Closed [RDF] Dress To Impress (Rosela)

The search for new clothes begins!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[RDF] Dress To Impress (Rosela)

Postby Aoren on February 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm

3rd of Winter, 514 AV
Early Afternoon

Aoren had taken a look at himself that morning. He had taken a look at the tattered linen shirt made dull with years of wear. He had taken a look at the worn trousers that, while comfortable, had definitely seen better days. His boots were dusty and he was certainly in need of some new ones. Aoren wouldn’t call himself vain but he did not take pleasure in looking like a bum. Wearing worn clothing was one thing while doing hard labor, that he had no problem with but he couldn’t stick to wearing all of his finer robes every day. It was time for an update to his wardrobe.

So he’d dressed himself as best he could with the cleanest simple clothes he owned. A black linen shirt with black leather pants that he tucked into his boots to fend against the cold. Once dressed he’d set out for the city proper in search of a store to find more casual and fitting clothes. His searching had lead him to a shop that had come highly recommended in terms of the quality of its clothing items. He was surprised to find it given that during his first few days of exploring the city he’d gone in search of more suitable attire.

Well, not that surprising. I didn’t really know the city that well.

He still didn’t know the ins and outs of Riverfall quite yet but he was certainly more familiar with it than he had been. Before him stood an unassuming building covered in ivy. It evoked a sense of simplicity but from what he’d heard that was part of its charm. A cold gust of wind had Aoren bracing himself against the cool temperatures with a slight shiver. He ducked his head making his way up to the door of the shop taking note of the clothing on display in the window. Taking hold of the handle on the door he opened it entering the cozy interior. Aoren took a look around the inside of the shop. What immediately struck him was how out of place he felt. Shops devoted to clothing and finery weren’t something he visited often and while most of the clothing he saw on display were rather practical in their appearance he would need some help.

Hello?” Perhaps the shopkeeper was tending to another client. Aoren went over to the section where it seemed the male clothing rested. He picked up a shirt and immediately realized that much of the clothing present would likely be tailored to fit the body of an Akalak. While Aoren was certainly not average in both stature and musculature he couldn’t match them. The truth was he really didn’t know where to start. His wardrobe tended to consist of very simple clothing and he didn’t purchase new articles often. Usually he ran his clothes into the ground making them last for years. Which was exactly the dilemma that had brought him into the shop that day.

If there’s a god of clothing, I need their help.” He muttered to himself. Aoren picked up a pair of trousers that were most decidedly too long in the legs to fit him. Folding up the trousers he placed them back. His search, he felt, would take some time.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rosela on March 3rd, 2015, 6:46 pm

E
E
It had already been a busy day by the time lunchtime came around, and Rosela found herself dashing to the back to take nibbles of her beef jerky sandwich in between customers. It was her day to man the desk alone, her first since reopening she shop at the start of the season, and already she wasn’t sure how she’d survive the rest of the winter. Her feet were killing her, she was starving, and her display of heavy fur cloaks seemed to be emptying faster than she could fill it.

At the moment, she was in the back room again, chewing determinedly at a piece of jerky as she loaded up three large cloaks over her arms. Just a chime and she’d be back up front, and no one would know she was –

“Hello?”

Just her luck. Rosela heard the voice echo through the shared fireplace to the back and she scrambled to stack up just one more cloak and finish her jerky. With a hard gulp, she swallowed it down and pushed backwards through the door to immediately started searching for her newest customer. Shuffling quickly over to the men’s section, she was lucky to hear him mumbling to himself. He was a dour one, dressed in all black, but at least clean. It was more than could be said for many of her clients.

On the shelf next to him, the bundle of cloaks were suddenly dropped with an exhausted sigh and Rosela smiled up at him, dramatically catching his attention. ”Wish granted!” A little more out of breath than she wanted, she took a moment to brush her hair from her face. ”Oh boy, I’m sorry about that, just ran to the back to restock. Welcome to Red Diamond Fashions, I’m Rosela. Is there anything I can help you find?”

He’d already taken the initiative to start looking for himself; that was a good sign. Rosela leaned to look at what he was inspecting at the moment, trousers. She cleared her throat as she began hanging up the cloaks she’d brought. ”Looking for pants today? We have more sizes in the back if you can’t find your length. Between Akalaks and humans and everyone else, I just can’t fit all the possible sizes out on the shelf at once.”

E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on March 8th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Aoren was a little startled at the sudden drop of cloaks right next to him. He looked up from the pants he’d been peering at to get a measure of the woman who seemingly materialized from nowhere. Eypharians were not a people he was unfamiliar with. He had worked under the guidance of one in Syliras as an apothecary for several years. He gave the woman a smile and a nod.

Well met, Rosela. I am Aoren.” He folded up the pair of pants that he’d been looking at replacing them back to where he’d found them.

Actually I am looking for several things, an update of my wardrobe. It’s been a long time since I’ve gone shopping for any clothes outside of necessity. I figured it was high time I stopped wearing my old ones after I noticed a hole in one of my shirts.” He chuckled giving a slight shrug of his shoulders. All of that aside Aoren did want some nicer clothing. He wasn’t what one would call a vain man but in a city as resplendent as Riverfall appeared to be, he most certainly didn't want to look like a vagabond. No doubt the attire he had on right then gave something of that impression.

Truthfully, I don’t even know where to start. I would like a few outfits, three at the very least. I do a moderate amount of manual labor so I’d like something practical but comfortable. I could also do with something a bit more casual, something to wear around friends and family in a relaxed setting.” Aoren reached up rubbing at the back of his head a small tinge of color coming to his cheeks as he averted his gaze to the floor.

I…uh…I could also use something a bit more impressive. To, well, to catch someone’s attention. Not too flashy but a step above what you would call casual.” Aoren’s thoughts went to Caelum for a moment. The Ethaefal was always of regal bearing even in the most mundane of attire. He couldn’t hope to match that but he could certainly wear something that would give Caelum pause to stare. He only hoped that he wouldn’t seem ridiculous for doing so.

I’m not very good when it comes to searching for clothes. Think you can guide me in the right direction?” Aoren wasn’t all that worried about the cost of the details. He certainly had a little room to spend money on himself. The clothing that he typically wore wasn’t tailored to his exact measurements only roughly his size causing some excess of fabric.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 15th, 2015, 11:46 pm

E
E
OOCBy request, I’ve started including photos in my recommendation posts. Let me know if you’d like to go without it :)
Rosela was surprised she wasn’t greeted with the usual gaping stare, and appreciated it for a moment. He didn’t look familiar, so she could only assume he had encountered one of the handful of other Eypharians in the city. ”Three outfits, we can certainly make that happen. All of our casualwear is built extra sturdy, since people tend to be pretty hard on their clothing in this city. Were you thinking two casual outfits and one a bit more formal?”

Leaning up on her toes to drape the last of the cloaks over the rack, she sighed and turned to face him fully. ”How about we start with the shirts, and work our way down, hm? Now, blondes like you tend to look great in paler colors, so how about we look at some grays, some blues, a little khaki… I’d recommend lavender, but I get a feeling that’s not your style.” She trailed off, hands fluttering over the shelves between them. ”Oh, what about this?

ImageFour hands lifted a stack of shirts to get at a gray version at the bottom. The other two snapped it out and laid it across the shelf. ”It is cotton, and a little thinner than the other options we have here, so you can make it work through spring. Don’t worry, those aren’t wrinkles though; they’re in the pattern of the fabric. If you think the fabric’s too thin though, we’ll look at some other options.

Image“Oh, here’s some nice checked shirts…very in this year. What do you think? Here, this is the color I’d recommend for you. Very heavy cotton, double-stitched – this thing will last through a battle on your back. Plus, properly cleaned and with the right pants, belt, and shoes, it can upgrade to semi-formal.”

She stepped back so he could inspect them both. ”So? What do you think?”
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on April 18th, 2015, 8:06 pm

NoteApologies for the delay! No worries on the pictures. They certainly help me out!

Aoren examined the clothing that Rosela presented to him. If he were being honest it was all a little over his head. He took hold of the shirt that the Eypharian offered looking over the design. The wrinkles in the pattern of the fabric didn’t bother him at all. He rubbed it between his fingers before offering a nod with a smile.

You would be correct. Lavender isn't really for me. I like this shirt though. I think I once saw a Svefra wear a similar style with calf length pants. It didn’t look half bad.” He draped the gray shirt over an arm as Rosela pulled out a checkered pattern. He shook his head immediately. He wasn’t fond of the pattern itself. The colors however weren’t something he was against.

I can’t say that I like the checkered pattern on shirts. It just doesn’t suit my tastes. I like the idea of sturdy clothing. I do a lot of heavy lifting from day to day. I work at the Sanctuary tending to both the animals and chores that need doing there.” He pondered for a moment on exactly what he thought he might need from a day to day basis in terms of clothing.

To answer your first question, yes. I was thinking two casual outfits and one strictly for formal occasions. As for color scheme, I was thinking something white with a mix of lighter blues?” He thought on how that might look trying to draw up a mental image. He had nothing solid to go on so the picture that he drew up was really nothing more than a smattering of colors next to colors. He reached up running a hand through his hair. There was a lot more to purchasing finer clothes than he had thought but Rosela seemed to know what she was talking about so he trusted her judgment. He would just be forthright about what appealed to him and let her take it from there. To make the sifting through clothing a little less dull he opted to be a conversational.

Do you hail from Ahnatep? I do not know much about the city itself but I had the privilege of working with one of your people in Syliras.” He recalled the years he’d spent as the apprentice to the Syliran apothecary, Sahfri Blackleaf. She had been a gentle woman with a great deal of patience in teaching him her art. Her lessons were something he carried with him every time that he practiced the crafts that aided his medicine or even when he called upon the Healing of Rak’keli.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes