[Antinous Training Grounds] Tempering the Huntsman

Lorden Practices the Art of the Shortbow

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 12:06 am

78 of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden took a labored breath, as his chest tightened anxiously around the beating organ held within it. With uncertainty in his azure eyes, the knight starred on at the hay bale target, that held fast to the ground, not thirty feet away from where he stood. With fear-laced eagerness, the novice bowman withdrew one of the long-pointed poles, that hung in the leather quiver latched at his side. Carefully, the knight brought the arrow and his right hand up to his borrowed shortbow, before nocking said wooden projectile with trepidation.

Lorden shuffled his feet. The knight breathed out a dissatisfied breath, as he looked down from his dark brown bow. Slowly and inexpertly, the black-haired trainee gazed at his own legs, as he tried to move the limbs, into what he remembered of the correct shooting stance. His left and right legs lumbered around sluggishly, before distancing themselves a little more than shoulder width apart. Lorden looked down at his separated knees for a moment, getting an urging suspicion as he did so. Slowly, the knight shuffled his feet so that his dominant leg was behind him and out to the right, whereas his left leg was left to support and balance his front.

If you stand too square with a sword, you'll get stabbed, Lorden thought, feeling and observing his new positioning.

With a bow, might be, that I just get shot, shivering at the thought, the knight couldn't help but let his eyes drift, to the pointed barb of his own nocked arrow. The blue-eyed man made a face of disdain, before moving his arm to grip the back of his bow. Lorden allowed his thin features to sink back to their natural state, and with shuffling and uncoordinated fingers, the knight moved his hand to grip his shortbow's twined, tan, bowstring.

The knight attempted to pull the bow back, only to have his fingers cry out for reprieve, as he reached but a half-draw. With gritted teeth, Lorden relaxed his arm, and allowed the arrow to settle back forward slowly. Inquisitively, and somewhat embarrassed, the raven-haired youth glanced around to make sure no one was looking, before redirecting his eyes to where his fingers gripped the bow. With a methodical mindset, the blue-eyed knight, noted how his fingers, gripped the bowstring, at the phalanges respective bends.

Holding in a tarried breath, the knight gave the bowstring another tug. Pulling back, to about half of a half-draw, Lorden felt with discomfort, how the blood began to pound at his grasping phalanges; and how the pull of the string started easily enough, before becoming near impossible rather quickly, and quite strenuous on the wrist as well.

With squinted eyes, Lorden once more allowed the bowstring to slink into an idle state. The knight moved his dominant hand from the bowstring, pulling the arrow that sat nocked on it away from the bow as well. Lorden returned the arrow to it's quiver hesitantly, and, once it was back in it's leather container, began to lift his hand up, with it's palm turned to his face. Slowly, the knight straightened his legs, and pulled himself from his shooting stance.

Lorden looked on at his whitened right hand, and began to rub his thumb along the slightly raw bends in it's fingers. Curiously, the knight bent the tips of his phalangers in, one after another, to touch the pad of his inquisitive thumb. Feeling their soft padded skin, Lorden starred on at his finger tips, with squinted eyes. Slowly, the knight lowered his dominant hand, and began inching it towards his hanging quiver.

Withdrawing yet another arrow, Lorden brought the wooden shaft up and to the side, before nocking it once more on the waiting bow, that he held in his non-dominant hand's grasp. As the the veins of the arrow began to slid in close to the bowstring, Lorden shuffled his limbs and torso back into their former stance. This time, as his fingers hooked up behind his arrow as it nocked, the knight touched the pads of their tips to the bowstring, rather than wrapping them around it at their bends. The knight took a stilled breath, as the world around him began to slow.

Lorden began to pull back from his elbow, noting how the effort still increased as he applied pressure, but was bearable. Once the arrow was as far back as he could get it, the knight lifted the bow to his face. Just barely able to keep the wooden-shaft nocked, as he drew the bowstring back, the novice-bowman brought the bow up, to point at the circular target that was before him. His heart lept a beat, as his fingers slid away from the rope they grasped.

The sound of something possessed of great speed, slamming against impenetrable stone, rung out across the roof, before echoing into the tangerine-colored, late-afternoon sky.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Words: 178541
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2015, 1:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 3:01 am

78th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden let a knowing rush of air roll from his lungs, as his arrow flew from his bow, and roared past the entire general area, of where he had been aiming. Unruffled, as he was relieved to have at least gotten a shot out of this draw, the knight quickly withdrew another arrow from his quiver. Before he could nock the bow, however, a yelping sound from behind caught him somewhat unaware. Lorden glanced behind, and over his shoulder, to where a growling white beast stood.

"Down Sarorus, just an arrow hitting the wall," as Lorden spoke, the dog titled his head, but still continued growling lightly. The knight glanced around.

Maybe something simpler, Lorden thought, figuring he couldn't have everyone thinking there was a rabid deerstalker, up on the roof.

"I said down boy," as Lorden locked eyes with Sarorus, the dog slowly allowed his throaty rumble to fade off into the surrounding air, and as his owner continued to drill his blue orbs into the dog's own eyes, the white hound reluctantly folded his legs to the ground.

Moving his head to look forward once more, contently, the novice bowman replanted his feet; his bow's bowstring vibrating familiarly, as he firmly nocked another arrow on to the twined cord. Lorden took a deep breath, and moved his finger pads to touch upon the hemp bowstring.

"Try leaning your back down a bit, Squire," a shot of alarm tingled up Lorden's unarmored spine, as the unexpected syllables drifted into his ears. The knight raised his eyebrows a bit, but did not move himself to glance around this time, rather, he began to pull back his bow's string once more, as the voice had stalled his draw.

Just a child and his patron training. Nothing to worry about, the knight almost found himself smirking at his unneeded alarm, as his elbow came to pull slightly behind his head.

"Are you listening to me?" Lorden could have sworn the familiar voice was right behind him this time, as he tried to ignore the words and line his arrow shaft up, to aim at the hay bale.

"Squire?" the knight saw leather-clad movement, out of the corner of his eye, as the irritation-tinged words; which were definitely aimed at him, he realized; assaulted his ears. His own calm beginning to misplace itself, Lorden released his arrow. Slowly, the knight raised up from his impromptu stance, and turned to face the source of the unrelenting words.

"What?" Lorden said, not even bothering to track the path of his released projectile, and just barely managing to keep his words acceptably friendly. As he spoke, the man took in the woman before him.

Maybe I should have been more courteous, Lorden thought, as his eyes rolled over the raven-haired form that now stood to face him. The woman was squinting somewhat, the knight noticed.

"I hope you weren't ignoring me, Squire...," the woman trailed her words off, as if to imply she expected his name.

There's that word again, Lorden thought, realizing with a bit of annoyance, that the person before him, had called him 'squire' at least three times already. Doing his best to remain calm, the swordsman tried to lace his throat with an obliging tone, as words began to form themselves on his lips.

"Ser Laden Ladis ma'am," Lorden punctually emphasized his knightly title, as he spoke.

Hopefully, that'll get it through her head, and I can get back to shooting, the knight mused to himself in a slightly uninterested manner.

"Good gods, you're a knight? You'll need my help more than I thought," Lorden's eye's widened at the woman's 'prideful' statement. It had yet to even occur to him, as to why she had refereed to him, as someone of lower station. Now that he knew however, his face began to darken and redden simultaneously.

"And who's help do I need, exactly...?" the knight was certainly having trouble masking his irritation now, as the questioning words flooded from his mouth.

"I'm a weaponsmaster, knight, the judge and jury on these grounds," the woman asserted her position firmly enough, yet no real animosity laced her tone as she spoke. Lorden found himself a bit uncomfortable, with her accepting attitude.

"So you mean to 'help' me then," the knight stated, finally wrapping his head around why he was behind disturbed; and feeling a bit daft, in his slowness to do just that.

"If you'd listen, then aye, I do," the raven-haired weaponsmaster looked Lorden up and down as she spoke, something the knight didn't miss taking notice of; or being slightly intimidated by. A sigh all but visible in his eyes, Lorden gave in to the woman's demands.

"I'm... willing to learn," he assured the woman somewhat dryly. As he spoke, the brown-eyed instructor granted him a victorious, and momentary smirk.

"Then drop back into that stance of your's, I didn't really get a good enough look at it," the woman both ordered and admitted. For a moment Lorden locked his eyes with the weaponsmaster inquisitively, before slowly turning back to face the hay bale target, that was situated not far from the two knights.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on March 20th, 2015, 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 3:53 am

78th of Winter, 514 AV

"Alright, try loosing a shaft for me," the woman said, taking in the knight's every movement, as Lorden set himself in his best archery stance. Slowly, the black haired man, reached down to the quiver that hung at his belt, and just as reluctantly he drew a single wooden shaft from its depths.

Lorden self-consciously nocked his arrow, but couldn't help but shifting his eyes to the woman that stood at his left. The look didn't get past the assessing weaponsmaster, and as Lorden's eyes drifted to the left, her own brown orbs were there to meet them. The raven-haired woman, disapprovingly tilted her head towards the hay target.

Alright, no guidance then, that's fine, Lorden pessimistically thought to himself, as he glanced back to the supposed target. Taking a breath, the knight drove back his bowstring with the pads of his fingers, and his elbow. Exhaling Lorden sprung his phalanges from around his nocked arrow.

The arrow loosed like a lighting bolt, as it skipped past it's target in a familiar manner.

If she insists on teaching me, I wish she actually would, Lorden thought to himself, a bit aggravated over his failure, as he now had a bit of an audience. With his thoughts already on her, shortly after watching the failed flight of his loosed shaft, the knight glanced up at the weaponsmaster once more. Obligingly, the woman apparently noticed this guidance-seeking action, and began to speak, a self-content smile framing itself on her face.

"Your feet are set wrong, try angling the right to point at the target," the woman commanded. As the words entered his ears, Lorden mindfully shifted both feet to point at the hay bale. The weaponsmaster shook her head in disapproval.

"Only the front one, the back legs is solely to keep you from falling over," the black haired woman set her left leg out, and angled it's twin back and to the right. Now in something similar to Lorden's own stance, the weaponsmaster locked eyes with the knight, and looked down at her own feet, before slightly tilting her left foot to face the air in front of it. Meanwhile, the woman bent her back forward. As Lorden readjusted hid rear foot to mimic the weaponsmaster, she continued critiquing him.

"Fine. Now, you also want to lean forward a bit, almost like you're shifting towards where you want the arrow to let fly," as the woman spoke, Lorden ruffled his brow a bit. Shrugging mentally, the knight did his best to copy the position of the woman's upper body.

"Go ahead and shoot another one," the brown-eyed weaponsmaster instructed, as she stood up suddenly. Looking away from the rising woman, Lorden drew another arrow.

Taking a taxed breath, the knight nocked his arrow once more, and drew his bowstring back familiarly. Feeling a bit more relaxed, Lorden quickly released his arrow. Only to grit his teeth, as the wooden shaft, once again shot past where he was aiming. The knight closed his eyes to calm himself, for a moment.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on March 20th, 2015, 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 4:22 am

78th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden popped open his eyes, and glanced up from the distant hay bale.

"Ma'am, we can both see it's not working," Lorden said in a negotiating manner, referring to everything the woman was pressing upon him.

Maybe I can get her to leave, I might be better off that way, the knight thought to himself, his mind drifting in conjunction with his tongue.

"Do you even take the time to aim?" the weaponsmaster asked of Lorden inquisitively, seemingly ignoring his underhanded suggestion that she kindly leave. The knight raised an eyebrow.

"Well of course I ai-," Lorden stopped, had he really just been letting the arrows fly without aiming?

"I look at the target," the knight offered somewhat weakly.

"I'm willing to bet, that you just hold the bow up in line with whatever you're shooting, hoping it somehow hits it," the woman spoke not with accusation or disapproval in her tone, but in a blunt matter of fact manner.

Lorden starred at the woman inquisitively, not quite knowing what to say.

"Back in your stance, I want to see another shot," as the woman spoke, a somewhat dumbfounded Lorden moved to comply.

The knight took a breath, drew, an arrow, and nocked it. Slowly, Lorden went through the process that was becoming all too familiar. This time, the novice bowman was intent on aiming. Before the black haired knight, could begin to sight in his shot, or even draw back his bow, however, a voice interjected itself, stalling his movements.

"Stop," the weaponsmaster commanded.

"I can't in good conscious let you aim like that," as his instructor spoke, Lorden starred on at his hands curiously. He didn't have to wait long, however, to have his questions answered.

"Tilt you're left hand to the right a bit," Lorden was quick to follow the woman's instructions, if only to get through them a bit quicker. Upon hearing her words, the knight bent his hand, and the bow grasped therein it, to his right-hand side at about a forty-five degree angle.

"Alright, loose another," the woman withdrew her order to halt, as she watched her pupil comply with her requests.

Lorden drew his bowstring back in accordance with his instructor's wishes, his arm aching from the repetitions of just that same act. Slowly, the knight shifted his blue eyes downrange.

"Don't forget to aim down the shaft," the woman to his left commanded.

Lorden took a breath, noting but not responding to the weaponsmaster's apparently good-natured nagging. The knight did, however, move his eyes from the downrange hay bale, to the length of his nocked arrow. Starring at the target, and looking down his arrow, Lorden blew air through a pair of puckered lips, as he slid his fingers once more from the bowstring. A bead of sweat rolled down the archer's forehead as he fired off the projectile. And with the sudden sound of penetration a tick later, Lorden's eyes grew wide.

"I'd say it all worked. How about you?" the raven haired weaponsmaster proclaimed, as Lorden looked up to her, a sudden appreciation in his azure eyes.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on March 20th, 2015, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 5:02 am

78th of Winter, 514 AV

Ser Lorden let fly yet another arrow, watching it shoot past his target. There was no gritting of the teeth as he missed, however, for when he looked on at the hay bale, and saw the arrow miss, he also caught sight of the respectable number of wooden shafts, that were protruding from it.

"Much better. It usually doesn't take long for a novice to grasp the basics, once he has had a decent teacher," the weaponmaster encouraged Lorden, in her own way. The knight framed a somewhat conflicted look on his face, as he heard the woman's words, not quite sure about being called out on being a 'novice'.

"I have had a decent teacher. I'll admit that much," Lorden reciprocated the woman's odd way of phrasing things, by emphasizing the word 'decent', in a good-hearted manner. Truly, the weaponmaster had improved his form greatly, but she was somewhat of an unrelenting woman. Despite his emphasized reply, his brown eyed instructor smirked nonetheless, before opening her red-lipped mouth once more.

"We're almost done for the day. I do want to see one more shot, though, just to make sure you're sweating," as she spoke, Lorden did his best to hide a smile.

That's the second time I've heard anything like a joke from her, I must be growing on her, the knight mused jovially, before returning his attentions to his shortbow.

Lorden inhaled in a careful manner, as he slowly drew an arrow from his quiver.

My last shot, I'm going to make it count, Lorden spurred on his determination, as he sped his arm, into the task of nocking his bow.

As the knight strung the wooden arrow he held, on to his borrowed practice bow, it's bowstring vibrated slightly. Exhaling, the knight forced his involuntarily flexing bicep to draw back the hemp cord. As he drew the arrow backwards, a voice that had become familiar and commonplace, in only a day's time, chimed in as it routinely did.

"Remember, use your mouth as your draw point. Release your arrow, only as your fingers hover beside your puckering lips," the brown-eyed weaponmaster reminded.

With sweat coalescing into his reddened eyes, Lorden aimed through the burn of his salty excretions, and starred down the shaft of his arrow. The knight puckered his lips, and began to blow, as the back of his arrow crept out of the corner of his eye.

The arrow ripped the air, wheeling and sprinting straight and true, as it flew. And with a loud reverberation, it bounced off the stone wall of the training grounds.

"Feel free to come back anytime," the raven haired woman on Lorden's left commented. Slowly the knight rose from his firing position, his sore legs unfolding and unbending gratefully.

"I might need your help, more than I thought," Lorden admitted coyly.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Balian Martell on March 18th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Lorden

Skills:
  • Weapon: Shortbow: +3 exp
  • Endurance: +2 XP
  • Observation: +2 XP

Lores:
  • Standing Square with a bow will get me shot.
  • Pulling the bowstring: use the pads not the bends
  • WeaponMasters: Judge and Jury of the training Grounds
  • Aiming: Look down the shaft
  • Lorden: Novice Archer
  • Using a bow: still much to learn.

Shield Points:
  • Training: +3

Notes :
Really enjoyable thread! I like how you kept true to your skill points, and I enjoyed the little back and forth you had with the WeaponsMaster!

If you've got concerns, just shoot me a pm.
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal