Completed [The Temple] Questions of Faith (Solo)

Orin seeks out answers to the nature of the gods and goddesses

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Temple] Questions of Faith (Solo)

Postby Orin Fenix on February 27th, 2015, 2:01 pm

81st of Winter, 514AV

Orin pushed open the doors to the temple cautiously. His thoughts had been troubled recently. And though Orin didn’t think of himself as a particularly religious individual, many others found solace in the gods. And his thoughts had been trending in this direction more often than not these days. For some reason Orin couldn’t fathom, he’d been feeling a lack in his life recently. Orin wasn’t sure exactly what it was, just that he was without direction or purpose in so many ways. Orin had this strange idea in his head that if he had a god or a goddess not necessarily telling Orin what to do, but maybe guiding his footsteps. Somehow Orin had gotten the notion in his mind that it would all slip into place then.

So, he was here in The Temple of All Gods trying to find answers for this crisis of faith. Orin let the door ease shut behind him, not wanting to disturb the peace and serenity. To Orin’s eyes, the place looked empty, at least after a cursory glance. The high stone ceilings and the wooden pews made a pretty picture, especially in the colored light being filtered through the stained glass windows. Orin simply stood there and took in the image for a moment. Orin didn’t see any particular altar or monument for any specific deity, not that Orin would recognize them if they were there. And since there were tucked away nooks and crannies that Orin couldn’t see from here, perhaps there were chapels and such to specific gods and goddesses and they just weren’t inside the main room.

Orin took slow steps. It seemed that running would be almost blasphemous in some strange way. So, as he worked his way to the front he kept his pace respectful, as if in fear that someone or something would smite him for his impertinence. When he reached the front, he sat on the pew there and let the atmosphere of the place fill his thoughts. He took a moment to admire the masterful stonework before bowing his head in prayer.

Until Orin realized that he had no idea who or what he was praying to. He knew of some gods and goddesses, some at least. Syna and Leth, the sun and moon, Dira of death and Kihala of life, Caiyha of nature, and Cheva of relationships, all those major deities were in Orin’s mind at some time or another. But Orin personally didn’t have a close relationship with any of them. Or, at least, Orin didn’t think he did. It was frustrating, knowing that so many people were so assured in where they were going in life and what they wanted. They didn’t have these questions of self-worth or just plain questions of self. Yet, here Orin was, sitting in a temple unable to pray because Orin didn’t know what he believed in. Groaning, Orin leaned back until he hit the back of the pew. This was pathetic.

A hand fell on Orin’s shoulder and a voice spoke out behind him. ”Perhaps I could be of some assistance. Morian Devan at your service.” Orin scrambled to his feet. The man before him was totally unassuming. His green eyes, untrimmed beard and sackcloth robe all combined to create the image of someone who didn’t care how he looked, having more important issues on his mind. When Orin was standing, he discovered the man was just slightly shorter than Orin himself. ”I’m so sorry, Master Devan, I didn’t mean to disturb you! I-I-I’ll be going now, I think, lots to do, busy day.”

Morian chuckled, the sound coming out low and throaty. He placed a hand on Orin’s chest when Orin tried to depart, then guided him to sit in the pew again, while Morian sat beside him. ”I am not at all disturbed, son, except by your state of anxiety. Please, tell me what troubles your mind. It’s my job, after all to help souls in need of guidance. Also, what’s your name sir.” Orin took a calming breath. Apparently Morian was well used to Orin’s situation. And if he worked here at the temple, maybe he could help Orin through this odd mental state. ”I’m Orin Fenix. I’m here because, well, I don’t know exactly why I here. I guess I’m just lost, or directionless and, it sounds silly now but I thought somehow by coming here I would have an epiphany of some kind.” It sounded more than silly, it sounded downright idiotic.

Morian, though, smiled. Apparently petitioners such as Orin were not uncommon, or, at least Morina had encountered them before. ”Not silly at all. Many have come here seeking wisdom just as you. I’d be happy to help you, but first, tell me about yourself.” Orin frowned. He didn’t know where to start. He guessed the basics would do. ”Well, I’m ah the assistant chef down at The Rearing Stallion. I love food, everything about it, so it’s good that I get to cook. Beyond that, well I don’t know. I know I’m not the strongest or the smartest or the fastest, but I try to be a good person. I don’t have a lot of friends but those I have I’m fiercely loyal to. I try not to ever see the bad in people but I don’t always succeed. I’m working on that though. I try and stick to my convictions and my morals. I don’t really know what else to say.” Orin glanced at Morian out of the corner of his eye. The man seemed deep in thought.
Last edited by Orin Fenix on March 18th, 2015, 2:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 15th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Morian said nothing for a long time. When he finally spoke, it was with a meditative, brooding tone. ”You know, the gods and goddesses are not so easily understood by mere mortals. That goes without saying, of course. But, still it is often hard to label their motivations as truly good or truly evil, because they not only think in terms of eternity and not mortal lives, they also have such broad spheres of influence that our minds simply cannot handle the scope. That is not to say they are completely unfathomable, just that we must be careful not to try and place them in neat little boxes. They are far too complicated for that.” Orin nodded cautiously. None of this was anything new for Orin, but it was a way of thinking about the world that Orin had never tried before. And as he tried to twist his brain around it, Orin found that it made an odd sort of sense. After all, gods and goddesses had so much more to worry about than the lives of one individual. They had to think of the world and their mark upon it on a much grander scale. So, Orin nodded cautiously. Nothing stood out to him as ringing false or true.

Morian, seeing his acceptance of these words, smiled. It was a sly smile, one that hinted at secrets beyond Orin’s comprehension, but not in a malevolent way. It reminded Orin of being a child again, being lectured on the world. But, unlike those long ago days, Morian didn’t seem to be belittling Orin’s intelligence or trying to use his position as the person with knowledge to further his own standing. Morian simply seemed to recognize that too much information, in this case, would be a mistake. It would flood Orin’s brain and just send him spiraling into confusion. So, Morian was taking his lessons in the religions of the worlds and the intricacies of the heavens, and Orin was incredibly grateful for that. Anything would have been welcome, and to have a caring teacher who truly wished for Orin to learn was a blessing.

Morian gave Orin a few chimes to fully digest the information he’d thrown at Orin before continuing. ”Now, when I mentioned there was no evil, I wasn’t being entirely honest. Rhysol is evil, pure and simple, but he is also chaos. And while we live in the city of peace and order and civilization, all grnad ideals and good for the people, if there wasn’t even a little chaos in the world, we would stagnate. So, while I may not like it or accept it, minute and controlled chaos, if such a thing exists, isn’t amiss. Chaos in moderation I suppose I should say.” Orin was shocked. Hearing someone admit that chaos had a place in the world and that Rhysol wasn’t completely bad was so far from what Orin had been led to believe that it seemed blasphemous. But still, Morian’s words made sense and Orin couldn’t necessarily say he disagreed with them. As Morian himself had stated, Orin didn’t have to like something for it to be true. It left a sour taste in Orin’s mouth. Morian, seeing his inner turmoil, placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. ”I don’t say this to alarm you, Orin. I just want you to be aware that while most people blithely divide the divine beings into light and dark, good and evil, it’s never that simple. Think of it like this: too much sun will kill a plant just as easily as no plant at all. So, there’s a careful balance.”

That imagery was something Orin knew to be true. Droughts and floods brought equal danger to crops. Yet, to think that what Orin had known to be truth, that there was pure good and pure evil in this world and that he had to watch out for the evil, might not entirely be the case was frankly overwhelming. Orin rubbed his temples, feeling the onset of a headache. Watching this motion Morian seemed content to let Orin process what had already been declared. While Orin was loath to admit it, it did seem to be true that there were many shades of gray in the world. After all, Orin had been harmed many times by those that styled themselves as good people. The farmers at Mithryn, Orin’s own father and numerous others, all had been decent folk who tried to do their best by others and make the most of their lot. Still, they had problems and didn’t always succeed in making the right decision. Orin, though, had forgiven them, perhaps instinctively knowing that when they hurt Orin, they either hadn’t meant too, didn’t realize what they had done, or were simply taking out their frustrations about an unkind world on the person they could. Despite all that, Orin was still optimistic that people were generally good at heart. Even all the evidence to the contrary couldn’t sway that belief of his.

Orin turned slightly so his chest and face were square against Morian’s. One hand draped over the back of the pew, Orin responded. ”You’ve given me a lot to think about but I’m cautiously going to agree with it. But, I guess, well, I still don’t know who I should believe in. Can you answer that for me?” It felt even more important now that Orin choose his faith with care. If nothing was clear cut, then it meant that Orin’s choice of which deity he threw his support behind could actually make a difference and have far-reaching consequences.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 15th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Morian chuckled and shook his head. ”Oh if only it were that simple! No I’m afraid I cannot tell you who you should believe in, or how you should even show your devotion and piety. What I can do, though, is guide your steps as you discover that answer for yourself.” Morian stood up and gestured for Orin to follow. Orin swallowed, but sprang up, coming to stand beside Morian’s right shoulder. They started making a slow circuit of the outer walls of the temple. ”Now, again, these are simply suggestions. I do not want you to blindly accept my advice in this matter. If you do, I have failed my duties and you will be doing yourself a disservice. Promise me that.”

Orin felt that this was quickly becoming a much heavier discussion than before, if that was at all possible. Orin nodded though and placed one hand over his heart. ”I promise. And I promise I will not make this decision lightly, either.” Pleased with his response, Morian grinned and nodded. ”Good! Now, based on what little you’ve told me about yourself and what little I’ve seen, here are my thoughts. On a purely surface level, there are gods and goddesses that would seem to fit your profession, if nothing else. Bala, for instance, goddess of Autumn and of the harvest, is a goddess who lives and breathes for those who make their living by food. Mostly farmers, but anyone who survives off of what is grown by the land is precious to her.”

“Izurdin is another who looks after those who work with their hands. His powers are over the realm of industry, but he also supports those of strength and those who show patience. And Xyna likes anyone who likes money, commerce and trade. I guess I should also throw Eywaat into that mix. He’s mainly the god of birds but also those who show ingenuity when they’re plying their trade. He loves clever people and those who think of out of the box solutions to problems.”

Morian paused both his recounting of the gods and his walk and Orin stopped with him. Orin didn’t know quite what to think. Of those gods, he didn’t really feel a strong inclination to any of them. Xyna was probably not the right choice. Orin didn’t particularly care that much about making a profit. He did his work because he loved it not because of the money he could make of it. In fact, if all Orin truly cared about was the wage he’d definitely picked the wrong profession. Cooks made a pittance when all was said and done. Orin just need enough to live off of, and nothing more. Izurdin sounded promising, but then Orin looked at his hands. He was far from strong and while he was relatively patient, he also had a temper that came out at the most inopportune times. Somehow, Orin got the feeling that those traits wouldn’t exactly endear him to the god. So that left Bala and Eywaat. Both of them seemed like they would approve of Orin and Orin felt he would find himself happy to support them and have their support. Of course, Orin would have to do a lot more research on what, exactly, their nature was. And he also spared a moment to wonder idly how Eywaat would feel about chickens, or, mote importantly, poultry dishes in general. Orin was always kind to birds and when he had to kill one for his consumption, he made sure it was quick and painless.

Taking a step forward, Orin signaled that he was ready to resume his introduction to the world of the divine. Morian caught up, and resumed where he had left off. ”Now, as I said, those were all gods whom you might wish to honor based solely off of your work. But most people are much more than just what they do for a living. And, based off what little I know of you and from what you mentioned earlier, I think you would do well to look into Syna and Priskil. Syna is the sun, as I’m sure you know, but she is so much more than that. She represents sight, joy, and energy as well, and she cares for those who care for others. As does Priskil.

Morian smiled and Orin got the sense that this was the goddess that Morian had decided would be the best for Orin, even though Morian had said that Orin must decide for himself. ”Priskil’s tale is a sad one, but one that brought out the true strength of character within her even as it broke her heart. During the Valterrian, legend has it that her lover, Aquiras, had his heart stolen by Sagallius, who used it to ascend to godhood himself. Though most would have caved, Priskil instead shouldered the burden and stood tall under it. Despite being only the goddess of radiance and light then, her silent and unending defense of Aquiras and her undying belief that she could save her husband turned her soft light into something much harder. It also turned her into a sentinel for the people and made her beloved among many. Through her lonely quest, she became known as, and eventually embraced, the goddess of hope and vigilance.

Orin was shocked to find that they were waiting by the entrance, having made a complete circuit around the temple. And he felt his heart go out to that solitary figure standing watch over her fallen love. Orin knew more than his fair share of hardship but he truly believed that, like Priskil, he had come out of it stronger and a better person. And through it all, Orin hadn’t let his optimism fade, even if it was now tinged with reality. Morian pushed him gently to the door. ”Unfortunately I must attend to other tasks, but I think you have more than enough to think about now. And, as you know, this door and by extension, me, are always open. Morian turned and walked back into the temple while Orin stammered out a thanks. Leaving, Orin blinked in the sudden sunlight. As his eyes adjusted and he made his way through the crowds, Orin did, indeed, have a lot on his mind.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on April 5th, 2015, 2:21 am

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Orin
Skills
➢ Observation +2
➢ Interrogation +1
➢ Socialization +2
➢ Rhetoric +1
➢ Philosophy +2

Lores
➢ Location: The Temple of All Gods
➢ Morian Devan: Temple Caretaker
➢ Rhysol: God of Evil and Chaos
➢ Bala: Goddess of Harvest and Autumn
➢ Izurdin: God of Strength, Patience, and Industry
➢ Xyna: Goddess of Money, Trade, and Commerce
➢ Eywaat: God of Birds and Ingenuity
➢ Syna: Goddess of Sun, Sight, Joy, and Energy
➢ Priskil: Goddess of Radiance, Hope, Vigilance, and Light
➢ Priskil: Legend of Origin
➢ Gods: The Good, the Bad, the Neutral

Comments: A wonderful thread as usual. Seems like it was my turn to award a long list of lores! Keep up the good work.

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)