wagons as she grew closer. There was a lot of activity on this stretch of road, and so close to the city people were numerous as they sought shelter inside the walls before night fell.

Katelyn closed the last chunk of distance between the gates at an easy lope, and Garrison's stride ate the road quickly. She rode through the massive doorway behind a small wagon filled with pelts and pulled by a sturdy little pony. The Squire made her way past market stalls and the Welcome Center, seeking the Rearing Stallion where it lay nestled with the other inns and taverns.

The streets were busy but everyone gave Garrison a wide birth, and if they came within reach he stomped, tossed his head threatening with ears pinned back, or even tried to bite. Several foul words were thrown her way, and she blushed a little in embarrassment. She was relieved when they reached the Stallion, and she took her Taiden around back where she tied him up to wait.

Inside the Rearing Stallion was crowded, and the constant hum of voices was louder than she was used to back home. She pressed back against the wall near the door to keep out of way, and scanned the room for Percy's uncle. When she didn't see him at first, her stomach dropped. What am I supposed to do now? she asked herself in frustration, but as her eyes raked the faces of the patrons and searched every corner, she saw a bald head bob between some shoulders. Katelyn saw him for only a moment before he disappeared, but the bushy black beard couldn't belong to anyone else. He was short, too. Shorter than she could have pictured.

As Katelyn surged into the crowd and wove between tables, she found him again and approached from behind. He couldn't be more than five feet and a handful of inches tall. She wasn't exactly used to towering over grown men. Eye level, sure. Shorter than them, yes. But half a foot taller? It was odd. She shrugged her curious surprise off and reached out to his shoulder before he could get away. As her fingers touched his tunic, he whipped around and glared at her, sloshing a little ale from his mug.

"What do you want?" he snapped, and his stale breath made her nose wrinkle.

"Are you Percy's uncle? Jack? I'm delivering his sister's birthday present for him." she said, wasting no time.

He blinked at her, surprised, and finally gave a nod.

"Aye. He sent word that he was looking for someone to bring it over. I honestly didn't think anyone would do it. You really came all the way from the Outpost?"

It was Katelyn's turn to nod, and with it a smile broke across the older man's face. It made him look far less sour. She was surprised how pleasant the expression was on him, and she couldn't help but return it with a lopsided grin of her own. The redhead slipped off her backpack and laid it on a nearby empty table, opened it up, and reached inside for the leather bound sketchbook. Jack peered around her curiously and his smile stretched a little wider when he saw her pull out the book.

"That boy sure has improved. He has talent."

Kate handed the parcel to him and nodded her appreciation.

"I have to say, I was impressed. He seems a very bright young man."

Jack took the sketchbook and flipped through the empty, heavy parchment pages.

"Thank you ma'am for bringing this. I'll be sure his little sister gets it. She's going to be tickled pink."

"I was happy to bring it," she said. "I wanted the fresh air anyway, and my horse needed the exercise."

"He paid you for your services I assume?" the older man asked, and Katelyn nodded.

"Of course," she lied simply. "He's a well-mannered young man. Respects an honest pay for honest work."

Jack nodded, and they shook hands.

"Care for a drink?" he asked, but Kate shook her head.

"Honestly, I'm going to head back. I didn't plan on staying, and packed for an overnight on the road. But thank you."

He looked surprised, but didn't try to sway her otherwise. It wouldn't be his place to urge her to stay. She was grown woman, and she'd do as she wished. That didn't mean he didn't think she was stupid for it though.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayana on March 21st, 2015, 12:18 pm

Your Grades Have Arrived

Katelyn

Skills:
Skill EXP
Animal Husbandry +3
Socialization +4
Observation +5
Planning +3
Organization +1
Horsemanship +2
Riding: Horse +5
Negotiation +1
Land Navigation +4
Wilderness Survival +1
Cooking +1

Lores:
  • Planning: Packing for a 2-day trip
  • Planning: Having a Plan B
  • Wilderness Survival: Fill up waterskins at rivers
  • Cooking: Making a sandwich
  • Socialization: A white lie
  • Land Navigation: The road from Mithryn Outpost to Syliras

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+4 Helping a Citizen

Total: +4 Shield Points

Comments :
That was a lovely thread to read. Something about your writing style made it a really easy read. Anyways, great work and there were a lot of points packed into the thread.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)