Open The Road Ahead

Voss gets his first taste of Riverfall, trying to determine if it is what he expected or not...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Road Ahead

Postby Lynx on September 15th, 2014, 8:29 am

A high pitched whistle reached her ears and before she could command her dogs to stay, the pair of silkena dogs launched forwards, kicking up sand with their paws as they galloped forwards. Their tongues had fallen out the side of their maws as they ran, their ears flickering back so then to limit the air that would rush into them. Lynx rolled back onto the balls of her feet as a gentle sigh caressed her lips, her violet hues watching the dogs as they ran over along the beach. They were very energetic dogs and Lynx did not mind too much except for when a simple stranger could call to them. Perhaps they had gone because the male that had called to them using a high pitched whistle, had been a dog of some kind only moments before, a fact that did make the woman curious herself. She glanced at the rest of the group, the center male seeming to be the leader of sorts as he appeared to be more willing to talk.

Pressing her lips together, she finally relented to the curiousity that ate away at her, besides, it was either yell at her dogs from all the way back here, or go to them and command them to heel. If she went to the group to collect her dogs, she could probably actually find out something about them, perhaps learn as to what they were. She might even be able to find out as to what that dog man was and maybe be able to gain knowledge as to whether there were more like him. She knew that there were more of this water type race because they were still surfacing and it seemed like most of them had, although, she knew very well just how the surface of the water could hide beings underneath. A shiver worked its way down her spine at this memory, no she did not enjoy swimming, in fact, she preferred to stay away from the water. Sometimes, she was even amazed that she was able to swim to shore upon the night that she fell. Finally, the woman decided that she would approach them, more out of curiosity rather than to gather her dogs. She could yell at them from where she was for them to return and they would return back to her side, this she was sure of.

Snipe and shadow bounced around the ground, occasionally thrusting her noses into the hand of the male that had whistled to them and other times they would give a curious sniff to one of the snake people. The dogs would even spare the woman with horns a brief glance, but because they were not new to the Ethaefal race, they were not as interested. The dog man and the naked people swimming up onto the shore were pretty new to them, so for the dogs to be more curious about them was a simple matter of not knowing their kind. They were new to them and new was interesting, a trait that all three of them shared which was probably why Lynx wasn’t going to reprimand the loyal pets. As soon as she grew close enough to the group, Snipe and Shadow pulled away from the dog man to loop around her form, jumping up to receive a gentle pat upon the head. Angling her head, her hues flickered over the man that had shifted from the form of a dog, before a smile curved onto her lips. ”How did you do that? I mean call my dogs with that whistle of course.” Perhaps if she learned that whistle, then it would be easier to call the dogs back to her.
The Mind
Is a wealth of triggers
Image Image Image
Active Threads: 3/5
Lynx
The Mind is a Powerful Thing

Words: 70657
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2014, 10:41 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Road Ahead

Postby Yra on November 9th, 2014, 2:41 am

Yra cocked her head at the dog-man, struck by curiosity at his halting method of speech, yet completely understanding having to deal with an unfamiliar language. Her combat with Common was daily, and yet she was very adept in the language at her birth... a fact which confounded her.

"There are many places for rest in this city, but I use one without water. I cannot breathe water." The Ethaefal pouted at the realization that maybe these snake people, these Iyvess could breathe the water and therefore might be able to just sleep on the beach, under the languid waves that welcomed them ashore.

At Kyo's sudden whistling outburst, the Ethaefal startled that such a sound would come from a person's mouth, quickly hopping away to declare her exclamation and in expectancy of some other form of magic, like the transformations that the four of them, Iyvess, Ethaefal, and dog-man were capable of.

The magic, if it was magic, summoned dogs. It was mundane but... well, Yra would have expected this outcome if she'd known what it was. The term 'whistle' occurred to her, but the definition remained carefully clouded in fog.

Her attention, focused as it was upon the bounding dogs and their glee, rose for a moment to address the pale woman as she approached. Yra offered her a swift smile, looked back upon the dogs to wonder what sort of dogs they were, before finding herself drawn in by the approach of interested Akalak from the main greeting party.

"Oh, here comes help," she said, with utmost confidence.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Road Ahead

Postby Sarshassilivoss on November 10th, 2014, 11:30 pm

There were a lot of things for the Iyvess to absorb in the very few chimes he had been ashore. Firstly the slew of new people, their numbers only increasing for each tick that passed. Furry animals racing onto the beach at the man's whistle, a woman following them, and not trailing too far behind her, Akalaks coming out to greet the Iyvess that had wound up on shore.

Voss took a step or two back from the canines as the new female approached talking to Kyo, trying to take in what he and Yra were telling him about housing. Just as Common was not his forte, so too did it seem that perhaps it was not the first language of the people he was speaking with.

"Ahh, I do not know if ssuch thing you have, but iss worth assking yess?"

He looked up to see the advancing men, strangely hued and filled with purpose. One in particular came to their group, the largest of the amassing Iyvess thus far, and of course the co-mingling of Riverfall dwellers. Stark naked, Voss took a slightly more confident step towards two approaching Akalak, hands hanging at his sides, unsure of how to proceed or even what was expected of him in this situation. Deciding the safe bet was to wait until they had spoken first, Voss gave a simple inclination of his head and waited, hearing a strange, almost upset murmuring from the amassing crowd not upon the beach.

The one that pulled ahead of his fellow and chose to spoke was a deep crimson. Glancing behind him at the amassing crowds Voss could make out the subtle tint changes in the lined up Akalaks, deciding their skin color, while uniform, was quite comparative to the different coloration of his Iyvess brethren.

"Greetings...Iyvess. We were told of your coming by the forward party of your people. I see you have already been greeted by some of our own." He bowed his head respectively to Yra, and Lynx, a more casual glance directed at Kyo. "Your gift has been received, and we, the Akalak of Riverfall welcome you here."

Voss struggled a bit to keep up with the common, but he nodded as the male spoke. Behind him a ring of other naked individuals stood a respectful distance, dripping from the sea, seaweed nets containing what belongings would be of use to them on land being dragged to the beach. Noticing he had more of an audience the Akalak took a step back and raised his voice to continue. "You will find protection within this city as long as you abide by the laws of it." He gestured and his comrade stepped forward holding several scrolls. "Are you able to read Common?"

"Mosst of my comradess, no, but I can...a little." Voss offered a small smile. The Akalak nodded and handed him a scroll, giving some to the other figures as well.

"These are the rules of the city, you may roam it freely-"

"-But watch yourself, we don't know you, we don't trust you." The other Akalak finally spoke, a near growl escaping his lips at the end of his sentence. His comrade looked at him strangely, taking his arm and leading him away. Voss opened his mouth to ask his question to the both of them, but...perhaps it was better if he was quiet for now.

Turning back to his new comrades Voss glanced at his scroll, not caring to read through the rules just yet. A younger male came over to him, wearing garments to cover his naked human self and passed Voss a pair of kelp trousers. He took them gratefully and slipped them on, not enjoying the sensation of clothing, but deciding he would wear it nevertheless, as everyone save Kyo was wearing them as well.

"Many thankss for welcome. I think it iss time my people find place to sstay while here." He inclined his head again, smiling at Kyo before turning away to discuss the next steps with his denmates and fellow Iyvess

oocSo I figured I would leave it here, unless you guys felt strongly about continuing :), if so you guys can feel free to continue without Voss, if not perhaps everyone can make their final post and I'll turn it in for grading?
Sarshassilivoss
Player

Words: 35498
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Road Ahead

Postby Kyo on November 11th, 2014, 5:15 pm

It seemed all would be well. Or at least, for the snake-people-Iyvess. The blue-men came near, spoke, the snake-ones coming together and getting the writings-things that the blue-ones offered. Kyo would not have liked the blue-ones that spoke, especially not that later one, the one who made the harsher sounds, but he was too distracted to show his fear.

As the pup-dogs answered his call, Kyo lost the trail of speaking-words that he and the others had been sharing. Instead, he looked to the pups. At their closeness, some of the anxiety at being in this place with all these new people around melted away, as the sun does melt the ice and the snow and the frost on the grass in the morning. He knelt closer to the ground, holding his human-form hands out for the little dogs to sniff and nudge with their small noses. It was almost as if these dogs were old friends to him; certainly he liked dogs, as his family --his Brother and his Sister-- were dogs.

Trailing behind the pups was the female-form with the shining white hair. When she drew near, the two raced back to her side. Kyo remained kneeling, though he looked up at her when she spoke. ”How did you do that? I mean call my dogs with that whistle of course.”

"Whistle, ah~" he said, tilting his head to one side, thinking. He touched his head, his human hair, as he tried to bring the right word-sounds to his lips. "Ah, like..." He found he had no way of explaining about his boy, about how he had been taught. And something of the nervousness, that scaredness inside him, told him he should not speak about his boy, not to a human-form stranger, not in this city-place that might be good or might be bad. Not now.

So instead he shrugged his shoulders up and down, glancing at the white-haired's pups, before he looked up at her again. Still, even if he would not, could not speak of his boy... well, it wouldn't hurt to show, right? "Ah, like make-try." He shaped his mouth to the whistle again so she could see, blowing through more softly this time. Then he did it once more.

To the side, the Voss-friend and the others continued to speak. Kyo felt his attention torn that way, in time to catch the Voss say his thanks, and what sounded like a goodbye. It seemed so: the snake-ones were gathering, dragging their bundles of things from the water, pulling odd clothing
--which smelt strongly of the sea-- onto their human-form bodies. They would now go, then, and find a place to sleep in this big city? A water-place for sleeping, for staying... a place that Kyo could not go, for his feet --or his paws-- belonged on land. The young man let out a low whine in his throat at the sight of the others getting ready to leave... for once they were gone, would the others go, too? Would he then be alone in this big place, surrounded by blue-men-strangers? He did not want to be alone, without friends, without his dogs for comfort. Without such friends, he would need to look to himself for protection, only to himself.

In a flash and a flicker, the Kyo-form was gone. In his place sat the coyote. Though smaller than the human-forms, coyotes had their claws and their teeth. This coyote would be better in this form, if the others were going away.

In his own form of farewell, the coyote took a moment to dash around the others, brushing the sides of their long legs with his fur. He did this to the ones of his small friend-group, the Voss-one, the sun-girl. If they happened to linger further, the coyote would stick close to them, staying near their feet, perhaps letting them pat him or pet him as human-forms liked to do. If not, the coyote would turn his attention back to the dog-pups and their girl, and once he was done playing with them he would scent-trace his way back into the city, sticking close to the walls and giving any blue-strangers a wide berth.

OOCSorry for making this so scattered! I hope it's not too bad... but anyways, I think this will be my last post, as suggested. If anyone ever wants to thread, let me know! ^_^

Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Road Ahead

Postby Yra on December 15th, 2014, 2:53 am

As the group dwindled, Yra remained, forever guided by the sun to be welcoming and hospitable and simply bright. She was a strange person, a resident, and inclined her head to the swarming akalak and other Rivarians with every bit of grace even she, with all her uncoordinated movements, could muster.

As farewells were given, broken and whole in their own right, Yra regarded the moment with an edge of dismay, but it dimmed when she smiled at Voss, all happiness and pride at doing her first welcoming right, and inclined her head. "I shall be staying at the Kulkukan Inn, if you ever wish for company within the city," she said to him. "The invitation extends to any of you who may wish to come. We are all new here, especially to this land, yes?" Although the question was rhetorical, Yra winked before turning on her heel and following the fleeing tail of the dog.

Even if she wouldn't voice it, she wished that the moment could have lasted longer. So rare was it that she found herself amongst those not often seen amongst the people of Riverfall that she briefly reveled in not being alone, and her tailing of the dog was a halfhearted attempt to prolong that sense of belonging she had found only sparingly.

It was so easy to resolve to find them again, if even for a moment. Yra could do that.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Road Ahead

Postby Rosela on February 28th, 2015, 2:24 am

E
E
Congratulations! You've Been Awarded:

Voss :
XP:
Observation +3
Leadership +2

Lores:
Breathing on Land
Land Creatures Don’t Need Scales and Fins
The Kelvic Transformation
Female Akalaks Do not Have Horns
A Semi-Successful Reassuring Smile
Akalak: Alternate Colorings
Riverfall: Rules of The City
Riverfall: Not Very Trusting
Clothing is Needed on Land
Yra: Staying at the Kulkukan Inn

Additional: With half the people in this thread retired, I didn’t award you any lores related to them. If you’d like them anyway though, just let me know.

Yra :
XP:
Observation +3
Socialization +2

Lores:
Laviku: A Sacrifice of Blood
Iyvess: Half Snake, Half Human
The Kelvic Transformation
Answering Diplomatically About The Fall
Iyvess: Not a Cruel People
Iyvess: Seeking a Water Dwelling

Additional: With half the people in this thread retired, I didn’t award you any lores related to them. If you’d like them anyway though, just let me know.

Kyo :
XP:
Running +1
Observation +3
Socialization +1
Teaching +1

Lores:
Running Through Human Obstacles
Sensation of Fear-Running
Voss: Not Blue-Man, Not Snake
Yra: Incredible Beauty
Kelvics: Cannot Half-Transform
Ssianya: Another Half-Snake
Iyvess: Name for the Half-Snake People
Teaching: Whistling

Additional: Welcome back! I didn't add any lores related to retired or still-missing people, but let me know if you'd like them anyway. I really like how well you stick to Kyo's coyote side even while in human form. Many people forget that kelvics aren't humans who can change into animals, they're animals who can change into humans. It's great to see how intimate you are with animal body language in both forms.

Notes :
Kyo, Islakossianya, Lynx, if any of you ever decide to return to Mizahar, just let me know and I’ll add your grade here.

This wasn't a very skill-heavy thread, but I feel everyone got a fair amount of lores. It was really nice to see the thread come to a solid conclusion and everyone part ways amicably. Great job overall :)

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, don't hesitate to PM me. When you're finished, please edit or delete your grade request from the grading queue.
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous